Dialogue Play
Having trouble writing a character? Can't quite pin down their personality? Then this is the place for you! Come here and play your character as we put them through their paces. We'll help you find what makes them tick - and have fun while we're at it.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 Next »
Kyllorac

Have questions about the Plays? Ask them here!

1/27/2009 #1
Nicki BluIs

Um. I'm not sure if this is the right place but this is the closest thing to problem/questions I could find.

Kylie! You've got an error in Slice of Life intro. The template says "Romance" not Slice of Life. Also: What do the origins and backstory categories mean? Are they the same thing?

2/1/2009 #2
Nicki BluIs

Another question (although I may be able to find the answer in the rules): Do we only post dialogue? Or can actions be posted also? And if so how are actions distinguished? What I mean is we use double parentheses to distinguish oursleves from the character. How do we distinguish the character's words from the character's actions?

2/1/2009 #3
Kyllorac

Whoopsies @ Slice of Life.

Dialogue and narration will be the same as if you were writing a story. Quotation marks for dialogue and none for narrative/action.

Actions can be posted.

2/1/2009 #4
Fractured Illusion

Question:

Can random people jump into a convo and you know, say something? Give concrit of how it's going? Like, "dude your character is too boring. Try this"?

2/1/2009 #5
Kyllorac

So long as it's marked in double parentheses, I don't see why not, but all such discussions belong in the Editor's Hall.

2/1/2009 #6
Raine Skye

I hope I'm posting this question in the right place.

Can we introduce two characters at once in the intro DPs? I have two character I need to develop more in my head, but if I only do one I can't help but feel I won't be able to grasp an important part of their personality...So yeah, that's my question.

3/23/2009 #7
Nicki BluIs

There is no limit in the number of characters you can introduce. However in the DPs we preffer that you not double post (if playing as multiple characters at the same time). Rather, put all the action for your charater(s) in a single post OR allow someone else to make their post before you post as a different character.

Let me know if this is confusing and I'll try to clarify.

To comment on Frac's question, I think that should be limited to redirecting the player to the Editor's Hall for discussion. (is that what Kylie just said? cuz i feel redundant now lol)

on that note I feel like there should be some feedback of some sort after/during the DPs... so far we've been doing that in BR but really unofficially. Should it become a ormal thing? Or would we leave it up to the author to ask for feedback if they need it?

3/23/2009 . Edited 3/23/2009 #8
Raine Skye

Alright, I think I understand. I think I'm going to make it less complicated by just switching which character I use every act. Thank you for answering my question though. You help me make my final decision on what I was going to do. XP

3/23/2009 #9
Ratlynx623

okay, i am just confused about this whole thing. the category forum sounded good, as it will help me with my characters, but i don't understand what i do. do i just find the correct post and start acting out my chacracter? and i write stories about animals, so how would a rat or hermit crab fit into a role-play-like thing?

4/3/2009 #10
Kyllorac

do i just find the correct post and start acting out my chacracter?

Pretty much.

and i write stories about animals, so how would a rat or hermit crab fit into a role-play-like thing?

Are they animal-animals or Redwall-style animals? In either case, how they fit in is up to you, though it would be more difficult for animal-animals. You might want to try the Fantasy DP in both cases because there you'd be able to bend the rules of reality a bit and have your characters talk with non-animal characters.

4/4/2009 #11
Ratlynx623

thanks, i would make a human character, but then i would be inventing a character for the sole purpose of doing this. my characters are animal-animal, but maybe i could use one of my characters who is a lynx, and he has some magical properties and started out as a human. (not one of my better stories, but i could make it better.) i could have his human form, and he occasionally turns into a lynx. this isn't exactly how it works in my story, but do you think it would work all right?

4/4/2009 #12
Kyllorac

Yeah. It sounds like it will work just fine. :D

4/4/2009 #13
Ratlynx623

Err..I have a problem. I posted on the Fantasy thing yesterday, and it turned up, but when i just checked it my post was deleted. Why?

4/5/2009 #14
Nicki BluIs

((Ratlynx, please be careful to read what's happening in the previous posts before posting. I think you may have confused which Act we're currently in. Also, head over to Crew Listings to introduce yourself and all that fun stuff. :D ))

That is what karma-dollie (the Mod for the Fantasy DP) wrote in the latest post. I think if you read what's going on and fit you player in accordingly, you can go ahead and post again. Also intro-ing yourself in Crew Listing is not mandatory as far as I know; but it does help the mods know who's playing.

4/5/2009 #15
Denizen47

As Radio stated at the end of her post:

((Ratlynx, please be careful to read what's happening in the previous posts before posting. I think you may have confused which Act we're currently in. Also, head over to Crew Listings to introduce yourself and all that fun stuff. :D ))

As you already introduced yourself I think the problem is that you didn't backread the Act - your character has to interact with the current scenario and characters in it.

4/5/2009 #16
karma-dollie

Sorry, I'm on so spastically today. ;p

Ratlynx, from what I read of your post, it looked like you may have been confused about which Act we were on. It didn't make sense as far as I could see and I read it over a few times so in order to avoid confusion for the other players, I deleted it. I suggest waiting for the next Act since this one will be done soon and then you can start fresh with the next one. :)

4/5/2009 #17
Ratlynx623

I was TRYING to introduce my character in before i actually did anything, and i did read most of the posts, though i missed a fewaround the middle. I kinda didn't understand what i was supposed to do, so i was hoping to kind of put my character in there and then see how he would fit in and hope i could do it right.=.=. i am seriously messing up:(

4/6/2009 #18
karma-dollie

No worries. :) We don't penalize people who make honest mistakes. To introduce your character so late in an Act is hard, which is why I suggested waiting until the next Act was up (which it is now.) If you have any questions about how the DPs work, please ask. We're happy to answer.

And in case it's not clear since this is how I viewed your post, each Act is separate from one another unless stated otherwise. When we say to read the previous posts, you only need to read the previous posts of the current Act.

4/6/2009 #19
T.J. Kroyer

I've got me a bit of a problem. According to the rules i need to post at least once per day. However i can only really get on the internet on saturdays. Rarely do i have internet access any other time. Im usually on for about seven straight hours on saturdays, couldn't i DP then and when i'm ready to leave, pull my characters out with some convenient plot point?

4/11/2009 #20
Chasing Skylines

I've got me a bit of a problem. According to the rules i need to post at least once per day. However i can only really get on the internet on saturdays. Rarely do i have internet access any other time. Im usually on for about seven straight hours on saturdays, couldn't i DP then and when i'm ready to leave, pull my characters out with some convenient plot point?

Yes, you could. The "one post per day" rule isn't strictly enforced, as it can't be, and in your case, it'd be an exception.

4/11/2009 #21
Nicki BluIs

Yes, you could

I concur! I really appreaciate you taking the time to ask about this and as Slice of Life mod I'd be happy to make an exception. *borrows AM Radio's gavel* I have spoken! :P

4/11/2009 #22
Melancholic Marionette

Question: I need to develop a new character for a new story, but I'm not sure where he fits in.

He's basically a psychic, with the ability of precognition (seeing the future) and I'm a little sketchy on whether he belongs in Fantasy or Supernatural or somewhere else.

That, and whether or not the answer to my question is somewhere that I can't find. Sorry if it is, heh. ^^;

4/12/2009 #23
Chasing Skylines

This is the story you want to do that you posted in Help with your Writing at RG, right?

I say Supernatural.

4/12/2009 . Edited 4/12/2009 #24
karma-dollie

I agree with Sesshy. If that's his only "power" so to speak, I think Supernatural is his area.

4/12/2009 #25
Melancholic Marionette

This is the story you want to do that you posted in Help with your Writing at RG, right?

Yeah. Thanks loads, by the way. I was afraid I of doing something dumb. ^^;

4/12/2009 #26
Ratlynx623

oh, umm, i was wondering about nicknames. when i introduced the only character i have even slightly used on the crew listing, some people mentioned nicknames or something. Do we have to think of something for people to call us? one person just said Lynx, and i would be personally fine with that, as on almost every sight people call me lynx. (my name is always ratlynx or lynxlover. except where i am stormstream, and i am just called storm)

but anyway, to get to the point (finally) do we have to have them? do we think of them ourselves, or do others do it? hmmm...im going to look up something cool in japanese, just in case. whenever i need a name, i look to the japanese....or latin... or greek, for that matter. if i can find a good translation, irish. because everyone loves the irish!

oh, and i want to apologize for being very chatty in the post. i didn't type on my story today, so i am typing a lot every chance i get.

4/15/2009 #27
Nicki BluIs

HAHA! Oh Lynx you slay me! It is not that serious. A nick name is just something we mods give you for you to feel welcome and part of the group... if you don't want one fine. But you dont have to worry about it so much. For example I am Bubbles! But if you call me Nicki I won't like yell at you or something.

and come chat in the Break Room! thats what its for!

4/15/2009 #28
Chasing Skylines

HAHA! Oh Lynx you slay me! It is not that serious. A nick name is just something we mods give you for you to feel welcome and part of the group... if you don't want one fine. But you dont have to worry about it so much.

What Bubbles said. It's just a nickname. Whatever floats your boat.

4/15/2009 #29
ISA-Sniper

I have a problem. I don't know how to get my characters involved: they're the characters for a Vietnam War story and none of the acts would probably fit their involvement.

1/26/2010 #30
Page 1 2 Next »
Forum Moderators: Kyllorac karma-dollie, Denizen47, Chasing Skylines, Nicki BluIs
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member