Dialogue Play
Having trouble writing a character? Can't quite pin down their personality? Then this is the place for you! Come here and play your character as we put them through their paces. We'll help you find what makes them tick - and have fun while we're at it.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Kyllorac

Have ideas for future Acts? Want a Play for a genre we don't have? Any suggestions on how to improve this forum? Make them here - they're always appreciated.

1/27/2009 . Edited 1/27/2009 #1
Ratlynx623

umm.....can there be a section for animal characters? so we wouldn't have to make them talking and interacting with humans? I only write animal stuff, and i don't know where i could fit a rat or hermit crab, or lynx in without making them only interact with humans, which would ruin their personality. I am not sure if there are any others that feel the same way.

4/3/2009 #2
Nicki BluIs

hmmm.... I don't think there's that big of a demand to justify having a animals-only DP... I don't know many authors who would be able to use it... That said I think it could be an Act in Fantasy... like have it in the rules that only animals (or maybe anthromorph whatevers too... like Mystic's character) can play. But that would be up to AM Radio's discretion.

4/5/2009 #3
MonaSnail

Maybe you could set up a thriller/crime Play? Like more to the tone of Kill Bill or Ocean's 11 (I know these are films, but most of the stories I write are inspired by events that are extremely unlikely to happen outside of Hollywood, and do you know I can't think of a single book similar to what I write) - the focus is not on romance, supernatural/sci-fi events are not involved, and they aren't all about serial killers and policemen. And they definately aren't "average" things to happen (one would hope.) Most of the action takes place in the grey areas, or in the outright murk of Beyond the Law. Anyway, I love this idea but my genre is not there :( so if you could set one up that would be awesome :)

Mona~x

1/20/2010 #4
Chasing Skylines

I do feel that Slice of Life is being rather stretched because of its versatility; anything that doesn't fit into the other DPs gets shoved into there.

- slams gavel and calls for a Mod Discussion -

1/26/2010 #5
Nicki BluIs

Fair warning: As I am the mod of Slice of life I can't even PRETEND to be impartial. Anything that would limit the characters in my play and/or dilute my power (cuz im trying to conquer the world dontcha know?) equals bad idea, in my opinion. Hopefully I can substantiate my claimes well enough.

wellll I agree and disagree. I agree that slice of life is versatile but I disagree with "stretched" and "shoved into there". It makes it seem like it has reached a point where there are things beyond it's scope and I dont feel that is the case. The whole point was for it to be a "general" thread.

EDIT: Just read the suggestion about a thriller/crime play. While I understand your point, I must respectfully disagree.

~DP forum is still MUCH too small and admittedly much too dead to create what would be a niche genre.

~Please remember that the Plays do not have to correspond to the genre of the story you're writing; the character just has to fit.

~There is ALWAYS the option of suggesting parameters for the Acts. Not all of them have to "anything goes." The Black Friday act, for example, was thriller/crime-ish and would have been a lot of fun had it been more active.

Those are my main points for now... Let's see what the other have to say before I keep running my mouth :)

1/26/2010 . Edited 1/26/2010 #6
Chasing Skylines

~DP forum is still MUCH too small and admittedly much too dead to create what would be a niche genre.

~Please remember that the Plays do not have to correspond to the genre of the story you're writing; the character just has to fit.

I agree with these [not that I don't agree with the other points].

1/26/2010 . Edited 1/26/2010 #7
MonaSnail

Fair enough :) Thanks for the consideration anyway, it's a shame more people don't use this forum :(

Mona~x

1/27/2010 #8
Kyllorac

And I'm sorry for the deadness. T_T

1/31/2010 #9
bradley0071
I agree that slice of life is versatile but I disagree with "stretched" and "shoved into there". It makes it seem like it has reached a point where there are things beyond it's scope and I dont feel that is the case.
4/21/2012 #10
Forum Moderators: Kyllorac karma-dollie, Denizen47, Chasing Skylines, Nicki BluIs
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member