Dialogue Play
Having trouble writing a character? Can't quite pin down their personality? Then this is the place for you! Come here and play your character as we put them through their paces. We'll help you find what makes them tick - and have fun while we're at it.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 .. Last Next »
Kyllorac

Mods, come here to discuss stuff. Like rules that need to be added, things that need to be made clearer, etc.

2/1/2009 #1
Denizen47

Hey with the Acts thing. I think it needs to be made clearer.

I mean, like who decides when an Act is finished? Can more than one run at the same time (in the same play)? Can they be linked (like Act I, II ect...) Does the Act-Mod have to make a new character?

There were other things, but I've forgotten :p

2/1/2009 #2
Kyllorac

The Play Mod decides when Acts are finished.

Only one Act can be run at a time (but since all Acts have to be Mod-approved, I figured there was no need to include this in the rules).

There's no rule against linking Acts.

No, but it's helpful when a Mod/Manager needs/wants to participate in the Play.

2/1/2009 #3
Denizen47

Ah, k. Thankies. Zion understands.

2/1/2009 #4
karma-dollie

The Play Mod decides when Acts are finished.

And how do they do this?

2/1/2009 #5
Kyllorac

They'll make a post announcing when an Act will/must be finished by in the Play.

Once that date comes around, they will make an Act Closed post.

2/1/2009 . Edited 2/1/2009 #6
Nicki BluIs

We need to find a way to manage character leaving. Like we have the On Vacation for long periods of time. But what if the user is just going to bed?

2/1/2009 #7
Denizen47

It may be just using the double parenthesis to say ((Am leaving now.)) And all other characters in the Play ignore that character until he/she returns.

2/1/2009 #8
Kyllorac

It may be just using the double parenthesis to say ((Am leaving now.)) And all other characters in the Play ignore that character until he/she returns.

That's one way.

Another way is to encourage that the person exits their character for the scene, like walking out of the room or something similar.

2/1/2009 #9
Nicki BluIs

Another way is to encourage that the person exits their character for the scene, like walking out of the room or something similar.

I like that better because it keeps the action flowing smoothly.

2/1/2009 #10
karma-dollie

Kylie, could you give an example of what an Act scenario would be like that isn't Anything Goes?

2/1/2009 #11
Kyllorac

There would be a pre-planned plot to the Act. Certain events would occurr no matter what the Players' characters did/said, and there would be a definite end to the Act. The Mod/Act Manager would be more of a force of nature than a Player and would have control over several Act-specific characters (which they would use to advance the plot).

2/1/2009 #12
Chasing Skylines

I like that better because it keeps the action flowing smoothly.

Agreed.

Kylie, could you give an example of what an Act scenario would be like that isn't Anything Goes?

I was also wondering this. Is it just one line that serves as the setting and or 'theme', etc.?

2/1/2009 #13
Chasing Skylines

There would be a pre-planned plot to the Act. Certain events would occurr no matter what the Players' characters did/said, and there would be a definite end to the Act. The Mod/Act Manager would be more of a force of nature than a Player and would have control over several Act-specific characters (which they would use to advance the plot).

Where is the plot planned? Is it planned in Act Management?

So, basically, it's the structure, but creative license and all that is applied?

What do you mean by force of nature? And Act-specific characters? Or those characters us, or ones made specificall for that Act?

2/1/2009 #14
Denizen47

So would you set it out like say: *thinks of situation*

In Food Court there is a terrorism scare. The Court is locked down, this Act will allow your characters to react under the immense pressure and fear of such a situation. There will be a few casualties and it will be resolved with the swift action of a SWAT team.

Would that be too short? Too long?

2/1/2009 #15
karma-dollie

So, basically, it's the structure, but creative license and all that is applied?

I'm screwed. Haha! Only kidding. :)

2/1/2009 #16
Nicki BluIs

In Zion's fabulous example would the mods be essential characters such as the President, the Terrorist, the SWAT team, etc?

2/1/2009 #17
Chasing Skylines

In Food Court there is a terrorism scare. The Court is locked down, this Act will allow your characters to react under the immense pressure and fear of such a situation. There will be a few casualties and it will be resolved with the swift action of a SWAT team.

Basing off that, an Act is sort of the idea? The play would be the idea 'acted' (hah) out.

2/1/2009 #18
Kyllorac

Where is the plot planned? Is it planned in Act Management?

Director's License. It's in the rules (somewhere).

Yes.

What do you mean by force of nature? And Act-specific characters? Or those characters us, or ones made specificall for that Act?

I mean they control the setting, the pacing of events in the plot, the weather, the wildlife, etc. Act-specific characters are created specifically for each act. Say, your Act is taking place in a posh mansion. You'd need a butler, some maids, and at least one cook; all of them would be Act-specific characters.

Act-specific characters can be resused since it would be a pain to create a ton of individual butlers for each Act that has a butler.

2/1/2009 #19
Kyllorac

So would you set it out like say: *thinks of situation*

Exactly.

Would that be too short? Too long?

It seems like a decent size to me.

2/1/2009 #20
Kyllorac

In Zion's fabulous example would the mods be essential characters such as the President, the Terrorist, the SWAT team, etc?

Yes.

@Fluffy - That's how I came up with the name. :P

2/1/2009 #21
Chasing Skylines
Regarding Act-specific characters being reused: Would there be a list of those characters? Or should it be remembered (since there would still be quite a load of them)?
2/1/2009 #22
Denizen47

A character bank? That'd be funky!

2/1/2009 #23
Kyllorac

Regarding Act-specific characters being reused: Would there be a list of those characters? Or should it be remembered (since there would still be quite a load of them)?

Remembered. I don't think anyone wants to maintain that list. XD

Then again, Zion seems to be volunteering. :P

2/1/2009 . Edited 2/1/2009 #24
Chasing Skylines
I need a list! Organization is key. Though I don't follow that certain philosophy in real life...
2/1/2009 #25
Nicki BluIs

Still on the subject on Act specific characters: can only a mod use them? What if no mod is available?

2/1/2009 #26
Denizen47

It's the Act-Mod who'll be using them, will it be at their discretion whether other players can use them?

2/1/2009 #27
Kyllorac

Still on the subject on Act specific characters: can only a mod use them? What if no mod is available?

Act Managers can because, for the duration of the Act, they pretty much are Mods.

2/1/2009 #28
Kyllorac

It's the Act-Mod who'll be using them, will it be at their discretion whether other players can use them?

Yeah.

2/1/2009 #29
Nicki BluIs

I agree about the list thing; I think it could be like nameless people. And it would be kept in the Act post in each respective play. So right now the in Slice of Life I could in theory have list that says: Cashier, Janitor, Store Manager

2/1/2009 #30
Page 1 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Kyllorac karma-dollie, Denizen47, Chasing Skylines, Nicki BluIs
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member