Dialogue Play
Having trouble writing a character? Can't quite pin down their personality? Then this is the place for you! Come here and play your character as we put them through their paces. We'll help you find what makes them tick - and have fun while we're at it.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 2 3 Next »
Nicki BluIs

*runs of to read about Act Managers*

2/1/2009 #31
Kyllorac

I agree about the list thing; I think it could be like nameless people. And it would be kept in the Act post in each respective play.

That's already required for planned Acts. Not so much spontaneous since it's made up as we go, but you could if you want to.

So right now the in Slice of Life I could in theory have list that says: Cashier, Janitor, Store Manager

Yeah.

2/1/2009 #32
Nicki BluIs

Then we're set. Seems like evrything is covered I think.

2/1/2009 #33
Chasing Skylines
Too much talk... but no play. Literally.
2/1/2009 #34
Kyllorac

I've updated the Act Management thread so things are clearer.

2/1/2009 #35
karma-dollie

For the Anything Goes plots, are we trusting the players to create their own Big Bads or whatever the situation is or do they have to keep it pretty low key considering the plot is forming as they go along? I can imagine arguments popping up if someone doesn't like how someone else is trying to steer the plot.

2/1/2009 #36
Kyllorac

For the Anything Goes plots, are we trusting the players to create their own Big Bads or whatever the situation is or do they have to keep it pretty low key considering the plot is forming as they go along? I can imagine arguments popping up if someone doesn't like how someone else is trying to steer the plot.

They'd keep it pretty low as a general rule. If disagreements do crop up, the Act Manager has final call and there's always the Chill Pill.

2/1/2009 #37
karma-dollie

Ah! Okie dokie! :)

2/1/2009 #38
Nicki BluIs

Quick question: Do characters in the intro need mod approval before they can post? Because I posted without approval this morning.

2/1/2009 #39
Chasing Skylines

I think that would needlessly fill up the topics (especially for if some people come and go).

2/1/2009 #40
Nicki BluIs

Posting this here for the record: Are there special rules for mods that enable them to post as themselves in DPs? Or do they too have to create characters from their stories? Kylie's post(s) in Slice of Life DP prompts this question.

2/1/2009 #41
Kyllorac

Posting this here for the record: Are there special rules for mods that enable them to post as themselves in DPs? Or do they too have to create characters from their stories? Kylie's post(s) in Slice of Life DP prompts this question.

I'm not posting as myself; I just couldn't think of a better name than Kylie at that moment. XD

But in Act Management, I've already mentioned that the Act Manager/Mod can create a character who does not belong to a story and Play with it. The moment the Act ends, the character is locked away, though they can be reused if the person manages another Act.

As for mod-approval for characters, it's not necessary. We should only have to step in if someone creates a character just to play.

2/1/2009 #42
Chasing Skylines

As for mod-approval for characters, it's not necessary. We should only have to step in if someone creates a character just to play.

But how do we know this, considering you stated it can be from a story not currently uploaded?

I'm not posting as myself; I just couldn't think of a better name than Kylie at that moment. XD

Talk about a self-insert. XD

2/1/2009 . Edited 2/1/2009 #43
Kyllorac

But how do we know this, considering you stated it can be from a story not currently uploaded?

We could make the story summary mandatory. And require linkage for stories that are uploaded.

2/1/2009 #44
Nicki BluIs

Fair enough. Another problem: solved! Man we are such efficient mods! *pats self on the back*

2/1/2009 #45
Nicki BluIs

I actually like the story summary and linkage idea because that makes it easier to enforce and it focuses the user to developing the character rather than just messing around.

2/1/2009 #46
Chasing Skylines

We could make the story summary mandatory. And require linkage for stories that are uploaded.

Story summary - that means they could still be in planning, and therefore have a character, and be able to participate in the Plays, right?

2/1/2009 #47
Nicki BluIs

right?

Well, yeah, isn't that the whole point? If your story is done, posted and perfect then you really don't need DP to develop your characters, do you?

2/1/2009 #48
Chasing Skylines

Well, yeah, isn't that the whole point? If your story is done, posted and perfect then you really don't need DP to develop your characters, do you?

What I'm thinking is: The person could make up a summary and say it's in the planning/writing stages.

Though I guess I doubt anyone would go so far.

2/1/2009 #49
Kyllorac

Story summary - that means they could still be in planning, and therefore have a character, and be able to participate in the Plays, right?

Yes. That tends to be when authors need the most help with characters. :P

Especially with as many RP forums as there are on this site.

2/1/2009 . Edited 2/1/2009 #50
Nicki BluIs

Yeah you'd have to be quite the loser. And if anything maybe they'll be inspired to actually write the story, lol.

2/1/2009 #51
Chasing Skylines

Yes. That tends to be when authors need the most help with characters. :P

Maybe that needs to be clear? From the rules I thought it meant that you had to have at least part of the story written (even if it's just a page), or uploaded, and not just outlines.

2/1/2009 #52
Kyllorac

I think we'll leave the rules as is for now and see how things work/how people interpret it.

2/1/2009 #53
Chasing Skylines

I think we'll leave the rules as is for now and see how things work/how people interpret it.

Gotcha.

2/1/2009 #54
Nicki BluIs

I just realized that Mods have other cool super powers such as banning, creating topics and what not... Where do I go to do these nifty things? Is there an management page?

2/2/2009 #55
Chasing Skylines

Yes, Bubbles, the shield comes with extra features.

Ban - Press the 'Mod' button (like the thing to get 'edit' out).

Creating topic - Right side of the forum page.

2/3/2009 #56
Kyllorac

Fluffy, I can't believe you actually banned Lime.

Well, I suppose she was asking for it. XD

She has been unbanned. :D

2/3/2009 #57
Nicki BluIs

Yay @ Lime's unbanishment!!

Okay, I have another question. If a player wants to use a character in more than one DP does s/he have to re-into that character in each category? For example if Kris suddenly develops X-ray vision (HA!) do I have to re-intro him in the Supernatural DP? What if I just want him to fall in love; do I re-intro him to the Romance DP?

2/3/2009 #58
Chasing Skylines

Well, I suppose she was asking for it. XD

Literally. And more like Frac and her forced me to. And I did a one-day ban. And I can copy and paste her testimony to my innocence (in this case).

Don't kill me! XD

2/3/2009 #59
Chasing Skylines

Okay, I have another question. If a player wants to use a character in more than one DP does s/he have to re-into that character in each category? For example if Kris suddenly develops X-ray vision (HA!) do I have to re-intro him in the Supernatural DP? What if I just want him to fall in love; do I re-intro him to the Romance DP?

I think that would work better, and clear. Every person who's in a particular DP should've posted in that Intro. It's organized, at the very least.

2/3/2009 #60
« Prev Page 1 2 3 Next »
Forum Moderators: Kyllorac karma-dollie, Denizen47, Chasing Skylines, Nicki BluIs
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member