Break Writer's Block
Do you have a case of Writer's Block? Click on the link for the cure! Aspiring writers welcome.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
Lime-Cat

If you have a detailed, well-thought out description of your suggestion, please feel free to post it here. Your suggestion will be discussed and a mod will determine whether or not it should be implemented based on the response of the users of the forum.

Well-constructed ideas welcome.

--

When posting in this thread, please follow this format for organizational purposes!

For NEW suggestions, start your post with "New Suggestion - *subject of suggestion*" (without the quotations, course)

When REPLYING to new suggestions, start your post with "@*suggestion subject*" (again, without the quotations)

A mod will close discussion of open suggestions with "*suggestion subject* - CLOSED".

1/29/2009 . Edited 1/29/2009 #1
Fractured Illusion

New Suggestion - Inspirational topic(s)

A topic collected of all sorts of inspiring things (quotes/pics). This is not your own stuff though. Important distinction.

OR

like Rivers (dreamweaver) phrased it in RG: where people leave their dead sentences. Sentences they made but can't really use. Donate your writing, so to speak. Post nr 3010, for more info on that.

I think having something for inspiration is important in a Writing Block forum. :) One of the important things anyways. You can go with both in one topic, or both in separate topics too. Not just either or.

Since this is a rather simple idea, I don't think I need to elaborate further unless you want me to :)

1/29/2009 #2
Lime-Cat

@Inspirational topic(s)

Oh. Something like "Trash to Treasure" thing, right? You told me about this in some OT in the RG and I am already planning on implementing something like this. I think the "writer's scraps" and inspirational quotes/pictures go hand in hand - both can be inspirational. These will be lumped together into a sorts of "Sources of Inspiration: from Trash to Treasure" or something like that.

I've got a general idea of how I want this implemented, so thanks for the reminder! :D I'll just leave this open to whoever that wants to comment on it until I get around to creating the topic.

1/29/2009 #3
Fractured Illusion

New Suggestion - Challenge Yourself!

A topic that is open all the days of the week. It is a competition SORT OF, but only against yourself. Writings Block is something personal, I think, so this topic is designed to reach that aspect.

Ahem. Let me summarize.

First post: You (the mod) give the essential info: You post in this (the Challenge Yourself topic) to set a deadline for yourself. The max length deadline we allow is (insert X days here. Like 5 days). The minimum words we require is X (ie, 100 words for stories, 10 for poems) Maybe even write what genre you are to write in, or something else.

This is how you play.

It's all in one post (per piece). You post to register. In your registration, you say that you are challenging yourself. Set a goal regarding your desired word count and desired time to accomplish.

THIS PARAGRAPH IS OPTIONAL TO INCLUDE AND I DO NOT SPEAK FOR OR AGAINST IT! To motivate extra, if you fail to meet your own deadline, you will be penalized by having to review another person in that topic.

So this is a topic to just get them to write. Making all public declarations of it also makes us, psychologically, try harder than if we just silently promised ourselves. Since others will know of our failure, we try harder to not have to suffer through it.

I want to stress that this should be open at all days of the month. It's a personal competition against oneself, not against others.

1/29/2009 #4
Fractured Illusion

New Suggestion - BWB Links

Not to FP forums, but to articles and such. A little topic created to hosting a link-guide to several How-To-Break-Writers-Block articles. Trust me, they're out there. I googled :o

I don't really know how much else to elaborate on this... i think it's a reasonable idea, considering so many have already given so many tips. So then people could see what fits them the best?

1/29/2009 #5
Fractured Illusion

New Suggestion - Accomplishments

(yeah I am on full drive here :O Feel free to ignore these sugs, Miss Mod XD)

So, like, what does writer-blockers need? To know there is hope! XD

So there could be a topic where you tell how much you wrote today/these last few days/this week. Measured in paragraphs/words/pages/whatever fits best. You know, happy atmosphere, yay for accomplishments. And you can compare to how you did the previous week or something and try to figure out why you wrote less.

I am not really sure of this idea, but I figured it was worth throwing out there. Maybe once more people is here and starts getting active this topic can be put to use. :)

1/29/2009 #6
Lime-Cat

@BWB Links

That's a good idea - will be implemented.

@Challenge Yourself!

I will wait until this forum picks up a little to implement this. I need to get a consensus on who may be interested in this. ^^

@Accomplishments

I find this one a little difficult to keep track of, but is a good self-help tool. This will be brought up again when there are more people in BWB. :D

1/31/2009 #7
UndeadWithoutCoffee

@Challenge: I like that!!!!

@Accomplishments: This is a nice thing too. Maybe it can be a bit like "selfplug" because if I say something like Hey I wrote another scene. And others saying great is a good feeling.

2/3/2009 . Edited 2/3/2009 #8
Lime-Cat

@Challenge Yourself

Net, would you like to make the protoype post? ^^' I still have to write RTF. haha.

2/3/2009 #9
Lime-Cat

New Suggestion - Mandatory linking to BWB

Should we require those who participate in BWB to link to the forum? We need people to get the word out...and who better than our members? :D

2/3/2009 #10
UndeadWithoutCoffee

@Challenge: Prototype post? What do you want in it? The rules? If so I will be right on it ;)

2/3/2009 . Edited 2/3/2009 #11
UndeadWithoutCoffee

@Mandatory: I wouldn´t make it mandatory.

You could suggest that people put it in there profile at the introductions though. In the first post.

2/3/2009 . Edited 2/3/2009 #12
Lime-Cat

@Challenge Yourself - Prototype post

Yea...the rules and how it will work. all that good stuff. Could you post it here before making a topic? Thanks. :D

@Mandatory linking

Since we don't have any challenge threads open yet, I'd like to make it mandatory for those that participate in challenges though. What do you think?

2/3/2009 #13
UndeadWithoutCoffee

Welcome to Challenge Yourself!

This is a game that will help to get over a writer´s block.

In the first post you are required to set up a goal for yourself, this can be to write a new chapter in one of your existing stories or a new story or a poem. You have to give an explicit date and as an extra motivation the penalty for failure will be that you have to review one of the others taking part in this challenge, and who have accomplished their goal.

For example:

Person A: I want to write a chapter with approximately 1500 words for my story [insert name] and I want to be done in 5 days! The piece will be about ...

If I fail I will review one of my fellow participants!

If you accomplish your goal link to the chapter/story/poem as an edit in your first post for us to see that you made it in your own deadline. The reward will be the advertisement and readers you get through the linking of the stories.

The challenge will be open all month as this is a challenge against yourself and not a competition against others.

Of course you are welcomed to try out as often as you wish!

@challenge: Okay this is sort of a first draft. The reviewing part can be erased though if we use it I would say that those are to be reviewed that accomplished their goals before. That way meeting the deadline will be an extra reward.

@mandatory linking: I think it´s a bit too much pressure, some people might not want to put links in their profiles.

2/3/2009 . Edited 2/3/2009 #14
Lime-Cat

@Challenge Yourself - Prototype

Questions:

1) I thought the point was for someone else to set a goal for you....? Frac had suggested a mod set the goal. Do you think it's better to have the participant set their own goal?

2) the reviewing part: what if there are no participants that accomplish their goal? o_O I like the review part as an extra reward though...We need review guidelines! D:

@Mandatory linking

It's too much pressure (aka too much to ask) to paste a link in their profile when they are participating in one of our challenges? really? I don't think that's too much to ask. We provide a service that they use, they give a little bit back with a mere link on their page. I'm not mad or anything...I'm only trying to justify my argument.

2/3/2009 #15
UndeadWithoutCoffee

1) I thought the point was for someone else to set a goal for you....? Frac had suggested a mod set the goal. Do you think it's better to have the participant set their own goal?

@Challenge: I´d say the mod shouldn´t decide alone. Maybe the participant can set up a wish for a date and the mod says okay? We have to take into account that not all people have the same amount of freetime for writing. We could have something like a maximum per wordcount? So for 500 words it´s like 2 days 1000 words 4 days or so?

If there are no accomplished ones yet the people can review fellow participants but once there are it´s the people who made it. Maybe we can take the EF from RG? I find that appropriate.

But on the whole I think the participants should have a say in their deadlines because they are still doing it for fun. Mods can interfere if they want like three weeks for 500 words or so.

@Mandatory linking: I would say they are required to place a reference to this forum ( and the challenge) in the ANs and the summary of the stories they write while using challenges/scraptreasure. I would prefer that above profile link plus many readers don´t bother looking at profiles I think so more people will see it in the ANs I guess.

2/3/2009 . Edited 2/3/2009 #16
Lime-Cat

@Challenge

Yea, I see what you're getting at. You want to go for a deadline:word ratio? I don't oppose that, I'm just afraid there will be abuse for the freedom we give. D:

Question! Should we separate poems from stories? I'm OK with letting story challenge participants naming their own deadline...but for poetry, I say mods give the deadline because poems are actually faster to write than stories, imo. Thoughts?

As for the review requirements, I would want the review requirement to be somewhere between RG's EF and Depth range...if that's even possible. We can pull the review requirements for stories from the old BWB. As for poems, I could make up review requirements for that since stories just aren't my thing...haha.

@Mandatory linking

Sounds reasonable...I'll go for that then.

2/3/2009 #17
UndeadWithoutCoffee

Yea, I see what you're getting at. You want to go for a deadline:word ratio? I don't oppose that, I'm just afraid there will be abuse for the freedom we give. D:

That was just one idea. Though what I a heading at is that we can´t just set up a time without paying attention to the writer´s needs. Given that people won´t go for such a challenge if they have other issues (exams, personal problems, ect) it is reasonable to have a maximum time span, though we should listen to what the author thinks he can do. Which is why I would give him the possibility to name a date he desires and us to approve if it´s apropriate or interfere if it is too long.

As for poems I would make this depend on the length and the topics, though I have no idea of poems so... Though I think its rather reasonable to separate poems from stories as the writing seems very different to me. The only thing I would take into account that we should watch out that we don´t make those deadlines too short.

Can you show me the review requirements you are thinking of? If you think they are fine then we can use them in any case, EF was just a suggestion. As I am not very familiar with poems it would be very good if you set up those requirements. I am more at home with stories ;)

@Mandatory linking: okay. We can show the possibility of linking this forum in the profile anyway though I would rather make it mandatory with stories.

Example: Summary ..... Written for CY! from BWB-Forum

ANs: .....Written for Challenge Yourself! from the "Break Writer´s Block" forum.

Something like this will say everything people need to know. If they are willing to link the forum in addition to that great!

2/3/2009 #18
Lime-Cat

@Challenge Yourself - Prototype

Which is why I would give them the possibility to name a date they desire and mods to approve if it´s apropriate or interfere if it is too long.

This seems like unecessary mod work here. I would say as long as the deadline they state in a deadline:word ratio isn't too ridiculous, mods will not interfere. If they give a crazy deadline of 40 days:500 words, then they will need a mod's approval.

The only thing I would take into account that we should watch out that we don´t make those deadlines too short.

Or should we allow people to decide on their own deadline:poem ratio? (number of poems, regardless of length in a set number of days) Restricting poetry to number of words is pretty difficult. No poem should exceed a certain number of words though...what do you think the max should be, 200? 300? 500? O_O

Can you show me the review requirements you are thinking of?

Yea. You'll find the review requirements here. Since you're more at home with stories, feel free to tweak the review requirements. :D

@Mandatory Linking

Example: Summary ..... Written for CY! from BWB-Forum

ANs: .....Written for Challenge Yourself! from the "Break Writer´s Block" forum.

Something like this will say everything people need to know. If they are willing to link the forum in addition to that great!

Yea...but if people don't know where we're located, what good does that do? They should at the very least link to the thread. (like what we do for the RM - there's a tag and a blurb saying there's a link in their profile). Having an extra link to the forum is a plus, though.

2/3/2009 #19
UndeadWithoutCoffee

@Challenge

This seems like unecessary mod work here. I would say as long as the deadline they state in a deadline:word ratio isn't too ridiculous, mods will not interfere. If they give a crazy deadline of 40 days:500 words, then they will need a mod's approval.

Sounds good.

Or should we allow people to decide on their own deadline:poem ratio? (number of poems, regardless of length in a set number of days) Restricting poetry to number of words is pretty difficult. No poem should exceed a certain number of words though...what do you think the max should be, 200? 300? 500? O_O

As the people should say what they are planning to do anyway we should look into that and see what they think appropriate as a deadline for it, if it´s a reasonable date fine if not we can interfere. I wouldn´t do any maximum words, people should say "I am planning approximately XX words."

Oh and the review requirements are fine, I like them.

@Mandatory linking: What do the others say?

A link to the thread seems better to me. You can offer the tags to copy in their profiles and exemplary tags for summaries and ANs in the first post. People will more likely obliege if it´s convinient.

2/3/2009 #20
Fractured Illusion

@Mandatory linking

Since we don't have any challenge threads open yet, I'd like to make it mandatory for those that participate in challenges though. What do you think?

That's lame. People should link because they WANT TO, not because they are forced to. Ask nicely, don't demand. Just because they use one "service" they are gonna be branded with your name for life?

Again, lame. People can come and leave however they want, right? Should one-timers also have a link or what? Unfair. And regulars? Well they'd link willingly anyways.

This kind of demand is bad publicity and too strict (and look who's talking about being strict!). What people do on your FORUM, yes, you should control THAT. But you should have no say what they have on their profiles and other stuff. That's just...beyond words, right now. :/

If I understood your idea please correct me. But if I got it right, I think it's a horrid idea. You mods should be ahead of the pimping. Forcing links on people is controlling and can potentially scare people away. It'd scare me away, that's for sure.

Edit: Just to make myself clear. My problem is that you demand permanent linking for a temporary "service". Not fair, not equal, and disproportionate.

2/3/2009 . Edited 2/3/2009 #21
UndeadWithoutCoffee

@Mandatory linking: Which is why I was only wanting people to say in summarys and ANs if the pieces are for chellanges...

I would offer the tags for profile if the people want.

I think if they write pieces for challenges here I would say they should say that that is where it´s from. But I wouldn´t force people to have it in their profiles either.

2/3/2009 . Edited 2/3/2009 #22
Fractured Illusion

@Mandatory Linking

If it is only for the time of the challenge, then that's okay. The impression I got was that it was mandatory though.

2/3/2009 . Edited 2/3/2009 #23
UndeadWithoutCoffee

It´s what Lime was suggesting. I was arguing against that.

I´d say it should be in ANs/summarys of the piece written for the challenges like with WCC stories.

2/3/2009 #24
Fractured Illusion

@Mandatory Linking

Haha, if they are gonna keep that link on there forever, then Lime better offer reviews for this advertisement XD

2/3/2009 . Edited 2/3/2009 #25
UndeadWithoutCoffee

@Linking: Well let´s wait what she is saying.

I don´t see anything wrong with offering usable tags for the profiles though.

2/3/2009 #26
Fractured Illusion

@Challenge

Frac had suggested a mod set the goal.

Nooooooooo! D=

They set goals for themselves! In the mod post you were supposed to say that YOU (as in, the players) set goals for yourself. As I kept repeating in the post, it is an individual challenge. You mods have (in my sug post) nothing to do with it other than hosting the thread + checking if reviews are given if you choose that feature.

2/3/2009 . Edited 2/3/2009 #27
UndeadWithoutCoffee

You mods have (in my sug post) nothing to do with it other than hosting the thread + checking if reviews are given if you choose that feature.

Plus I would say to interfere if there are crazy deadlines (like 100 days for 500 words or so).

Other than that the people should give a date for themselves. If it´s really crazy there should be something done.

2/3/2009 #28
Fractured Illusion

@Challenge

Other than that the people should give a date for themselves

+1

You don't know your players circumstances, so it'd be unfair otherwise. And it's really just an ego boost for the players to get the sense they can complete something, so if they have an unusually long period, if they complete it, they'd be happy.

2/3/2009 . Edited 2/3/2009 #29
Fractured Illusion

@Challenge

I'm just afraid there will be abuse for the freedom we give. D:

Can you specify what freedom? And just how do they abuse it?

Question! Should we separate poems from stories?

I think it wouldn't hurt to have them in the same thread. Just give different requirements in the first post if you feel you need any.

I suggest being loose with the requirements though.

I would say as long as the deadline they state in a deadline:word ratio isn't too ridiculous, mods will not interfere

I agree with Lime there. Less work and still keeping quality = well done.

2/3/2009 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Lime-Cat VelvetyCheerio, theflyingcrabsareeatingmyhair, UndeadWithoutCoffee
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member