Break Writer's Block
Do you have a case of Writer's Block? Click on the link for the cure! Aspiring writers welcome.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
Lime-Cat

@Challenge

Nooooooooo! D=

They set goals for themselves! In the mod post you were supposed to say that YOU (as in, the players) set goals for yourself. As I kept repeating in the post, it is an individual challenge. You mods have (in my sug post) nothing to do with it other than hosting the thread + checking if reviews are given if you choose that feature.

D: That simply means I interpreted your post wrong. XD

Can you specify what freedom? And just how do they abuse it?

Freedom to conjure up any deadline they want...but I didn't realize we already have that covered with mods interfering with crazy deadlines. XD

I think it wouldn't hurt to have them in the same thread. Just give different requirements in the first post if you feel you need any.

I suggest being loose with the requirements though.

Ok, that makes sense.

I agree with Lime there. Less work and still keeping quality = well done.

yay. XD

@Mandatory linking

What I meant by mandatory linking is for any time people participate in a challenge, they should link to the thread. Now, if they link to the forum, that's a plus...but was hoping they would link both the challenge thread(s) and the actual forum..but then again, if they already linked to a thread, curiosity will take hold of people clicking on the link and they'd end up browsing the forum anyway. XD

...that was a bunch of my rambling. :O

2/3/2009 . Edited 2/3/2009 #31
Lime-Cat

New Suggestion/Idea - Collaboration

Should we have a collaboration thread? The philosophy of this thread is for people suffering from writer's block to pair up with someone they share interest(s) with to work on a collaboration and finish it. (emphasis on the "finish it" part because I hear most collab projects are left to collect internet dust. D:) I haven't thought of details for this thread yet, so suggestions are welcome...discuss!

Questions to address:

1) Buddy system - how do we pair people up or do two people pair themselves up after naming their interests?

2) Is this more of a "for fun" type of thread or a serious business thread - like a challenge? o_O

3) Should collaboration teams be allowed to register for challenge threads?

4) If we decide collaboration teams are to update with their progress on a regular basis, how do we go about this? Do they need a collab account? (this is getting confusing for lime. @_@)

That's all I can think of for now...feel free to add more questions/answers/suggestions.

2/3/2009 #32
Nicki BluIs

@ Collaboration

I like the collab idea. It can be done two ways (from my perspective). It can be sort of a matchmaker thread (lie BN or AAT in the RG) where someone looking for a collab partner can go look. In that case they'd have an idea or something in mind already. OR it could be a challenge type thing (like WCC) and ppl complete the challenge in a team. I guess you'd have to decide whether the players would register individually and then be placed in pairs or if they'd register as pairs already maed up...

EDIT: Sowwie Lime!!! :D

2/3/2009 . Edited 2/3/2009 #33
Lime-Cat

@Collaboration

First off, Bubbles...please follow the rules *cough*tag*cough*. D: Second, thanks for your input! :D

I guess you'd have to decide whether the players would register individually and then be placed in pairs or if they'd register as pairs already made up...

Eh...I was thinking that we set a sorts of questionnaire for people to answer along with their registration post. From there, people can request to be placed in pairs. A mod will keep track of the collaboration teams in either the first or second post of the thread.

If people register as pairs they privately agreed to, I think it can get kind of messy unless we're making the collab thread into a collab/challenge thread...which is an option.

More Questions to answer:

1) Would the collaboration thread work as a monthly challenge thread? Mods specify minimum word count (stories and poems allowed) and deadline.

2) If collab is just for the sake of collab, then is there a deadline to post a story/poem?

3) What happens when individuals in a pair come to the conclusion they are not a good pair after all? @_@

4) As Bubbles suggested, do we want to have it like RG's BN or AAT? I'm not really for this route because most other collab forums/threads that i've seen follow this route and they end up kicking the bucket...aka dying.

Discuss...

2/3/2009 #34
Nicki BluIs

@ Collaboration:

I think a deadline of some sort is good; even better would be a prompt/challenge for the to write to. Cuz the biggest issue with collabs is ppl getting lazy and not having a tangible goal to work towards. I am now rambling so this post ends now...

2/3/2009 . Edited 2/3/2009 #35
Lime-Cat

@Collaboration

I think a deadline of some sort is good; even better would be a prompt/challenge for the to write to. Cuz the biggest issue with collabs is ppl getting lazy and not having a tangible goal to work towards. I am now rambling so this post ends now...

As far as deadlines go, are people restricted to one-shots and structure-restricted poems? Because multi-chap stories will take eons to do. Should poetry collections be allowed? I said structure-restricted poetry because I feel free verse should not require collaboration on.

Or...should we allow multi-chapter stories, but give them deadlines for individual chapters? For example, one collaboration team wishes to do a multi-chap. (Mods? The particpants? Who gives the deadlines?!?) Someone (haven't decided who yet) gives them a deadline for a chapter 1. Does this sound fair and encouraging? I've never worked in a collab or lurked in a collab thread/forum, so I don't know the ins and outs of the collab world. D:

EDIT: prompts

How do people pair up if they don't have the same interests? If the prompt doesn't work for them, what happens? I want to give them the freedom to choose their prompt. We will have a number of prompt suggestions, though, for those who just want to write or don't know where to start.

2/3/2009 . Edited 2/3/2009 #36
Nicki BluIs

@ Collaboration:

I say no multichaps. Since this forum is all about Breaking the Writer's Block, less is more. Give them a time period to come up with a one-shot (or the equivalent in the poetry world). If later they want to continue to write together or even to extend the one shot to a full blown multichap they can do that on their own.

2/3/2009 #37
Lime-Cat

@Collaboration

I say no multichaps. Since this forum is all about Breaking the Writer's Block, less is more. Give them a time period to come up with a one-shot (or the equivalent in the poetry world).

Point taken.

On the other hand....

If later they want to continue to write together or even to extend the one shot to a full blown multichap they can do that on their own.

Isn't that the problem with collabs though? They have too much freedom for their own good? I really want to see stories finished in collabs and not left to collect dust. Which is why I am considering multi-chaps as an option IF they do good with a one-shot.

2/3/2009 #38
Nicki BluIs

@ collaboration

Isn't that the problem with collabs though? They have too much freedom for their own good? I really want to see stories finished in collabs and not left to collect dust. Which is why I am considering multi-chaps as an option IF they do good with a one-shot.

Lime, you forums here to help them break through the block not to cure procratination... idk i see this more as a mentor giving you a push in the right direction rather than a task master cracking the whip. So if the pair wants guidance then sure they can go to a mod to keep them accountable. But i think that it should be a case by case basis not something that is prt of the rules

2/3/2009 . Edited 2/3/2009 #39
Lime-Cat

@Collaboration

Lime, you forums here to help them break through the block not to cure procratination... idk i see this more as a mentor giving you a push in the right direction rather than a task master cracking the whip. So if the pair wants guidance then sure they can go to a mod to keep them accountable. But i think that it should be a case by case basis not something that is prt of the rules

T_T thanks for the reminder...lime has a tendency to want to solve all things even if it's not her job to. I like your suggestion of giving the pairs the option to request guidance from the mod and remain in the collab thread. :D I'll wait to see what others have to say about collab...

2/3/2009 #40
UndeadWithoutCoffee

@all suggestions: I would remind that we shouldn´t overdo it with the rules. Of course we should make sure that this is having limits but it shouldn´t be overkill.

2/4/2009 #41
Lime-Cat

@All Suggestions

I would remind that we shouldn´t overdo it with the rules. Of course we should make sure that this is having limits but it shouldn´t be overkill.

But uh...technically, we don't have rules right now. haha. no general rules, that is...and everything is still under discussion. :D

2/4/2009 #42
UndeadWithoutCoffee

@All Suggestions

I just wanted to keep it in our minds ;)

2/4/2009 #43
UndeadWithoutCoffee

@Challenge

Shall we launch Challenge yourself this week?

2/8/2009 #44
Lime-Cat

@Challenge

So have we worked out all the kinks? (I think we have, but I just want to make sure.) Anyway, if you think we're good, then go ahead for the launch of "Challenge Yourself!". :D

2/8/2009 #45
UndeadWithoutCoffee

so I shall do it?

If so I will this evening. ;)

Gotta study now for exams!

2/8/2009 #46
Lime-Cat

@Challenge Yourself

Yes, Net. Please make the topic. :) Thanks and good luck on your exams! :D

2/9/2009 #47
UndeadWithoutCoffee

@Challenge I launched it

2/9/2009 #48
Lime-Cat

@Challenge

Thanks Net. Can we close this suggestion? Any problems/questions about it can be discussed in the Problems/General Questions thread...

2/9/2009 #49
UndeadWithoutCoffee

@Challenge yes :)

2/9/2009 #50
Lime-Cat

Challenge Yourself - CLOSED!

2/9/2009 #51
Lime-Cat

New Suggestion - Arcade: Text-based Telephony

Karas started a text-based telephony game in Chatterbox about 30 minutes ago and Lime played along. So, for those who are extremely bored, we are discussing the implementation of BWB's first game thread! Here's how it works:

Rule 1: The phrase must be typed by hand.

Rule 2: You may add whatever you like to either end of the phrase. For example, if the phrase is "no comment to your 'no comment'", you can type: well, no comment to your "no comment" to your 'no comment'"comment.

Rule 3: other than the words, punctuation and spaces count! Be careful.

Rule 4: If someone ambles into this game thread and sees the phrase has been copied wrong (aka there is at least 1 typo), they can make a post saying so and request a review from the person who messed up. From there, they can start a new phrase and the (frustrating) game resumes.

Illustration:

Person A: The phrase is mumblingmumbles.

Person B: mumbly"mumblingmumbles."mummummumbling!

Person C: mumblemumble'mumbly"mumblingmumbles."mummummumbling!'mumblahhK.

Person D: mumingmumbly"mumblingmumbles."mumbling!'mumblahhK."period.

Person A: Person D messed up! I request a review on "Story Ink". New phrase is incoherency is key to coherentness or something to that sort.

Person E: coherency is not the key to "incoherency is the key to coherentness or something to that sort." or anything to that sort of nothingness!.

Anyway, this goes on and on. The plan is to get someone to mess up so that you can get a review. Before you type your continuation of the telephony phrase, quote the phrase you are continuing.

Let the discussion begin!

2/14/2009 . Edited 2/14/2009 #52
Carus

@ Arcade: Text-based Telephony

I like it, obviously :p

It's a great boredom killer, haha.

2/14/2009 #53
UndeadWithoutCoffee

@Arcade: Sounds fun, but after the rule-post (first post in topic) we should have a second post with the phrases already used.

Why? Because that way we will always get new ones and not copies of earlier ones.

So what do I suggest for the second post?

1. Starting Phrase

2. Ending phrase ( so where it got messed up)

I would put it into the second so the first one won´t get too long.

2/14/2009 #54
Lime-Cat

@Arcade

good idea, Net.

an additional rule: any edited post is considered a mess up.

how's that?

2/14/2009 #55
UndeadWithoutCoffee

@Arcade: yes edited post is mess up. With this there is nothing to edit other than mistakes so yes.

2/14/2009 . Edited 2/14/2009 #56
UndeadWithoutCoffee

@Arcade: And I would add that anyone can request the review who sees the person before him messed up. So not only the one who started but all players. that way it´s got a possible reward not only for the one who started it and you never now if that person is online so claim the review anyway.

2/14/2009 #57
Lime-Cat

@Arcade

And I would add that anyone can request the review who sees the person before him messed up. So not only the one who started but all players. that way it´s got a possible reward not only for the one who started it and you never now if that person is online so claim the review anyway.

Yea, that's what I meant to have. lol.

I'm gonna go open the games if there's nothing else to discuss...

EDIT: the thread has been created! :D

2/15/2009 . Edited 2/15/2009 #58
UndeadWithoutCoffee

@Arcade: Net says: If the next participant plays on instead claiming the review game goes on. Only last post can be claimed!

2/15/2009 #59
Lime-Cat

@Arcade

What happens if two or more people reply at the same time? Does the most recent post count as the phrase to be continued?

2/15/2009 #60
« Prev Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Lime-Cat VelvetyCheerio, theflyingcrabsareeatingmyhair, UndeadWithoutCoffee
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member