Break Writer's Block
Do you have a case of Writer's Block? Click on the link for the cure! Aspiring writers welcome.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
UndeadWithoutCoffee

@Arcade

I would say yes!

2/15/2009 #61
UndeadWithoutCoffee

@Arcade:

Except a previous poster detected a typo! In that case he ended the game and the following posts are not valid.

2/15/2009 #62
Lime-Cat

@Arcade

Gotcha. I will go edit that in too! XD

2/15/2009 #63
Miss Bob

@Arcade: Giving reviews when you lose

it seems like it's going to be really hard to keep track of who's given reviews and who hasn't...

so a suggestion that when the person who has one (and asks for a review) gets said review, they should edit their asking post to show it.

e.g.

Person 1: TYPO! person 2, please review 'my story'

*time passes, they got the review and go back to edit*

Person 1: TYPO! person 2, please review 'my story'. Person 2 has reviewed 'my story'

2/15/2009 #64
Lime-Cat

@Arcade: Reviews

Good idea, Beatles. I was thinking I could use post #2 in the thread to keep track of reviews instead of the phrases that were used becuase (now that I think about it) we don't really need to know that information. In their edits, they must link to the review and PM me.

2/15/2009 #65
Carus

@ Arcade: Text-based Telephony

I think we need a time limit for the reviews. Otherwise we may just never get them. I don't know what sort of a limit to suggest though... it is quite a fast paced game at the moment. Maybe three days? A week?

2/16/2009 #66
Lime-Cat

@Arcade: TBT Reviews

I think a week is overkill for 2 sentences on one category. 3 days is good, although I really want it to be 2 days.

Any punishment for not reviewing on time? I'd say they can't participate in TBT until they do review....discuss.

2/16/2009 #67
Carus

A week is overkill, but then again the reviews tend to pile up, so maybe three days is best?

Any punishment for not reviewing on time? I'd say they can't participate in TBT until they do review....discuss.

Good idea.

2/16/2009 #68
Lime-Cat

A week is overkill, but then again the reviews tend to pile up, so maybe three days is best?

3 days.

Any punishment for not reviewing on time? I'd say they can't participate in TBT until they do review.

Good idea.

I know it is. ;)

2/16/2009 #69
Carus

So, is it sorted? Should I edit the rules, or have you already? Lol.

2/16/2009 #70
Carus

Arcade: TBT Reviews - CLOSED

2/16/2009 #71
Carus

New Suggestion: Word Association (game?)

This is to get the ball rolling when you have the first spark of an idea but you can't quite work out how to expand it. Or it could be useful for those stuck with a certain prompt/phrase for a competition or something that they can't think of how to expand.

The person with the problem posts the word/phrase and other people post the words/themes/ideas that are associated with that word to them. When the first person has enough, they close it. Either that or there could be a time limit in order to allow other people with trouble to ask for help. For example:

Person A: NEW: I'm having trouble with the prompt 'Doubt'. Halp?

Person B: @'Doubt': fear / uncertainty / dreams / limits / anxiety / religion / trust / rhetorical questions / blame

Person C: @'Doubt': confidence (or lack of it) / relationships (all types; e.g. family, friends, teacher, boyfriend/girlfriend) / if it's for poetry, use free verse or some sort of formatting to show confusion etc

Person A: Thanks guys! I'm sorted now :) Doubt - CLOSED

Person D: NEW: I'm a bit stuck for ideas to do with 'Light'. Any suggestions?

---

Or something along those lines. Thoughts?

2/17/2009 #72
Miss Bob

@ word association game:

Nice idea.. I could do with something like that XD Online thesaureses just dont have that imaginative... spark...

2/17/2009 #73
karma-dollie

@ word association

That sounds great. Bouncing ideas off other peoples has always had its perks. You're bound to find the inspiration you're looking for from someone. :)

2/17/2009 #74
Nicki BluIs

@ word association:

I like it. But i don't think it'd be a game... more of a help type thing

2/17/2009 #75
Carus

@ Word Association:

Yeah, I wasn't sure about the game bit. I agree with you :)

2/17/2009 #76
Fractured Illusion

@ word association:

Then if not a game, does it need to be so frigid?

2/17/2009 #77
Carus

@ Word Association

Then if not a game, does it need to be so frigid?

Well I wasn't sure. How would you suggest it be improved? Or do you think it should be a game?

2/17/2009 #78
Fractured Illusion

@ Word Association

No I don't think it is a game either.

And just let people ask straight away. This is more like a help you need somewhat immediately. If you are forced to wait for it then people will forget it. Don't have any only-one-open-at-all-times policy. Let anyone get in and ask whenever they want. It seems to odd to put timetables on helping people with their writing, or whatever people will do with it.

2/17/2009 #79
Chasing Skylines

Concerning Word Association "Game"

The 'game' looks rather... stale. As in, I hope it's not going to just be synonyms/related words, right? I see 'ideas/themes', so that's okay...

I like the idea, as Radio said, bouncing ideas off others tends to have positive results.

2/17/2009 #80
Chasing Skylines

And just let people ask straight away. This is more like a help you need somewhat immediately. If you are forced to wait for it then people will forget it. Don't have any only-one-open-at-all-times policy. Let anyone get in and ask whenever they want. It seems to odd to put timetables on helping people with their writing, or whatever people will do with it.

I agree with Frac.

Obviously they'll have to have a header for which person they're answering too, so organization shouldn't be a problem.

2/17/2009 #81
Carus

@Word Association

yeah, that's a good idea. So as long as we make sure the person who helps write which one they're helping with, it should be okay.

(the @'doubt' thing)

2/17/2009 #82
Fractured Illusion

Obviously they'll have to have a header for which person they're answering too, so organization shouldn't be a problem.

Yeah. To me it seems like a restricted version of "Help with your writing", and people come and go there just fine.

2/17/2009 #83
Carus

@Word Association

The 'game' looks rather... stale. As in, I hope it's not going to just be synonyms/related words, right? I see 'ideas/themes', so that's okay...

No, not just synonyms/related words. Anything is fine, I think.

2/17/2009 #84
Chasing Skylines

Word Association

Yeah. To me it seems like a restricted version of "Help with your writing",

Hah, that was the comparison I was thinking of.

No, not just synonyms/related words. Anything is fine, I think.

Ah, gotcha.

What about pictures that relate and could inspire you to expand whatever the idea is?

2/17/2009 . Edited 2/17/2009 #85
Carus

@Word Association

What about pictures that relate and could inspire you to expand whatever the idea is?

That's a good idea... and music, as well.

2/17/2009 #86
Carus

@ Word Association

To me it seems like a restricted version of "Help with your writing"

What I was aiming for in W.A. is just to get people started on an idea. Not really for developed pieces. So not a lot of detail is needed, and it's quick.

2/17/2009 #87
UndeadWithoutCoffee

@WA I think it´s a good idea.

However I would maybe extend it to information on certain things as well?

Like if you need information about some history/political/technical fact it could be asked as well.

2/19/2009 #88
Miss Bob

New suggestion - 'Adopt a...' threads

There are a number of these threads on the nanowrimo forums, and they do wonders to help you break writers block... (because writers block is a killer when you have to write 50,000 words in 30 days X_X)

e.g. Adopt a Conversation:

people post random converstions they came up with in their heads, or that they heard or were part of, and then other people come and look and leave their own or tell if they are taking any

http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/node/3032348

The premiss is really quite simple, and it's all about inspiration and sharing your random ideas

"Why did the Earth die?"

"Because men are stupid."

"... Why are men stupid?"

"Because women say so."

"Oh, alright."

(this one was one of mine:)

Her: Pirates or Ninjas?

Me: *moment of deep thought* Pirates, always pirates

Her: Why?

Me: Um... when have you ever seen a Ninja with a wench!

Her: Ah, true. But when have you ever seen a Ninja?

Me: Dammit.

List of 'Adopt a ...' on the Nanowrimo Forums: http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/node/3000033

I found these threads while doing my nano 2008, and they were so helpful, even if I didnt need ideas and wanted a laugh!

EDIT: so my point is this, maybe you should have a few of these threads, or some such similar, because they are a great help! :D

2/19/2009 . Edited 2/19/2009 #89
UndeadWithoutCoffee

@ How did THIS happen?

This is my suggestion for a new game.

A quizmaster gives a situation.

Then everyone who wants can make a guess what lead to the situation, or they ask the quizmaster a question that can be answered with yes or no.

Then the first round is over.

Either one guessed the right answer, or the quizmaster says something to each question or guess.

The next round begins.

All who want ask questions/make guesses again.

Round ends.

And so on until the right answer is guessed.

Then the quizmaster announces this and closes the situation.

Anyone who wants to give the next situation can do so.

Example:

Quizmaster: In a burned down forest there is a fully clad diver.

Person A: Is there a lake near by?

Person B: Did he go there willingly?

Quizmaster: No, not a lake, A. And No, B.

Next round begins.

Important rules: Every person who wants to guess can only guess once and ask one question per round, the next chance is after the quizmaster has updated.

Everyone can be quizmaster, but only one situation can be open at a time.

The first one to open the next situation is the next quizmaster, all other situations will be deleted. But they can be asked once the presant situation is solved.

The idea: This game should be there to help you guys come op with creative ideas. The game´s goal is always to solve what lead to a situation!

If this suggestion passes I will open the game and start as the first quizmaster.

3/13/2009 #90
« Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Lime-Cat VelvetyCheerio, theflyingcrabsareeatingmyhair, UndeadWithoutCoffee
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member