Break Writer's Block
Do you have a case of Writer's Block? Click on the link for the cure! Aspiring writers welcome.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 Next »
Lime-Cat

If you are confused about anything regarding the Break Writer's Block forum, let it be known by making a post here. A regular member or mod will try to help answer any questions or problems that you have.

2/2/2009 #1
Fractured Illusion

As for the Trash to Treasure making it a "story" posted on FP; is that mandatory for everything? I mean, what if you only got line a few lines? That can't pass off as a story.

And if someone leaves their writing scraps for others to take, it means they discredit themselves, which means it isn't plagiarism when you take it. Cuz they said it was fine, and whatever the author says is the rule.

So yeah. I am confused. I don't think people will like having to have a piece filled with scraps of their writing. Why not just post them in the thread so they can get rid of them? If I wanted them gone, I wouldn't want to keep them on my profile.

That is if I understood everything correctly.

2/2/2009 . Edited 2/2/2009 #2
Lime-Cat

As for the Trash to Treasure making it a "story" posted on FP; is that mandatory for everything? I mean, what if you only got line a few lines? That can't pass off as a story.

Yes, it is mandatory. It is something they wrote and as long as it's over a few words long, it can count as a story on FP, right?

And if someone leaves their writing scraps for others to take, it means they discredit themselves, which means it isn't plagiarism when you take it. Cuz they said it was fine, and whatever the author says is the rule.

Hmm...I disagree with that, Frac. Donors only agree to let others use what they have already written, that is, permission to use their ideas/work with the understanding of those who do use what they will not work with anymore, will credit/cite them. The way I see it is the same as citing sources in a essay - give credit where it is due.

So yeah. I am confused. I don't think people will like having to have a piece filled with scraps of their writing. Why not just post them in the thread so they can get rid of them? If I wanted them gone, I wouldn't want to keep them on my profile.

What if the scrap is 1000 words long? Imagine if I had 10 people post 1000 word scraps and I had to edit those into the collection bin (post #2 of the thread). Can you imagine how big the post can potentially become? Besides, FP rules say stories are not to be posted in the forums. Most importantly, if a donor comes in and says they are picking up one of their scraps to work on again, they retain the rights to their writing. The recipient will already have credited the donor...

I am having donors post their scraps for the protection of both donors and recipients: one is a source (donor) and the other cites the work in an Author's Note (recipient). My only concern about this is copyrights that FP admins MIGHT get on me about. But I've got disclaimers everywhere in the Sources of Inspiration thread...so I'll assume that I'm covered, there? o_O

Anyway, I'm not sure if I'm being clear about all of this, so let me know if I need to elaborate. :D

-Lime

2/2/2009 #3
UndeadWithoutCoffee

Are we allowed to have something like a "scrap-story" then the donor can add each piece of scrap as a chapter and doesn´t have to do another story for every one.

2/2/2009 #4
Lime-Cat

Are we allowed to have something like a "scrap-story" then the donor can add each piece of scrap as a chapter and doesn´t have to do another story for every one.

What, you mean like River(s)' Writing Heaven thing? If so, then I should make it clear, eh? ^^'

2/2/2009 #5
UndeadWithoutCoffee

Yeah I meant something like that.

Because then you have one place for it all.

2/2/2009 #6
Lime-Cat

Gotcha...I will edit my post in SoI to state such. Sorry for the confusion! (everything worked out perfectly in my mind and some was lost in translation! :O)

2/2/2009 #7
UndeadWithoutCoffee

which is why I am poking you :P

Don´t worry. It will be fine.

2/2/2009 #8
Lime-Cat

which is why I am poking you :P

:D

2/2/2009 #9
Fractured Illusion

*is devil's advocate today*

it can count as a story on FP, right?

No. A story is a story. Not just a few words you copied and pasted.

Lets take me for an example. My "scraps" are one-liners, all without any attachment to the others. I can't post that as a story. That's cheating the FP system. And according to your thread, I am not worthy enough of participating, because I only have one-liners. Discrimination! :O

. Donors only agree to let others use what they have already written, that is, permission to use their ideas/work with the understanding of those who do use what they will not work with anymore, will credit/cite them. The way I see it is the same as citing sources in a essay - give credit where it is due.

1. Only because you restrict them to not giving freely

2. Why not just allow it to inspire? And if people post so long as 1k, then how are you supposed to "cite" that? To me, all those things are supposed to do are to inspire something new or a continuation or a re-write.

Imagine if I had 10 people post 1000 word scraps and I had to edit those into the collection bin (post #2 of the thread).

Who says you need that post to collect it all? If that thread gets popular, that post will be inhumanely long anyways. It could just as easily be people posting their trash there (and getting rid of it, because who posts their trash on their profile? Not I. I do not litter my profile :p).

Most importantly, if a donor comes in and says they are picking up one of their scraps to work on again, they retain the rights to their writing

They can edit their post and edit out all their quotes and what not.

Other important points:

1) I think this is an unnecessary workload for the mods. It is not necessary because it could function just as well, and be plenty more easier to access and donate, if you just dealt with posts and not post stories on FP with unfinished stuff you don't want to see anyways.

2) Your system with the recipents is not fail-safe. They can just as easily read it and decide its too much hassle to say any thing and be on their merry way with that piece as inspiration or whatever. So again, it relying on it being posted by the author only makes the risk larger of someone taking it. Because if you post it as a story, it reaches even more people. If it only stays here in the forum, it is less likely to be "victim" of such plagiarism, since it will reach less people.

3) Again. Is it meant to inspire or to copy? Because if to inspire, who needs to credit? I can get inspired by songs and no way in hell will I list them all in the author note. And if to take: How about the 1k pieces? I don't follow the logic.

4) You can still keep your recipent-honor-system with post-system. Nothing hinders it.

Anyway, I'm not sure if I'm being clear about all of this, so let me know if I need to elaborate. :D

Yes. You were clear. I just think my arguments are better. Hah. XD

-

I think I got in everything.

2/2/2009 #10
Fractured Illusion

The only possible remark I would have to give would be this:

Forums are not to be used to post stories.

So if it is longer (ie, more that 300 words or something), then for your own sakes, it can't be posted here, but as a story. Eventhough these are all unfinished stories. But you can never be too safe.

2/2/2009 #11
UndeadWithoutCoffee

how about wordlimits for in-forum-posting? On the other hand those snippets are no whole stories so difficult. I can see both positions here.

I think it might be easier to let the donors make their posts themselves and watch the events closely.

2/2/2009 #12
Lime-Cat

...Frac, thanks for your input. lovely arguments, might I add. XD When I was writing the post, I forgot that the purpose of Trash to Treasure was to inspire and not copy. Duly noted. Thanks for the virtual smack upside lime's head. T_T (Those are tears of gratitude!!)

Net, I like your compromise. We'll run with that. :D

2/2/2009 . Edited 2/2/2009 #13
Fractured Illusion

..What? You just surrender?

2/2/2009 #14
Lime-Cat

..What? You just surrender?

...yea. i have no counter-arguments..plus, I like Net's compromise!!

2/2/2009 #15
Fractured Illusion

Haha okay then :p

But can you still answer this question?

3) Again. Is it meant to inspire or to copy?

2/2/2009 #16
Lime-Cat

3) Again. Is it meant to inspire or to copy?

Read edited post #13. ^_^

2/2/2009 #17
Fractured Illusion

All is now clear! Lightbulb and all.

2/2/2009 #18
Nicki BluIs

I gots a question!! What do I do if I want to donate something longer than 300 words? And is the 300 word limit per entry or per post?

2/3/2009 #19
Lime-Cat

What do I do if I want to donate something longer than 300 words? And is the 300 word limit per entry or per post?

You seriously have something more than 300 words? wow. XD

Anyway...if you have something that's longer than 300 words, please narrow it down to the important parts and post that.

in my opinion, 300 words is already a huge scrap. However, 300 words is NOT the limit of a post entry...I don't think.

2/3/2009 #20
Nicki BluIs

thankies! I go post now.

2/3/2009 #21
Lime-Cat

Challenge Yourself Penalty Reviews

How does a 1 week time period sound for unsuccessful participants to pay their fines? Extensions of 1 week will be given based on a case-by-case basis and if the user is seen to be active in BWB (or RG if they are RGers), the extension will be revoked.

So, what happens if they fail to give reviews? I feel there should be a penalty, but not a harsh one...

3/3/2009 #22
Carus

@Challenge Yourself Penalty Reviews

I think one week is about right, and the extension's a good idea too.

I'm not too sure about CY, I haven't had much involvement in it, but I agree that the penalty shouldn't be too harsh, because they're challenging themselves. But then again, they know the penalty for not completing the challenge when they sign up...hmm.

What are the (penalty) options?

3/6/2009 #23
Lime-Cat

I'm not sure what the penalty options are...

I want Net's OK about the one week limit for reviews and the extensions before we implement it. Of course, we can't enforce the rule on previous CYers. I'll PM Net about this and we can all discuss this here in P/Q.

3/6/2009 . Edited 3/6/2009 #24
Carus

I want Net's OK about the one week limit for reviews and the extensions before we implement it. Of course, we can't enforce the rule on previous CYers. I'll PM Net about this and we can all discuss this here in P/Q.

Okay, good idea.

3/6/2009 #25
UndeadWithoutCoffee

I agree with the one week time span!

Sorry vacation is eating time, but I will be back on the 15th!

3/9/2009 #26
Lime-Cat

The deadline for the reviews owed in CY has passed (deadline was end of the 11th, FP time). Would it be fair to the two participants (Sparkles and Bender) to give Rain two reviews for not paying their fine in time? Or would it be unfair to impose that as a rule since it's after the fact?

I don't want to penalize these two, so can we be a little bit more lenient on them and give them a final extra week? I haven't seen them in either RG or BWB, so I'm assuming they're extremely busy. What do my fellow mods say? One time exception for Sparkles and Bender? (I'll send them another PM if this is the case.)

Other than that, here's my suggestion for penalties:

1) give 2 reviews that meet the review requirement for not paying their fine

2) if the 2 reviews have not been given by the deadline (1 week, extensions granted on case-by-case basis), they are not allowed to use in the CY thread until they do

3) just as another rule to make mods' lives easier: the person(s) must PM a mod with what they reviewed - title and chapter (if applicable)

What happens if they reviewed and didn't/forgot to PM a mod?

3/12/2009 . Edited 3/12/2009 #27
Carus

I think that because this is new and we haven't stated penalties for not doing reviews on time then we should be more lenient with Sparkles and Bender. Also, I think I remember Bender saying she was having computer/internet problems, and Sparkles hasn't been in teh RG for ages, and I think (not sure though) that she owes reviews for something there, too.

However I think that we do need some sort of penalty for future problems. I think your suggestions for the penalties are good, especially number three :) But we need to clearly put that down somewhere, because most people haven't been PMing mods for TBT. I think, anyway, haha.

I think if they forgot to PM a mod, then they should be reminded that they need to but I think anything more severe than that is making it more of an issue that it is. We can check the reviews for people's stories if it's gone over the deadline and we haven't been told/PM'd. But I don't know... what do other people think?

3/13/2009 #28
UndeadWithoutCoffee

I agree with Karas!

3/13/2009 #29
Carus

@ Word Association Game

I can't remember - can there be more than one round open at once??

4/3/2009 #30
Page 1 2 Next »
Forum Moderators: Lime-Cat VelvetyCheerio, theflyingcrabsareeatingmyhair, UndeadWithoutCoffee
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member