Break Writer's Block
Do you have a case of Writer's Block? Click on the link for the cure! Aspiring writers welcome.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 Next »
Lime-Cat

Are you experiencing Writer's Block but don't know what to do about it? Well, step on in, have a seat and let's try to get you on the path to success! :D

This is the consultation thread. We're here to get to the root of your Writer's Block.

IMPORTANT: Please start all requests for help with a bolded "NEW REQUEST" and close all finished consultations with bolded "CLOSED". If a request seems to be resolved and a week's time has passed since the last post of the consultation session and the requestor has not closed their session themselves, a mod will close the session. Multiple sessions can happen at once, but PLEASE follow the format of posting.

--

For organizational purposes, please stick to this posting format, thanks!

Person A: NEW REQUEST I'm at my wit's end with this Writer's Block. Please help! *insert answers to questions here*

Person B: @Person A I would be glad to help. *suggestions for Person A*

Person C: @Person A Here's some more advice that I'd like to give.

Person A: I think I've gotten the ball rolling a little bit. I'll be back if I need more help! CLOSED

--

In your first post, please help everyone out by answering these questions:

1) What genre(s) are you interested in reading and/or writing about?

2) What is/are your subject(s) interests in terms of writing? (i.e. werewolves, vampires, robots, mecha, dragons, magic, medieval, traveling, etc)

3) What type of writing are your interested in writing? (i.e. a poem, script, story, one-shot, biography, etc)

4) What kind of research have you done about your subject of interest, if applicable?

5) Have you tried writing a zero draft? (Note: A zero draft is sitting down for a short period of time (i.e. 10 minutes) and writing anything and everything that comes to mind regardless of subject, flow, grammar or anything associated with the rules of writing. A zero draft is meant to get the brain juices flowing.)

Try to include any other information that you'd like us to know. :)

2/2/2009 #1
Demented Hellion

New Request

I can't seem to figure this out, I know where I want it to go, but have no idea as to how to start it.

1. I'm writing in the Supernatural genre.

2. The two characters involved are demons.

3. It's a one-shot that provides background information.

4. I honestly have no idea what type of research should be done.

5. I have not tried a zero draft.

Ok, main points that you need are the fact that it's about Sibley and Kale, brother and sister. But SIbley sets out to seduce Kale for the sole purpose of producing an heir on her part. It's pure calculation on her and sheer stupidity on his. I know in general how I want it to go, but I've never been any good with romance or lust. It's a background one shot to my story A Demon's World and I would like to write it to make their relationship make a little more sense. But my issue is that I do not know how seduction would go.

Thank you all so much in advanced.

~DH~

4/17/2009 #2
Denizen47

@Demented Hellion I'd like to offer my advice on this lil... quandry.

So they're sibling demons? Do they know they're siblings? If not, then this is a far easier and more interesting piece already.

If so, then I'm guessing i*** is fine amongst demons, yes?

But I digress, you want to write a seduction piece. Which in itself is a highly ambitious task for a oneshot. You'll need to figure out the different stages in said seduction. i.e. Sibley does this, Kale reacts as such. Sibley does that, Kale reacts as such. An easy way to do this would be to plan it in stages.

Write Stage 1: They're all square, Sibley makes his first move. Stage 2: Kale is uneasy, Sibley does this.

My outlook on this is that it's going to be very hard (an inherent factor in the seduction theme), so it'll be a long piece. Or stretched over a long period - maybe write short glimpses at different stages as time goes by. Be sure to try and highlight the ulterior motive of Sibley and the breakdown of Kale's will.

4/17/2009 #3
Demented Hellion

Thank you for the help, but they know they are siblings. That's my major hangup in writing it. You are right when you said if they didn't know they were siblings it'd be easy to write.

~DH~

4/17/2009 #4
Fractured Illusion

@Demented Hellion

We basically know nothing, so we can't help. Please answer these questions:

Is it, in the demon world, wrong to lust for your sibling? Ie, is i*** okay?

How is their relationship?

Does he know she has something up her sleeve?

How does she feel about having to sleep with her own brother?

How does he feel about it - lust aside?

Do they have other family members?

Do they know about this?

4/18/2009 . Edited 4/18/2009 #5
Demented Hellion

So to answer your questions:

In the demon world it's wrong to lust after your sibling. If you do and a child is born, the child and the parents are put to death the second the king finds out. Although Sibley and Kale are able to escape this punishment because of their status. Kale and Sibley's relationship is rocky at best. They were nopt raised together so they know practically nothing of each other. Their personalities are complete opposites. Kale is calm and rational, while Sibley has wild ideas of how the world should be and is basically out of touch with reality. But that is because at this point she is in training to become the oracle. Kale does not know that Sibley plans this whole thing from the beginning til many years later. Sibley sees Kale as a means to an end. She needs an heir to follow her as oracle but cannot find a demon of decent status to father her child. So she turns to Kale simply as a s*** donor in her mind. Kale sees sleeping with his sister as a sin, but is convinced by her that it is the only way for either of them to have children, although this is a false statement. The only family member they have is their father who raised Sibley and trained her to become the oraclel. Kale was raised in the military baracks by a friend of the family, to become a great military leader, which was the destiny that was told to his father by the gods.

That about covers it. Now that I read it, it really doesn't make much sense on paper, but makes total sense in my mind.

4/20/2009 #6
Fractured Illusion

Kale sees sleeping with his sister as a sin, but is convinced by her that it is the only way for either of them to have children

And why is this important? (him/them having children I mean, not why you explained that)

You say he is calm and rational but he should know there is a death sentence on this, he does not care for his sister, so the logical conclusion is for them to have a child? Together?

It is not equivalent. Like you don't commit murder for a penny, unless you're insane.

4/20/2009 . Edited 4/20/2009 #7
VelvetyCheerio

NEW REQUEST

1) It's more along the lines of action/adventure.

2) The world is set in a fantasy realm, so any mythical thing you can think of exists + humans.

3) Multi-chap story.

4) No research was done, it's sort of touch and go for now.

5) I have not tried a zero draft.

Okay, so I'm revising a story, but I'm not going off by the original, cause the original really was just bad. But the story basically centers around a boy who finds a cat demon running from an organization that she escaped from. At the point I'm in, some agents of the org. has tracked down the cat, boy, and a guy unfortunately thrown into the mix, to a hospital.

The cat demon (Val) is stuck in a car and the boy (Robert) and other guy (Avion) are in the hospital. One agent has found the car and shoot the tires out to keep Avion from driving away, but I don't know whether or not he should see Val and call for backup or if someone should come running at the sound of gunshots.

6/11/2009 . Edited 6/11/2009 #8
Sercus Kaynine

@Fang

"I don't know whether or not he should see Val and call for backup or if someone should come running at the sound of gunshots."

So you're just looking for an answer to that? Well, I suppose that depends. Where is the hospital? What time of day is it? Who would be around? Do the two male main characters hear the shots? Take all that into consideration and think about whether or not anyone would come at the sound of gunshots.

As for option A, what would happen if he saw her? I'm guessing he would take her back to his org. hideout or whatnot. What would Val do if she saw him seeing her? Scratch his eyes out? Run away? Go warn the guys? She's a cat, so if the org. guy doesn't get her out of the car she'll be stuck there until someone comes to get her, thus be of no use to any of her friends if they need help.

On the other hand, why not both? Someone (hospital employee, civilian, the two other main characters) could hear the shots and come running, AND the org. guy could spot Val and call his pals/try and catch her/whatever else he wants to do.

6/11/2009 #9
VelvetyCheerio

Where is the hospital? What time of day is it? Who would be around? Do the two male main characters hear the shots? Take all that into consideration and think about whether or not anyone would come at the sound of gunshots.

Ah. Well, it's night, so maybe not a lot of people would be around, but there might always be the random person walking around waiting for a hospital truck to come in. Maybe the people on the first floor would hear, since they're closest.

And hmm, never considered both. I'll see how that works out. Thank you! :)

CLOSED

6/11/2009 . Edited 6/11/2009 #10
Julia Wall

New Request

1) Fantasy, for kids.

2) Magic, with some dragons as a small part.

3) looooong story...it's already 396 pages

4) A ton, but I don't think that's the problem.

5) I have, but it's not working!

(it feels weird to actually use BWB to help with WB) I'm right at the end of a really long story. I know what's happening next, but I can't write. I sit down at the computer, type out a sentence or two, and stop. HELP!!!

6/22/2009 #11
Fractured Illusion

@Everwind Master

Sounds like you could need a little new of something. Like, take a week's break. You have written A LOT of pages so far! You might just be a bit burned out? Do you usually write a lot or is it more sporadic-like?

6/23/2009 #12
Julia Wall

I'll try that. I usually write like 600-ish words a day, but I go through periods of way more and way less.

6/23/2009 #13
Julia Wall

oops!

Closed (I think)

6/23/2009 #14
Variable estrella

New Request

I'm having a lot of trouble with a story I want to write...I started it and it seemed like a great idea, but now I'm stuck. I want to write a story about how this group of people who get put into a big complex puzzle system thing that has various challenges they need to work out. They all react differently, some trying to beat the system and others manipulating people or being selfish...etc. I have the characters pretty much nailed down, and even a theme or two, but whenever I try to actually write the story something shuts down and I don't know what to do. Help?!

1) Adventure? I guess?

2) People. Flawed people.

3) Well I want to write a full length story. (Which has been my goal many times but I have never been able to do because I get writers block and give up.)

4) Observed people? Does that count? Oh and I write down my dreams (because they often have to do with what I'm trying to write about)

5) Kind of. I wrote a page about characters, and what I could think of about the plot. That's a good idea though.

Thanks in advance!!

7/11/2009 #15
Lime-Cat

@Jack/Magma

This sounds like an interesting premise for a story. I would love to read your story once we get over this little speed bump in the road. ;)

Are you in need of some inspiration or what? If it's inspiration you're looking for, I would suggest reading a few chapters of a manga titled Liar Game. You can find all the chapters that have been scanlated so far here: http://www.onemanga.com/liar_game The manga is about a group of people doing their best to outwit the rest of the group to emerge as the winner in order to get the largest sum of money they can out of the company hosting the game. Those that lose will be forced into a huge debt. Your story sounds to be something along these lines (to me, anyway) so I think reading this manga will help out at least a little bit in terms of psychological "warfare".

Other than looking into sources of inspiration (i'm not referencing the thread on BWB.), the only other thing I can suggest to you is write, write more and keep writing and editing until you get a draft you like. Since you did mention you have a zero draft of sorts, I would start off doing one or even half a chapter at a time. Just write as much as you can in one sitting when the mood hits you, whether you like what you wrote or not - that's what editing is there for. ;)

I hope this helps out at least a little bit. Good luck!

7/11/2009 . Edited 7/11/2009 #16
Variable estrella

Thanks! That seems like it will help a lot :)

ok so Closed

7/11/2009 #17
Siriano

New Request Ah! Thank you!

1) What genre(s) are you interested in reading and/or writing about? It's mostly angst with slash. 7_7 Not really a specific genre.

2) What is/are your subject(s) interests in terms of writing? Teenagers, realistic characters, the "rejects"

3) What type of writing are you interested in writing? A short story or some one-shots. I'd like to get my chaptered fic rolling, but that's not really gonna' happen.

4) What kind of research have you done about your subject of interest, if applicable? Loads. On drugs, on the legal process, on stuff for sex, on the city it takes place in (although it's in my hometown), etc.

5) Have you tried writing a zero draft? A few times. It didn't really help. I just ended up rambling about stuff that p*** me off.

I have my characters down. It's not so much the fact that I need help on them (although it's always appreciated) it's just that the plot is needing some fleshing out and I have no idea how to start writing again. :| Any story specific questions, just ask. ;]

Please-and-thank-you! :3

7/15/2009 . Edited 7/15/2009 #18
Lime-Cat

@Siriano

It seems like you have a majority of this down, you just need a plot that motivates you to write, correct? If that's the problem, then let's talk about your plot - what have you got so far and what aspects of the plot are you having difficulty with? I think if you give us a basic run-down of your story, that'll give others (and myself) something to give input on.

Now, as for your goal as far as the length goes...it's good that you want to get a multi-chap out there. But in the case of writing with writer's block (darn that disease.), I think it's important to set more reasonable goals for yourself. For example, your long term goal is a multi-chap; however your goal should be focusing on a one-shot or short story - something managable that doesn't seem too daunting. I think that's the problem with some people who suffer from lack of motivation to write (like myself. Haha) - they're not setting reasonable, manageable goals. Like I said to the person who made a request before yours came up, make it your goal to write half a scene or one particular short scene. Slow and steady wins the race and in this case, slow and steady keeps you sane and motivated. XD

If you're the type of person who can write more if everything is planned out in as much detail as possible, then do that - draw out a game plan for your story and then jump into the actual writing. Some people do better just having a basic idea of what they want in their story and the rest is spontaneous. I hope this helps out a little bit and if I was off target on the whole "reasonable goals" thing, then I will just shut up about that in the future. Haha.

7/15/2009 #19
Siriano

It seems like you have a majority of this down, you just need a plot that motivates you to write, correct? If that's the problem, then let's talk about your plot - what have you got so far and what aspects of the plot are you having difficulty with? I think if you give us a basic run-down of your story, that'll give others (and myself) something to give input on.

For the story, it's currently a few of one-shots I've been writing because I haven't been able to get a chaptered fic rolling. It's basically thr abusive father slash, but I'm trying to make it as unchliche as possible. The basic concept that I have in my head is that there's my main character Ashley (a dude) who basically has gotten into a relationship with this guy (Matt) and is contemplating whether or not he's gay, whether to come out to his parents, etc. That's kinda' a minor plot line cause eventually he's just like "Screw it." and doesn't really care. Other than that, it's basically about Matt and his father. I'm worried it's gonna' end up like some weird soap opera.... I actually don't have that much of a concrete plot, which is 1/2 of the problem. It's basically a mix of a lack of inspiration and a lack of ideas.

My current goal is really only to get a decent one-shot done. It's not happening. I keep trying, and stuff comes out, but it's absolute crap. Oh well....

I used to write spontaneously, but now I'm more of a outline person. If I have a basic outline, I can get stuff done, but I don't have an ideas for an outline, and there lies my problem....

xoxo

7/16/2009 #20
VelvetyCheerio

The basic concept that I have in my head is that there's my main character Ashley (a dude) who basically has gotten into a relationship with this guy (Matt) and is contemplating whether or not he's gay, whether to come out to his parents, etc. That's kinda' a minor plot line cause eventually he's just like "Screw it." and doesn't really care. Other than that, it's basically about Matt and his father. I'm worried it's gonna' end up like some weird soap opera.... I actually don't have that much of a concrete plot, which is 1/2 of the problem. It's basically a mix of a lack of inspiration and a lack of ideas.

Lack of a concrete plot can actually be good, in some cases. If understand your characters, as in their inner thoughts, personality, how they react under varying degrees of stress, then it might help to get the plot down. If this is not that the case, then it's a little easier because as you develop your characters, you can mold the plot around them and then incorporate the character's personality into the plot.

However, if you're seriously idea depleted, try and determine how you want the story to start off. Prologue, or no prologue? First or third person? Start it off slow, or get straight into the action? You have the premise down, which is good, so you just need a scenario.

Also, if you're aiming to keep it uncliched, think of what you've never done or seen with such a plot before. Should someone die? Do you want a happy ending? Would you want any of the characters to be seriously injured or possibly maimed?

I hope that helped. :\

My current goal is really only to get a decent one-shot done. It's not happening. I keep trying, and stuff comes out, but it's absolute crap. Oh well....

Try not to exhauste yourself. Inspiration is funny in the way that it comes at you when you've put down the pen for a while and started relaxing. :P

but I don't have an ideas for an outline, and there lies my problem....

Well, what usually works for me is a chapter plot, which is basically just a paragraph of general happenings in that particular chapter. Not much in the way of detail, especially if you don't know the characters to well, but usually detail comes in the more chapters you write.

If that doesn't help, flesh out the characters first, determine their personality, write out your basic concept on paper, then leave it alone for a while. Check back with it if you get ideas or if you choose to rework the entire concept.

7/16/2009 #21
Siriano

Thanks to both of you. ^-^

CLOSED

7/18/2009 #22
Eternal Skies

NEW REQUEST! I need help developing this story.

1) It's horror/supernatural.

2) Would deal with supernatural creatures (nothing specified: ghosts, demons, devils, angels..etc)

3) I'm planning this to be a story.

4) No research.

5) No zero draft.

The idea is not that clear to me (that's why i need help with the story). it's something about a group of depressed teens (with many problems at home and at school. i already planned the problems) and then one of them commits suicide and there's something about a website that can grant you a death wish. blah blah. i'm not sure about it....maybe some graveyard scenes, something freaky....

That's it i guess, i don't have anything precise and i'm feeling lost. see ^ above, it doesn't make sense.

11/2/2009 #23
VelvetyCheerio

@Snow:

Well it seems to me that you don't have a fully developed plot. :P

Okay, so, group of teens have problems, one of them goes off the deep end, and then the rest find a website... do you know what happens after that?

Do you want them to be sucked into some other world through a strange portal? Maybe they meet a mysterious contractor guy from the site who kills them all and then it's a story about them in wherever trying to find the friend that commited suicide?

Perhaps there is a twist in that, they must find the friend in a certain amount of time or they stay wherever they are forever. Maybe the friend killed his/herself because of something that wasn't hteir doing at all? And they never realized?

Try working out a plot summary, figure out all the pionts in the story, from beginning to end, if that's how you work. Or, just plan out the beginning and work from there. :)

11/5/2009 #24
Eternal Skies

Hey thanks Velvety. I'll try writing it from the beginning and then i'll see what'll happen. your suggestions are pretty good and if i publish the story here, i'll give you the credit. thanks again

11/6/2009 #25
VelvetyCheerio

You are very welcome! :D I'm glad I could help. ^^

11/7/2009 #26
TheGreyOne

NEW REQUEST.. uh, sorry if I didn't post in the right place...I've never posted on a fourm before. :l -- also sorry if this isn't even the right fourm : It's the only one that looked like it'd answer questions. I have an Idea for a story, but I can't seem to get it from my head to the paper...or computer... I don't know if this is writers block or not, as I'm not really a writer. :P I read books and fictionpress stuff religiously, I breathe it, and as a result of this, I now have a great urge to write my own. Unfortunately I don't really know how, I have Ideas and stuff...but I don't know what a story is supposed to look like, as in the intro, the body etc; etc; It's very scary :[ The guidlines tell me that it has to be perfectly constructed in order for it not to be deleted, at least thats what I gather...and that just terrifies me. I just want to write a story :'[. ANYWAY MY IDEA: 1. There'll be demons involved and...maybe other such beings so I guess supernatural? :-;

2. Demons and Humans, I wan't to write a story about a girl, roughly 16, who is generally ignored by her fellow human classmates/society, who slowly realises that she's not as human as she once thought she was. She will meet a new classmate who happens to be demon, who will help her realise her true identity and help her to gain confidence in herself and gain trust in other people.

3. I want to write a story.

4. I intend on making up every detail of the story in my head, I also plan on drawing a draft on the environment and character appearances to help me make descriptions consistent and reasonable.

5. :P I'm kinda clueless.

This is the first story I've ever written, I'm more of a visual person, and I like using very descriptive words. Unfortunately, I'm not farmiliar with the layout of stories or chapters. I also get confused with 1st 2nd and 3rd person...I know 1st is 'I' 2nd is ...er 'she' and 3rd is ...No clue. I kinda really want to write this story mad crazy bad.

I can't draw a whole story, as much as I'd like to, and since everything I read or hear I imagine in pretty colours and perfect clarity, I want to create another world for myself and other readers. :[ It seems so hard. I'd really appreciate some help. (I've already imagined the begging few scenes and the characters attitudes, save for the main character who is still pretty empty in personality...but I think that's how I want her to be for the beggining, I'm just concerned with writting them out...Never written a story before.)

:3 I love to be told when things are crappy, and I love to be told why. So when I get the first chapter or so out, hopefully with your help, I would love for you all to bash it and call it stupid...in a...constructive way ;D. (constructive critisism)

Also, sorry once again if this is completely the wrong fourm/ place to post. I've literally NEVER posted on a fourm before. Please don't hate me. :[

1/3/2010 #27
Fractured Illusion

@TheGreyOne

The guidlines tell me that it has to be perfectly constructed in order for it not to be deleted,

I think what they mean is that you should proof-read your story before posting. The story itself doesn't need to be epic or a classic in the making.

I just want to write a story

Awesome!

I agree supernatural would be a good genre.

I'm more of a visual person, and I like using very descriptive words.

You could then either draw your characters first, to get the feel of them, or get inspiration for their looks on deviantart.com for example.

I also get confused with 1st 2nd and 3rd person...I know 1st is 'I' 2nd is ...er 'she' and 3rd is ...No clue. I kinda really want to write this story mad crazy bad.

1st person POV: "I walked across the hallway." With this POV you are inside the head of the character, and you write "I" about the things they do. But only with one character, not all. Ie, "I said to Billy "Come on", and Billy said to me, "Whatever.""

2nd: "You walked across the hallway." This is the least liked POV and I suggest staying away from it. It's basically addressing the main character as "you". Which in most cases doesnt make any sense.

3rd: "He walked across the hallway." There is an omnipresent narrator, narrating what the characters do. Therefore you don't use "I" like in 1st.

I probably messed something up but thats the general gist of it.

Never written a story before.

Everyone starts off that way, don't worry. :)

Not everyone uses layouts etc but here are some I find neat:

Write what is supposed to happen in each chapter, but loosely enough so you aren't too restricted. Aka;

Ch 1 - Main character's regular life introduced. Foreshadowing of Important person.

Ch 2 - Murder happens. Show Main Character's reaction

Ch 3 - Important Person meets with Main Character under false pretenses.

Sort of like that.

Anyway, the best advice I can give is: Just write! :p

Look at how your favorite stories go, and try to see what the authors did right, and try to incorporate it in your own story.

THIS PAGE has some good links for technical aspect of writing which you seem to be concerned about.

1/3/2010 . Edited 1/3/2010 #28
TheGreyOne

:3 thankyou, I appreciate your reply. Makes meh happeh.

The websites really help. I've started with the first chapter and it's okay. I can't tell if I'm rambling too much or not but...I like it. I'm worried that my first story will get flames more than anything...which is why I'm fussing over silly things like 'oh my gosh it needs to be perfect -twitch-'

^-^

1/4/2010 #29
Fractured Illusion

@TheGreyOne

I wouldn't worry about flames. I haven't seen a lot of those on this site.

I can't tell if I'm rambling too much or not but...I like it.

Then you should definitely keep on writing it :)

Good luck!

1/4/2010 #30
Page 1 2 Next »
Forum Moderators: Lime-Cat VelvetyCheerio, theflyingcrabsareeatingmyhair, UndeadWithoutCoffee
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member