Break Writer's Block
Do you have a case of Writer's Block? Click on the link for the cure! Aspiring writers welcome.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 .. Last Next »
UndeadWithoutCoffee

Welcome to Challenge Yourself!

This is a game that will help to get over a writer´s block.

In the first post you are required to set up a goal for yourself, this can be to write a new chapter in one of your existing stories or a new story or a poem. You have to give an explicit date and as an extra motivation the penalty for failure will be that you have to review one of the others taking part in this challenge, and who have accomplished their goal.

For example:

Person A: I want to write a chapter with approximately 1500 words for my story [insert name] and I want to be done in 5 days! The piece will be about ...

If I fail I will review one of my fellow participants!

If you accomplish your goal link to the chapter/story/poem as an edit in your first post for us to see that you made it in your own deadline. The reward will be the advertisement and readers you get through the linking of the stories and of course reviews from those who failed.

Please note that mods will interfere if the ratio between word-count and time you chose is ridiculous (for example something like 100 days for 500 words or so).

Please state a concrete date!

The challenge will be open all the time as it is a challenge against yourself and not a competition against others.

Of course you are welcomed to try out as often as you wish!

To secure that the penalty-reviews have a certain standard, we chose to make some review-requirements. Until there are participants who won the challenge against themselves you are free to review any member of this forum you wish though the review has to fulfill the requirements.

All penalty-reviews must be linked in your post for all to see!

All reviews for the stories here must follow these guidelines.

Please choose two or three of these and write a review with a total of ten constructive sentences- that is, ten sentences that clearly describe your reaction to any of these topics. If you choose to talk about more than three of these characteristics, then you should write a little more. Since doing more is your decision, you may write as much or as little as you choose after fulfilling the ten sentence requirement.

No flames please. Constructive criticism is fine, but do not be rude or abusive. It is also best to sprinkle praise in with your comments, so keep that in mind.

Summary: Is the listed summary of this story interesting and exciting? A summary on this site is a 250 character blurb that has to catch a reader as they skim down a page of stories- does it do this well? Describe your reaction and offer any advice you might have. If it's good, say why you think this. Is the summary an accurate representation of the story so far?

Beginning: A good rule of thumb is that every story should begin with a "hook" of some sort to get the reader interested. Does this story do this? Explain why or why not.

Plot and Conflict: Is the plot engaging and believable? Are your questions answered as you go along? How does dialog and other aspects of the writing propel the story forward? Can you see any conflict in the story? Conflict can be either inner-conflict or outer-conflict:

Inner-conflict: When different values, wishes and desires are at war within the character's own mind. These can be, for example: greed, duty, fear, lust, revenge and love. Outer-conflict: When the longings/needs of different characters clash together.

Setting: Is the setting well described? Are all of the senses engaged? Do the characters interact with the setting?

Characters: Are they engaging? How are they described? Do you feel any sympathy for them, or at least some sort of connection? Does the author give you enough details and information about them? Is the dialog convincing and does everyone stay in character? At the same time, are the characters dynamic and does anyone (particularly the protagonist) change or grow over the course of the story? Is this change believable?

Style: This is essentially a combination of word choice and tone. Is the author's style distinct and noticeable, and does it contribute to the story? Does the author maintain this style throughout the piece? Feel free to comment on the language or any specific parts of speech and their effect on the delivery of the narrative (are the verbs/ nouns/ adjectives/ etc. clear and descriptive, or overly ornate, etc.), or any effect spelling and grammar have on the whole piece. How does the point of view contribute or detract from the piece? Is it used effectively? Does the author "show not tell" the different aspects of the plot, characters, setting, etc?

Moral/Theme: Is there a moral or at least a theme to the story? Do you notice any possible symbolism that makes the story deeper or could be used to do so, and is this symbolism appropriate? What does it seem that the author is trying to say with this story?

Other: Describe your overall impression, wrap up the review, or make note of any extra details or things that aren't covered in these guidelines.

How you fulfill these requirements is entirely up to you: make notes on specific quotes, ramble, whatever. As long as you detail your opinions on at least two different aspects and fill the sentence requirement, you can do what you want. I'll say it again, though, no flaming. If you really only have criticism, then try to be kind about it.

2/9/2009 . Edited 2/15/2009 #1
UndeadWithoutCoffee

Successful Participants

Avant-garde and Dream Realms: Lucidity (1 of 1)

Demented Hellion: A Demon's World (3.25.09 -- 1 of 1)

Avant-garde and Dream Realms: Defenseless We Will Stand (1 of 1)

Demented Hellion: A Demon's World (4.17.09 -- 1 of 1)

gigglebug: Makeshift Destiny (1 of 1)

Yael Itamar: The Temple Well (1 of 1 -- note: story removed)

Unsuccessful Participants

dragonflydreamer: (0 of 2) PENALTY REVIEW DONE

Misty Elizabeth: True Love Is Always Silent (1 of 2) PENALTY REVIEW DONE

FirstBloom13: (0 of 1) PENALTY REVIEW DONE

confetti.hippie: (0 of 1) PENALTY REVIEW 1: DONE; PENALTY REVIEW 2: IN-PROGRESS

the.cliche.tragedy: (0 of 1) [Outstanding Fine (1 review) - 5.15.09 - PMed reminder 8.4.09]

jessnutsss: (0 of 1) [Outstanding Fine (1 review) - 6.15.09 - PMed reminder 8.4.09]

GuysandDolls: (0 of 1) [Outstanding Fine (1 review) - 7.5.09 - PMed reminder 8.4.09]

Carus: (0 of 1) PENALTY REVIEW: DONE

----

To the Unsuccessful Participants: Once you have reviewed a successful participant, please PM a mod stating which piece and chapter (as applicable) you reviewed. Thanks.

2/9/2009 . Edited by Carus, 8/16/2009 #2
Avant-garde and Dream Realms

Here goes:

I want to write a prologue with approximately 2000 words and I want to be done in 3 days. The piece will be about Magill, a teenage girl, and Tri, her Dream Guardian, discussing Magill's "impossible" stalker while in the Dream Realm.

If I fail, I will review one of my fellow participants.

Be back in 3 days! (I hope...)

Edit:

All right, it's finished! And honestly, I don't really know if it's late or not, but it turned out to be over the goal I set for myself. So, uh, here it is. =]

Chapter 1 of "Lucidity": Stalker

I hope it turned out okay.

Edit from Silberbluete: Rain asked my to edit this as she can´t in this post (was edited by a mod before)

If you have to review one of the successful participants, Rain would prefer a review on the following piece:

"Defenseless, We Will Stand"

2/12/2009 . Edited by UndeadWithoutCoffee, 4/14/2009 #3
UndeadWithoutCoffee

Good luck Rain!

Edit: Well done Rain :) You made it in time so congratulations on being the first to accomplish this goal!

As a treat for winning the challenge I will review the story asap.

2/13/2009 . Edited 2/15/2009 #4
dragonflydreamer

Oh look at me, trying to write stories and such XD

I want to write a prologue for one of my stories that is around 1,000 words by the end of my vacation (Sunday the 22nd). The first possible story is a historical set in Tuscany about TB, and the other is a fantasy that I originally started for NaNoWriMo.

I also want to write the preface to my story, "Simple Song." It'll be very short, probably no more than 500 words, but I swear I'll edit it to death before posting! This has the same deadline.

If I fail to do this, I will review one of my fellow participants with all of the review categories :o

2/15/2009 . Edited 2/15/2009 #5
UndeadWithoutCoffee

Okay go ahead ;)

Please show link via edit in your first post once you are done!

EDIT: Due to glitches I will give you additional time.

As I hope you are done with the stories already I will give you until thursday evening at midnight time to upload. I will check then if you have uploaded, if not the review is due!

2/16/2009 . Edited 2/24/2009 #6
Left FP

Ahem...I don't know what's gotten into me. Still -

I am going to write at least two one shots within Wednesday.

Within 1,000 - 1, 500 words each. And that will be 25.02.09

If I fail, I am going to write out reviews for whoever gets it! XD

EDIT: I did the first one-shot but thanks to glitches couldn't get it up before.

True Love Is Always Silent

Second one comes soon or I pay my fine. ;)

2/21/2009 . Edited 2/22/2009 #7
UndeadWithoutCoffee

I need a date and how many words.

If that fits you are cleared to go.

Edit: Okay you are cleared to go ahead with the challenge!

EDIT2: Okay Bender, You have the whole wednesday still. As FP is working again you should be fine. Good luck!

Edit 3: Additional time due to glitches will run out at midnight. if you do not submit until then A review goes to Rain, for I think she is the only one who has succeeded so far.

2/21/2009 . Edited 2/26/2009 #8
Lime-Cat

-- OFF TOPIC --

Both dragonflydreamer and Misty Elizabeth owe Avant-garde and Dream Realms (the only successful participant thus far) a review. You will have from the end of March 11, 2009 to pay your fine (review). PMs have been sent to you.

EDIT: Misty Elizabeth has reviewed Avant-garde and Dream Realms.

-- END OFF TOPIC --

Challenge yourself, people! ;)

3/3/2009 . Edited 3/21/2009 #9
Avant-garde and Dream Realms

I'm back! =D Because, unfortunately, my muse has been kidnapped by the Evil Plot Bunnies. They want me to start more stories instead of finishing the ones I've already started. =(

I'd like to write a chapter that is roughly 7,000 words for my story 'Defenseless, We Will Stand'.

I wish for it to be done by Saturday April 4th.

The chapter will be about Tazz, Tamika, and Zaya arriving to a safehouse and overhearing Corthith talking to his men about the next village to be attacked, which has a close connection to Tazz and Zaya. It may or may not include their reaction to the information, since I want it to end with Corthith saying something of the cliffhanger nature.

If I fail, I'm sure I can dish out two reviews. =]

EDIT: Okay, I'm all done! I've separated the words into three chapters because I got sidetracked and needed to split everything up. I think it's around 7,000 words, but it might be more around 6,500. =/ Well I present to you Duty Calls, Isolation, and The Trap. And I am now off to babysit!

3/24/2009 . Edited 4/15/2009 #10
UndeadWithoutCoffee

Okay you are cleared with that. Good luck!

Edit: Well done!

3/24/2009 . Edited 4/5/2009 #11
Demented Hellion

My challenge is to write a 1500 word second chapter to A Demon's World and post both the first and second chapters by Saturday, March 28th. The second chapter will be about Aislinn's meeting with her father and mother and discovering her destiny to be a demonic oracle. Should I not make my deadline, I'll give 2 reviews. I am pretty sure I can do that.

Edit:

Weeee..... I did it! Wrote Chapter Two and posted both chapters A Demon's World ... and it's only Wednesday, amazing how much work can be done when you can't sleep.

3/24/2009 . Edited 3/25/2009 #12
UndeadWithoutCoffee

okay good luck with that :)

3/24/2009 #13
FirstBloom13

ohhkay my challenge: I want to have an 1500-ish word 2nd chapter to shards of snow up by next wednesday. (april 8th)

if I fail, I will review one of my fellow participants :)

EDIT: ALLLL RIGHTY! I have reviewed Advant-Garde and Dream Realms for my penalty, and here it is :)

3/31/2009 . Edited 4/14/2009 #14
null.account

Hmm, okay- I am going to add a chapter to my story 'atypical asian girl' byy the sixth of April, which would be next monday. if i should fail to do so, i will give two reviews.

Edit:

Wow...I really don't know what I'm doing, haha. I have no idea how to edit my post. :\ oh well.

As for how many words I want the chapter to be, that would be 2000. thanks for reminding me, I completely forgot! :)

3/31/2009 . Edited by UndeadWithoutCoffee, 4/1/2009 #15
Lime-Cat

@Sakura

Ok. Happy writings to ya.

@confetti.hippie

Please edit your post to state a ballpark range of how many words are going to be in the chapter you're challenging yourself with. Other than missing a concrete number of words, you're good to go.

EDIT: Thanks for stating the number of words. When you have completed your challenge, please PM a mod telling them you have fulfilled your challenge. From there, a mod will edit your original post because it has been edited by a mod and can no longer be edited by the original poster (aka you). ;p

3/31/2009 . Edited 4/2/2009 #16
Lime-Cat

Both Sakura and confetti.hippie failed to complete their respective challenges. The list of successful participants is on the 2nd post of this thread. Please give one review to either person for a story that meets the review requirements detailed in the 1st post of this thread.

As indicated in the Problems/General Questions thread, unsuccessful participants have 1 week from today to give their reviews. That is, the deadline to pay your fine (review) is 11:59PM (FP time) on April 16th. 1 week extensions will be granted on a case-by-case basis - please PM a mod (Lime-Cat, Silberbluete or Carus) to request an extension.

Thanks for playing in the Challenge Yourself thread, I hope you had fun! :D

4/9/2009 #17
Demented Hellion

Ok, I have another challenge for myself: I want to write the fifth chapter for A Demon's World, it will be at least 1500 words and will be done by the 25 of April which is one week from tomorrow. Also, I will have the first two chapters fixed. I had quite a few small typos and flow issues.

If I fail to do this I will give two reviews to my fellow challengers.

~DH~

*EDIT* I have combined some chapters so technically it won't be the fifth chapter it will be the third chapter. So.... yea, third chapter for A Demon's World. At least 1500 words and done by the 25th.

4/17/2009 . Edited 4/17/2009 #18
Tekla

I want to challenge myself!

I want to write my third chapter for Makeshift Destiny. I'm hoping it will be roughly 1000 words, give or take 100. I hope to have it posted by the 24th, at the latest (due to travel in the middle of the week, I may not have time to do so until then).

IF I FAIL, I WILL REVIEW.

hope this is acceptable. =]

EDIT:

WOOO, I made it!

Life is good! :D

4/18/2009 . Edited 4/24/2009 #19
Lime-Cat

Lazuli and Sheriff are good to go. Good luck! :)

4/18/2009 #20
the.cliche.tragedy

I hope to get around to typing my first One shot!!

I hope it will be up by June 10th

IF NOT I SWEAR I'LL REVIEW!

5/15/2009 #21
Lime-Cat

-- OFF TOPIC --

wilted: You need to specify number of words. Also, the deadline seems a bit far away for a one-shot - nearly a month's time. I would recommend retracting your post if you currently do not have time due to school or whatnot; and making a post when you do have more free-time. The idea is that if you're busy, you're going to put off the writing because your deadline is far away - the point of this thread is to give yourself a plausible goal. So, I hope you don't take this (what I've said) the wrong way. ^^'

-- END OFF TOPIC --

5/15/2009 #22
Yael Itamar

This sounds like a great idea!

I'm starting to re-write the beginning of my NiP, The Temple Well. How about having the first scene done in the next three days? (~800-1000 words by Thursday, June 4th)

If it isn't finished (or it is finished, but it's less than 800 words) I'll critique something here.

6/2/2009 #23
Yael Itamar

(Since I don't know how to edit old posts.)

The first scene of The Temple Well is finished and has been posted. It's about 2500 words, which is more than twice as much as I expected.

URL: http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2681272/1/

-Scream

6/4/2009 #24
UndeadWithoutCoffee

Congrats!

To edit your posts you select Mod (down on the right of your posts) and there should be the option "edit"

6/10/2009 #25
jessnutsss

Can I just say that this is really awesome?:P

So here it goes..

I want to finish editing the second chapter of my story "When the actor can't act". A new character will be introduced and I cannot wait for my readers to get to know him. I should hopefully finish it by tomorrow night and if I do fail, I promise to review one my fellow participants.

So help me God.

6/15/2009 #26
MrxAwesomexSauce

So...I'm going to write a new chapter with a new character in a week or i will review five others! = P

I can do it!

7/5/2009 #27
UndeadWithoutCoffee

Good luck to both of you :)

7/18/2009 #28
Carus

Both GuysandDolls and jessnutsss failed to complete their respective challenges. The list of successful participants is on the 2nd post of this thread. Please give one review to either person for a story that meets the review requirements detailed in the 1st post of this thread.

8/4/2009 . Edited 8/4/2009 #29
Carus

I am going to challenge myself! I want to submit an entry for WCC August. Therefore I'd like to write an entry by the seventh. I don't know about word count because I'm not sure if it'll be a poem or a story, so I'll just leave it as submitting something. :D

I'll review one of my fellow participants if I don't submit anything.

8/4/2009 #30
Page 1 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Lime-Cat VelvetyCheerio, theflyingcrabsareeatingmyhair, UndeadWithoutCoffee
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member