Fantasy RPG
An RPG world where people can be whatever they want! Post here concerning you character's name, appearance, etc.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
Jackie the Giant

A smog-filled, alternate version of London. To a stranger it would look pretty much like Victorian London, but if you look closer you'll see that the horses are not all real, but clockwork, and that almost every house has clockwork servants. Only the rich can afford real horses, but on the other side of the coin the poor cannot afford a clockwork man.

Anything that is possible in Modern Times is possible in Steampunk Victorian Times. Everyone still dresses and acts as a Victorian Englishman/woman should, but with more sophisticated (albeit steam powered or clockwork) gadgets scattered about.

2/6/2012 #1
Orio K

((I'll join this, but I don't have time right now. :B))

2/6/2012 #2
Jackie the Giant

"Don't be nervous, don't be nervous, don't be nervous."

This was what Edison Harpsody muttered over and over to himself as he strode down the street. His pale face was drawn with anxiety and his carefully-polished shoes clicked on the cobblestone. A bouquet of flowers was clutched in his hand.

He stopped just short of his target: a bookstore run by a pretty woman named Kathryn Hartnell. He began picking nervously at the flowers, trying to think what he would say to her.

"Hello, Miss Hartnell." He said to the wall, pretending it was Kathryn. "You look very swine today. I mean, fine today!" He quickly amended, then face-palmed with a sigh. He was really pathetic. "Good Lord." He muttered. "I'm not even talking to her yet, and I'm already stuttering!"

2/6/2012 #3
Orio K

"Get back here!"

Frankie vaulted the chimney in front of her and, timing it perfectly, slid through the whirling fan blades of the air conditioning unit, and dropped down into the bookstore. Douglas, the policeman who had followed her onto the roof after he caught her stealing an important cog from his clockwork horse, was one of the younger, braver ones, but it would still take him a bit to navigate the AC ducts. Long enough for her to get safely back to the mech shop she was apprenticed at, if she ran.

Grinning and waving to Kathryn, Frankie hiked up her stained overalls and ran for the door, not thinking that there might be someone on the other side.

2/8/2012 . Edited 2/8/2012 #4
Jackie the Giant

Edison took a breath and was about to grab the handle of the bookshop door when it exploded open, expelling a young woman in overalls. She slammed into his chest and sent both of them sprawling onto the ground.

"What the deuces?" The inventor spluttered in shock. He hadn't even fully registered what had hit him.

2/8/2012 #5
Orio K
"Woah!" yipped Frankie, tumbling to the ground. "Sorry, pops! You okay?" She hopped to her feet and offered the man a hand.
2/8/2012 #6
Jackie the Giant

"Um, yes. I'm fine." Edison replied as he picked up his top hat off the ground and looked woefully at his scattered flowers. "I'm fine."

2/8/2012 #7
Alex Rashid

(can i hop in here?)

2/8/2012 #8
Orio K

"Sorry 'bout your flowers. Were you bringin' them for Miss Kat?" she asked, inspecting him. He looked like a smart guy, maybe a scientist or something.

2/8/2012 #9
Jackie the Giant

((Sure, if you've got a steampunk character, Alex.))

"Um, yes." Edison nodded shyly. "I had been planning on asking her to dinner but..." He shook his head. "I would probably botch it anyway. I'm afraid I'm better with machines than I am with people." He said all this with the timid air of someone used to getting shot down for his ideas. He always spoke like this when not talking about machines.

2/8/2012 #10
Orio K

"Oh, I totally know what you mean!" nodded Frankie. "Machines are way easier. They never yell atcha, even when you mess up."

She stuck her hand out. "I'm Frankie. I'm a machinist."

2/8/2012 #11
Jackie the Giant
"Indeed." Edison agreed readily, taking her hand and shaking it. "Professor Edison Harpsody, inventor." He replied to her introduction.
2/8/2012 #12
Orio K

Douglas burst out of the shop and almost ran into them.

"Sir, is she bothering you?" he panted, narrowing his eyes at Frankie.

2/8/2012 #13
Jackie the Giant

Edison blinked at Douglas. "No indeed." He replied, the timid tone back again. "I'm sorry, was I interrupting something?"

2/8/2012 #14
Orio K

"Aw, lighten up, copper. Here's your cog," she said, tossing the piece of metal at Douglas, "I just noticed that it was dented, so I was going to fix it. But hey, if you don't mind riding around on a defective clockwork horse, who am I to judge."

Douglas snorted and stomped off, grumpy as usual.

"Sorry about that. Anyway, lets go get you some more flowers."

2/8/2012 #15
Jackie the Giant

"Um, no, no that's all right." Edison said, not wanting to bother Frankie unduly. "I... I think I'll try again with Miss Hartnell another day. It was very kind of you to offer assistance though." As you might guess, he didn't get to interact with people much. He was never sure how to act around other people that wouldn't insult them, and this made him nervous.

2/9/2012 . Edited 2/9/2012 #16
Orio K

She frowned, chewing her lip. Then, suddenly, Frankie remembered that she was supposed to be at the mech shop...five minutes ago.

"Shoot! Quick, come with me!" she said, grabbing Edison's hand and beginning to drag him off to the shop.

2/9/2012 #17
Jackie the Giant

"What? Where?" Edison asked as he was pulled down the street by the strange young woman. Was he being kidnapped? Should he be shouting for help? Surely this was not the way to kidnap someone. "Where are we going?" He asked again, clearly flustered.

2/9/2012 #18
Orio K

"I'm super late!" Frankie said over her shoulder. "We have to get to the mech shop. I have an idea about your flowers!"

2/11/2012 #19
Jackie the Giant
"Um, all right." Edison said, still somewhat confused. He didn't argue though, and let Frankie lead him down the street, though she was faster than he was. All he could do was hold on to his hat and try to keep up.
2/11/2012 #20
Orio K

((Sorry! I must have missed the alert in my mailbox))

Frankie led Edison to the mech shop, and in through the back door. A titanic hulk of a man grunted at her and tossed her an apron as they passed through into a room full of hot metal and tools, and into a smaller room, which had chairs and a table.

"Sit here!" she said, gesturing to one of the chairs. "I've got to talk to the boss man, and then I'll be back for you."

2/15/2012 #21
Jackie the Giant

((S'okay. :) ))

Still somewhat in a daze, Edison sat obediantly in the chair and looked around the room, his hat clutched tightly in his hands. However, the clutching was due to excitement and not fear. Despite his status as an inventor, he had never been inside a mech shop before, let alone the back room. He peered curiously around, any nervousness melting away until he looked like a child who wanted to explore but knew he would get into trouble if he did.

2/15/2012 #22
Orio K

Frankie came back a few minutes later with a short, thin man, who squinted at Edison.

"Edison, this is the boss, Leonard. He's a grump, but he's secretly a nice guy."

Leonard shot Frankie a venomous look. "You're the inventor? Frankie said she ruined your flowers. Sorry about her."

2/15/2012 #23
Jackie the Giant
"Oh! Yes." Edison replied, his nervousness returning in a fluttery nod. "And it's quite all right about the flowers. It was, after all, an accident." He said reasonably, not wanting to make Leonard mad at him. The look the mech owner was giving him was not helping his anti-social tendencies.
2/15/2012 #24
Orio K

"No, she's going to make up for it. It'll be a lesson. You don't need to be anywhere right now, do you?" Leonard asked.

Frankie grinned at Edison, trying to be reassuring.

2/15/2012 #25
Jackie the Giant
"Um, no. No, I don't need to be anywhere." Edison replied. The grin didn't reassure him any, but then anything Leonard did probably would have alienated the inventor further. He was beginning to wonder if his hat was going to be irrepairably dented from his mangling the rim with his nervous fingers.
2/15/2012 #26
Orio K
"Good," growled Leonard, "We're gonna make you some real pretty replacement flowers. Draw us up something good, Mr. Inventor."

Frankie supplied Edison with some graph paper, a pencil and a ruler.

2/15/2012 #27
Jackie the Giant

Edison immediately perked up as he was handed the tools to invent something. He picked up the pencil and began to get to work. The rest of the world did not exist as he created.

After about two hours of this, he finally brought Leonard and Frankie a design for a metal hybiscus flower that would actually bloom when put into the sun and close when taken out of it.

2/15/2012 #28
Orio K

Leonard looked up from the set of gears he was showing Frankie how to align and whistled, impressed.

"This is great!" he said. "After we make this for you, would you mind if we added it to our catalog? Hell, if it sells, I wouldn't mind contracting you to design more of these. Frankie, you're a pain in the ass, but every once in a while, I'm glad you're around."

Frankie grinned and clapped Edison on the back.

2/15/2012 #29
Jackie the Giant

"No, I wouldn't mind at all." Edison replied, trying not to physcially shy away from the invasion of his personal space. He knew he needed to get over his problem with physical contact if he was to interact with people.

2/15/2012 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Ibex ReallyWonder, Orio K
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member