The Enlightened Mind Cafe
Are you intrested in discussions and maybe even debates with other enlightened minds? Warning: People who think, learn, and grow come here. Everyone welcome from all faiths, spiritualities, and even non-faith.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Isca

What literary genre is your favourite? What books are on your "Books to Read" list? Are you currently reading anything? Have you seen any movie adaptations of books that you liked/disliked? Do you prefer going to the library or the bookstore? Do you have any book recommendations for us? Do you like a particular literary time-period?

5/22/2009 #1
Isca

I'm currently re-reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Surprise surprise. xD

7/15/2010 #2
Psycho Paradox

Doc is currently readinghis isky-bbys body like it's a braill bible for jesus gestapo.

7/15/2010 #3
DreamingEternal

What literary genre is your favourite? I'm addicted to teen vampire/supernatural series like Vampire academy. And now to adult series in the same genre like Moon Called and Richelle Mead's Succubus books. For classics, i like romances like Jane Eyre and Pride and Prejudice. For shakespeare, his tragedies are best. Dont you love it how everybody dies in in the end, most of them unecessarily, and there's just a pile of dead bodies on stage?

Are you currently reading anything? just finished Paradise Lost. Now reading Madame Bovary for school. For fun im reading Shakespeare's Antony and Cleopatra and rereading Lord of the Rings.

7/23/2010 #4
lipleaf

I read a lot of genres, I guess. I'm not sure how to describe what I've been reading lately, haha. The Street Lawyer (John Grisham), The Girl who Loved Tom Gordon (Stephen King), 1984 (George Orwell), and right now I'm reading Death of an Ordinary Man (Glen Duncan) and 100 Great Poems by Women. I plan to read The Great Gatsby after that. I want to read The Stranger, The Last Universe, and I, Lucifer, but my local library seems to have none of them. I might read Catcher in the Rye, though.

7/23/2010 #5
Isca

Catcher in the Rye was one of those books that I disliked while reading, and then years later, actually developed an appreciation for. I'm not quite sure how that works. :P

7/24/2010 #6
skyward squidly squee

Here we go.

As far as genres. I don't believe I've read a ton of literature in any genre at all. I've just a read a lot. All over the place. Without direction.

What I'm reading now is for a book club. :P

Right now I'm very interested in Gothic fiction. I don't believe I've read any, and that's what I plan to change. I kind of plan to go crazy and read every piece of Gothic fiction I can find. Do you like any Gothic fiction? Help me out here! :3

7/25/2010 #7
Isca

Obviously, if you haven't read Shelley's Frankenstein, you *may* want to get on that.

(short story) "The Sandman" by E.T.A Hoffmann.

(short story) "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson.

Anything by Edgar Allan Poe.

"Dracula" by Bram Stoker.

"The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" by R. L. Stevenson.

I'd read "Alias Grace" by Margaret Atwood too [it sort of fits the genre near the end of the book].

7/25/2010 #8
Creeping Collarbones

I bought Dracula the other day! I've been wanting to read it and it was only like four dollars.

As for genres, I really read anything. Except, someteen romance books make me want to barf. And I'm not very big on sci-fi, but I'll read it.

I'm currently reading The Forest of Hands and Teeth. It's a post apoctalyptic book. There's zombies in it. Yes, Squid, zombies! Except they're not called zombies in the book. Haha. I like it so far. It's interesting.

7/25/2010 #9
Lyllyth

heh heh. "the Lottery." I remember that story. I love short stories like that. There's another interesting short story called "the veldt" but I have no idea who it's by or if I even spelled that correctly.

Right now I'm reading Crime and Punishment for school. It's ok. I'm excited to start reading "Faust".

7/27/2010 #10
DreamingEternal

I was personally dissappointed in Dracula (it got repetitive and the character of Dracula was completely undeveloped; he was pure evil with no other motivations and i dont think it even says how he became a vampire). Nevertheless, I think it is a necessary read in order to understand where most of the modern vampire stories hav their roots.

An interesting note: the historical Dracula was actually teh ruler of Wallachia, the country next to Transylvania (both in present-day Romania), so why is Dracula associated with transylvania?

7/27/2010 #11
Forum Moderators: May Elizabeth Psycho Paradox, skyward squidly squee, lipleaf, Isca
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member