The Enlightened Mind Cafe
Are you intrested in discussions and maybe even debates with other enlightened minds? Warning: People who think, learn, and grow come here. Everyone welcome from all faiths, spiritualities, and even non-faith.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 Next »
Isca

Post your favourite quotes in this thread.

7/30/2009 #1
Isca

Cedric: "Hufflepuffs are particularly good finders." -grins-

Dumbles: "What the *hell* is a 'Hufflepuff'?" -glare-

7/15/2010 #2
skyward squidly squee

"I said that with some kind of swagger that I did not intend to say it with." - spoken by [one can only guess]

8/4/2010 #3
callmebrighteyes

"Red vines: What the hell CAN'T they do?" -Ron Weasley

"I DO love Muggle knitting patterns." -Dumbledore

8/5/2010 #4
Isca

Dumbles is so cheerful that I, at once, both want to huggle and strangle him.

8/5/2010 #5
callmebrighteyes

Huggle+strangle=struggle???

8/7/2010 #6
skyward squidly squee

Well that sounds about perfect. o-o

8/7/2010 #7
Isca

He struggles me to death. Ahah, how amusing.

8/7/2010 #8
skyward squidly squee

"Brevity is the soul of wit, and tediousness the limbs and outward flourishes."

8/7/2010 #9
Isca

BREVITY IS THE SOUL OF WIT YOU MOFO! I f--king love that quote. Coles notes version: Don't be prolix, dumbass.

8/7/2010 #10
skyward squidly squee

Prolixity is my middle name.

8/7/2010 #11
waitingforwhatever

"The highways of life are full of flat squirrels who couldn't make up their minds."--unknown.

"It's no longer a question of staying healthy. It's a question of finding a sickness you like."--Jackie Mason.

"Take away my license but don't steal my independence. I will let you drive, but let me tell you where I want to go."--Joanne Coste.

8/7/2010 #12
waitingforwhatever

"It's only overwhelming if you think about how overwhelming it is."---me! I just now came up with it. :P

8/8/2010 #13
ImagingThings

"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!" Adam Savage!

8/8/2010 #14
skyward squidly squee

Wee! That one's lovely, Imaging!

:3

8/8/2010 #15
callmebrighteyes

I never knew who said that, Imaging. AND I QUOTE IT ALL THE TIME.

"I'm not superhuman. I can't protect everybody in the whole world. But I don't want to just protect the few I can hold in my arms, either. I want to protect as many people as I can." -Ichigo, Bleach vol.4

8/23/2010 #16
Psycho Paradox

Gib jedem Tag die Chance, der schönste deines Lebens zu werden.

Man vergisst vielleicht, wo man die Friedenspfeife vergraben hat. Aber man vergisst niemals, wo das Beil liegt.

Freundlichkeit ist eine Sprache, die die Taube hören und Blinde lesen können.

Wenn wir bedenken, dass wir alle verrückt sind, ist das Leben erklärt.

8/23/2010 #17
waitingforwhatever

From Nightlight, one of the best books ever written:

"His laugh was like the jingle of a thousand manly sirens."

"A true best friend would feel comfortable having a seizure in front of me, pausing to laugh when I did my wry, epileptic impersonation."

"I look at your face and try to guess what you are thinking, and all I hear is BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP."

"If I could destroy every part of my brain except the part that smelled your smell, I would do it. I would do it in a second."

8/28/2010 #18
skyward squidly squee

Oh my geez! I saw that book at Borders! ... And practically everywhere else. And now I'm sure I need to get it! I adore the first three, and the last one is funny as well. 8333

8/28/2010 #19
Lyllyth

Some phrases that amused me while reading Faust: "poodlishly ridiculous" and "hippopotamus of foam." Even funnier out of context. lol

8/30/2010 #20
waitingforwhatever

I might have this be my senior quote:

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."----Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wouldn't that be awesome?!?!

8/30/2010 #21
Isca

WFW: I thought perhaps you'd enjoy some more Emerson quotes.

"A man is what he thinks about all day long." [Thus, Isky is an Elven Queen who is married to Severus Snape. Said couple dominates the world together. In their spare time, when they're not AK-ing things into oblivion, they like to read poetry aloud, go on adventures that involve camping and dancing, and have the best sex this world has ever known. xD]

"Children are all foreigners."

"Earth laughs in flowers."

"Every wall is a door."

"Hitch your wagon to a star."

"I like the silent church, before the service begins, better than any preaching." [I agree. Silence is glorious.]

"Let us be silent, that we may hear the whispers of the gods."

"Nothing is, at last, sacred but your own mind." [No one can break your mind unless you let them. OCCLUDE!]

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." [Resilience, baby.]

"The greatest gift is a portion of thyself."

"To be great is to be misunderstood."

"We do not yet possess ourselves, and we know at the same time that we are much more." [This is one of the most profound things I've ever heard. We're in Limbo. We're stuck here, and yet, we know that we are destined for greatness.]

8/30/2010 #22
lipleaf

"Show me a hero and I will write you a tragedy." -Scott F. Fitzgerald

9/4/2010 #23
callmebrighteyes

Cyne: That's a brilliant one.

Hey everyone. I'm doing a quote book for a school project, where I collect quotes that have to do with the themes in "To Kill A Mockingbird". The themes I chose are love and protection, motivation, bravery, justice, and childhood. If you have any quotes either from yourself or others that would work for those, please let me know. It would be great to be able to get your thoughts.

9/5/2010 #24
lipleaf

Well, one of the ones Isky has up there- "The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall"- should work quite well for bravery. I'll be sure to look out for more- I love quote-hunting. :D

9/5/2010 #25
lipleaf

"Justice denied anywhere diminishes justice everywhere." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Nothing is to be preferred before justice." - Socrates

"An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, a hand for a hand, a foot for a foot."

EDIT: I'm just going to compile all of the quotes I find into one post.

For childhood, a poem entitled "We Real Cool" by Gwendolyn Brooks:

THE POOL PLAYERS.

SEVEN AT THE GOLDEN SHOVEL.

We real cool. We

Left school. We

Lurk late. We

Strike straight. We

Sing sin. We

Thin gin. We

Jazz June. We

Die soon.

9/5/2010 . Edited 9/5/2010 #26
lipleaf

F-CK FP AND ITS SHITTY FORMATTING! Gah. D:

9/5/2010 #27
callmebrighteyes

Thanks, Cyne, honey. I actually have half those quotes too :) And I agree with the suckiness.

9/5/2010 #28
PointlessStoriesAreMyThing
"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: It goes on." ~ Robert Frost

"I don't want to die - I just want a life worth living. But this, this isn't living." ~ Emily Anne Giambalvo

"If everyone was an artist, the buildings would all be painted brightly, a sunset would never pass by unnoticed, and everyone who is now considered crazy would be given a palate and encouraged to draw." ~ Emily Anne Giambalvo

"Change your point of view, and you change everything." ~ Emily Anne Giambalvo

"Being strong isn't about finding something to live for, it's about having nothing to live for and still finding the strength to get up in the morning." ~ Emily Anne Giambalvo

"The only difference between a man and a beast is the way they are viewed." ~ Emily Anne Giambalvo

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." ~ Mother Teresa

9/6/2010 #29
Isca

All quotes are from the movie "The Hours."

Clarissa: You don't have to go to the party, you don't have to go to the ceremony, you don't have to do anything you don't want to do. You can do as you like.

Richard: But I still have to face the hours, don't I? I mean, the hours after the party, and the hours after that...

--

Virginia: You cannot find peace by avoiding life, Leonard.

--

Clarissa: That is what we do. That is what people do, Richard, they stay alive for each other.

--

Virginia: Dear Leonard. To look life in the face, always, to look life in the face and to know it for what it is. At last to know it, to love it for what it is, and then, to put it away. Leonard, always the years between us, always the years. Always the love. Always the hours.

--

Richard: Oh Mrs. Dalloway...always giving parties to cover the silence.

--

Virginia: Someone has to die so that others may value life more. It's contrast.

--

Angelica Bell: What happens when we die?

Virginia: We return to the place that we came from.

9/9/2010 #30
Page 1 2 Next »
Forum Moderators: May Elizabeth Psycho Paradox, skyward squidly squee, lipleaf, Isca
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member