Civil War RPG
Play as a Union or Confederate soldier, doctor, nurse or civilian in the war over states rights and preserving the Union. All are welcome.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 54 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 74 .. Last Next »
Uldaren Bardaniel

"We all do," John replied. He looked up to the stars, feeling the vast space surrounding them. It had been so long since he'd first learned what they stood for....

11/27/2009 #1,891
SnowClaw of Windclan

Charlie nodded gently. "John?"

11/27/2009 #1,892
Uldaren Bardaniel

John looked back at Charlie. "Yes?"

11/27/2009 #1,893
SnowClaw of Windclan

"I made a mistake."

11/27/2009 #1,894
Uldaren Bardaniel

John nodded quietly, letting Charlie know he was listening.

11/27/2009 #1,895
SnowClaw of Windclan

"I...I don't love her, and I never will.", he said quietly.

11/27/2009 #1,896
Uldaren Bardaniel

John nodded again. He was no expert at this at all, he reflected. "We all make mistakes," he said quietly. "Sometimes they turn out well enough, and sometimes they don't."

11/28/2009 . Edited 11/28/2009 #1,897
SnowClaw of Windclan

"This won't turn out well.", Charlie stated.

11/29/2009 #1,898
Uldaren Bardaniel

"Can you be that sure?" John asked, glancing at him.

11/29/2009 #1,899
SnowClaw of Windclan

"John, I am sixteen. I don't want to be a stupid father."

11/29/2009 #1,900
Uldaren Bardaniel

John shook his head. "Charlie, it's not the child's fault. It don't even know you're its father..." He paused. "And someday, it might need a father."

11/29/2009 #1,901
SnowClaw of Windclan

"You don't know anything.", he stated, "The child will have a damn mother and that's all he needs. I'm just a kid! I can't do any good for the stupid thing if I try." He folded his arms and sat down in the grass, drawing his knees to his chest.

11/29/2009 #1,902
Uldaren Bardaniel

John shook his head again, more firmly. "That's defeatism, Charlie," he spoke up, in a firmer tone than before, looking at the younger man. Years of instinct screamed against this, him lecturing a white man, but he knew it had to be done. "You've been thrown into a situation no one should have to face, that's true. But you can't give up. You got to start shouldering responsibility, like you shoulder your musket out there on the field!" He pointed to his own weapon, leaning against the tent pole nearby. "If you thought you could be out here and do a man's work, that's what you've got to do. There's no hiding from it."

He paused, looking at Charlie, half expecting the other soldier to hit him now.

11/29/2009 . Edited 11/29/2009 #1,903
SnowClaw of Windclan

Charlie narrowed his eyes, glaring. "You don't understand! Nobody can understand and I hope she has a damn miscarraige! If Lewis wasn't so bound by his stupid ethics I'd ask him to do it!"

11/29/2009 #1,904
Uldaren Bardaniel

John met his glare, again, his self-preservation screaming at him to stop this insanity, before he got hurt. He didn't even think he cared now. "You're right. I don't understand. How could I? But you have got to stop blaming the world for your own mistakes! Look!" He pulled his shirt back, revealing the old whip scars all along his back. "These weren't given to me because I made a mistake. They were given to me because I was who I am." He looked at Charlie again, his gaze smoldering. "Just how you feel about your child."

11/29/2009 #1,905
SnowClaw of Windclan

"I don't care!," Charlie snarled, his eyes burning, "I don't care! I just want to leave!"

11/29/2009 #1,906
Uldaren Bardaniel

John held his gaze. "Then leave," he stated coldly.

He waited, half expecting Charlie to react, to put him on report, something. Despite their age difference, the lieutenant had a much higher rank than John and the advantage of a different skin color as well. John knew he should have kept his mouth shut, but he couldn't just stay silent.

11/29/2009 . Edited 4/2/2010 #1,907
SnowClaw of Windclan

Charlie felt hot anger burn inside of him. Who the hell was John to tell him what to do? He narrowed his eyes and abruptly stalked off, heading back towards his tent.

11/29/2009 #1,908
Uldaren Bardaniel

John watched him go wordlessly. Pulling his shirt back on, he smothered the campfire and moved into his own tent for the night.

11/29/2009 #1,909
SnowClaw of Windclan

The Next Morning

Moze groaned, waking up to a splitting headache and a cottony mouth. Putting a hand on the side of his head, he slowly got dressed, the slightest sounds painful to him as he did so. Coffee would help. He nodded in greeting to Buford, looked at the ground, embarrassed. "I usually don't drink, sir.", he explained quietly.

Charlie sat up, his eyes damp. Could nothing go right in this damn world?

11/29/2009 #1,910
Uldaren Bardaniel

Next Morning

The bugle sounded, waking the soldiers. John sat up in his tent, pulling on his uniform and stepping outside. Kneeling next to the ashes of his fire from the night before, he set about stoking it up again.

11/29/2009 #1,911
Star the Foxhound

Buford looked up at Moze and gave a small nod, putting a hand on the man's shoulder even though he didn't say anything.

------

Raven came bounding across the camp, almost tripped over his front feet in his hurry as Neil came running after him. It was a game to him, being able to outrun the soldier as he turned to looked at him, panting as his tail wagged. When Neil came closer, he bounded away again.

11/29/2009 #1,912
Uldaren Bardaniel

John finally got a small blaze going. Carefully, he added a few more twigs to keep it lit. He looked up, seeing Chamberlain nearby. "Mornin', Colonel," he nodded, saluting.

11/29/2009 #1,913
SnowClaw of Windclan

Moze nodded quietly. Despite the pain of the hangover he spoke up. "Sir, is there anything you want me to do for you?", he asked softly.

11/29/2009 #1,914
Star the Foxhound

Chamberlain looked up at him and returned the salute, shivering slightly even though it was warm outside. "Good morning John."

-----

Shaking his head, Buford lit his pipe. "You should rest a little, we aren't moving out right away this morning."

-----

Raven turned around and raced back towards Neil then, leaping up and putting his front paws on Neil's legs. "Raven!" Neil protested, "You're going to get dirt all over my uniform!"

There were footsteps behind him, followed by the familiar voice of Luther. "Morning you two."

Taking his paws from Neil's legs, Raven bounded over to Luther to greet him.

11/29/2009 #1,915
Uldaren Bardaniel

John nodded. "Yes, sir." He paused slightly, recalling the events of the other night, biting his lip slightly.

11/29/2009 #1,916
SnowClaw of Windclan

Moze cast him a gentle, thankful glance, realizing that Buford did, in fact, not live under a rock and had probably already realized that his aide could hardly process what he was saying. He closed his eyes for a moment, swallowing the coffee and feeling the warmth flood through him.

11/29/2009 #1,917
Star the Foxhound

Also nodding, Chamberlain helped himself to a cup of coffee and sipped at it, not sure what else to say.

------

Buford nodded, watching him in silence as he smoked his pipe.

11/29/2009 #1,918
Uldaren Bardaniel

"Sir," John hesitated. "It's Charlie, sir. He's...changed."

11/29/2009 #1,919
SnowClaw of Windclan

Moze grimaced and put the hand back on the side of his head. The coffee honestly wasn't helping him much. "Sir...do you mind if I go get something from the surgeon?", he asked softly.

11/29/2009 #1,920
« Prev Page 1 .. 54 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 74 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Star the Foxhound Uldaren Bardaniel, NurfHurdur
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member