World Domination
Are your cunning plans falling a bit flat? Do you feel like you're trying to do the same thing you always do everyday? Well look no further! You've reached World Domination, the procrastinators' paradise!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 Next »
Duckies

Comment on published books and FP works here. Discuss whether you liked it or not, and why. Request stories. Kind of like the OT, but based around books and stories. All opinions will be welcomed and respected :)

5/16/2009 . Edited 5/16/2009 #1
Duckies

Hrmm.. what to write? o_O

Favourite books and/or authors (Not in chronological order and to be constantly updated)

- Anything Shakespeare

- Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austen)

- Harry Potter series (J.K Rowling)

- Georgia Nicholson series (Louise Rennison)

- To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Lee)

- Wuthering Heights (Emily Bronte)

- Lord Loss series (Darren Shan)

- The Secret Garden, A Little Princess (Frances Hodgson Burnett)

- Song of the Lioness quartet, The Immortals quartet, Protector of the Small quartet, Beka Cooper series, Trickster series (Tamora Pierce - these are all set in or around the realm of Tortall)

- Circle of Magic quartet, The Circle Opens quartet, The Will of the Empress, Melting Stones (Tamora Pierce - these are all set in or around the realm of Emelan)

I have to say, Tamora Pierce is quite possibly my favourite author of all time. There are a few of her newer books that I haven't read yet, and another I know is coming out next yer for sure - makes me so happy! :D

5/18/2009 . Edited 6/13/2009 #2
XxNoImaginationxX

Okay, Im not sure if anyone actually goes on here but I figure I can try anyways. I saw a book called My Sister's Keeper (Jodi Picoult) the other day and it looked really good but Im not surre whether or not to uy it cause sometimes these things can be deceiving so I wants to know if anyone has read and what they thinks?

5/23/2009 #3
Fractured Illusion

@my sister's keeper

Haven't read it, but you can look here:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10917.My_Sister_s_Keeper

It got 4.01 out of 5 from the userratings. Try to read some non-spoiler reviews to see what was good and what was bad.

5/23/2009 #4
XxNoImaginationxX

Thanks Frac

well, it seems that people hate it, a lot of the reviews described my initial thoughts on her writing

5/23/2009 #5
Duckies

Hmm, never read it before - did you end up trying it out?

What was that book you said was pretty good awhile back?

It had something to do with a tree, and for the life of me I can't remember the title!

5/23/2009 #6
XxNoImaginationxX

Which one!? I have read that many books... give me more details

5/23/2009 #7
Duckies

I can't remember, all that comes to mind is tree.

I think we were in flexi when we were trying to remember it, in yr 8 I think..

It had three words..and the cover had a tree on it..or something..

*headesk*

5/23/2009 #8
XxNoImaginationxX

I remember that now! I was trying to remember what it was called cause it was really bugging me

And I Just Remembered!!

The Magic Faraway Tree, Enid Blyton

5/23/2009 #9
Duckies

Ah, four words :P

Thankee! It's been bugging me for awhile now

5/24/2009 #10
clandestinedownpour

nooooo struggling topic. i will rescue you from the depths of ignoration. *cue dramatic theme music*

has anyone else read chuck palahniuk?

6/6/2009 #11
Duckies

Nope - apparently it's really good though..

Opinions on Fight Club?

6/7/2009 #12
XxNoImaginationxX

I saw the cover to the book the other day, wasn't as great as you would expect from something as popular. Dont Judge A Book By It's Cover! ... but I do

6/7/2009 #13
clandestinedownpour

although it's an awesome book, it's not his best work.

i recommend you read invisible monsters or choke first.

6/7/2009 #14
Duckies

Ooh, choke sounds cool

I have fight club sitting on my bookshelf, just waiting to be read. I might go out and borrow one of the other two you mentioned though, they sound interesting.

6/7/2009 #15
XxNoImaginationxX

hmm, I like the sound of invisible monsters

6/7/2009 . Edited 6/7/2009 #16
Duckies

Which do you like better, Ginger? both in the sense of the title and the story, if you've read it.

6/7/2009 #17
XxNoImaginationxX

or we could just get one each and swap?

6/7/2009 #18
clandestinedownpour

invisible monsters is much more thought-provoking. choke is more entertaining.

6/7/2009 #19
Duckies

Hmm, interesting - good idea lola, we should go shopping one of these days and buy a book each..

Okay. Here it comes. Opinions on Twilight?

6/11/2009 #20
XxNoImaginationxX

We should

ok, next topic

Books that suck:

Little Lady Agency, Anastacia, to be continued later

6/11/2009 #21
Duckies

Hmm, can't think of any atm, but I'll make a list thing anyways.

Note: if you're adding to a list, please put at the top of it, in bold, what the list is regarding, and if you want to add to it later on, go back and edit it (unless its too far back, in which case just label your post) For an example, see the first post on this page (not the intro post) I made a list (favourite books/authors), labelled it, and edited it when i remembered something else.

Lola has been doing this already, but just in case someone else joins in :)

Please remind me to add that to the rules for this thread, I'm a bit tired at the mo'.

6/13/2009 #22
Duckies

Books that suck:

I honestly can't think of any atm, I love all the books I read, and I forget them if they suck xD

Maybe I'll think of something later on - will edit if any come to mind :D

6/13/2009 #23
Kirrithian

Twilight: You can currently divide most of the reading world into those that like and those that don't like twilight.

I personally after hearing the feedback that it's got have avoided the books, film and any fanfiction stemming from it. But I am wondering if it worth reading the first book to see what all the hype is about, or not.

6/16/2009 #24
Duckies

@ Twilight

I loved the books at first (hence the poem dedicated to it xD) - I got really drawn into the characters and such, but then I guess all the teeny bopper hype about it kind of killed my interest.

Keep in mind they're very romancy - I think these books are good if you want to read something that takes you into a world that is very modern-day-fairytale and rich-vampire-prince-dream-come-true-esque.

I found that I liked it at the time and then kind of got over it - it's worth a shot to read anyway, just so you know what all the interest is about - there are some intriguing events and new concepts to say the least. You are right though, it's pretty much an either love it or hate it kind of situation.

Anyways, good luck with whatever path you choose to take - I'm on the fence about twilight right now; I used to like it, but I don't love it anymore..if that makes any sense whatsoever :D

EDIT: Try reading 'The Host' too - I think I liked that better than Twilight.

6/17/2009 . Edited 6/17/2009 #25
Duckies

Random: Has anyone here read 'Les Miserables?' If you have, or know anyone who has, please tell me your/their opinions on it - I'm thinking of maybe buying it. And also this book (translated) called Don Quixote I'm really interested in buying that - opinions?

Lola, how are you liking the first 'Song of the Lioness' book (tamora pierce, in case anyone is interested) I gave you? People - read these books! they totally rock! :D

6/19/2009 #26
XxNoImaginationxX

Well... Ive heard the soundtrack and its not bad

Im liking the book, its good from what Ive read

6/20/2009 #27
Duckies

Coolies :)

Yeah, I especially love the song 'on my own' - it's so pretty

6/22/2009 #28
Glass Queen

Ah, Twilight. And yes I actually do underline book titles. *thinks AP English teacher will materialize and start beating her with a thesaurus if she doesn't* But anyway, the book, in my opinion, was one of the worst pieces of literature i have ever set fingers on. If anyone wants to hear a probably one thousand word rant on that, i'd be more than pleased to rant and rage about it somewhere around here..... :D ......Basically i think the plot is FAIL, the character development is FAIL, the setting is CLICHE, and it might as well be renamed "Mary and Gary Sue and the Happily Ever After." And i can back all of that up. Honestly, the only reason why that series was such a hit, is because the high and mighty Edward Cullen was, dare i say it, a sexy beast. And that created the snowball effect, with the tween girls squealing, the highschool girls drooling, and the equally as horribly done films. My class even did a fundraiser (which, in their defenese, was a good idea) where they sold tickets to the premiere of the movie. And it was a hit. Which proves America's facination hot vampires/and-or other attractive humaniods. The day of the movie, my anti-Meyer friends and I all worse "Vampires Don't Sparkle" shirts. We nearly got beat up by crazed cullen fans.... xD

7/8/2009 #29
XxNoImaginationxX

uh, new person, just a hint, although i do agree with you in a way. do not speak of that book in the presence of myself or Coke. we are very much over the hype. the whole thing is totally over rated thanks to the female population of necrophiliacs. and speaking of it will generally lead to a rant from her which i would prefer to avoid if possible. i will no doubt have to deal with her rants next week i would prefer to stay away from them for as long as possible. also, i believe Coke still does have a soft spot for the book, no matter how small. ta :D

thanks for your opinion though! always respected

7/8/2009 #30
Page 1 2 Next »
Forum Moderators: Duckies
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member