With Rhyme and Reason
For those of us yearning to see the likes of Tennyson and Swinburne again. Open for discussion of poetry and anything remotely related.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Kelpylion
-Does anyone else have trouble achieving stanza breaks on Fictionpress?

-Why do stanzas matter so much, anyway?

-Is this an appropriate topic for this board, or am I simply becoming Ficcy's first poetry board pest?

10/19/2006 #1
Bitter Irony
Of course, it's an appropriate topic for this board. :-)

As far as achieving stanza breaks on FP, it's almost impossible. You cannot simply hit the enter key a few times, and the html codes for empty lines don't seem to work for me, either. I suggest putting a line of dashes (------------) or a few astericks (* * *) in between stanzas.

Stanzas aren't important to all poems. They have two main functions: either to separate trains of thought (in stream of conciousness) or, if one is using a rhyme scheme, to show where the scheme ends and starts to repeat itself.

Edgar Allen Poe's "The Bells" has the frist type of stanza break: Oscar Wilde's "Ballad of Reading Gaol" has the other type, as does Tennyson's "Mariana in the South". An example of a poem without stanza breaks (and a poem I find difficult to read, for this very reason) is Algernon Charles Swinburne's "Hymn to Proserpine".

~Bitter Irony

10/19/2006 #2
No Trust
When you type the poem in msWord, hit shift+enter to start a new line. This will create lines that are grouped into a stanza when uploaded to FP.com (i.e. they are not spaced apart as if they are separate paragraphs/stanzas). Hit it twice (or just hit enter normally, without shift, once) to start a new stanza.

This also works for normal fiction/essays if you have use for such formatting.

10/20/2006 #3
Kelpylion
Thanks! I use OpenOffice in Linux rather than word, but it's a very close clone, so that should probably work. The dash scheme never worked; it just didn't have the same effect. See y'all in the electronic future!

~Kelpy

10/22/2006 #4
Midnight In Eden
i can get stanza breaks easy.

when you load a document up to fictionpress, go to quickedit, get rid of all breaks and then enter where you want your stanza breaks to be.

11/1/2006 #5
darkstar-rising
I despise the HTML encoding of documents that this site uses. I also hated the default Times New Roman font. In fact, I hated it to the extent that it inspired an haiku. Getting the appropriate stanza breaks I achieve by entering a discreet hyphen between stanzas to indicate that it should be double spaced. When I type them in word or notepad, or write them on paper, they are double spaced.
11/24/2006 #6
Forum Moderators: Bitter Irony
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member