The Lounge
So why are you still standing there staring? Come IN for heavens sakes!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 Next »
Fleur-de-lis Evans

Welcome newbies and oldies alike! Here is where you recommend specific books. The following information is required. These are books that are either for fun, education, or just something to sink your teeth in and devour.

TITLE:

AUHTOR:

PUBLISHER & YEAR:

CRITIQUES RATING:

YOUR RATING:

* NOTE: BOOK RATINGS ARE TYPICALLY OUT OF 4 (DON'T KNOW WHY) STARS, SO FOR YOUR RATING PLEASE USE THE SCALE OF 1-4 TO KEEP THINGS CONSISTENT. AND DON'T BE AFRAID TO BE HONEST. IF YOU RECOMMEND A BOOK THAT IS A 3 CHANCES ARE THAT SOMEONE ELSE WILL BIND IT A 4.

*MINI-BLURB AND/OR ENGAGING QUOTE:

WHY THE BOOK/SERIES IS WORTHWHILE:

*This last section is to gain interest for others. And if enough people show interest we might start a loose book club, who know. ;-)

9/28/2009 . Edited 10/5/2009 #1
Fleur-de-lis Evans

TITLE: Will The Vampire People Please Leave the Lobby? True Adventure in Cult Fandom

AUTHOR: Allyson Beatrice

PUBLISHER & YEAR: Sourcebooks, Inc. 2007

CRITICS RATING: 4 Stars/4 " ... This book is a look at how fandom - specifically online Buffy/Angel fandom - changed one woman's life. I haven't been deeply involved in a fandom since I was in high school, but I was deeply involved for several years and it has effected my life in some ways similarly to Allyson's - the threads of that involvement linger in old friendships and in-jokes and fond memories. It was fun to read about a fandom that was as close and intense as the one I was involved in, but because it was filled with adults rather than teens, the members could do things like travel across the country (or in some cases, across the globe) to gather and meet, contact the actors and other people involved in the shows and actually have them respond and occasionally get involved, and so on. Overall it was a very enjoyable book, often laugh-out-loud funny and at times poignant (the story near the end about everyone donating money to bring their friend from Israel to the US for two weeks almost brought me to tears). It was a fairly easy read, too, especially for non-fiction, written in a conversational tone, perhaps similar to blog or forum posts."

YOUR RATING: 4 Stars/4

MINI-BLURB/OR ENGAGING QUOTE: "Those stranger living in the electric walls of my beat up *Macintosh Performa were like a whit-collar platoon. My band of **brothers pulling me through the shit," (Beatrice, 4)

"I can't quite wrap the gray matter around what I'd do if I couldn't turn on my new i*Mac and find someone to answer me when I call ut in the dark. Screw God, all those times when there were three thousand pairs of footprints in the sand, that's when fandom was carrying me. Or walking with me. Ocassionally tossing me into the surf," (13-14)

*Can be changed to "Red Dell" or "HP" depending on what computer you own

*PFor me it's "sister"

WHY THE BOOK/SERIES IS WORTHWHILE:

This is an innovative look at how fandom and the internet can positively change the lives of not just the writer, Allyson, but the other posters she meets. I relate to it on a deep experience level. It's beneficial to read. I relate so much to it that several chapters brought me to tears, but the happy kind of tears.

9/28/2009 #2
Raingypsy

TITLE: The Innocent

AUTHOR: Harlan Coben

PUBLISHER AND YEAR: Orian Books, 2005

CRITICS RATING: Unsure. But here are some of the comments written by critics;

"An electrifying thrill ride of a novel that peeks behind the white picket fences of surburbia. The Innocent is at once a twisting, turning, emotionally charged story, and a compelling tale of the choices people make and the repercussions that remain."Deadly Pleasures.

"Coben is fast becoming one of America's top thrill writers. This is his best book yet." Daily Mirror.

YOUR RATING: 4/4

MINI BLURB: One slip was all it took to rob Matt Hunter of the life he had so well mapped out. A fight, a friend in trouble and the dull crack of someone's skull on the concrete cost him four years of his life and a sliver of his soul. Emerging an old and wiser person, he finds a job to be proud of and a beautiful girl agrees to marry him. But now someone is following him, threatening everything he has worked so hard for. And Matt can't trust anyone-least of all, those he loves.

WHY THE BOOK IS WORTHWHILE: This book is amazing. The characters are well developed, it's written quite well and the numerous twists and turns always keep the reader guessing. Things are never whatthey seem in this book and the author has a great talent for creating suspense.

NOTE** - This book does contain alot of adult themes so I wouldn't recomend it for anyone under 18. It contains swearing, drug use, violence etc.

But, if you're looking for an excellent read, I'd pick this book up.

9/28/2009 . Edited by Fleur-de-lis Evans, 10/5/2009 #3
ranDUMM

Title: Stargirl

Author: Jerry Spinelli

Publisher and Year: Knopf, 2000

Critic's Rating: Couldn't find it, but these are the awards it has received: It was a New York Times Bestseller, a Parents Choice Gold Award Winner, and a Publishers Weekly Best Book of the Year.

Your Rating: 4/4

Mini Blurb: The first day Leo Borlock sees Stargirl he is filled with disbelief. She's the new girl who showed up to her first day in an antique, off-white gown that could have been a wedding dress. Then at lunch time she did the unthinkable, she took her ukulele off her back and sang "I'm looking for a four leaf clover." You just don't do things like that if you want to fit in. Things continue like this, getting more outrageous as the book continues, until the students rebel and the shunning begins. Leo and Stargirl try to go about their lives, and pretend that the others don't matter. But life is difficult enough when you're in high school and ten times worse if you don't "fit in". Desperately in love, Leo tries to change Stargirl to be more "normal", but in the end manages to destroy the very thing that made her special to begin with.

Why the book is worthwhile: I know this is a stupid thing to put in a book recommendation, but I have no clue. It's just one of those books that you love :P I'd have to add that it is more for the female society than for males, but if you wanna read it, go ahead :P It's brilliant. A really light read, no complicated notions, just an eccentric girl trying to fit in. It really throws into perception what we find fake and real. About how we always try to "fit in" but we were perfect just being ourselves :) It's my fave book, so yeaahp :)

9/29/2009 . Edited by Fleur-de-lis Evans, 10/5/2009 #4
Mandisaurus-rex

TITLE: The Host

AUHTOR: Stephenie Meyer

PUBLISHER & YEAR: Little Brown, 2008

CRITIQUES RATING: Couldn't find it... sorry

*MINI-BLURB AND/OR ENGAGING QUOTE: Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. Our world has been invaded by an unseen enemy. Humans become hosts for these invaders, their minds taken over while their bodies remain intact and continue their lives apparently unchanged. Most of humanity has succumbed. When Melanie, one of the few remaining "wild" humans is captured, she is certain it is her end. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, was warned about the challenges of living inside a human: the overwhelming emotions, the glut of senses, the too vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind. Wanderer probes Melanie's thoughts, hoping to discover the whereabouts of the remaining human resistance. Instead, Melanie fills Wanderer's mind with visions of the man Melanie loves—Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer begins to yearn for a man she has been tasked with exposing. When outside forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off on a dangerous and uncertain search for the man they both love.

WHY THE BOOK/SERIES IS WORTHWHILE: Because it's so much better than the Twilight series! I know people get caught up in the fact that Stephenie Meyer wrote it, but like seriously authors are capable of writing more than one series , yah know! They also get caught up in the fact that it's 'sci-fi' but it's SOO NOT! Like, it's about friendship, and devotion to your partner, and roughing it out in hard times, and love, and endurance, and it's amazing! Yes, granted the first couple of chapters is dry, but that's like any book =). And plus, Ian is my favorite guy character ever written. You'll love him, trust me =).

10/2/2009 . Edited by Fleur-de-lis Evans, 10/5/2009 #5
Raingypsy

TITLE: Jessica

Author: Bryce Courtenay

Publisher and Year: Penguin Books, 1998

Critiques Rating: "A striking and moving story" The Age.

Your Rating: 4/4 It's brilliant.

Mini Blurb: Jessica is based on the inspiring true story of a young girl's fight for justice against tremendous odds. A tomboy, Jessica is the pride of her father, as they work together on their struggling family farm. One quiet day, the peace of the town is devastated by a terrible murder. Only Jessica is able to save the killer from the lynch mob - but will justice prevail in the courts? Nine months later, a baby is born.....With Jessica determined to safeguard the secret of the fathers identity. The rivalry of Jessica and her beautiful sister for the love of the same man will echo throughout their lives - until finally the truth must be told.

Why the book is worthwhile: Well, where to begin? It's just an excellent book. It's essentially 3 books in one so it's pretty long. It's so sad in parts, uplifting in others and it just portrays human characteristics so well, from absolute evil to absolute purity. It shows how Australia was like during WW1, from the stolen generation to the mental institutions. Be warned - I cried like a baby. It was so sad! Especially the ending.

10/3/2009 . Edited by Fleur-de-lis Evans, 10/5/2009 #6
ranDUMM

Title: Belonging

Author: Sameem Ali

Publisher and Year: John Murray Publishers Ltd, 2008

Critic's Rating: 'The very real threat of an honour killing. Misery rating 4 stars'

Your Rating: 5/5

Mini Blurb: Abandoned by her parents, Sameem Ali spent six and a half years growing up in a children's home. When she was told that her family wanted to take her back she couldn't wait to start her new life with them. Instead, she returned to a dirty house where she was subjected to endless chores. Her mother began to beat her and her unhappiness drove her to self-harm. So Sameem was excited when she boarded a plane with her mother to visit Pakistan for the first time. It was only after they arrived in her family's village that she realised she wasn't there on holiday. Aged just thirteen, Sameem was forced to marry a complete stranger. When pregnant, two months later, she was made to return to Glasgow where she suffered further abuse from her family. After finding true love, Sameem fled the violence at home and escaped to Manchester with her young son. She believed she had put her horrific experiences behind her, but was unprepared for the consequences of violating her family's honour ...Belonging is the shocking true story of Sameem's struggle to break free from her past and fight back against her upbringing.

Why The Book Is Worthwhile: It's worthwhile because while it is an entertaining read [you just can't put the book down, it's sooo sad], it also opens our eyes to our world. We may not live in a place where this happens often, but it so obviously happens everyday in places like India, Nepal and Pakistan. It really makes us more aware of our surroundings. And also, it's just soooooooo sad. I almost cried, and it really takes you on a tale. You won't be able to put the book down, I guarantee it. :)

10/8/2009 #7
XxFirexIcexX

TITLE: Thr3e

Author: Ted Dekker

Publisher and Year: WestBow Press, 2003

Critiques Rating: Couldn't really find one but this is what it says on the front: "Dekker is a master of suspense" - Library Journal

Your Rating: 10/10 It's awesome.

Mini Blurb: Kevin Parson is driving his car one summer day when, suddenly, his cell phone rings. A man who identifies himself as Slater speaks in a breathy voice, You have exactly 3 minutes to confess your sin to the world. Refuse, and the car you're driving blows sky high.

Kevin panics. Who would make such a call? What sin? Kevin ditches the car. Preciesly 3 minutes later, a massive explosion sets the world on a collision course with madness...

Why the book is worthwhile: It's just an excellent book. The plot is brilliant and you could never guess the ending! You just can't put the book down!

10/8/2009 #8
Raingypsy

Title: Tomorow when the war began

Author: John Marsden

Publisher and Year: Pan Macmillan Australia, 1993

Critiques Rating: "A story to be read at full pelt-I could not put it down" - Australian Bookseller

Your Rating: 22220000000/10

Mini Blurb: Ellie and her friends leave home one quiet morning, wavy goodbye to their parents and head up into the hills to camp for a while; seven teenagers filling in time during the school holidays. Their world is about to change forever. Their lives will never be the same again. Would you fight? Would you give up everything? Would you sacrifice life itself?

Why the book is worthwhile: 'Tomorow, when the war began' is the first book in a series of seven. They follow the lives of seven teenagers who after coming back from a camping trip find that Australia has been invaded. It's in the perspective of Ellie and she writes about everything they face. The books are just excellent. The plot is incredible and it's funny in some parts, tear-jerking in others. They literally changed the way I thought and really made me think. Well worth the read.

EDIT: Oh my goodness, Oh my goodness. They are making the series into movies!!!!!!!!! How exciting. Lincoln Lewis is playing the part of Kevin which should be....interesting.

10/9/2009 . Edited 10/10/2009 #9
ranDUMM

Title: Inheritance Cycle [Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr, _______ [unnamed, unfinished]]

Author: Christopher Paolini

Publisher and Year: Knopf Publishers, 2003

Critique's Rating: The books have been criticized for their derivative nature. The two most commonly discussed sources are Star Wars (due to numerous similarities in the plots[7]) and The Lord of the Rings (due to the setting, elven[8][9] and dwarven races,[8] the language[8] and character and place names). [copy pasted from Wikipedia] However:

Favorable reviews of Eragon often focused on the book's strong characters and tight plot. IGN's Matt Casamassina called the book "entertaining", and added that "Paolini demonstrates that he understands how to hold the reader's eyes and this is what ultimately separates Eragon from countless other me-too fantasy novels."[10] Chris Lawrence of About.com thought the book had all the "traditional ingredients" that make a fantasy novel "enjoyable". The book was a "fun read" for him because it is "quick and exciting" and "packed" with action and magic. Lawrence concluded his review by giving the book a rating of 3.8/5, commenting that "the characters are interesting, the plot is engrossing, and you know the good guy will win in the end." [also copy and pasting from Wkipedia]

Your rating: 8.5/10

Mini Blurb: Set in the fictional world of Alagaësia (pronounced /æləˈɡeɪziə/), the novels focus on a teenage boy named Eragon and his dragon Saphira as he becomes one of the few remaining Dragon Riders, a legendary group who governed the land in times past but were almost destroyed by a Rider named Galbatorix and the Forsworn, a group of thirteen Riders who betrayed their fellow Riders by swearing fealty to Galbatorix. After the Fall, when most of the Riders were slain, Galbatorix claimed the throne of Alagaësia. The tyrant king's greatest fear is that a new Rider will rise up and usurp his position as king of the Empire. Through the efforts of the rebel group, the Varden, and their leader/founder, Brom (in collusion with Jeod and Hefring) a dragon egg is stolen from Galbatorix, and by a whim of fate, is thrust upon a young farmboy in Palancar Valley named Eragon. As Galbatorix attempts to capture Eragon and his dragon, Eragon begins a journey into the past and the future of Alagaësia.

Why The Book Is Worthwhile: I'm not going to lie and say it's the best book I've read or anything. It's GOOD but not the best. It's worthwhile tor ead because it is entertaining. It has some serious plot elements in it, but not enough to make it a serious read. It is mostly very light hearted, and very, VERY long, so the entertaining read lasts forever and ever and ever :)

10/12/2009 #10
Altevriel

TITLE: Vampire Hunter D

AUHTOR: Hideyuki Kikuchi

PUBLISHER & YEAR: Asahi Sonorama, published in 1983

CRITIQUES RATING: Have no idea

YOUR RATING: I'd give it a 3 out of 4

MINI-BLURB: It's set on Earth in the year 12,090 AD and humanity is slowly breaking the control that vampires(Nobility) had over them for centuries. Some nobility hide now and their genetically engineered monsters and other demons roam the planet. All seventeen stories revolve around a half-vampire man named D and a parasite in his hand that takes the form of a human face in his palm, and D takes on jobs that put him against the remaining nobility.

WHY THE BOOK/SERIES IS WORTHWHILE: It's a good mix of sci-fi, fantasy, and supernatural all together while still having it's own style. Also, if anyone's heard of HP Lovecraft, there's a small bit of that in there too.

10/13/2009 . Edited 10/13/2009 #11
Swashbuckling-Panache

Is it OK if I reccommend a play instead of a book? It's just I had to read it for my English class and loved it.

Title: An Inspector Calls

Author: J.B.Priestly

Publisher and Year: Heineman Plays (couldn't find the year)

Critiques Rating: Couldn't find, sorry

Your Rating: 4/4 stars.

Mini Blurb or Engaging Quote: Arthur Birling is holding a family dinner to celebrate his daughter's engagement when into this cosy scene intrudes a harsh ploice inspector investigating the suicide of a young working class girl. Under the pressure of the investigation every family member turns out to have a shameful secret which links them with her death...

Why the book (or in this case play) is worthwhile: Because it is awesome. Seriously though, it raises deep questions on morals and reflects the society of the time. Very interesting read, engaging and mysterious.

10/16/2009 #12
ranDUMM

(everyone's probably read this)

Title: Chinese Cinderella

Author: Adeline Yen Mah

Publisher and Year: Delacourte Press, 1999

Critique's Rating: [average] 3.5/4

My Rating: 4/4

Mini Blurb or Engaging Quote: Chinese Cinderella is the story of an unwanted daughter named Adeline Yen Mah. She has lots of potential but this is unrecognized by most of her family. Her stepmother Niang always puts her down and abuses her because she is a bitch. Her whole family (except Aunt Baba and her grandfather Ye-Ye) blames her for her mother's death because she died shortly after giving birth to Adeline. Her family ignores her and abuses her physically and mentally. She is battered down several times but Adeline fought back and never gave up. She never tells anyone at school that she is an unloved child. Eventually Niang and her father send her to a boarding school in Tianjin. She becomes very lonely, but one day her Niang's sister comes and rescues her and takes her back to her family in Hong Kong. Here she is sent to another boarding school, this time with more pupils, but she is teased at this school and becomes sad because no one comes to visit her. After winning a writing contest, her father allows her to go to a university in England with her older brother and study medicine.

Why the book is worthwhile: The book has loads of moral values; it's a really good book :)

11/16/2009 #13
WildmanWalker

Title: A View from the Year 3000

Author: Michael H. Hart (under the pseudonym "Arturo Kukeni")

Publisher & Year: Poseidon Press, 1999

Mini-Blurb (taken from Amazon.com): Back in the 1970s, scholar Michael H. Hart wrote a book of the top 100 most influential people of all time. Now, in a theoretical future, writing as his descendent Arturo Kukeni, he does it again. This book speculates about the important inventions, scientific discoveries, and political and social developments which may occur during the years 2000-3000. It does this by presenting a list of 100 men and women who have had the greatest impact on world history and people's everyday lives. The 100 people are ranked in order of their influence: #1 being the most influential, all the way down to #100. The book consists of short biographies of those 100 people, describing what each person accomplished, and why that person is so important. 45 entries are actual historical people. These include such well known figures as Jesus, Confucius, Charles Darwin, Christopher Columbus, Albert Einstein, Genghis Khan, and George Washington. Among the 55 entries from the 3rd millennium are: Sue Ellen Green (who develops a cancer vaccine); Miguel Carranza (chief founder of the United World Federation); Stella Ricardo Garcia (architect and formscaper); Mika Kivikowski (who develops the technology to control the weather); and Shu Gungwu (who finds the solution to the baffling "mind-body problem"). Other topics treated include: space travel and space colonies; medical advances (such as artificial organs and reversible sex-change operations); arts and entertainment (including music, literature, the visual arts, and sports & games); solar power; philosophy; mathematics, pollution control; brainwashing; nuclear warfare; robots; and artificial intelligence.

Why the book is worthwhile: I had to read this book for my college history class, and it's pretty good--very thought-provoking. It makes you wonder where the world will be a thousand years from now. If you're a history or science fiction buff, I recommend giving this book a read.

11/18/2009 #14
ranDUMM

Title: A Thousand Splendid Suns

Author: Khaled Hosseini

Publisher and Year: Riverhead Books, May 22nd 2007

Mini Blurb: A Thousand Splendid Suns is a breathtaking story set against the volatile events of Afghanistan’s last thirty years—from the Soviet invasion to the reign of the Taliban to the post-Taliban rebuilding—that puts the violence, fear, hope, and faith of this country in intimate, human terms. It is a tale of two generations of characters brought jarringly together by the tragic sweep of war, where personal lives—the struggle to survive, raise a family, find happiness—are inextricable from the history playing out around them.

Why the book is worthwhile: Because we get a glimpse into a life that isn't ours, and it teaches us to be happy for what we have. It's so sad and heartthrobbing :(

12/16/2009 #15
Swashbuckling-Panache

Title: The Book Thief

Author: Markus Zusak

Publisher and Year: Doubleday, 2007

Mini Blurb: (this blurb was taken directly from the back cover)

1939. Nazi Germany. The country is holding its breath. Death has never been busier.

Liesel, a nine-year-old girl, is living with a foster family on Himmel Street. Her parents have been taken off to a concentration camp. Liesel steals books. This is her story and the story of the inhabitants of the street when the bombs begin to fall.

Why the book is worthwhile: This story is completely unique. Honestly, I've never read a book like it. It is narrated by Death himself which is amazing in it's own right. I adored all of the characters, the plot was phenomenal and the way the author wrote the twisting tale with such control amazed me. Okay, I've probably rambled on for too long, but it's an unmissable book.

12/17/2009 #16
David Bowie

Title: Fallen

Author: Lauren Kate

Publisher and Year: Doubleday, 2009

My Rating: 9.5/10

Mini Blurb: Some angels are destined to fall.. Instant. Intense. Weirdly familiar... The moment Luce looks at Daniel she knows she has never felt like this before. Except she can't shake the feeling that she has... and with him - a boy she doesn't remember ever setting eyes on. Will her attempt to find out why enlighten her - or destroy her?

Why the book is worthwhile: This story, this plot line, the place where the story is set, hasn't been done before. I don't think. It's not a story about vapmires, or werewolves, or faeries or any of the other fantasy things that have been done before. At least, I don't think so. The author, Lauren Kate, is an amazing writer. She writes with such passion and the plot line she has created, is definitely a unique and surprising one. I've read a lot books about vampires and forbidden love, and this is definitely one of the best. Daniel Grigori could kick Edward Cullen's ass any day and I would pay good money to watch! This book is the first of a series, and the next one doesn't come out until September next year, much to my disappointment. But anyone who loves a good plot twist + mystery + forbidden love ;) + a little fantasy should not miss this book. It's one of the best I've read in a while. :)

12/20/2009 #17
Raingypsy

Title: All on a Summers Day

Author: Judy Gardiner

Publisher and Year: Riverside Publishing, 1988

My Rating: 3/4

Mini Blurb: Lonely Miranda Whittaker finds a friend in Natalie Ellenberg, daughter of an affectionate cultured Jewish family. But as the tide of anti-Semitism sweeps into the 1930's Liverpool, the two girls witness the death of Nat's baby sister during a fascist march. Natalie, studying music in Paris, disappears after the Nazi's invade Paris. Miranda, still haunted by the baby'stragic death, joins the red cross. As the Allies move through France and Germany she witnesses the horrors of the concentration camps. Will she ever discover what really happened to Natalie?

Why the book is worthwhile: It's not the greatest book ever written but it's a really good read. It follows the girls lives through childhood and how coming from different races puts a strain on a relationship. I really love it!

12/21/2009 . Edited 12/21/2009 #18
ranDUMM

Title: Inkworld Trilogy (Inkheart, Inkspell, Inkdeath)

Author: Cornelia Funke

Publisher and Year:

(in Germany) Cecilie Dressler Verlag

(in UK) Chicken House Publishing

(in US) Scholastic Corporation.

Inkheart: 2004

Inkspell: 2006

Inkdeath: 2008

Mini Blurb:

Inkheart: In Inkheart, the twelve-year-old ,Meggie, discovers that her father Mortimer, a professional bookbinder, has the unusual ability to transfer characters from books into the real world when he reads aloud. Scared by his own talents, Mo once brought four characters of a book entitled Inkheart to life while reading from the novel, including Dustfinger,his pet marten Gwin; Capricorn, the book's villain; and Basta, Capricorn's right-hand man — in bitter exchange of his wife Teresa, who disappeared tracelessly into the so-called Inkworld of the book. After many years Dustfinger returns to pay Meggie and her father a visit, advising them to flee the country to escape Capricorn and his following who are in search of Mo and his Inkheart copy. The three of them eventually leave to hide at Meggie's great-aunt Elinor's house in Northern Italy but end up being dragged off by Basta and his companions to the near village of Capricorn where Mo is forced to read both treasure and an evil creature, The Shadow, out of the book, using Meggie as his hostage. Soon Meggie discovers she has the same talent as her father, and with the help of Inkheart author Fenoglio, her re-read mother, and One Thousand and One Nights character Farid she helps kill Capricorn and his entourage with the power of her reading talent.

Inkspell: [I HAVEN'T READ IT]

Inkdeath: [I HAVEN'T READ IT]

Why the book is worthwhile: Because it's awesome :D It's fantasy. Pure, fantasy. Maybe some romance, a bit of violence, but 99.9% Fantasy. And it's awesome! It's a light hearted read with some awesome plot points and stuff. :)

12/27/2009 #19
ranDUMM

Title: City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments Trilogy)

Author: Cassandra Clare

Publisher and Year: Margaret K Elderry, US: March 27, 2007 UK: July 2, 2007

Mini Blurb:

The book starts out when the protagonist, Clary Fray, notices a strange blue-haired boy, following a girl into a storage room, then two suspicious-looking boys following the blue-haired boy. She alerts her friend, Simon, who claims that he can't see anyone, and tells him to go and get a guard. She then sneaks into the storage room and hides herself. Just when one of the boys is about to kill the blue-haired boy, she steps in between them. The blue-haired boy, who is a demon, tries to escape, but is killed by one of boys. The dead body of the boy then disappears. Clary then finds out that the boys aren't murderers but demon hunters.

The next night when Clary and her friend Simon go to a coffee bar, she finds the boy from the night before is there. She receives a strange call from her mother. Worried, she heads back to her apartment and is attacked by a demon. She is then found by Jace, the boy from the night club. He takes her to the Institute, where he lives and trains to kill demons.

Clary is introduced to Hodge, the instructor at the Institute, who reveals to her that her mother was once a Shadowhunter. He also tells her that her father was the one who sent the demon, in order to procure the Mortal Cup. The Mortal Cup is the only thing able to make Shadowhunters out of average humans, and Clary's father wants to use it to create an army.

Clary then realizes that she is the only one with the power to retrieve the Mortal Cup, and she has to get it in time to save her mother, and decide the fate of the world.

Why the book is worthwhile: Honestly? No clue. But it is SUCH an entertaining read!! If you start reading it, you can't stop I didn't put the book down until I finished it. It was absolutely brilliant! :D (It is mostly fantasy)

1/30/2010 #20
Shuna

TITLE: The Sandman (consisting 10 graphic novels, or 75 issues)

AUHTOR: Neil Gaiman

PUBLISHER & YEAR: 1989-1996

CRITIQUES RATING: 4/4

*MINI-BLURB AND/OR ENGAGING QUOTE: Sometimes I feel. Shit. I don't know. Hollow.

Mostly when I don't feel what I ought to feel, inside.

I've got a friend dying from Aids. How does that make me feel?

Empty. That's all. Just empty.

WHY THE BOOK/SERIES IS WORTHWHILE: This series gave me better understanding of not only the world, but also of myself. We really get to know the main caracther and his siblings really well, either by following them or through secondary caracthers in the story. There's a reason for everything which happens in the series, and there is little questions left for the readers when you've read it all. The author manage to capture us and keep our attention through the whole time. Gaiman also sees that for those of us who stayed until the end of the series got a very personal relationship with the caracthers, especially Morpheus, which is the main caracther. At the end of the series I felt satisfied, it really served the series justice.

2/2/2010 #21
sealednectar

TITLE:

The Chronicles of Ancient Darkness - Wolf Brother (Book 1), Spirit Walker (Book 2), Soul Eater (Book 3), Outcast (Book 4), Oath Breaker (Book 5) and lastly, Ghost Hunter (Book 6)

AUTHOR: Michelle Paver, AUDIOBOOKS read by GANDALF (.....I mean, Ian McKellen, how cool is that?)

PUBLISHER AND YEAR: Orion, 2005-2009

CRITIQUES' RATING: 4/4

MY RATING: 4/4

MINI BLURB/ENGAGING QUOTE: (Okay, not so mini:) It's the review for the first book Wolf Brother, because I don't want to spoil the rest for you, now do I?

'From extensive research about how the people of Northern Europe may have lived more than six thousand years ago, Michelle Paver has fashioned a remarkable debut novel for children. Wolf Brother, the first instalment of her six-book Chronicles of Ancient Darkness sequence, takes its readers back in time to an atmospheric world of snow, hunter-gatherers, tribes, clans, mountains, forests, bears and unearthly superstitions. For humans then, life was hard and Paver’s narrative taps wonderfully into all the sensations they must have experienced living amidst such an unforgiving landscape.

The book begins dramatically with the death of Torak’s father, the mage, Fa, from mortal wounds inflicted by a giant, possessed bear. Fa’s dying words bind Torak to a quest to find the mythical Mountain of the World Spirit. Only there will Torak find the strength needed to defeat the demonic creature and killer of men.

Having lived apart from other Clans, and burdened by such an impossible task, Torak is bereft by the death of his only companion in life and struggles to survive in the harsh conditions he now finds himself in. Then, instead of killing an orphaned wolf cub for food, Torak spares the tiny animal and together they travel north.

Torak gains a further companion for his arduous journey in the form of Renn, a headstrong and feisty girl of his own age whose Clan Torak inadvertently has an altercation with. Renn believes Torak to be The Listener--a prophesised being who will save the world--and together they escape from danger… into a different sort of peril.

Paver’s novel is strong on detail and the authenticity of her settings is breathtaking. She cleverly weaves a fantastical, but believable, layer onto her narrative that enriches her story and makes it all the more readable.'- John McLay, Amazon.co.uk

WHY THE SERIES IS WORTHWHILE:

Simply for the reason that it was such a fantastic series. I loved the relationship between Wolf and Torak. Beautiful. Also, Renn is a great female lead. Paver writes beautifully, poetically, yet all the concepts are easy to understand. This series is both educational AND fun. Read it and you shall see. I hope I persuaded you. (At least I wasn't as long as the 'mini' blurb. I will now go and check out her latest work- a trilogy called 'Daughters of Eden'.

You can check out Michelle Paver's website at www.michellepaver.com and to meet other readers of the books at the official worldwide fan site www.torak.info

2/3/2010 . Edited 2/4/2010 #22
Ghosts

Title: Fear

Author: L. Ron Hubbard

Publisher and Year: Unknown Publisher, 1940

Critiques Rating: 4/4

My Rating: 3/4

Mini Blurb/Engaging Qoute: University professor James Lowry is a disbeliever in spirits or witches, or demons, so much so that he publishes an article in a newspaper denying the existence of them. He is warned of the possible repercussions by his friend Tommy Williams. That same spring evening his hat disappears. Lowry discovers that four hours of his life have gone missing. Lowry is pursued by an omnipotent evil force that is turning his whole world against him while it whispers a warning from the shadows: "...if you find your hat you'll find your four hours. If you find your four hours then you will die..." Lowry is suspicious that Tommy may be having an affair with his wife, Mary, even in his dreams of demons. The story resolves itself as Lowry discovers that the world itself does not really exist. Dark forces have created it, as his life as a human is a trap and a ruse in order to defeat "Lowry", actually a god-like being.

Why the Book is Worht the While: Remember how the matrix blew your mind because it told how the whole world wasn't even real? This is like that, without keanu reeves and all the science fiction.

3/24/2010 #23
ZyggyGirl

TITLE: All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten

AUHTOR: Robert Fulghum

PUBLISHER & YEAR: Ballantine Books, 1989

CRITIQUES RATING: Unknown

MINI-BLURB/ENGAGING QUOTE: Uncommon thoughts on common things.

WHY THE BOOK/SERIES IS WORTHWHILE: Aside from being entertaining, it has quite a few good points (in my opinion). It gets quite deep at times, but Fulghum's strange outlook usually keeps it light.

4/30/2010 . Edited 7/14/2010 #24
Shuna

TITLE: Laika

AUHTOR: Nick Abadzis

PUBLISHER & YEAR: First Second Books, 2007

CRITIQUES RATING: Abadzis has fashioned a poignant and accurate portrait of the lives Laika touched in the three years leading up to Sputnik II's launch. His characters — including the dog — are as real as the story he's telling: animated with complex personalities, flaws, humor and emotion.

MINI-BLURB: The graphic novel tells the true story of Laika, the first dog which ever traveled into space. The strenght of it is that it's very historically correct. We see her from when she was a puppy and was abused, to her life on the Russian streets after world war II, and her tragic fate in the space. It has several point of views, including the one of the dog.

ENGAGING QUOTE: Good dog.

Don't be afraid.

You can count on me

Don't be afraid.

WHY THE BOOK/SERIES IS WORTHWHILE: It had my attention through the whole novel, and it portrayed a lot of feelings though the drawing technique was rather so so. It had me crying from page 20 or so.

6/10/2010 . Edited 6/10/2010 #25
PoetryQueen

TITLE: Sail

AUHTOR: James Patterson

PUBLISHER & YEAR: Little, Brown and Company 2008

CRITIQUES RATING: 3/5 stars

YOUR RATING: 4/4 stars

MINI-BLURB AND/OR ENGAGING QUOTE: We're all Big Dippers, part of something much bigger than ourselves. At least I hope that's how you come to see yourself

WHY THE BOOK/SERIES IS WORTHWHILE: Action packed! The book NEVER stops being exciting. There are also so many twists that you will NOT expect! One of my favorite books!

6/15/2010 #26
Fleur-de-lis Evans

TITLES:

1) Bloody Jack: Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary 'Jacky' Faber, Ship's Boy

2) Cure of the Blue Tatoo: Being an Account of the Misadventures of Jacky Faber, Midshipman and Fine Lady

3)Under the Jolly Roger: Being an Account of the Further Nautical Adventures of Jacky Faber

4) In The Belly of the Bloodhound: Being an Account of a Particularly Peculiar Adventures in the Life of Jacky Faber

5) Mississippi Jack: Being an Account of the Further Waterborne Adventures of Jacky Faber, Midshipmen, Fine Lady, and Lily of the West

6) My Bonny Light Horseman

7) Rapture of the Deep

8) In Wake of the Lorelei Lee

AUTHOR: L.A. Meyer

PUBLISHER AND YEAR: 2002 - 2010

CRITICS RATING: 5.0/5 Stars

YOUR RATING: 4/4 Stars

MINI-BLURB AND/OR ENGAGING QUOTE: "Rooster Charlie allows as how today he's goin' to see Dr. Graves himself, the bloke what sends Muck around to pick up dead orphans for the di-seck-shun and for the good of science and all, to see if Charlie his ownself can get paid for his body before he goes croakers so's he can have the pleasure of it himself, like. Me and the others laugh and jeer and say, "Charlie, you ain't got the bollocks. He'll prolly open you up right there, without so much as a by-your-leave." But Charlie, he hikes up his pants and gives his vest a pat and off he goes to sell his body. The pat is for his shiv, which he keeps tucked next to his ribs. I've been with Charlie and the gang for four, maybe five, years since That Dark Day when me world was changed forever, but I can't be sure, the seasons run into each other so-we shivers and dies of the cold in the winter and sweats and dies of the pestilence in the summer, so it's all one. It's been close a couple of times, but I ain't dead yet."

WHY THE BOOK/SERIES IS WORTHWHILE: Action, Love, Adventure, Heart-Break, Friendship! Keeps you on your toes and you never have a dull moment. You'll fall in love with Jacky and the many men she meets and enchants along the way.

7/13/2010 #27
Shuna

TITLE: In the Roof The Stars Shines

AUHTOR: Johanna Thydell

PUBLISHER & YEAR: 2003 Bokförlaget Natur och Kultur, Stockholm

CRITIQUES RATING: 4/5 stars

YOUR RATING: 4/5 stars

MINI-BLURB AND/OR ENGAGING QUOTE: From the Book Cover:

Jenna have started seventh grade and she should only worry about is the boobs which never grow, the way too blond girl in the same class who she hates, and how to make Sakke pretty pretty pretty to notice her. But God has not done his work. At home there is customized furniture, a showerstool, wigs and things which doesn't belong there. Because a mother who is dying of cancer lives there.

There are stars which shines in the dark at the roof of jenna's bedroom. Under one she has hidden a poem.

Mum, if you die, then I'll take my own life.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Book Quote

She can die. You must not think like that, Jenna, they always say that. Jenna, Jenna, little one. You must not not think like that. But Jenna lays under the covers in her bed, the room is freezing and outside the window it's dark and she thinks like that.

There is no help in trying not to anymore.

WHY THE BOOK/SERIES IS WORTHWHILE: Though the content is about death, it is also about how it is to be a teenager, everyday drama, acceptance of other people and dealing with loss. It is an easy read, and it is very realistic. The only nitpick I have is that I thought that many of them acted more like they were 14-15 instead of 13-14, else this is a very good book.

8/1/2010 #28
T-cat AKA TaraMafia

Series Title: The Valdemar Series

Author: Mercedes Lackey

Critiques Rating: I couldn't find it.

My rating: 5/5

Okay, so these really are a bunch of series, including The Owl Series, The Heralds of Valdemar series, The Last Herald-Mage series, and others. But all of the books are very good. I would recommend starting with Arrows of the Queen, and you will be able to find others from there. Mercedes Lackey has written other books, but I haven't read them.

8/21/2010 #29
L. W. Perry

TITLE: The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

AUHTOR: Doulgas Adams

CRITIQUES RATING: 4.5/5

YOUR RATING: 4.5/5

MINI-BLURB AND/OR ENGAGING QUOTE: Here's what the Encyclopedia Galactica has to say about alcohol. It says that alcohol is a colourless volatile liquid formed by the fermentation of sugars and also notes its intoxicating effect on certain carbon-based life forms. The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy also mentions alcohol. It says that the best drink in existence is the Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster. It says that the effect of a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster is like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick. The Guide also tells you on which planets the best Pan Galactic Gargle Blasters are mixed, how much you can expect to pay for one and what voluntary organizations exist to help you rehabilitate afterwards. The Guide even tells you how you can mix one yourself. Take the juice from one bottle of that Ol' Janx Spirit, it says. Pour into it one measure of water from the seas of Santraginus V - Oh that Santraginean sea water, it says. Oh those Santraginean fish!!! Allow three cubes of Arcturan Mega-gin to melt into the mixture (it must be properly iced or the benzine is lost). Allow four litres of Fallian marsh gas to bubble through it, in memory of all those happy Hikers who have died of pleasure in the Marshes of Fallia. Over the back of a silver spoon float a measure of Qualactin Hypermint extract, redolent of all the heady odours of the dark Qualactin Zones, subtle sweet and mystic. Drop in the tooth of an Algolian Suntiger. Watch it dissolve, spreading the fires of the Algolian Suns deep into the heart of the drink. Sprinkle Zamphuor. Add an olive. Drink ... but ... very carefully ...

The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy sells rather better than the Encyclopedia Galactica.

WHY THE BOOK/SERIES IS WORTHWHILE: I'm not a huge fan of Sci-Fi, but I found this book brilliant. It's a witty, nerd classic. It's characters are memorable and the plot is beyond unique. The characters get themselves into the oddest situations and out of them in even odder ways. The writing is especially memorable. It's very blunt and seems to take itself seriouslly while remaining very tongue in cheek. It's almost parody.

8/29/2010 . Edited 8/29/2010 #30
Page 1 2 Next »
Forum Moderators: ranDUMM HighOnBrokenWings
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member