The Lounge
So why are you still standing there staring? Come IN for heavens sakes!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 2
ranDUMM

Title: The Other Boleyn Girl

Author: Phillipa Gregory

Publisher and Year: Scribner, 2001

Critiques Rating: Unknown

My Rating: 4/4

Mini Blurb/Engaging Qoute: The Other Boleyn Girl is a historical fiction novel written by British author Phillipa Gregory, loosely based on the life of 16th-century aristocrat Mary Boleyn. The Other Boleyn Girl speaks of the sister to Anne Boleyn of whom little is known. Inspired by the life of Mary Boleyn, Gregory depicts the annulment of one of the most significant royal marriages in English history (that of King Henry VII and Catherine of Aragon) and the great need of a male heir to the throne.

Why the Book is Worht the While: It is a historical novel, but don't be put off by that. It was a BRILLIANT novel, and while it is typically historical, it doesn't feel like it. The language is Elizabethan almost, and the concepts are a little weird, but it is one of the best emotional novels I've ever read. DON'T BE PUT OFF BY THE HISTORICALNESS OR THE LENGTH. You will never ever regret it. :)

11/26/2010 #31
Suena

TITLE:Esperanza Rising

AUHTOR:Pam Munoz Ryan

PUBLISHER & YEAR:Scholastic Press/ 2000

CRITIQUES RATING: 3.5

YOUR RATING: 4

Set during the American Great Depression this story takes you through the life of 13 year old Esperanza Ortega as she and her mother leave behind their rich lifestyle after her fathers untimely death and head for california to work on a farm for migrant workers. It depicts Esperanzas struggle to overcome the obsticles put in her way by fate and newfound strength to carry on even when her mother falls ill. Leaving behind her grandmother, grieving for her deceased father, taking care of her sick mother and going through the every day life and trials of malicious girls and her lost home.

3/29/2011 #32
Mam'zelleCombeferre

TITLE: The Meaning of Night

AUTHOR: Michael Cox

PUBLISHER & YEAR: 2007, Norton

CRITIQUES RATING: 4, "This stunning first novel by Cox opens with a murder on a misty night in 1854 London...From the whorehouses, pubs, and opium dens of Victorian London to the ancient beauty of Tansor's ancestral estate, Cox creates a strong sense of place, a complex narrative full of unexpectedly wicked twists, and a well-drawn cast of supporting characters . His language is mesmerizing, and his themes of betrayal, revenge, social stratification, sexual repression, and moral hypocrisy echo those of the great 19th-century novelists. Written in the tradition of Michael Faber's The Crimson Petal and the White and Sarah Walter's Fingersmith, Cox's masterpiece is highly recommended for all fiction collections." ~Library Journal, starred review

YOUR RATING: I must confess to having not finished the book yet, but as of right now I'll give it a 4.

*MINI-BLURB AND/OR ENGAGING QUOTE:"After killing the red-haired man, I took myself off to Quinn's for an oyster supper. It had been surprisingly - almost laughably - easy. I had followed him for some distance, after first observing him in Threadneedle-street. I cannot say why I decided it should be him, and not one of the others on whom my searching eye had alighted that evening. I had been walking for an hour or more in the vicinity with one purpose: to find someone to kill...."

WHY THE BOOK/SERIES IS WORTHWHILE:The narrator, Edward Glyver is a complex individual that fascinates and disturbs the reader simultaneously. The secondary characters are superbly written and take on a life of their own even though they aren't in the metaphorical spotlight. The setting of Victorian London is as spellbinding as it is in any Sherlock Holmes story although it is much darker and shadowing, a place that reminds you that sometimes the bad guys do win. The plot is a complex web of intellectual twists and turns that leave the reader wondering who is who and if what they read is really true or not. A masterfully written story that deserves all the of the praise it has been given since its publication.

7/16/2011 #33
kurtweill

Now for the fist-pump part: Dubbed the F-35 Lightning II Mustang after the fast, if controversial, new F-35 Lightning II fighter jet, this slammed, one-off 2015 Mustang GT fastback will be one of the first Mustangs to be sold anywhere.

rctophobby store

7/29/2014 #34
« Prev Page 1 2
Forum Moderators: ranDUMM HighOnBrokenWings
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member