Politics
Want to talk about politics without being insulted? I enjoy political discussions.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
ONETRACKMlND

Hell if I know if I spelled his name right. Anyways, here's the place to discuss this cocky neophyte senator and his Jimmy-Carter-esque run for the president.

6/6/2008 #1
DaCivilWarBear

Obama and his opinions/stances scare me. No one knows what this guy is capable of doing - both for good AND for evil. Though Clinton was by no means a good candidate, at least we know where she comes from and what is is.

While I applaud the fact that Obama's going to be the first African-American president in US history, he has NO experience to speak of. He's gone back on his word so many times I can't remember where he stands. And the whole hullaballoo with the Rev. Jeremiah Wright? Well. Obama says he doesn't listen to what the man said. So Obama went to that church for 10 years and never listened to his pastor? Either he's lying or he's a hypocrite, pretending to be a good Christian.

Do we really want either of those traits in the next leader of the free world?

http://campaignspot.nationalreview.com/post/?q=ZTczOGRjYTMxN2Y0YTFiN2RjMGI5OWRiNWJiYjlkY2Q=

8/7/2008 #2
Darri

Mind if I pop in?

I'd just like to say a few words in his defense. First of all, yes, I agree that Obama is sort of new to the political scene, though he is a senator, and you can't really say he has no experince at all. However little he might have, it is unfair to say he has none at all.

Secondly, I understand why people could be afraid of him a little bit- no one really understands what he's trying to do. He's playing politics in a whole new way, and people don't know what to expect. But, really, things can't get much worse, can they? We may know exactly what to expect from John McCain... but is it what America needs? It basically comes down to a choice- getting what you expect, however bad those expectations may be, or taking a chance on someone new. I, personally, would rather take a chance on Obama.

That being said, of course I understand where you're coming from- it's a point of view I've considered and respect. And in the case of Rev. Wright... well, the biggest arguement against Obama has always been people questioning his patriotism. Here he comes, out of the blue, looking different from any man running for president yet, with a crazy internet rumor going around that he's Muslim, even though he's not, and then this business with Rev. Wright comes up- well, quite frankly, I'm surprised it didn't do more damge than it did. Basically, the whole battle going on right now is that people are trying to figure him out- catch any mistake he might make, which explains the huge amount of media coverage he's getting. Everyone knows John McCain (and knew Clinton, when she was running), and people feel safer voting for him (and her).

Also, if you don't mind, could you clarify your last point? The whole pretending to be a good Christian thing? I got only two hours of sleep last night, and I'm not really thinking coherently. I bet none of what I said above made sense...

8/9/2008 #3
DaCivilWarBear

I appreciate your calm and rational response, Darri - it's rather refreshing. :)

Anyway, looking at the Wright issue from a religious perspective, you can't possibly attend a church for 10 years and NOT be influenced by what the pastor says. So when Obama denounces Rev. Wright, it raises several question marks. Don't get me wrong, I'm not disputing Obama's patriotism - not at all. But when someone says they don't listen to their pastor of 10+ years, it makes one wonder.

Either Obama sat in that church for that amount of time because of the good light it shone on him, or he's lying about not listening to Wright. If he only sat in his seat every Sunday to make himself look good, then that marks him clearly as a hypocrite. And if he's lying, well...

The Clinton Years are still fresh in my memory. I, personally, do not want another 8 years of a lying hypocrite in office.

8/9/2008 #4
Darri

Thanks. :) I know what you mean- I don't understand why people always have to yell at each other when it comes to politics. Gets quite annoying, really.

Anyway, I can see what your'e saying. But, as far as I know, there's been no evidence to suggest that all of what Rev. Wright said over the years is similar to what he said on 9/11- as far as we know, Obama might have had a normal experience up until that day. And even if he didn't- well, we've all overlooked things a friend has done for friendship's sake. I'm not an expert in this, and I'm not pretending to be- I'm atheist myself, and have only been to church a couple of times. I'm not really aware of how much a person is influenced by their pastor, so this whole business was not as prominent to me as it might have been if I did go to church. I'm not saying it's not important at all, just telling you what it's like from my viewpoint. But just because he did go to that church for ten years, and even if Wright did spout stuff like this every Sunday- there are other possible reasons for him going than just being a hypocrite... or flat out lying. I'm trying- and failing- to remember where I heard this, but I know in one interview around the time this stuff was going on, Obama said that Wright had been a very good friend of his. I'm not saying what Obama did was right, or that he wasn't lying- I'm just saying there might be more to it than that. (Personally, I wouldn't go to church for ten years just because it made me look good- that's going a little far, don't you think? And if he did, wouldn't he have chosen a church that wouldn't come up against him years later like Rev. Wright's church did?)

As for the Clinton's... I don't have much to say there. I was a little young to be thinking about politics at that time- I'm still in my lower teens now. ;)

And I don't know your opinion on Bush, but if we're talking about traits we don't want in office...

8/9/2008 #5
DaCivilWarBear

Definitely! :D

Hmm, I see what you mean. But I myself am a firm Christian, and have gone to church since I was born, basically (cute story about my birth - my mom was supposed to play the flute for the Easter Sunday service at our church but I was born instead! Anyway.). Trust me - I know how much a pastor can influence you. Sometimes you realize something obvious - like repeating a silly story he told or using one of his favorite phrases - but most of the time it's subtle. It gets in your mind and changes how you think and what you believe, whether you realize it or not. (And you're right - going to church for 10 years just to look good IS a little extreme - but the point I was getting at was a lot of people go "just because" - it's simply a motion, or "the right thing to do.")

You're in your lower teens? I'm surprised. You've communicated your position very clearly, and have demonstrated a lot more maturity/intelligence than I would have expected from someone your age. Well done.

Bush has made a few mistakes, granted, but he is not a liar or a hypocrite.

8/9/2008 #6
Darri

Thanks again! I've never neen called mature before... just nerdy. :) And sorry if it sounded like I was calling Bush a liar and/or hypocrite- I meant other traits. But lets not get into that. Bush is the past... or will be soon.

Anyway, just as a point of interest, what do you think of John McCain, since you don't like Obama? I honestly haven't been paying that much attention to him... he hasn't really done that much. He became the Republican nominee so fast that I didn't really get to know him as a candidate before I started focusing on Obama and Clinton, since that race was dragged out so much. What do you think of him?

8/9/2008 #7
DaCivilWarBear

No problem. I'm a fellow nerd. ;) And no hard feelings about Bush. It's a free country!

The news radio station that I listen to leans strongly to the Left, unfortunately. Therefore, McCain hardly gets any headlines or air time, so I only know bits and pieces from that. However, I do read political magazines and newspapers, so I have a pretty good idea of where he stands, and agree with a good majority of his stands - abortion, war, etc.

I don't much appreciate his Illegal Immigration stance, though. I'm not racist, nor do I mean to sound so, but I don't support amnesty at all. It's unfair to natural-born US citizens for illegal aliens to take our jobs and capitalize on our system of healthcare - to the detriment of the system itself - in a mass wave of foreigners. I'm all for granting citizenship to immigrants - WHO APPLY and follow OUR system of government and speak OUR language.

8/9/2008 #8
Darri

I have a pretty good idea of where he stands, and agree with a good majority of his stands - abortion, war, etc.

It's weird that you say that- I just went to his website, and find that I disagree with just about everything, espcially abortion and the war. I'm a Democrat though (in case anyone didn't already know) and pretty much figured I would. Still, it's nice to know where he stands.

I do agree with you on his Illegal Immigration stance. If immigrants want to come, well, they can apply, learn our language, and have a grand old time. It makes more sense for them too- if they want to have any hope of a better life, it helps to know what the people around you are saying, and to feel secure in your position as a citizen.

Nerds unite! :D

8/9/2008 #9
DaCivilWarBear

*high fives* Yay for nerds!

I'm a really Conservative (but not straight-laced) Republican...*waves* Yeah, I read National Review...http://nationalreview.com/

If immigrants want to come, well, they can apply, learn our language, and have a grand old time.

Exactly. I have nothing against immigrants - my family did not come over from Holland until the late 1950s. But they applied, and were granted, valid US citizenships. My grandfather speaks both fluent Dutch AND fluent English. And his life had been destroyed by the Nazis in the 1940s. If he can learn English and assimilate into American culture, why can't others?

I feel like the two enemy soldiers who met to trade and talk one night during the Civil War: "We felt, as a whole, that if it had been up to us, we could've had the whole war resolved in 15 minutes."

Why can't all Republicans and Democrats discuss important issues rationally, like this?

8/9/2008 #10
Darri

Ah, but haven't you learned yet? No one listens to rational thought anymore. Why speak rationally when you can-

A) Blow people up.

B) Scream someones ear off.

C) Blow people up.

Note the sarcasm there. ;) But I agree. I know! You can be president, and I'll be vice president! We shall solve all the world's problems with just three weeks in office! (I think my lack of sleep has finally begun to affect my brain.) I'll start campaigning!

I apologize for my rather unrelated and half hysterical post. I get to wake up at five tomorrow. Goody.

8/9/2008 #11
DaCivilWarBear

*pats* I feel your pain. Sorta.

Isn't it unconstitutional to have a bipartisan running team? Oh, well, whatever. CAMPAIGN TIME!

8/9/2008 #12
Darri

And once we win, we will make it illegal for people to... uh... have soccer games before 10:00 am! Yeah! And solve global warming, and make world peace, and have everyone join hands singing Imagine!

*pauses*

...It could happen...

Oh, and to keep us somewhat on topic... um... Barack Obama. Cool dude. All... political... and such.

But neither he nor John McCain will stand a chance against us! *insert evil laugh of choice*.

Okay. Bedtime. It's midnight where I am, so yeah...

8/9/2008 #13
DaCivilWarBear

LOL! And we'll make it illegal to play softball in the rain in March!

Okay, goodnight. It was great discussing/spazzing with ya! Go get your rest.

8/9/2008 #14
fatbird33

yeah...it's not that i dislike obama. (at times he does kinda scare me, for some reason i don't know...), but i'm republican for the most part so i guess that settles that, and i think that mccain will make a better prezzie, especially now that palin's on his side. woot. i'm super exicted!

9/9/2008 #15
DaCivilWarBear

I'd support McCain even if I weren't Republican, personally. Palin just cinched the deal! :D

I'm actually writing an article for my school newspaper on why I support McCain, not Obama, and I'm going to use some of the stuff I said above. XD

9/9/2008 #16
fatbird33

that'd be one kickin' article!

9/11/2008 #17
DaCivilWarBear

:D

Actually, upon "further investigation," I've found that the candidates really aren't that different from each other, stance-wise. Might explain the lack of enthusiasm for McCain on the Republicans' side.

Don't get me wrong; I still think McCain is a heck of a lot better for America than Obama.

9/11/2008 #18
fatbird33

yes this is true about the stances. i know my parents-both huge righties-weren't so excited about mccain at first, but now that palin's in the picture, they're like heck ya! same here. she brings a lot more energy to the race, and a lot more realism.

9/12/2008 #19
DaCivilWarBear

Exactly what MY parents said!! :D I love Palin - she's really earthy, knows what she wants, and is straightforward. If (and I hope WHEN) McCain wins, it's to her credit.

9/12/2008 #20
fatbird33

Did anyone by any chance see Palin's interviews with Charles Gibson. Was it just me, or was he incredibly strict and harsh on her. I mean it seemed like everything he said was to make her look bad. (This is hard to do , but he attempted to do it). i hate that all the media is liberal. people are so easily influenced by tv, that it's just unfair.

Palin said some great things in those interviews however. i loved what she said about gun control. it's what i've been saying for years!! and towards gay marriage she said, i don't remember the exact words, but she said that she didn't care if people were different.

okay only one more thing. the whole thing about her church praying away the gays have turned a lot of people off from her. yet, nearly the same thing happened with obama and reverend wright(sp?)

okay that's all!!

9/13/2008 #21
DaCivilWarBear

I didn't get a chance to see the interview, what with school and all, but I wish I had.

And amen to the whole liberal media thing. I'm so sick of it! That's why I read the National Review. http://nationalreview.com/

Obamessiah, as my dad calls him, is attracting fangirls/boys due to his rhetorical skills, but that's all there is to him. People will find that out soon enough if he's elected...

9/13/2008 #22
fatbird33

True that. It's like those neew political ads for McCain. i would have to agree that obama is an amazing speaker, gotta give him props for that. i don't know if you've ever read the fountainhead by ayn rand, but he reminds me a LOT fo a character in there, toohey. anywho, all i hear obama saying is how he's going to do this and that, and all of these great things for our nation, but he never says HOW he's going to achieve them. that's what i'd like to know. because what he says might sound great, but it could very well be impossible.

9/13/2008 #23
DaCivilWarBear

Exactly. He's my senator (I'm an Illinoisan) and I wrote him and D*** Durban back in May, asking them to protect the Gettysburg electric map (long story...). Three months later, I get an email from Obama...

Thank you for your letter regarding the removal of a 3-D battlefield map at the Gettysburg National Military Park's Visitor Center. I was glad to hear from you and am pleased to hear you have such a deep interest in one of the most pivotal moments in American history.

Some believe that historic preservation is only about bricks and mortar, landscape conservation, or structural repairs. Certainly those elements are important; however, I strongly agree with you that historic preservation -- especially on projects with such national significance as Civil War battlefields -- has broader ramifications. These sites enable present generations to remember an era where millions of Americans took up arms against each other in the bloodiest conflict of our history.

You may be interested to know that the Civil War Battlefield Preservation Act, S. 1921 was introduced on August 1, 2007, by Senator Jim Webb (D-VA). On January 30, 2008, it was reported out of the Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources and now awaits consideration from the full Senate. I share your interest in preserving both our national memory and historic landmarks, which is why I joined my colleagues as a cosponsor of the bill.

You may also be interested to know that the President's FY 2009 budget proposal currently provides a $1 million increase in matching funds for Civil War battlefield grants through the National Park System. Later this year, the full Senate will consider the Department of the Interior Appropriations bill for FY 2009, which will determine critical funding levels for key agencies such as the U.S. Forestry Service and the Bureau of Land Management. As we move through this process, I will make sure that such agencies receive adequate funding to carry out their important missions.

Finally, please accept my sincere apology for the inordinate delay in my response. I am still working on the challenge of responding efficiently to the thousands of letters, e-mails, and calls a day from my Illinois constituents.

Again, thank you for writing. Please stay in touch on any issue that is of concern to you.

Did you notice how he didn't address the point of my letter? It was all about him and what he's done...but the same day, I got two letters in the mail: one from D*** Durban, and one from the National Park Service. It turns out that Senator Durban read my letter and forwarded it to the NPS. Therefore, I got two personalized letters addressing my concerns, answering my questions, and nothing else.

McCain may not be as gifted oratorically and be as charismatic as Obama, but he means what he says and nothing more.

9/13/2008 #24
fatbird33

wow. what fantastic examples/evidence/stuff. good job taking action about something, even though i don't really know what exactly for. i totally agree with your last statements too. great points!Illinois, huh? i'm a fellow midwesterner, wisonsin! woot!

9/13/2008 #25
DaCivilWarBear

:D I'm actually a Michigander by birth, but I live here in Lincolnland...

One thing I've noticed is that Obama is "the great Reformer," but he's been involved in Chicago/Illinois politics for years and hasn't made any significant difference. Hm...

9/13/2008 #26
fatbird33

indeed. i've never even heard of him before he decided to run for president.

9/13/2008 #27
DaCivilWarBear

My parents didn't want him to be our senator, either. But alas...

9/13/2008 #28
fatbird33

if they didn't want him to be senator i can't imagine they're all to thrilled about his campaign! that...well, sucks. My mother's afraid of him, thinks he's going to be a crazy dictator or something. my dad's just conservative and that's that. Personally, i would pick the person that would make the best prezzie, and mccain is that person. i believe so anyhow.

9/13/2008 #29
DaCivilWarBear

That's how it should be. How much do you want to bet that a lot of Obama's supporters are such because he's 1. Black or 2. Liberal/Democrat? My parents are thrilled that an African-American has a decent shot at the presidency, but they'd much rather it be anyone but Obama. My family's pretty well off, upper middle-class, but that's all due to my parents' hard work. Put themselves through college, got jobs, waited to have kids, etc. Obama's taxation policies will affect our finances so negatively that they won't be able to afford to send me to the Christian school I've been going to since kindergarten.

*sigh* I have a lot, privately and publicly, resting on this election.

9/13/2008 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Blackbird552
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member