New Sovereignty
Lead a colony as it struggles for its place among others in a virgin world.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
AspenIvan

Name of Colony: New Survaek

Location of Founding Colony: Main city at the bay in square 10 by 19, with scattered peasant villages in the surrounding fertile land; coal mine and stone quarry in 10 by 20, lumber camp at 10 by 18, iron mines in 8 by 19 and 7 by 19; coastal fortress in construction at the intersection of latitude line 8 and longitude line 17, with scattered peasant villages in the fertile land below

Administration: Officially ruled by Survaekom Emperor Yvor the Reformer, letters carried by dove from the monarch, the mainland's only form of contact with the colony, arrive only periodically every month or so. Thus, most of New Survaek's decisionmaking is carried out by the colonial government, which consists of Governor Haerk and the New Survaekom Senate, the former as executive and the latter as a legislative branch. The main other figures of power are Grand General Jheut Klau, who is technically subject to the orders of the governor and senate but personally has a much larger following than either, as well as Senator Pekhai Sujjid, the wealthiest nobleman of the colony and head of its westward expansion project.

History of Expedition: Emperor Yvor had originally planned to send a very large colony with which he would maintain consistent contact and resupplying, but was unable to do so in the face of sudden wars and internal strife. This occured after his first expeditionary army had set out, and after much consideration the emperor decided not to recall this force, which he figured could map the area of the new continent it had reached and build at least one self-sustainable settlement, which could later be added to.

The colony, appropriately named New Survaek, has gotten off to a good start in its first few weeks of existence, with the beginnings of a fortified town set up, fields enclosed and planted around. In addition, two outposts have been set up, connected to the town by newly cleared dirt trails. One is located in the mountains to the East, near valuable minerals, and one to the West in the forests by the nearby river as a checkpoint for steamers and for lumber operations to begin.

Population: 8,447

Composition of Expedition:

-140 sailors

-3 naval captains

-one brigade of riflemen (3,404 men, including officers)

-one battalion of sappers (334 men, including officers)

-three machinegun brigades (453 men, including officers)

-two fortress artillery brigades (422 men, including officers)

-one field artillery brigade (211 men, including officers)

-1,000 state-owned slaves (for mining)

-2,051 peasant farmers

-116 carpenters

-112 masons

-109 gunsmiths

-93 blacksmiths

-twenty-one aristocrats which form the colonial senate plus their families (87 people total)

-Governor Haerk and his family (5 people)

-3 cartographers

Equipment Upon Arrival:

-one three-masted, three-decked, steel-plated, sixty-two gun wooden steam/sail frigate (40 15-pounder broadside carronades, 18 20-pounder broadside long-guns, 2 15-pounder rotating guns on front, 2 on back) the Yvor's Wind

-six seven-gun (six twelve-pounder broadside long-guns, one frontal) military steamers (also carry one machinegun each) the Haerk's Wind, Sea Wasp, Charcoal, Stallion, Frontier, and Sunray

-sixty fortress artillery pieces (30-pounder cannons)

-thirty field artillery pieces (twenty 12-pounder cannons and ten 24-pound howitzers)

-ninety field machineguns

-proper arms and supplies for all soldiers

-around one-thousand civilian-owned firearms, mostly muzzle-loading muskets

-a fair deal of extra powder for all weapons

-proper tools and equipment for all workers (i.e. hammers and anvils for smiths, LOADS of seeds for farming, etc.)

-122 workhorses plus carts and plows

-54 oxen

-LOADS of brick and spackle

-some coal leftover from the initial voyage for use in the river steamers

-large quantities of various seeds

Technology Level: Industrial Age

-Important Technologies:

-steam engine

-breech-loading rifles and cannons

-explosive artillery shells

-repeating firearms (lever-action and revolving-action)

-seed drill

-iron plow

-cotton gin

Magic System: None

-Capabilities: NA

-Weaknesses: NA

-Effects on user: NA

Basic Info: Survaekom society has long been built on an Emperor monarch who is worshipped by the populace either as a demi-god or as a representative of distant gods (under principle of divine mandate). This has allowed for some oppression, but has taken a dramatic shift lately. Emperor Yvor the Reformer, now having ruled for thirty years, has led Survaek through a technological and societal revolution. He has replaced the iron-f*** rule of former emperors with a kinder monarchy which has allowed more rights not only to nobles, but even to non-landowning commoners (albeit to a lesser extent). The only exception to this reform has been slavery, which Yvor has maintained only for use on military prisoners and ethnic "islanders," who are considered belligerent by nature. Thus, Emperor Yvor and his government enjoy a huge amount of public support, even in light of recent wars and slave revolts.

In terms of culture, Survaekom follow strict codes of honesty, loyalty (especially to the emperor), and work ethic (even Survaekom nobles do not ever own personal slaves). Robes are the universal garment of Survaek, and red is its national color. Its flag is a crimson sun with four thick beams, one to each corner, over a dark green background.

Survaekom Ethnic Groups

Survaekom "Pure": The original founder of the Survaek Empire, who conquered and assimilated the others. They generally have thin but fairly strong frames, angular facial features, dark-tan skin, eyes of some shade of brown or grey, and straight black or brown hair -aside from a small sub-ethnicity known to have curly red hair-. Most ethnic Survaekom hold to extremely rigid standards of hierarchial duty and loyalty both for subordinates to leaders and leaders to subordinates. Historically, it has been known for emperors and nobles to abuse this hierarchy by placing most of the burden on the part of lowest subordinates, but lately, Yvorian reforms have brought a greater balance to the system. The Survaekom pure are the Survaekom who most worship the Emperor as a demi-god (around 65% do so).

Byrnians: In physical appearance, Byrnians tend to have very dark-skin, brown eyes, and black hair. In terms of other physical features, Byrnians -in several sub-ethnicities- range from Survaekom-esque to stocky frames, rounder features, and tightly-curled hair. Culturally, Byrnians are renowned for their strong sense of community, which has influenced Survaekom Populism, and for their understanding and acceptance of foreigners. A rite of passage for every Byrnian is to travel abroad, live for up to a year in another nation, and return having learned its language and customs. Thus, Byrnians are highly sought-after as translators and dignitaries. Most Byrnians hold to the principle of divine mandate of the Emperor (90%) rather than seeing him as a deity.

Islanders: Islanders generally have very strong builds, burnt-orange or reddish skin, brown eyes, and wavy or curly hair. Islander cultures were once very diverse, with ploytheism being the only constant, but after their multiple wars with and conquest by the Survaekom, most have hybridized their cultures with other islanders or lost their heritage altogether. As punishment for over a century of resistance to the Survaekom, all islanders within Survaekom borders have been forced into convoict labor. The only functional islander nation still not under Survaekom control is the Kudaf Confederacy, which is an ally of New Indroie.

8/10/2009 . Edited 3/1/2010 #1
Mindwarp

Hrm. I realize now the disadvantages of starting a forum when it's near midnight and one is tired. I've updated the rules to include some about starting colonies and I'm working on the Map.

Now as for your application. The big thing is the loads of stuff it starts out with. colonies are supposed to start out as a roughly clean slate, with some chosen equipment. Let's cut down the number of ships to two or three, and say that since the colony took a few weeks to set up most of the coal, powder, bricks and other resources are running low. In other words, you get to keep most of the tech you brought, but no resources so you've got enough shot and powder for maybe one engagement, after which you need to get the resources to maintain this stuff.

I don't see any other problems, but I should ask- those riflemen and soldiers have other jobs too, correct? Four thousand soldiers aren't going to stand around the colony all day in case of an attack. Not when they could possibly contribute something.

8/11/2009 #2
AspenIvan

17th century colonies start out with a clean slate. 19th century colonies come with a lot more.

And when you say two or three ships, what size are you talking about? Surely you don't mean to say I could have three frigates or something as such? How about I cut the yachts and sloops out completely but keep the frigate and half of the steamers for a total of seven ships?

8/11/2009 #3
Mindwarp

Alright, seven ships will be fine, but I stand firm on the resource situation. No colony, no matter how much they pack, is going to have many supplies left over after a long voyage and building their home city. Not only that, but it's an issue of forum balance. The disadvantage of playing a more advanced colony is the require more resources to maintain their technology.

Anyway, along with that- Approved!

8/11/2009 #4
AspenIvan

Thanks, but the debate isn't over yet.

Doesn't this system automatically give low-tech but high-magic societies a huge advantage? They get powerful spells which can give advantages similar to those of technology without resource drain. Of course there are effects on the users, but these don't even approach the disadvantage of running entirely out of necessary goods.

I am fine with coal being low in supply, but gunpowder should not be, given that the Survaekom have not had any conflicts on their way to the new land.

Lastly, are you saying that I start with my first city already built? This might actually be good, since the whole process of building up put a damper on development in the first colonial forum.

8/11/2009 #5
Mindwarp

Yes, you start with the first city basically established. We're basically picking up with everyone having arrived a few weeks ago and having spent the time establish a home base. That means you can expand right away.

You can have enough gunpowder to last a few engagements, but it's still an irreplaceable resource until you get. . . let's see... sulphur and potassium nitrate would probably be around coal, charcoal around wood.

8/11/2009 #6
AspenIvan

May I start with a few outposts? Since all 4,000-odd soldiers are working alongisde peasants and slaves, building would go pretty fast.

8/11/2009 #7
Mindwarp

Adjacent to the city tile for now. You can send out expeditions and expand pretty quickly from there once we get going.

8/11/2009 #8
AspenIvan

So I will have one outpost by the iron and stone rich mountain right next to my city, and will certainly have an outpost at the coal very soon.

8/11/2009 #9
Mindwarp

Indeed. Part of the fun is the power grab. I'll update the map either tonight or tomorrow.

8/11/2009 #10
AspenIvan

New Survaek was turning into a true settlement. The central town, named Audejjai, finally had a full wall, albeit a palisade with brick-reinforced ramparts rather than a proper stone or conrete barrier, but a wall nonetheless. The interior, at least, included brick buildings: housing for nobles, an armory, and the newly finished metalworking factory. The rest of the town was wooden, but sturdy by the efforts of expert carpenters.

The woodland outpost, set up along the Western river coast, received its first "shipment" of cargo from a steamer, a load of seafish picked up by sailors' nets on the frigate Yvor's Wind, which stood anchored at the bay. Lumber operations were now centered around this camp, fortified by a short palisade with a company of riflemen as its guard.

A mine was under construction in the Eastern mountain outpost, while a quarry had just been finished. Because of the high concentration of slaves in this camp and the valuable resources around it, extra defensive measurements had been made, including the presence of one full battalion of riflemen and one ten-gun battery of twenty pounders.

Further North in the mountain range, a cartographer, one hundred slave porters, ten packhorses, and a company of red-sashed sappers cleared another path through the mountains while searching for more deposits of value.

The rest of New Survaek's soldiers and goods were set in barracks and storehouses (respectively) in Audejjai when not working on the town's own contrusction projects and patrols. Most of these structures were tempoarary, meant to be taken down when forces and supplies were needed elsewhere.

8/11/2009 . Edited 8/11/2009 #11
Mindwarp

It was during this time that the first contact between Imeren and New Survaek was made. While the Survaekom fishing vessels were out they were approached by a pair of Ivisk sloops, unarmed and unsuspecting, looking to harvest from the same rich waters.

8/11/2009 #12
AspenIvan

The captain of the steamer Sea Wasp, out past the bay and with nets lowered for fishing, spotted the foreign sloops on the horizon through his telescope. The entire crew was alerted by the ship's warning bell, and men rushed to cannons and their own carbines in preparaton for any conflict. The captain's first mate, at the steamer's machinegun (the highest point of the vessel aside from its smokestack and flag), raised a flaregun to the sky. A bright red orb lifted itself into the air with a bang, and all was silent as the Survaekom crew waited for a response.

8/11/2009 . Edited 8/11/2009 #13
Mindwarp

Both vessels turned and slowed as crewmen rushed to the side to see what was up. The sight of ships, and what looked like heavily armored ships at that, was a cause for some dismay. These were supposed to be uncharted waters. Some kind of response had to be made though, so the captain fired a streak of shining white magic into the air. It wasn't so flash as a flare and didn't make a bang, but it was unmistakable.

8/11/2009 #14
AspenIvan

((We are assuming that the weather is clear, yes?))

"They've returned our signal!" the Sea Wasp's first mate cried out to the captain.

"Are they coming any closer?!" asked the captain, still worried.

"No, they've stopped! Will we make an approach?!"

"Yes we will! Signal our action to the Wind!" Another few flares of multiple colors, these much smaller than the first (being code rather than a display of presence), told the Yvor's Wind in the distant bay of the Wasp's approach, so that a crewman of the former was assigned to watch the movements through a telescope in case anything went wrong.

A plume of smoke rose from the stack of the Sea Wasp as coal was fed into its boiler, soon turning the wheel at its back. Keeping at moderate speed, the steamer came closer to the foreign arrivals.

8/11/2009 #15
Mindwarp

As the ships approached, one captain grew nervous. The Governor should be alerted, he realized, and that might not happen if both ships just sat here and waited. The wind wasn't bad, he could make a good tack back towards the city.

"Signal the other sloop." He said to his companion. "Tell them to stay put, I'm going to alert the Governor."

A series of white flashes was sent to the other vessel, signaling the intentions, then the one sloop turned around and opened sails to return to home port while the other stayed and met with the other ships.

8/12/2009 #16
AspenIvan

((Only one Survaekom ships ia approaching. The other is staying back while it's crew watches from afar in case of trouble.))

After a few minutes, the Sea Wasp came close enough to the sloop for the Survaekom crew to get a good look at the foreign crew. Surprise marked the faces of the Survaekom as they beheld what appeared to be grey-skinned people with dress and apparent technology of foreigners from a thousand years ago.

Smoke ceased to rise from the steamer's stack as its engine was cut off, and the vessel coasted the rest of the way to the sloop. As crew examined crew, the Survaekom captain took his journal and sketched the flag on the sailship as accurately as possible.

_

The mountain expedition had come across what the leading cartographer, also experienced in mineral prospection, has confirmed to be a large deposit of iron. Immediately, a tall flagpost was planted at the area and the Survaekom flag flown upon it. One section of sappers, eleven men, headed back along the new dirt path it had helped form, towards the mountain outpost.

At the mountain outpost itself, although the coal mine was not complete, some small, isolated ores had been mined and were being carried to Audejjai, where some of the last of the colony's brick supply was going into a large refinery for various materials.

8/12/2009 . Edited 9/16/2009 #17
Mindwarp

((So? It's still engine-powered, ironclad and armed, which is a far cry from a small, unarmed sloop.))

The fishing crews lined the edge of the sloop, watching the strange vessel at it sailed by, close enough to see the other crew's faces. The air was tense, as no one knew what the other vessel would do. The captain waved tentatively, unsure of a means of contact.

The other sloop, meanwhile, was disappearing over the horizon.

8/12/2009 #18
AspenIvan

((I was correcting your use of the plural more than criticizing your decision.

Oh, and by the way, since not much has happened and no one else has joined yet, may I add a few more people to my expedition, such as masons? I think I meant to put those in in the first place, but I would like your permission before editing them in.))

At this point, neither the captain nor the crew knew exactly what to do. The captain began by hesitantly stepping down from the steamer's small second deck and to the outer edge of the main deck facing the foreigners. As he saw what appeared to be their captain waving, he slowly raised his hand and waved back, figuring that he ought to return the gesture. Beyond that, he was clueless as to what should happen next.

8/12/2009 #19
Mindwarp

((Go ahead. You don't necessarily have to include every single expert, but I understand if you want to.))

The Ivisk captain was also relatively baffled. He didn't quite like the idea of boarding the other ship to say hello, and he doubted that they used signal-lights to way this ship did. Tentatively, he tried gesturing towards the fishing gear aboard his ship, then at the waters around them, hoping the other ship understood his intentions. Chances were they could tell his ship was no threat.

8/12/2009 #20
AspenIvan

((Thanks.))

The Survaekom captain understood the foreigner's motions, but did not know how to respond. He finally decided that the safest course of action was to simply tell the sloop to leave Survaekom waters, since he doubted that any Survaekom could speak the newcomers' langauge. Mustering up a commanding air, he pointed sharply out, signaling that the foreigners needed to leave.

8/12/2009 #21
Mindwarp

The captain frowned, but understood. With a few curt orders he ordered his ship to turn around and depart, since there was no way he could dispute the strange ship's demands.

8/12/2009 #22
AspenIvan

The captain waited until the foreign sloop was well out of sight before ordering the crew to head the ship back to its fishing spot and lower nets again. The crewmen seemed quite relieved, but he put his face into his palm ashamedly; he hadn't even tried to say "thank you" to the newcomers, who clearly hadn't meant any harm.

_

Within the next week, construction of the coal mine, or at least the outer part that would serve as the main mine until tunnels were built, was finished. Already another battalion of troops and battery of twenty pounders was sent to the mountains, along with a company of sappers to build defenses around the iron, making it the second fortified camp of the mountains.

After some lag due to some accidents and subsequent corrections in the dirt trail, a one-platoon guard post was set up by the iron deposit next to the flagpost already there. After construction was finished to its south, the next order of operations would be to construct a mine at this location.

Audejjai itself was practically a finished piece. Horses and oxen had finished plowing the fields around the town and peasants had finished enclosing them, and now farmers with seed drills were scattering their crops-to-be in their plots. Wheat, barley, oats, and potatoes would be the settlement's staples, with nobles having their own personal groves of fruit trees and peasants a few communal plots for such luxuries as tomatoes and cabbages.

The town walls were now fully protected by constant patrols and a brigade of fortress guns, a full thirty twenty pounders, and the Survaekom flag proudly flying at each corner, a symbol that was said to strike fearful respect all across the globe by at least by secondhand knowledge.

Inside the city, the refinery was put into operation just in time for its first shipment of ores, from which it separated some coal and nitrates along with a modest amount of iron, from a loose ore just sent from the Northern outpost. A few smiths' shops were nearly set up, and if all went well they would be in working order in time for the refinery's first shipments to them.

8/12/2009 . Edited 9/16/2009 #23
AspenIvan

Governor Haerk sat in his office with his head rested on his arm pensively. He had been entirely bright and hopeful for his colony until the foreigners had arrived. Did they have a colony too, set up between the arrivals of the naval expedition and the colonial expedition? Or were they native to the area and either missed until now or just having expanded? For the first time, the governor felt worry.

Finally, Haerk decided against sending an enovy immediately. Instead, effort would be focused on speeding up development in core areas of self-sufficiency and defense.

Orders were sent out for large shipments of stone from the quarry to reinforce and eventually replace the current wall. The woodland outpost's garrison was increased to a battalion of riflemen, each of the Western mountain outposts to two battalions, and the Northwestern post to one company. The latter was supplied with materials and labor for construction of defenses and a mine as well.

8/13/2009 #24
Mindwarp

Governor Unaram Amith decided, after much deliberation, that more needed to be known about his new neighbors before some kind of outreach was made. For that reason a small scout company had been sent out. Five veteran Ikun, Ivisk who had been in rough situations before and would be able to weather the trip, along with an Uram and supplies each. Their orders were simple and strict: avoid all contact, learn what you can.

The party set out immediately, sticking to the mountains where they could move under cover, hunkering down in good hiding places by day and traveling by night. The Uram mounts were a great use here: few other creatures could compare to the giant cats in sure-footedness on the rough ground, and it was only thanks to their nightvision that night travel was truly possible. Even with these advantages it took several days of rough travel before the party neared Survaekom-controlled lands.

8/14/2009 #25
AspenIvan

The nearest lands in question were marked by the Northeastern mountain outpost, now developing into a fortified iron mine. Sentries were present but few, as most soldiers were actively involved in the labor of building up defenses with slaves, all under the direction and supervision of a section of expert sappers.

Thus, patrols around the area were scant and sporadiac, usually involving half a dozen men at most making a tour of the mountain. One such group happened to pass by the location of the Imeren scouts, with rifles either atop their shoulders or tucked under their arms. The men were professionals, but even they were subject to boredom, resulting unavoidably in some chatter among the men, albeit more limited than would be in a group of lesser training or expectations.

8/14/2009 . Edited 9/16/2009 #26
Mindwarp

Three scouts and all the cats were a ways away, where there was little risk of them being spotted as the Ivisk rested. Scouts had been sent forward, one at a time, to observe while the other three stayed back at camp. Thus there was only a lone Ivisk nearby when the sentries approached, and he had already picked a good location from which he easily retreated. The Ivisk didn't tempt their luck though; after getting what information they could they moved on, swinging east around the base and following what seemed to be a rough trail west from a distance.

8/15/2009 #27
AspenIvan

((First trail is going to go South, then the next is going to go West. Remember that the Survaekom have a second mountain outpost now -at the coal-, which is the one that the Ivisk first encountered, no doubt.))

8/15/2009 #28
AspenIvan

The Western outpost, composed of the interconnected fortified quarry and coal mine, was much more heavily guarded than its NorthWestern counterpart, with multiple consistent patrols covering its vicinity even while many soldiers worked on the ever-growing contrustion efforts.

Here, the settlement was more akin to a redoubt than a simple camp, with flags flying high and fortress guns set on stone ramparts behind thick wooden walls, overlooking the vast expanse around with the ominous glare of their dark steel barrels.

8/17/2009 . Edited 9/16/2009 #29
Mindwarp

((Not very big walls at this point I'd think.))

Due to the number of patrols and their strict instructions the scouts decided not to scout the iron mine closely. Aside from cursory looks from distant peaks they gave it a wide berth, staying off of but keeping sight on the mountain trails the Survaekom used.

8/18/2009 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Mindwarp
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member