New Sovereignty
Lead a colony as it struggles for its place among others in a virgin world.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »
AspenIvan

((That figure in the officer's manual assumes that they have either earthworks or a good deal of natural cover. In an open field, I doubt that they could take anywhere near ten times their number, at least not without some type of support.))

"If you will give us permission to dock and anchor for the night, I believe that I and the crew of our vessel would be delighted to stay in whatever lodgings you may offer, if such is not a burden."

9/9/2009 #31
Mindwarp

"I have guest rooms within the palace that you and your officers can stay in. I'll see what I can do for your crew, but their berths will likely be more comfortable than anything I can arrange for them."

9/11/2009 #32
AspenIvan

"The crew will stay aboard our ship, then," concluded the ambassador. "I believe it will be best not to bother you with finding accomodation for them while your own settlement is still in the process of development. I and my comrade captain will accept your hospitality, and do offer our thanks and gratitude for it." He smiled and bowed to the governor.

9/11/2009 #33
Mindwarp

"Very well, I will have the servants see you to your rooms. A script of the agreement should be ready by morning." Unaram said.

The palace's guest rooms were about as luxurious as one could get in the new lands at this time. They had tapestries and rugs for warmth and decoration, beds, and a magical lamp which the servants demonstrated could be activated or deactivated by pulling a switch on the side. The food was surprisingly good because Unaram had managed to find an ingenious chef somehow able to make gourmet meals out of fish, bread, and months-old spices.

Writing up the treaty took longer than it might have, since the scribe was not used to the language and Unaram Amith insisted on double-checking every word to make it airtight. In the end they were able to present the ambassador with a solid treaty with the following clauses:

First, that the dividing line between the territories of the Imeren Colony of the Reaching Empire and the Colony of New Survaek would be an east-west line halfway between the two colonies.

Second, that Imeren Colony agreed to cede the remainder of latitude 8-19 to New Survaek upon the payment of five pounds gold, at whichever time New Survaek rendered payment.

Third, that the Colonies of Imeren and New Survaek agreed hereafter to refrain from any sort of military aggression against the other.

Finally, that the Colony of Imeren and New Survaek agreed hereafter to consider legislation to permit and regulate trade between said colonies.

9/14/2009 #34
AspenIvan

Captain Ijjuk was hesitant to stay in a foreign establishment, but Ammbassador Gaunu's complete confidence in the situation gave him enough ease to advance tentatively into the palace guest rooms, eat the magnificent dinner prepared for him and the ambassador, and eventually fall asleep in his alloted room.

The next day, Gaunu eagerly read through the treaty composed by Amith's scribe and, without any debate, proceeded to sign the document. As an act of good faith, the tired and still nervous captain added his own signature as a witness.

9/14/2009 #35
Mindwarp

Unaram Amith also signed the document, as did one of the few other Arun who had traveled to the new colony. hands were shaken all around, and the governor offered the Ambassador a final celebratory meal before they returned to New Survaek with their own copy of the treaty.

9/14/2009 #36
AspenIvan

"I will accept," replied the ambassador, "but only on the condition that my fellow Survaekom crewmen may come, bringing with them their last catches from Audejjai Bay along with our stores of salt and spices."

9/14/2009 #37
Mindwarp

"Of course, of course." The governor said amiably. "This is certainly an occasion that they should share in."

Obviously, the governor took some precautions regardless of his amiable ways. The final dinner would be in the palace, and thus guards were stationed in the streets around and at various doorways. Not common soldiers, but veteran Arinkamer. His bodyguard would also be there, but he was always there.

9/16/2009 #38
AspenIvan

"Thank you, thank you, and thanks to your people!" replied Gaunu wholeheartedly. "A feast we shall have! Shall we cook the fish ourselves or bring it to your kitchens?"

9/16/2009 #39
Mindwarp

"I would prefer not to aggravate my cook." Amith commented wryly. "I went through great expense to get him, and I doubt he'd appreciate sharing 'his' kitchen."

9/18/2009 #40
AspenIvan

"Very well then. We will see you tonight, if all goes well. Farewell!"

_

That night, seventeen sailors along with Gaunu and Ijjuk, bearing basketloads seafood roasted just from the roast and a few crates of spices, headed to the Imeren Palace.

9/18/2009 #41
Mindwarp

Governor Unaram was at the gathering, along with his wife and a few other Arun from the colony. Besides the nobles there were a few Ikun, mostly officers and a couple commoners. All in all it was a small gathering. The governor's cook had made up the best meal possible with his limited supplies, and the governor was very accommodating. He welcomed them inside, past the impassive guards at the door, and into the main hall where he introduced his guests: the good captain and the ambassador. The sailors were allowed in, but were hardly glanced upon, much like the servants.

9/21/2009 #42
AspenIvan

Captain Ijjuk and Ambassador Gaunu bowed humbly to their host and thanked him and his people for their hospitality. The sailors followed suit as they approached Governor Amith in a row and bowed one at a time, before continuing on to the table. Although the ambassador protested briefly in a whisper of Survaekom, for the sake of the Imeren's convencience, Ijjuk insisted on introducing every sailor by name and rank as they passed by.

9/21/2009 #43
Mindwarp

Unaram hid his annoyance and acknowledged each sailor with a slight nod of the head (and no more), reminding himself this was supposed to be a celebration. The sailors seats were at one end of the table, with the commoners and next to the Ikun, while the Ambassador and captain were given seats on one side of the governor, across from his wife. The food was served, and Unaram Amith.

"To a long and prosperous relationship between our countries." The governor said, lifting his glass.

9/22/2009 #44
AspenIvan

((Funny cultural differences. Survaekom honor sailors, like soldiers, as noble defenders of the empire, while the Imeren see them as lowly commonfolk. Even better, the Byrnian ambassador is the only person conscientious enough to notice this cultural difference! The captain only sees it as natural to introduce his men, but Amith sees it is demeaning!))

"To a long and prosperous relationship indeed!" replied Gaunu, raising his glass politely in return and quickly followed in suit by Ijjuk.

9/22/2009 #45
Mindwarp

((Partially that, also partially that the Ivisk are consummate racists. The governor's goodwill might extend to the ambassador and Captain as a matter of politics and showing respect for another power, but that doesn't mean the same courtesy extends to the crews.))

The governor sipped his glass as others raised their own in turn. "May I introduce my wife, Arun Armis Adkinar" He gestured to the female on his right side. Like the few other females at the table, she was a good seven inches shorter than her husband. The ambassador couldn't see her knee-length skirt under the table, but her strapless dress likely didn't fit their ideas of decency. "Charmed." She said of the introductions in a rough accent, suggesting that she knew little more Byrnian than that.

9/22/2009 #46
AspenIvan

"Likewise," replied the ambassador. "It is a pleasure and an honor to meet you, madame Adkinar." He was indeed slightly disturbed by her indecent dress, but kept his composure perfectly with the diplomatic experience of decades. Surprusingly, the captain, a prime example of a fully culturally indoctrinated Survaekom, did not reveal his disgust except with a slight twitch of his left eye.

9/22/2009 #47
Mindwarp

The governor repeated the Ambassador's words to his wife in their own language. She seemed to receive them well, since she smiled gracefully at the Survaekom and said something that could be assumed to mean "Thank you."

"You've seen Arun Inkan Arrilun before. He acted as a witness to the treaty." The governor indicated to another well-dressed Arun.

"Well met for a second time." Arrilun said, leaning forward elegantly. "You must be proud, having done so much for your country. Few people get have the privilege of sharing the company of Aruns, and even fewer so quickly."

9/23/2009 #48
AspenIvan

"Indeed you are correct," affirmed the ambassador. "I and my comrade captain are honored to have this privilege of your hospitality and audience, and thank all of you for bestwoing it upon us." Gaunu and Ijjuk bowed together to Arrilun, the governor, and then over towards the rest of the dinner guests. "Back in our city, we will tell of the benevolence of the Imeren."

9/23/2009 #49
Mindwarp

"A celebratory dinner is hardly benevolence." The governor humbly replied. "I am as glad as you this business is concluded. There is nothing I would like to avoid as much as unpleasant misunderstandings. The chance of one becomes less the more we learn of each other."

"Speaking of which, I would be greatly interested in learning more of your own city. To avoid misunderstandings." Arrulin added on.

9/23/2009 #50
AspenIvan

"Do you wish to hear of our origins?" asked Gaunu, for clarification. "Or do you wish to hear of our colonial settlement? Or both?"

9/23/2009 #51
Mindwarp

"Honestly I would hear of your customs, so that I can avoid snubbing the next ambassador who visits through some unknown insult." Was the reply.

9/23/2009 #52
AspenIvan

"In that case, I will first impart upon you, good Arrulin, that our ambassadors are almost all Byrnians such as myself, and we Byrnians are careful neither to take nor give offense to any person at home or abroad. Dealing with people of other nations is simply a part of our culture, as is the extending of the benefit of the doubt. Every Byrnian, upon coming of age, is expected to travel afar and learn the language and customs of another people, other than the Survaekom, of course, to whom we are tied by nationality. Those ambassadors of ours who are not Byrnians are Survaekom with a great deal of diplomatic experience.

Now, for dealing with other Survaekom, let me tell you of their customs. All Survaekom wear robes. This even extends to we Byrnians, who do consider ourselves Survaekom to some cultural extent. One who does not wear a robe is at best an eccentric, at worst an outcast. In addition, anyone on official business must wear a headdress, as I and my captain and our sailors do.

Another custom universal to the entire Survaekom nation is loyalty to our Emperor, whomever it may be. An Emperor must be respected either by service or prayers, and the best citizen will commit to both.

That brings me to another value of ours: citizenry. In other words, statehood. We tend to have a predisposition to civilized nations like your own and ours, and against nomadic and borderless groups, who have been untrustworthy in our historic experience. Thus, it is most important to recognize the difference between such entities in titles. We are not simply 'Survaek,' but 'The Grand Survaek Empire.' Likewise, I would refer to your nation as 'The Grand Imeren Kingdom,' to be most proper, if I am correct in your national structure. Such titles must be used in any formal document or address, but are acceptably omitted in common speech after once mentioned.

Next, let me speak of values of cleanliness. A Survaekom must never wear shoes or an overcoat inside, and must wash his hands and feet before entering the house of another. We Byrnians, however, are less strict on such principles than our ethnic Survaekom comrades, requiring only the washing of hands and the removal of shoes. For moral cleanliness, in addition to prayer, a Survaekom shall practice strict monogamy and a family self-reliance in all non-vital matters. Even noble families write their own documents and wait their own tables. The exception, of course, is in the invitation of guests, which is, in fact, quite common among us, as hospitality is also an aspect of moral cleanliness. Also, as you have witnessed, it is customary for all Survaekom to bow when giving greetings, farewells, commednations, and thanks. Byrnians also include other principles of moral cleanliness, such as refrain from carrying any arms or armor into the house of another, even small knives and covered brigandine.

Lastly, I shall mentioned a certain particularity of Survaekom vocabulary, which also applies to Byrnian. In formal and informal affairs alike, we do quite often and consistently refer to other people and groups as "good," "grand," and "noble." This is a simple matter of respect.

Now, if I have given a sufficient description, I would very much like to hear of the culture of the you noble Imeren."

9/23/2009 #53
Mindwarp

"First you should know that Imeren is a province of the Reaching Empire. As governor I have ultimate authority in the colony, but I am beholden to the High Council's authority. Our society is divided into three castes. Arrulin, my wife and I are all Arun, high nobles of the empire. As such we have the right to vote and speak in the high council." The governor lifted his right hand, which was covered by a beautifully embroidered red glove, with a circle-crown patterned along the back. "A red glove such as this is the mark of an Arun, and the term is also used to address one. Some of the other Ivisk you have met are Ikun, minor nobles belonging to the soldier caste. They wear black gloves with a crescent mark."

We worship Avisk, our goddess and foremother, though we acknowledge the gods of other peoples. Right now our temple is hardly worthy of the name, although that will change.

"As far as our values: Honor to one's mother and family name is paramount. Courtesy and proper respect towards higher castes is required, obviously."

9/24/2009 #54
AspenIvan

"Some of these values we can relate to ourselves. We hold to strict principles of family, community, and national loyalty. Every son must respect and submit to his father, every villager to his mayor, every Survaekom to the Emperor. We Byrnians differ slightly in that our villages are governed by councils and allow for popular sovereignty in legislation through town meetings, so we do not have an individual to which an entire community devotes special respect. However, we still retain loyalty to one another as a community, such as is also in ethnic Survaekom culture.

However, we Survaekom do not have a true caste system. Please, if you would not mind, do elaborate on this subject. How is caste determined? How must a lower caste show respect to a higher caste?"

9/24/2009 #55
Mindwarp

"We trace our lineage from mother to daughter." Unaram explained. "My mother is an Arun, and so I am. My wife's children will be Arun. Even if a female marries above her status, her children will retain her own caste. Moving from one caste to another is very rare. For an Ivisk to ascend to a higher caste requires that he distinguish himself and earn a job that carries with it the status, such as that of governor. Likewise, falling from a caste requires an act of great disgrace and shame, only the High Council can strip an Ivisk of his caste."

"Courtesy is a simple thing. We expect to be addressed by our proper titles of Ikun or Arun, and for lessors to maintain the proper level of courtesy in their manners and language."

9/24/2009 #56
AspenIvan

"At the risk of raising a sensitive question, where exactly do we foreigners fit in your caste system?" asked Gaunu.

9/24/2009 #57
Mindwarp

The governor smiled understandingly. It was a perfectly reasonable question, and one he expected sooner rather than later. He'd be happy to, hopefully, put Gaunu's worries to rest.

"The Reaching Empire's goal is to be the united government of the Ivisk. We prefer not to rule over other races unless we have to, the empire has gone out of its way to avoid the situation. As for your question: all foreign races fall under the title of free peoples within the empire. They lack several of the rights that citizens have, but are permitted to own property and are defended by the courts, and live as freely as they can. If there's a large population we usually give them incentives to move away."

9/24/2009 #58
AspenIvan

"A very wise and farsighted policy," the ambassador noted. "Clearly, it has served you well. Ours is different, but by no means superior.

The Grand Survaek Empire attempts to assimilate all foreigners, numbers large or small, into the empire. We allow for religious, cultural, and communal autonomy at the expense of national loyalty, in the form of taxes and military service. This is exactly what happened with my people, and I do testify as a Byrnian that it has brought us closer to the Survaekom, albeit gradually, than any one of us would have expected two hundred years ago, when the assimilation officially took place.

However, our system has had its failures, notably in the sad case of our neighboring Islanders. The divide was so great, their opposition to our offers of assimilation so brutal, that we were given no choice but to subjugate them to avoid further violence. They now live under the official designation of criminals, sentenced to slavery, which is the lesser of two evils, a necessary tyranny, given what would happen if we let them back into freedom."

9/24/2009 #59
Mindwarp

"Your empire must be very deliberate to undertake such effort." The Governor observed, glancing out the window. "Ah, time seems to have escaped me. It's late, and I'm sure your men will be wanting a full rest tonight before returning home, and I have buisiness to attend to also." He stood, offering his hand to the ambassador. "A prosperous time to you and yours, good ambassador."

9/24/2009 #60
« Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Mindwarp
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member