The Play's the Thing
A forum for aspiring playwrights of all ages and genres. If you’re stuck for ideas, wanting advice or are just in need of a chat, step inside…
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 Next »
Acton1842

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I've noticed that there isn't anywhere for playwrights to discus their ideas. So, here it is- the fist play specific forum on this site. I love talking about drama and this looks like as good a place as any to do so.

Let the madness begin…

9/21/2009 . Edited 4/1/2010 #1
Steve-0

What do you wanna talk about?

4/1/2010 #2
Acton1842

I don't know really...

Read/ been in any good plays lately..?

4/1/2010 #3
Steve-0

I saw Anton in Show Business by Jane Martin. It was awesome. It's a commentary about theatre told through the lives of 3 women who are doing Chekov's Three Sisters.

4/1/2010 #4
Acton1842

Sounds good. I really should know my Chehov better, I've never seen any of his work. I've recently read and been in (kinda) 'The Pilllowman' by Martin McDonagh. It's very good, becuase you think you know whats happening, or going to happen but then the narrative is turned on its head. There are a few 'what the f***!?' moments, but in a good way.

Wow, that was eloquent.

Shakespeare; yay or neigh?

4/2/2010 #5
Steve-0

I don't know that much Chekov either lol. I think I have seen a scene from "The Pillowman" during a directing class. As for Shakespeare I don't know it's love/hate. I don't think he's insanely original. Most of his shows are just historical reenactments. But I really liked The Tempest and As You Like It?

Neil Simon?

4/2/2010 #6
Acton1842

You're right. I don't think Shakespeare had single origional idea, even Hamlet was nicked from somewhere (I did a lot of Hamlet last year, the title of the forum is a quote from it). However, a vast amount of great literature is not origional. Think Milton's Paradice Lost which is basicaly, the Bible meets Dante's Inferno meets pro-regiside properganda. And, i'm not defining it as 'great' literature, but Harry Potter- not a single orgional idea and yet it is the most succesful series of books for a whole generation. Shakespeare's sucess lies not with his ideas but with the fact that he wrote about things that are still relevent nearly 400 years after his death. A production of the Tempest can be set in any time period and still make sense. As it is, I'm workshoping the Tempest now, playing Sebastian (I love him- 'he recieves comfort like cold poridge' is the best line!) and Stephano. I love Beatrice from As You Like It, if there's a production of it at uni I am so auditioning.

I have never seen a Neil Simon play, but the names do sound familiar (I admit, I had to look him up). It's sad, the only American writer I've really had the opertunity to look at is Arthur Miller. I loved The Crucible, but Death of a Salesman made me feel like weaping tears of blood, and not in a good way.

How about Woyzeck?

4/3/2010 #7
Emmy Elkee

I'm considering writing a zombie musical. Also, a musical about airship pirates. (Two different projects, not one. Though that would be awesome too. :D) Both would be steampunk....Worth considering? Would any aspring musicians/lyricists care to help me?

4/16/2010 #8
BalletGirl98

I love musicals,especially GREASE.

Grease is awesome!I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

5/30/2010 #9
Acton1842

Emmy, sorry for the late reply. Wow, i've never written a musical before (i suck at poetry and can bearly throw a few chords together on the piano so it think it's best if i avoid said art form) they sound quite out landish so i guess you would be going for the 'just have a good time and don't take me seriously aproach'? i say kudos to you for wanting to give it a try!

Nice to meet you Glee Freak- your name does kinda give away the fact that you love musicals. I saw Grease on the west end about the year ago; the shower scene was hilarious but the film is still much better. You may be able to answer this question- 'Love Never Dies'- yay or neigh?

sorry for late replys again! l x

5/30/2010 #10
Open your eyes Chopstick

Ahh Grease. That's just a classic. :)

"Love never dies"-- ya. True, dat. I think love might lessen, but die? No way.

Have any of you seen Wicked? Now, that was an EPIC play. I can't watch wizard of oz ever the same. lol.

Oh, and if any of you have time, i posted a play called "my name is." It was my first time writing it, so tell me what you think, okay? It's on my account. :)

6/24/2010 #11
Acton1842

Hello 'chopstick'. Nice to meet you.

Wicked- I agree is epic. Over here in London Lee Mead has just taken up a staring role in it. I wonder what other fellow Brits think of this. Wicked will always have a place in the history books over here.

Good luck with your play, l x

6/25/2010 #12
Open your eyes Chopstick

Ahh...over here in California, it's all over the radio. I only saw the play once, but I really want to see it again! I'm trying to convert my sister, who hates plays, to come watch it with me. I told her some of the funny lines in the play, and she's getting interested. :D

Oh, ands nice to meet you too Liz :)

6/25/2010 #13
Youthful Abandon

I've been in plenty of plays. I helped out with humor for a script once, and I think I will again sometime... soon.

7/7/2010 #14
Acton1842

Hello Lola. Do you have a favourite play that you've been in? Actually has anyone got a favourite performance they've been in/ seen and what is the craziest production you've been in? x

7/8/2010 #15
Youthful Abandon

Well, we've done some really bad, very cheesy plays. I was in Beauty and the Beast once. Our director switched some of the roles around so Maurice was a woman and a seamstress. I really liked that one. Oliver Twist and A Christmas Carol are close seconds.

7/8/2010 #16
Open your eyes Chopstick

I've only been in one "real" play....not counting the drama class ones, since only people in the drama class could see it, not parents or anyone else.

It was a peter pan story, with it's own twist. A musical. I was princess tiger lily's body guard. I only had 3 lines. lol. but it was still fun.

I've seen alot of plays since then. I think the best ones are the student written/directed plays. They're inspiring. :)

7/8/2010 #17
J.H. Fitzgerald

How about Woyzeck?Woyzeck is totally boss.

7/11/2010 #18
Acton1842

Woyzeck ate my brain. Seriously, I've not been 'in' it but I have work-shopped it. I spent the last 6 months doing a production concept for it (set all the scenes in the pub with the female charcters recast as barmaids). As far as crazy plays are rated i'd say that's pretty near the top.

That said, some students i know are currently trying to get their heads around 'Spurt of blood'

7/12/2010 #19
PianoMan921

I've seen the opera version of Wozeyk [spelled in the opera, "Wozzek] by Alben Berg but that doesn't count as a play now does it....

Anyway I'm in a production of The Crucible and it is the most fabulous play I've ever read/been in :)

11/30/2010 #20
Acton1842

There was a production of it at another college (I'm at Oxford, we have colleges, it's an odd system) a few weeks ago. I was so jealous; I've always wanted to play Mary Warren!

We were talking about musicals so Opera counts. I've never seen opera live, but I have seen bits of Madame Butterfly

I'm finally in a Chekhov play (see first posts) I'm in The Seagull and have all of one line, but it's still pretty cool

Which is better, a play with lost of stage dircetions or a play with very few?

I am still alive, just slow at replies, bear with...

x

12/10/2010 #21
PianoMan921

[on the stage directions comment] I think it depends. In plays from Shakespeare's day, when sets and special effects were very limited, the point of the play was that it allow the viewer's imagination to fill in the blanks, but if the author has a very specific idea of what he/she wants the play to be, then stage directions are a good idea.

12/16/2010 #22
PianoMan921

[on the stage directions comment] I think it depends. In plays from Shakespeare's day, when sets and special effects were very limited, the point of the play was that it allow the viewer's imagination to fill in the blanks, but if the author has a very specific idea of what he/she wants the play to be, then stage directions are a good idea.

12/16/2010 #23
Acton1842

True, but then I wonder; who has the most artistic licence, the writer or the director? A writer may have a very clear idea of how they want the play to look or what moments to highlight to the audience but what if the director has a diferent vision? If you're acting in a play and you disagree with a stage direction do you feel forced to act it that way? Who do you stay true to in a production?

It's one of the reasons I think Shakespeare is performed so often and by new directors is the lack of stage directions. All the information you need about time/ location is in the dialogue and so the director is free to provide their own interpretation and the actors can create the character themselves.

As a writer I find it hard to write stage directions as I believe the director and actors should be able to work it out for themselves, but I can see the value in providing an outline for the director. Maybe this is just an advocate for working in a more workshop style environment :)

12/17/2010 #24
Open your eyes Chopstick

im iffy on both. stage directions are nice for beginner directors, since all they have to do is follow the script, not think things out themselves. But, if the director is experienced, im sure he would want to have more flexability.

but, there can still be flexibility even with stage directions. i mean, let's say the stage direction says that the mc girl walks away. The director can do whatever he wants when it comes to how she walks away. You know?

oh, and hey....im directing a one act play i wrote at my school :)

have any of you guys been directors before? any tips? this is my first time directing.

12/18/2010 #25
BardofArcadia

I know that this forum is for play scripts, but I really need help with a movie script. Maybe ya'll can help me.

I want to write a fantasy/sifi movie script, but because I want to produce it myself I can only use resorces that I have. An 18-year-old male an an 11-year old girl are probably my only actors. For a setting it would be best if all the action took place in an average looking house and/or a forest. For props, I have two swords, a chainmail sack with germainic runes, and a Celtic chalice.

Due to my lack of proper equipment, I've been thinking about making something in the same style as the Blair Witch Project, but like I;ve said, I don't have any ideas for a good story. If someone could help me out I'd be really thankful.

12/30/2010 #26
Open your eyes Chopstick

camalot....do you know how to use green screen? special effects on the computer? what kind of movie maker do you have?

it could help to make the movie more fantasy/sci-fi, even with the limited equipment and actors.

and...what kind of fantasy/sci-fi do you like? there's different kinds. the stuff i like might be completely different then what you have in mind.

12/30/2010 #27
BardofArcadia

I have Magix Movie Edit Pro 17. No, I don't know how to use chromo key, but I'm trying to learn. And I love most fantasy/sifi, but I mostly enjoy fantasy in the swords-and-sorcery genre.

Thanks!

12/30/2010 #28
margaretkd

Has anyone seen or been in Aida? It's such a good play. I was just in it at my school.

2/12/2011 #29
TheArtfulJamie

Hello, all.

Shakespeare is brilliant. The way he winds words is so beautiful I want to kill people.

. . . Sorry. Had to start off somewhere. xD Anyroad, I've been trying to get myself to write a play for quite a while but I beat myself down every time I get close to starting out. I need my characters to be seamlessly connected and yet chaotic as hell, and I think it's understandable that I haven't yet found a way to make that work. I'd love to play around with Tennessee's whole memory/plastic theatre concept, because as a writer I generally lean towards the surreal anyway (though it's definitely more on the fantasy side of surreal than Williams was). Suggestions for any kind of excercise/prompt crap that may help me? :)

8/11/2011 #30
Page 1 2 Next »
Forum Moderators: Acton1842
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member