The Globe
Shakespeare and other stuff. The big kids club.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 13 .. Last Next »
sophiesix

yeah, the poor helpless human girl in need of protection from the all-decision-making vampire really bugged me. its true, Rob's Edwards does have a creepy stalker vibe :covers mouth with hand, don't let my cousin here that or she'll attack me with claws oustretched: I liked New Moon because she was learning to live without him, and Jacob didn't have that overbearingness. but yeah, breaking dawn was just... weird. heh heh, i won't get started on the Host or i'll go on all day...

11/27/2009 #61
The Lucy Program

When I read Twilight in eighth grade, I will admit, I became obsessed and a rabid Edward fangirl. It's embarrassing to admit, but there you are. I hated New Moon simply because it was focused on Jacob and Bella and I felt the books were supposed to be about Edward and Bella. I don't even remember Eclipse. It took me two weeks to read and I think it was all just filler, 'cause I don't remember anything about it.

By the time Breaking Dawn came out, I was a little older and a little less obsessed. I went to the midnight release and got the book, but I have to say, I really did not enjoy it. :P

And I don't love "Jacob", I love Taylor Lautner... there is a difference xD;

The Host, however... I really loved that one :) Although the obvious reluctance on touching on the "sex" issue while going there anyway was much like she did in Eclipse and BD, I have to say The Host was overall a much better read than the whole Twilight saga. :)

11/27/2009 . Edited 11/27/2009 #62
sophiesix

Sigh, yes, as engrossed as I was by Twilight, my Host obsession was what got me writing seriously so yeah, it's just.. great... but again, same issues with kind, 'selfless' (read, weak) female lead with sex issues. but, if she hadn't been so weak, i never would have felt the need to write miles and miles of fanfiction to fix it XD

11/27/2009 #63
The Lucy Program

Hahaha. I always try to make my females badass. X) But they're still women. My females can wear a dress to a party after having killed a whole army of marauding pirates that morning... or something like that. :) Lol

11/27/2009 #64
lookingwest

Yeah, New Moon really made me angry, but the thing for me was, (and this ESPECIALLY comes out in the movie) Bella in my opinion doesn't learn to live without him...she becomes completely psycho crazy about it. Like, she seriously starts seeing things, it becomes a mental illness in all respect, representing again, how weak and terrible it would be to have your boyfriend break up with you, and how it's okay to suffer, go crazy, cry every day and freak out for nine months as long as you keep your grades up, lol.

Oh and yeah, when I was obsessed, I was team Edward all the way, and I still am concerning the Rob vs. Taylor battle. Skinny pale runner-physique guys are my thing *looks at ectomorph boyfriend* yep. Pretty sure when it was Edward-wears-the-scarlet-bathrobe-for-ten-minutes-scene time in the movie I was pleasantly enthralled. XD

Fanfiction, sigh, good thing that's around, XD

11/27/2009 #65
lookingwest

Hahaha. I always try to make my females badass. X) But they're still women. My females can wear a dress to a party after having killed a whole army of marauding pirates that morning... or something like that. :) Lol

Yes. Female badass characters are awesome! Or stories where the girl actually swoops in and has to save the guy's ass, which is rare, but awesome when it occurs. I'm trying to do that with my girl characters in many different ways, especially in one story about balancing the whole obsessive dating game and still managing to contain a pseudo-feminist messages. It's really fun!

11/27/2009 #66
The Lucy Program

Yeah, in old stories from years ago, I didn't seem to understand that a badass female MC doesn't *have* to be a tomboy. I like to make strong women who can still be feminine. :) My character Mal in Mal'ethil used to be this real girly-girl, almost to the point of being air-headed, but bad decisions and abuse from her sister made her one of those I'm-tough-and-don't-show-emotion types. But right now she has to take care of this human kid Alicia for 9 years and I do believe Alicia is softening her up a bit ;)

11/27/2009 #67
sophiesix

heh heh now i can definitely wait til new moon comes out on video: how dare they suggest bella wasn't sort of getting over Edward? whats the point in the whole thing otherwise? there's no tension without that ingredient.

11/27/2009 #68
lookingwest

heh heh now i can definitely wait til new moon comes out on video: how dare they suggest bella wasn't sort of getting over Edward? whats the point in the whole thing otherwise? there's no tension without that ingredient.

True, I do remember the book having a slightly different take on her suggested 'illness'--as in: her getting over it, lol.

But right now she has to take care of this human kid Alicia for 9 years and I do believe Alicia is softening her up a bit ;)

That would do some softening...haha

11/27/2009 #69
Marie Silver

I prefer Jacob to Edward. I've never really liked Edward and I'm not sure what the obsession over him is. I also haven't see New Moon yet but I'm sure my mother (of all bloody people) will drag me to it.

I have some tough-as-nails female characters and some girly ones too. Most of them fall in the middle. I just try to make sure they're well characterised and have a personality (unlike a certain brunette).

11/27/2009 #70
lookingwest

I have some tough-as-nails female characters and some girly ones too. Most of them fall in the middle. I just try to make sure they're well characterised and have a personality (unlike a certain brunette).

XD You know, I really didn't like how Bella didn't have a sense of fashion or care--I mean, have some decency girl! Meyer couldn't convince me that a girl wouldn't think twice about what she was wearing before going on her date with an extremely attractive vampire. Geezers.

At least my women know how to dress themselves, I believe there was a particular scene in one of the Twilight books when Bella actually put on a frumpy giant pink sweater with kahkis from the 1990s and walked outside to go greet Eward *PUKE*, and then in the movie Kristen Stewart becomes the new indie clothing model. Blah, how bizarre.

The woman character in my story INSIWB was once a rock star, directly inspired through Yeah Yeah Yeahs music. Think Karen O, when I was at this concert, I was freaking out, pretty sure I vowed that at least one of my characters would be as badass as Karen O: Check out this outfit: (The bass audio is pretty bad though, so watch out)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBF2vCGXeC4&feature=related

The Yeah Yeah Yeahs--a boat of inspiration. XD

11/27/2009 #71
The Lucy Program

You didn't like how Bella had no sense of style, and I didn't like how she had no PERSONALITY. What a boring creature she was!! XD

11/27/2009 #72
xenolith

Karen O is hot.

Bella is yawn.

Jacob is abs-tastic.

11/27/2009 #73
Kagennotsuki

Blah, I never read Twilight, so there's an entire page of messages where I'm just scratching at my head and saying, "Umm.... wha?"

But badass female characters are badass. I want the girl with the shadow in my story to be awesome in a quiet sort of way, if that makes any sense.

11/27/2009 #74
lookingwest

You didn't like how Bella had no sense of style, and I didn't like how she had no PERSONALITY. What a boring creature she was!! XD

The movie could fix the fashion, but the personality was deemed unfixable, XD

11/27/2009 #75
xenolith

The monotone! And the blinking! I agree with a lot of points you guys made here, and I think New Moon is horrible in the fact that she gets so depressed after he leaves. Then again, it's romance in the extreme with all the hormones and the supernatural factor. But... it's also unhealthy. Extremely unhealthy. I started writing a twilight all human fanfic where Edward leaves and Bella is so lost she kills herself. Its like... ugh... I don't know. Wrong. Ergo, my love of Jacob who is right!

Just my opinion anyways. In other news, I'm on a review-a-thon today! Just need refreshments... and warmth...

11/27/2009 #76
sophiesix

happy reviewing!

11/27/2009 #77
Marie Silver

I just wanted to slap Bella in New Moon and tell her to move on and get a life.

I've been writing on and off all day to catch up with NaNo. Now I'm only, oh, 7,000 words behind. I've done 3k so far and want another 1,000 words by the end of the day (or rather before I go to bed since its one in the morning here). In good news though, I should finish the story tonight - yay!

11/27/2009 #78
lookingwest

I've been trying so hard to get a chapter four up for one of my stories but it's really frustrating me, I've kept going back to it all day and have only succeeded in deleting things, haha. On top of that, I've got some uncompleted homework and such, so in the back of my mind I know that's what I should be doing.

Happy writing to you Marie, and happy reviewing for Xen!

11/27/2009 #79
sophiesix

Congrats! LOVE that finished book feeling :)

11/27/2009 #80
Kagennotsuki

I've got homework to do, too. But I'd much rather write. But I'm stuck. And.... I really ought to stop beginning my sentences with conjunctions. Good luck, xenolith!

11/27/2009 #81
xenolith

Thanks, but I got sidetracked by Glee. Ontoit now though! And Marie, yay! Almost finished! Exclamation Mark!

11/27/2009 #82
Kagennotsuki

I don't mean to be hogging the forum limelight by posting everywhere at once, but I just got finished playing violin and was wondering if anyone else here plays an instrument.

11/27/2009 #83
The Lucy Program

I wish. I would give everything I own to be able to play the piano.

11/27/2009 #84
lookingwest

Oh! I play the violin! Yay violin players! But I'm no prodigy at it, unfortunately. I play because I love to play, even though I'm not that great, haha. Yay violin players!

11/27/2009 #85
Kagennotsuki

Hurray! Chapter 5 is almost done.

By the way, I was having a discussion with a friend and I was wondering what you all thought of this. Which do you prefer: Marshmallows or pinwheels?

Personally I'm a marshmallow man. For one thing, you can eat them. More importantly, you can light them on fire and still eat them. Even more importantly, you can light them on fire, warm yourself with the flame, and then eat them. You can't eat a pinwheel, but my friend says she doesn't care (She doesn't like eating anyhow. Blasphemous!).

11/28/2009 #86
lookingwest

Ah but you CAN eat a pinwheel.

It's called a pinwheel wrap, you take a slice of ham, you put cream cheese on it, and then you wrap that in a dill pickle, then you slice them into little bite size pinwheels. They are my favorite holiday treat. I vote pinwheel!...they are also called buttholes if you want to be vulgar about it, XD

11/28/2009 #87
The Lucy Program

It's called a pinwheel wrap, you take a slice of ham, you put cream cheese on it, and then you wrap that in a dill pickle, then you slice them into little bite size pinwheels. They are my favorite holiday treat.

You lost my interest at the cream cheese and pickle, sorry. XD I'm going to have to go with marshmallows on this one :]

11/28/2009 #88
xenolith

Marshmallows! Puffly love, I like the white ones :)

(figured since I'm owning the rest of the place, might as well post here as well! POW! No... yeah, POW!)

11/28/2009 #89
Kagennotsuki

Marshmallows: 3

Pinwheels: 1

Any more takers? (Or have we run out of people in the forum? Haha) ;p

11/29/2009 #90
« Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 13 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: xenolith sophiesix, lookingwest
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member