The Globe
Shakespeare and other stuff. The big kids club.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 .. Last Next »
sophiesix

And then my other couple, the issue is not getting them together, the issue is getting them to not jump in bed together so quickly we don't see them for the blur (Anhelia and her eventual love interest).

lol! i can just see that. looking forward to it! XD

yeah, my girl is normally very much a go-getter, she even worked as one of those communist seductress against things, that seduce secrets out of state enemy men, but somehow when it comes to this guy she has nothing but excuses. i think its because everyone expects her to try and seduce him, and that arks her up. so she's stuck with a guy thats too hung up and inhibited to make the first move (besides which he's still a bit wary of her being a communist), and she's determined not to come off as slutty, and... yeah, i should quit harping. Just have to find a situation where his lust will overcome his brakes XD, and that doesn't seem too manufactured.

I tried having her come back from the dead to shock him into action, and he still managed to back out of it. I think he was too shocked XD Now he's trying to send her to Vladivostok. I managed to get him to agree to giving her a weeks stay. So. they've got a week.

:glares harder at plot egg:

:egg quails:

4/14/2010 #301
Matthew J. Brown

Sometimes a time limit will do the trick -- the thought of "If I make excuses any longer, I'll miss my chance forever" ...

In my first draft of what will now be book 2, Anhelia and her girlfriend Soot are in bed together within about five chapters and moved in together in about two chapters more. I swear, that's practically fantasy-world equivalent of the lesbian joke about the second date being the U-Haul. I'm wondering whether I should slow things up a little there. Of course, they have the madly-in-love problem of only then having to work out all their issues, and boy are there issues.

4/14/2010 #302
sophiesix

looking forward to reading it! sometimes it seems fast paced in the telling, but in the reading of it, it just fits.

Sometimes a time limit will do the trick -- the thought of "If I make excuses any longer, I'll miss my chance forever" ...

hmm, of course, from his point of view, thats exactly what he's aiming for, missing his chance that is. at least, part of him is. The time limit has work for her, in a sense, in that it has made her face up to the issue, but law it takes two to tango, and he's such a bloody fart. alright, i will stop ranting and do my darn statistics! XD

4/14/2010 #303
Matthew J. Brown

Well, there is always alcohol, if you have to — the old favorite inhibition-breaker. A bit of a cop-out, though.

4/14/2010 #304
sophiesix

Well thats exactly it. i'll take a cop out if thats all i can come up with, but... :/ He does use a fair bit of morphine... maybe he can be a bit 'altered' on that... gar.

Poo, my last stats didn't work. hmmm... oh i know!

4/14/2010 . Edited 4/14/2010 #305
Matthew J. Brown

It's a good thing my Anhelia and Soot don't need that, because neither of them is capable of drinking alcohol, one being undead, the other being an artificial person.

4/14/2010 #306
sophiesix

heh heh they'd have to find a real way out of the dilemna - lucky they are both gogetters then ;)!

4/14/2010 #307
Matthew J. Brown

Definitely. I think they're too stubborn to be arm-twisted into things anyway ...

4/14/2010 #308
xenolith

Can we gripe about writer's block here?

I feel like it's relevant since it is blocking my progress on anything I actively try to think about, like my unfinished stories. And yet I can ramble on about anything else that comes into my head!

Does anyone have any good challenge websites, links to blogs, or tips to overcomming this kind of thing?

4/21/2010 #309
Matthew J. Brown

Old advice but good: don't stare at the blank sheet of paper or empty word-processor file. Anything's better than that.

Try and work out if you know why you're blocking. For example, stressful circumstances, etc. Beware about looking too hard for an excuse, though.

Try changing up your circumstances. Is it just too full of distractions at home? Have you tried writing by hand instead of a computer, or the reverse? Have you tried going to coffee-shops to write, or sitting in the park, or ...?

Write something not intended for your stories you have currently going. Drop some of your favorite characters in a silly or stressful situation and just play with them. You're not interested in publishing this, so don't sweat it; let them talk, let them be silly, let the prose be embarrassing if it so chooses.

4/21/2010 #310
xenolith

Thanks Matthew, I'll have a try of that character thing, never thought of doing something like that.

And I know what's wrong, I've recently had a very traumatic experience and I'm ignoring it so I can function. I remember reading the nanowrimo guy, Chris I think his name is, saying about how you should go for a walk and think about your writing, so maybe I'll try that as well!

4/21/2010 #311
lookingwest

Old advice but good: don't stare at the blank sheet of paper or empty word-processor file. Anything's better than that.

XD, I disagree!

Try to write something every night, even if it's something irrelevant and you ramble on an on, something might come out of it. And sitting in front of a blank document is at least thinking about something--I sit for hours and only write a sentence on INSIWB some times (that's really my problem recently too).

Then again I'm one of those writers who has decided not to believe in writer's block. There's always some sort of rambling thing that can be written down. Walks work for me though--actually driving. I daydream about my stories a lot when I drive with music :)

4/21/2010 #312
Matthew J. Brown

All advice for this is personal, of course — I just find that staring at blankness is incredibly uninspiring when stuck. Better to fill it with anything, yes — it doesn't have to be good, writing is better than not-writing. Not every day will you be up to writing masterpieces, but writing is at least keeping those mental muscles exercising.

4/21/2010 #313
Matthew J. Brown

I get all my best ideas for my fiction when driving, or in the shower, or before I go to sleep or when waking up, or on walks — that's when the plot connections pop up.

4/21/2010 #314
xenolith

Then again I'm one of those writers who has decided not to believe in writer's block.

Woo that's so righteous I love it. The rambly stuff I'm okay with, it's easy, even though most of the time what you're writing is awul there's value in the act of writing, yeah? And instead of staring at a blank page I write other things, I blog a lot, or read something.

It's just these ongoing threads of ideas, I can't pick them up and put them together.

4/21/2010 #315
lookingwest

It's just these ongoing threads of ideas, I can't pick them up and put them together.

That's what's been especially challenging for me with INSIWB in these next two chapters I'm trying to write. I knew where I wanted to go--but Jude's been giving me much difficulty that I hadn't reckoned for when I'd started the story.

I figured out it's because I ran into a vampire problem that I've never had before. Since I handle the vampires in VATR as ones who don't kill when they drink blood, there was less of a creepy "I'm-over-come-with-blood-lust-and-will-now-have-to-kill-you" trope with Caleb's romancing of Penny...

But with Jude, ah yikes, I'm dancing a VERY fine line of non-creepy honest romance...and it's been taking me ages to work out the balance.

So I know where I want to go, but I don't want Mr. Edwin Cullard's creepy--OK yeah let's face it I would never consider dating Jude either...XD Awwwww crap. I wrote him even more unstable than...ughhh...OK, I talked myself into an epiphany...XD, THANK YOU GLOBE!

4/21/2010 #316
xenolith

Haha I'm going to take credit for that.

You're welcome :D

I love and adore Caleb, btw. Oh and I saw a book today called Jude The Obscure by Hardy, I think, and immediately I thought yay Jude! I think it was called Jude the Obscure. Hmm.

4/21/2010 #317
Matthew J. Brown

My middle name is Jude -- I've always wondered which fictional Jude I was named after, but my parents aren't telling. Probably the Beatles.

4/21/2010 #318
lookingwest

Probably the Beatles.

I've always like the name Jude but in my story, when I ran out of names for Jude's brother and sister, I named them after the Beatles too, XD--Elanor and Maxwell.

Awesome lack of creativity, but I've recently been told that women have none...so...

XD

4/21/2010 #319
xenolith

Heck, he must have really got on your nerves!

We should get our torches, and pitchforks... or not. Anyway, wrong topic.

I pinch names from stories and music all the time. Nothing is original, anyways. At least... I think.

4/22/2010 #320
sophiesix

well, if you have a really original name, its too weird for people to relate to. an obscure copied name is hence good... like jude... the obscure... XD teh movie was good (i really should read the book, i know. i think i started it, but it was even more depressing than teh movie)

hi yall!

4/23/2010 #321
sophiesix

and yeah, i second walking for plot knots etc. cept you have to go with a pen and paper else your receipts get covered in gibberish

4/23/2010 #322
Matthew J. Brown

you have to go with a pen and paper else your receipts get covered in gibberish

Exactly! And it's really embarrassing when you can't make head nor tail of your own scrawl.

4/23/2010 #323
xenolith

Haha I have so much to learn.

I have a notebook but I'm too scared to take it anywhere in case I loose it. That would be bad.

4/23/2010 #324
lookingwest

I stick to computer, I can never get my thoughts down fast enough for paper and pen, I never feel like I'm being detailed enough.

I used to be able to do poetry on paper and pen, but I don't even do that anymore -_-

Speaking of which, I need to crank out another few poems for this months poetry slam! Bah, I'm swamped with creative-writing this week!

4/23/2010 #325
Indestructible13

heh, obscure copied names are pretty much all I ever use XD

4/23/2010 #326
Jealous Rage

I usually stick to names of people I know, mixed in with names that I just like.

4/23/2010 #327
lookingwest

I usually stick to names of people I know, mixed in with names that I just like.

+1

There are so many people whose names I borrow...I think I have a million John and Joe's ready to die on the front lines, XD, always based on my friends Joe and John, haha

4/23/2010 #328
xenolith

Yeah, names of people you know are readily available, means you don't have to think about it too much. Which is great!

4/23/2010 #329
sophiesix

i dunno, i always think they're gonna think that i stole their soul or something for my fiction: "is that what you really think of me? What EXACTLY is it about that character that meant it needed to be named after me?" i don't wanna go down that path so i try and avoid the names of people I know, unless i know a fair few people of that name, so its not so excruciatingly 'theirs'. teh phone book is fair game though, i get stuck in such a rut with last names :)

4/23/2010 #330
« Prev Page 1 .. 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: xenolith sophiesix, lookingwest
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member