The Globe
Shakespeare and other stuff. The big kids club.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 20 .. Last Next »
lookingwest

Radiohead is mine. Nina Simone is definitely up there on my favourites (probably number two, actually), but Radiohead makes me shiver like crazy and listening to their music is like listening to it for the first time, every time. Sounds dramatic, but the albums OK Computer and Hail To The Thief literally changed my life. No doubt about it, those are my two favourite albums ever.

I noticed all of your Radiohead quotes on your Character Specs page. You took a lyric that inspired me to just throw in some Kings and Queens into my story, XD, the "When I am King, you will be first against the wall" or whatever, MAN I love Radiohead too! *sings Wolf At The Door*

Really? That came out of left field. I don't know why, though. I'm not a huge fan of Wu-Tang and Dethklok is only a once in a blue moon thing for me. It's not a serious relationship or anything. We're pretty casual, actually. =P

I like weeeirrd stuff--Beastie Boys, Wu-Tang, Boogie Down Productions, A Tribe Called Quest, Deltron, ect. Most of that is blame on Boyfriend though, I will admit, he opened me up to a lot of genres I just never listened to. I mean, he even got me listening to Team Dresch and Bikini Kill o.O

- A Silver Mt. Zion – Blown-out Joy From Heaven's Mercied Hole:

A Silver Mt. Zion has seriously been my favorite band of this last year, I love everything they do, every album, amazing. And a lot of it is just great to listen to as well. I have a friend who got me into them, and he has a tattoo from one of their album covers too XD If I were to get a tattoo, I'd consider something that has relation to these guys. A Silver Mt. Zion to Emily is like Radiohead to Liana, hahaha

7/2/2010 #271
lookingwest

- Don't know song title, sorry: This was a pretty awesome song, actually. Christmas is my favourite holiday (regardless of me not being Christian), so I loved the Christmas vibe.

Was that on an earlier page?! I like it too, even despite me not being Christian too, hahaha. Well...that could have something to do with my birthday being on Dec. 20th but...um... :D Anyway, it kind of reminded me of some songs on the Everything Is Illuminated soundtrack, like:

Sunflowers

Aw, now I wanna watch/read that movie/book again, haha

7/2/2010 #272
C. Tattiana H-H

I noticed all of your Radiohead quotes on your Character Specs page. You took a lyric that inspired me to just throw in some Kings and Queens into my story, XD, the "When I am King, you will be first against the wall" or whatever, MAN I love Radiohead too! *sings Wolf At The Door*

Yeeah, I'm deeply in love with Radiohead, I'll admit. Ha-ha.

I like weeeirrd stuff--

I listen to a lot of different genres of music, too, so I don't know why it always surprises me when other people are the same way. But I must admit, your taste in music is widely varied. I love it though, you've introduced me to a lot of great music already.

A Silver Mt. Zion to Emily is like Radiohead to Liana, hahaha

Ha-ha. It's easy to see why.

Today's pick: The Killing Moon by Nouvelle Vague

Side note: My responses for the older pages won't be as epic as the previous one. It's a little tiring, actually, so I'll just do a brief summary with notes about the songs. Off to do some research now, though. I'll be back tomorrow with more musical thoughts.

7/2/2010 #273
xenolith

Wow... that was an epic response :D :D

I'm just going to put this out there, you guys should totally get married. Whenever I meet anyone who likes my favourite band, I just want to marry them I'm so happy. Doesn't happen very often.

Never actually in person, either lol.

Aaaaaand I have some catching up to do!

7/2/2010 #274
lookingwest

I'm just going to put this out there, you guys should totally get married. Whenever I meet anyone who likes my favourite band, I just want to marry them I'm so happy. Doesn't happen very often.

I know right? Liana, we would so get along in RL, it would be awesome, haha, at least we are on the same continent? :D

7/2/2010 #275
C. Tattiana H-H

Was that on an earlier page?!

I always miss something somehow, even though I know I've read it. Yeah it was on the first page. Or perhaps the second. One or the other. I think Sophie linked it, but I'm not entirely sure.

I'm just going to put this out there, you guys should totally get married.

I know right? Liana, we would so get along in RL, it would be awesome, haha, at least we are on the same continent? :DHow do you feel about a spring wedding? ;)

Sunflowers: This beginning of this song was really calming. It's definitely an interesting piece, I just don't know how I feel about it overall.

7/3/2010 #276
C. Tattiana H-H

Before I forget.

King Rat by Modest Mouse – Brilliant song. Brilliant video. Nuf said.

Bathysphere by Smog – New favourite.

Bathysphere (cover) by Cat Power – Really good version. I was delightfully surprised.

7/3/2010 #277
C. Tattiana H-H

Summary of songs I checked out from 2nd & 3rd pages

Scheherazade violin solos by Michel Schwalbe: Uhm, yes please. Yes, yes, yes. The violin is one of those instruments I adore. I mean sure, other instruments are great and all, but there's something so much more emotional about them. It just goes straight to the core of you and rips you apart, you know? You don't need lyrics with the violin. If you listen carefully enough you'll hear them. Their sound is just so overwhelming. God, I get crazy shivers every time I hear them. Then again, I've heard a view clarinet and flute solos that were pretty bad ass, but I still think violin takes the cake.

I Woke Up Today by Port O'Brien: Love it. Absolutely wonderful. The song was high energy and the video was rather creative. Actually reminded me a little of The Receptionist over at YouTube (you should check out his videos btw, especially Harry Palms).

The River by Missy Higgins: What a beautiful voice. I really liked this one. Very soothing.

Hospital Beds by Cold War Kids: I really felt this one. I'll have to listen to it a few more times to really dig it, but yeah, I enjoyed this one.

Hypnotize by The White Stripes: I forgot about this song. Love it. The White Stripes are amazing.

Bowerbirds – Beneath Your Tree/They Shoot Music: The accordion gave me shivers. I really like the woman's voice, and when they harmonized their voices, it was beautiful. Another song I really like. Excellent picks, guys.

Cursive Art is Hard: Yes and no. I really liked the beginning, but then... I don't know. Wasn't me. I really liked it around 1:58, though. Hmm, another song to listen to over again.

Stuck Here For Days by Datsuns: My goodness, I like this man's nose. (I have a thing for noses, don't judge me). I really like his voice, as well, but considering I couldn't stop staring at his nose it's difficult to say whether I really liked the song or not.

A Place Called Home by PJ Harvey: Beautiful voice. Yeah, I really like this one. This is definitely going on a playlist. When did this song come out? It has an almost 90's feel to it.

The Whores Hustle And The Hustlers Whore by PJ Harvey: She had me at the song title. I especially love her voice in this one. Wow. Yeah, definitely loving this woman.

Paper Planes by M.I.A.: I loved this woman before Slumdog, alright? I was down with the M.I.A. vibe waaay before she became huge. URAQT, Bingo, Amazon... shit, the entire Arular album! But yeah, this is a GREAT song. Always gets my head bopping and shoulders swinging along. While we're here, I'ma link you to two of my favourite songs from her: Hombre and 10 Dollar.

Smile by Lily Allen: Lily Allen is so cute. I remember this video. It's a really great song. I especially love the spread on her bed. Ha-ha. Not down with the orange, though. My friend has an orange coloured bathroom and it's really weird. Every time I go to take a piss at her house, I feel really weird. Orange is such a strange colour for a bathroom. Really f's up someone's mood. =/

Ladies of the World by Flight of the Conchords: lmfao, I actually have never seen this one. Oh my god, this is beautiful. Love the outfits boys. I've heard the song, but never watched the episode/video. Did he seriously just do the splits? Oh my god, even I can't do the splits. This is amazing. LMFAO @ 3:40. I love 4:25+ Wow, that made my day. Ha-ha, thanks guys!

Bliss by Th'Dudes: The dude in the blue blazer is intense. Good song.

The Fox, The Crow and The Cookie by Me Without You: These guys remind me of The Receptionist, as well. I never realized how many people used that style for their sets. Interesting video, but didn't really dig the song.

Hard Times by Patric Wolf: Amazing costume piece, meet wicked makeup and hairstyle. Who is this man and why am I only meeting him now? I want to say he reminds me of David Bowie, but he doesn't really. It's more the flamboyance and blond hair. No one has anything on David Bowie, btw. This was an awesome video. I love all the visuals, and he has a really good voice. He's also kind of pretty. Not my type of pretty, but pretty nonetheless.

Sheila Take a Bow by The Smiths: It's hit and miss with The Smiths for me. I love his voice, but I didn't really dig this one. Still great band, though.

Bad Education by Tilly and the Wall: Creative performance. I'm not crazy about it, but I can respect the skill behind this. They have nice voices but I'd have to listen to more of them to decide whether or not I like them.

Hot on Your Heels by Mint Chicks: And yet another wicked creative video. I love the guitar in this one. Yup, this one's a win. It had a sorta [can't remember] on the Radio vibe to it.

Electric Feel (Justice Remix) by MGMT: Not a fan of MGMT, so I really didn't feel this one.

The Neverending Story: Seriously? Who linked this one? I'll have to go back and look. I totally forgot about this song. What a crazy hairstyle, holy crap. Even his facial expressions are comical. Ha-ha. Good song, though. I haven't watched that movie in forever.

Cocomo by The Beach Boys: Good song, but such a strange video.

Artax dies in the Swamp of Sadness: Alright, who linked this? Oh god, I'm so depressed now. Thanks guys. Think I'll go cry into my pillow now.

The Dream by Trinity Roots: Definitely dug this one. New Zealand reggae band? That's pretty wicked.

Hellsing OST Track 1: I love soundtracks. Especially anime ones. My favourite anime soundtrack is definitely Cowboy Bebop. All of it is just marvellous. The Seatbelts (the band that does the majority of the songs for CB) are brilliant. I really liked this song. Excellent pick.

I'm Shipping Up To Boston... by Dropkick Murphys: I love the Irish(?) feel. Unfortunately, I'm not a huge Dropkick Murphys fan, though.

28 Days Later – East Hastings: I really liked the second movie. Can't remember how I felt about the first one, but that must say something, though. Ha-ha. Loved the drums, guitar and strings in this. Pretty decent song, overall. Actually, no. This is a damn good song. Really getting some inspiration from this one. The build up is subtle and I love that.

Goodbye Desolate Railyard – The Silver Mt. Zion: Saving the best for last, of course. Right off the bat I love his voice (that's strange that he's self-conscious about it. I quite like the way he sounds). Every time I see B&W clips, I wonder where everyone went who looked like that. You know what I mean? It's not just the clothes or the lack of colour. There's something about the men's facial structures and the tones of their voices that's so different from the way it is now. I don't really know how to describe it, but yeah. I don't know if they intended anyone to feel this way, but when I saw all the women walking in groups, I couldn't help but think of some sort of woman's rights gathering. Perhaps I'm just in one of those moods. I like the guy at 6:10. Man, I love these guys. They have a wonderful feel to their music. You can sit and listen to it, or just play it in the background. Either way it's inspiring. I definitely need to work on a playlist for them and sit down to do some writing with them playing in the background. It'd be interesting to see what I come up with. Speaking of which, I really need to work on my submission for WCC. Oops. Anyway, great song. Another brilliant pick. Damn, you guys listen to some excellent music. Glad I found my way over to this.

Okay, so this did turn out to be rather epic. Sorry.

7/3/2010 . Edited 7/3/2010 #278
lookingwest

Hard Times by Patric Wolf: Amazing costume piece, meet wicked makeup and hairstyle. Who is this man and why am I only meeting him now? I want to say he reminds me of David Bowie, but he doesn't really. It's more the flamboyance and blond hair. No one has anything on David Bowie, btw. This was an awesome video. I love all the visuals, and he has a really good voice. He's also kind of pretty. Not my type of pretty, but pretty nonetheless.

My favorite album by his is Wind In The Wires, I shared it with Jess and she liked it too ^^ Here's another song from that album I like:

The Libertine

That was the first song I heard by him, fell in love, XD

7/3/2010 #279
lookingwest

Oh and sorry for spamming with Patrick Wolf, but I just liked this music video, XD, the song also reminds me of the 4th of July for obvious reasons, though I know that in the UK there is not a 4th of July, hahaha

Bluebells

7/3/2010 #280
sophiesix

partic wolf is kinda slinky looking, like david bowie does somteimes. mm, labyrinth...

and yeah, *owns up* the neverending story would be me. man i loved that movie :)

hope your 4th July is good. we had cracker night on the 1st and its was hellish. there was 20 tonnes of backyards fireworks going off in one night. like a friggin war zone. am definately high tailng it out of here next year!

7/3/2010 #281
sophiesix

mm, maybe its the cheekbones. cetrainly a bigger resemblance when he goes blonde though.

oh man! he is david bowie!

check out this picture of young david bowie:

therollcall.wordpress.com/2008/04/

(about 3/4 of teh way down the page)

its patrick wolf!

7/3/2010 #282
sophiesix

mm, maybe its the cheekbones. cetrainly a bigger resemblance when he goes blonde though.

oh man! he is david bowie!

check out this picture of young david bowie:

therollcall.wordpress.com/2008/04/

(about 3/4 of teh way down the page)

its patrick wolf!

7/3/2010 #283
lookingwest

XD, I love David Bowie, I just watched for some random reason, the intro to the cult vampire goth film he's in called The Hunger, last night. And yeah, Wolf is compared to Bowie quite a bit ^^ He's got a lot of different styles from his first album, Lycanthropy, to The Magic Position, to his latest, The Bachelor. Basic transitions: brown hair, black hair, red hair, blond hair, XD

Man, I want to watch The Labyrinth again, Bowie made being a Goblin King really badass. Besides the um...part where he's tossing that baby into the air and singing that stupid song...hahaha

7/3/2010 #284
C. Tattiana H-H

@Sophie - I can't remember how I felt about Neverending Story. It certainly is a classic, but I haven't watched it in forever so I'm not entirely sure. Did you link the Swamp of Sadness one as well?

Besides the um...part where he's tossing that baby into the air and singing that stupid song...hahaha

lmfao.

Pic of David Bowie 3/4 way down screen: My goodness, did ya'll see that Mr. Loin Cloth photo? Ha-ha. David Bowie is so awesome.

The Libertine by Patrick Wolf: Great song. I really enjoyed that one.

Bluebells by Patrick Wolf: He is very slinky, isn't he? I much prefer him with this hair. -nods- Yes, this look suits him. The blond's nice as well, but I like this one better.

Here's a The Receptionist video I really enjoy. The ending made me go 'Ick', but the song is just so great. Ha-ha. Check it out: Harry Palms by The Receptionist

7/4/2010 #285
SilverBluu

I was in the middle of editing One plus One when I was reminded of this song. I did a video search and the song takes some time to start. But I like how it starts. "Hey. Where are you from? .... Where are you going?"

Song of the moment: Take Me To The Riot by Stars

7/6/2010 . Edited 7/6/2010 #286
C. Tattiana H-H

No you didn't. Oops. Ha-ha. I'll just search it. =P

7/6/2010 #287
SilverBluu

Sorry, I tried to link it but apparently it does not allow the address. Its poor quality on youtube unfortunately

7/6/2010 #288
xenolith

Okay, so I'm slowly catching up and I just want to say... that Patrick Wolf guy is a real cutie pie! With his suspenders, and his wee boots XD

Thanks guys, for introducing me to more strange music.

7/6/2010 #289
C. Tattiana H-H

that Patrick Wolf guy is a real cutie pie! With his suspenders, and his wee boots XD

Isn't he? My goodness.

Whoa, guys. We're almost at the 7th page. I really need to finish reading the 4th through earlier-6th pages before this happens.

Take Me To The Riot by Stars – This song was pretty good. I really liked the female singer.

7/7/2010 #290
Jealous Rage

A character in a story I just started working on was heavily inspired by this song:

Another Whiskey by Kyle Turley

From a lyrical standpoint, the song just came togther perfectly with the character as I was writing him. The character, who is a former big-time warrior-type guy from a long time ago, now lives a quiet life as a kind of small-time country/rock musician who lives in Nashville and basically just plays small bar gigs. Truthfully, he was somewhat inspired by the singer, Kyle Turley; wikipedia the guy and you'll see what I mean.

7/7/2010 #291
SilverBluu

It seems that I keep planning future scenes with music as a back-drop instead of actually writing them. I promise I'll get around it eventually n.n . Today's song of the moment goes to another planned future scene for Kaleidoscope :

Young London by Angels and Airwaves

Hopefully the link works.

7/9/2010 #292
lookingwest

Kyle Turley

I like how they make the keyboard seen badass, and also, that man with the dogs was freaky, but it was a great ending when you find out he was blathering through the dark with those hounds trying to find the band, XD Missed the concert dude.

Angels and Airwaves

I have not listened to them since their debut album with The Adventure! o: I like this one, takes me back to high school summer days actually, for me...:D

7/9/2010 #293
lookingwest

My drops:

On Tour With Zykos by Okkervil River--I like how it's narrated by the lead singer but the perspective is from a girl, it's cool--and heart breaking, but I love the end...just a good story, I think. (PS. This youtube video is kind of hilarious, because...I don't even know--this person just puts a puppy up as a picture for no reason. DO NOT WATCH, just listen while doing other things, XDXD)

And then something happier (ish) since we're on the topic of Patrick Wolf. Here is another guy with questionable sexuality, but also the hair that I tried to describe for Kit and probably failed. XD, it's hard to describe!!! He's so cute though...*le sigh*

Rain by Mika

Everyone might know Mika ^^ His Grace Kelly song was HUGE. I hadn't seen this music video until today though, haha.

PS. He also kind of reminds me of Freddy Mercury. He's got that...I dunno...okay leaving, haha

7/9/2010 . Edited 7/9/2010 #294
dx713

TAT on a loop to encourage me finishing part I of "Five ways to mess" before the holidays.

With the added bonus that Tatiana Demaria's one of my models for Samantha Tyler. Except she's a tall brunette while Sam's a short blonde. And Sam's forte is her voice, while Tatiana seems to have voice slips more often than guitar slips. And that I know nothing at all about Tatiana's non-stage persona. And there's a big age gap between the two. Actually they're most probably nothing alike except in my head but...

Okay, this was more of a post to show that I'm still alive than anything else.

7/10/2010 #295
C. Tattiana H-H

I can't locate a link for it, but anyone who can find it I highly suggest checking out Feist's Open Season remix album. The remix of Gatekeeper is pretty badass, I must say.

7/14/2010 #296
xenolith

Feist is wonderful!

I've been a big ball of enthusiasm about the season premier to this local TV show right, and then what do I find at the tail end of it? THE VEILS! Well, the song was credited to Finn Andrews, but it's off their latest album Sun Gangs which I haven't found yet but will somehow aquire if it kills me. So happy.

Sit down by the fire

And because I mentioned this before but didn't link it, I give you one of my all time favourite songs:

Not Yet

7/15/2010 #297
xenolith

@ Smog, Modest Mouse, Okkervile River

GOOD! Why haven't I been listening to these things sooner? My gosh.

7/15/2010 #298
C. Tattiana H-H

If you guys haven't heard of Zero 7, I highly recommend checking out their sound. Their latest album isn't as good as their previous ones, in my humble opinion, but their older ones are definitely worth listening to.

Today's Pick: End Theme by Zero 7

Random suggestion: If you love music, allmusic.com is a wonderful site to check out. It has a wonderful database of thousands of artists which include biographies, discographies, song info, Editors' Choice, new releases and so much more.

7/15/2010 #299
C. Tattiana H-H

Ugh. It's too exhausting going back to check out the older stuff. Think I'll just go back and hit 'em up sporadically.

Another Whiskey by Kyle Turley: Hmm, good voice but not my tune. Great vibe, though.

Young London by Angels and Airwaves: Not a fan of the band at all. =/

On Tour With Zykoss by Okkervil River: I didn't really feel this one, unfortunately. The video was a little odd, ha-ha.

Rain by Mika: I feel you on the Freddy Mercury similarity. It's kinda there. Not a huge fan of the song, but the video was interesting.

Diamond Child by TAT: I dug that it was live, but I didn't particularly dig the sound.

Sit Down by The Fire - The Veils: I quite like his voice.

Not Yet by The Veils: Damn. He has an amazing voice. I love it when singers let their voices get all raw and shish.

7/17/2010 #300
« Prev Page 1 .. 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 20 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: xenolith sophiesix, lookingwest
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member