The Globe
Shakespeare and other stuff. The big kids club.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
lookingwest

I noticed that we were making a lot of exchanges of proof-reading chapters lately, so I decided to create a topic for it!

This topic serves to be a place where authors can request a proof-reader (beta-reader) for a chapter-by-chapter basis on their poetry or prose.

So if you've written that next or first chapter, or you've got a specific scene that you're seeking feedback for, this would be the place to open up a request for a first reader before posting it up on FP for the masses.

2/11/2010 #1
taerkitty

I'm worried my Foster's Gambit is losing steam, and would like someone to take a look at the current chapter (once I'm done ripping it apart.)

I can give a summary of what's gone on so far so you don't have to read the other 15 chapters already posted.

2/11/2010 #2
lookingwest

I'd be willing to give it a good read through, do you still have my e-mail from last time?

2/12/2010 #3
sophiesix

Grrreat idea Em!

2/16/2010 #4
Jealous Rage

I've got the first chapter of my new story (untitled as of yet); if any of you are interested in reading it over and giving me your opinion, could you please let me know. It's essentially a Supernatural/Action story, with demons and magic and superpowered humans.

2/19/2010 #5
lookingwest

Don, that sounds right up my alley, haha, I can take a looking if you'd like--if you have any specific questions for me, you can post them here or on the manuscript. I'd perfer to have it e-mailed to me at:

lookingwest @ hotmail (dot) com

I will do my very best if you send it tonight, to get it back to you within the weekend!

2/19/2010 #6
Jealous Rage

Alright, thanks Emily. I just sent it to you; it's an .rtf file, so you should be able to open it. If not, just let me know and I'll resend it.

2/19/2010 #7
lookingwest

Woo! I have no life, so I read it as soon as I got it, XD, now let's hope you can read my comments...

2/19/2010 #8
Jealous Rage

Haha, yeah, I got it and I can read it. Thanks for looking it over. I wonder though, from your comments, such as:

It seems odd to me that this kind of mafia-esque old Vampire guy would want to go on a walk to Jason’s house at the end of the story ....Does Kane come off as a Vampire? He isn't one, but perhaps I implied that with my description of Alexander Blake.

2/19/2010 #9
lookingwest

Does Kane come off as a Vampire? He isn't one, but perhaps I implied that with my description of Alexander Blake.

OOOOH. CRAP.

You know what? I just looked it over, I'm terribly sorry--I got Kane confused with Alexander! ACK. I feel so stupid, this is the first time I've done something like this and I apologize! Okay...so...basically I think I got confused because there was such an emphasis on Alexander and how Adrianna gets into his head, and then it shifts to Kane and I think I thought with the same "dark eyes" description, that she was trying to get into his mind again, and they referred to him as the nickname of Kane.

Now reading that over again I realize I'm an idiot. It's pretty clear and I think I'm just delusional due to reading a novel called Oryx and Crake that had to do with double-identity nicknaming and stuff, so forget that comment. Adrianna's reaction seems a LOT more sensiable now, concerning why the hell Kane would be so intimidating to a bunch of demons.

I'm really sorry -_-'' Hopefully you were able to take something out of my delusional critique.

2/19/2010 #10
Jealous Rage

Haha, I thought that might have been what happened. I suppose I did kind of go from Xander to Kane pretty quickly. And I did find the rest of your comments useful. I just finished revising it a bit; would you mind if I sent it back to you; see what you think of the revisions. I tried to make it so that Kane's decision to go with Jason and Adrianna made a little more sense.

2/19/2010 #11
lookingwest

Sure, I'll take a look at it again :) Hopefully I'm not too late, blah--my homework finally caught up with me today -_-''

2/20/2010 #12
taerkitty

No fair... I'm feeling left out again. All those ghosts from the playground are rising in my memories and .... aaaaaaah!!!

2/20/2010 #13
sophiesix

:rescussitates kitty:

lol, never mind, you can review teh next one

2/20/2010 #14
Jealous Rage

Thanks for the comments Emily. I should get it posted sometime soon; just have to come up with a good title haha.

By the way, the points you raised after you read it the first time, about how I was being a little unclear about the relationship between Adrianna and Jason, and also the relationship between humans and demons; they both get addressed in the next chapter. Once they get to Mark's house, things are gonna get a lot clearer.

2/20/2010 #15
lookingwest

By the way, the points you raised after you read it the first time, about how I was being a little unclear about the relationship between Adrianna and Jason, and also the relationship between humans and demons; they both get addressed in the next chapter. Once they get to Mark's house, things are gonna get a lot clearer.

Sweet, I was figuring you'd have to address it soon, so that's good to hear!

2/20/2010 #16
Anise Cary
OK all I could use some help. I've tried contacting Betas from the list, and posting on the RG beta thread and no response. I'm working on a story right now and I need someone else to read it. It's not short, 11,000+ words on MS Word. Romance, and I know not everyone is willing to read that. I'd like to start posting it on here and I think I have I know where I want to break chapters, though I need a title, and as always summary help. Not to mention I'd just like someone to bounce ideas off of. Not sure if it also if it fits YA but it's about two college students who originally met in high school. The story is interspersed with flashbacks (yeah the one I asked about on Backstage I think). Anyway, if anyone can help me I'd really appreciate it.
2/27/2010 #17
sophiesix
My boy has gone to work on a Sunday :fumes: so i'll get revenge by doing FP stuff while he's gone. yes. Yes I am that empowered XD. A_C, do you want to docx it or email it?
2/27/2010 #18
Anise Cary
if I knew how to docx I'd do that but um as much trouble as FP has been lately I'd rather e-mail if you want to just PM me your addy, and THANK YOU!!!!
2/27/2010 #19
Anise Cary
Okay Sophie I think I got your addy figured out and sent it to you, if not then I can try and figure out the DocX thing, and thanks in advance you rock
2/27/2010 #20
xenolith

Hey Emily, if you're out there, I have a request. Could you look at a piece of mine?

It's just under 1k at the moment, and I ask because I tried out a kind of experimental narrative, similar to Jude's in INSIWB, but in a nostalgic, sentimental kind of way. I'm wondering if it's too nostalgic. Also, it came to a natural ending, and I want to know if that ending ends too soon without anything (or, rather, what I had planned) really happening.

3/25/2010 #21
lookingwest

Of course I will look at it! Sounds fun ^_^

You can just e-mail it to me at my e-mail if you'd like. It's (lookingwest) (@) (hotmail) (dot) (com)

Hm, we'll see if that worked, XD. Looking forward to it!

3/25/2010 #22
Anise Cary

oooo sounds interesting xen

3/25/2010 #23
xenolith

All sent, thanks a bunch!

3/25/2010 #24
Indestructible13

The DocX works byestablishing a link with another member of FP, using it you can send documents back and forth with those you're linked to.

Its a pain in the ass and much easier to just use email -_-'

3/25/2010 #25
Anise Cary

ah ha I needed that explanation of DocX, still not sure I want to try it, e-mail has been working so well for me

3/25/2010 #26
lookingwest

Xen, I got your e-mail! I had a really busy day/night last night and didn't get a chance to look at it like I'd hoped, but I will be looking at it later this afternoon and it should be sent to you when you're around later tonight (my night)! Sorry about my lateness -_-''!

3/27/2010 #27
xenolith

Thanks Emily, take all the time you need, there's no hurry!

3/27/2010 #28
lookingwest

Has been sent :D

Hopefully it works...

3/27/2010 #29
xenolith

Thanks heaps Emily :)

3/27/2010 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: xenolith sophiesix, lookingwest
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member