The Globe
Shakespeare and other stuff. The big kids club.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
xenolith

Wednesday, October 6th 2010

RE: Hey Peeps!

Welcome to 'What's on at The Globe' - a thread dedicated to forum announcements, questions, and general exciting news.

Instead of posting tidbits all over the place I thought it would be cool to put them in one easily accessible thread. If you have a question, you can ask it here. If you have a suggestion for a feature or upgrade to the forum, blow us away with it here. If there's something you think we should know about, tell us here. If, by some miracle, we fill up another OT thread, come here and discuss possible names for the next one!

Please format any news posts with a title in bold lettering so we can tell it apart from the others. Other than that, the floor is yours :D

10/6/2010 #1
xenolith

RE: Skype*

Alright everyone, shifting gears a bit...

So there has been a Skype Off Topic created for The Globe members, and I wanted to invite everyone to join in the conversation if you'd like to. For those who are not familiar, Skype is an online chat program that supports video and voice chat etc.

For those who don't have Skype, no fear, it's free for download here:

http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/get-skype/on-your-computer/windows/

It will prompt you to have a username and all that good stuff, and if you feel comfortable you can post your username here or you can PM it to me and I can add people to the conversation of The SkyPit once we become Skyfriends.

Or if you're feeling daring, you can add me as a friend, my user name is "emilylundgren" or "Potter" and it should say that I'm from South Dakota USA. I'll accept and add you into the conversation.

Anyone welcome, and let me know thoughts! This should be kind of fun and definitley something new to try out!

*post courtesy of Emily, aka lookingwest. thanks a bunch!

10/6/2010 #2
xenolith

RE: La Campanella*

La Campanella Awards - http://www.campanella.co.cc/

Since there are so many amazing writers who hang out here, and since I haven't managed to read all of your brilliant work, I though it'd be nice to promote this so the people at La Camp could be flooded with even more awesome stories. I've nominated over twenty things so far, but I'm sure there are other wonderful pieces written by you guys that I haven't read yet, but others here might have. There are numerous categories to nominate stories for--one of particular interest might be L'One Shot Award.

Humour, Sci-Fi, Horror, Tragedy and Action are sadly lacking in nominations, I've heard, and since I don't read those genres fairly often, I thought perhaps there might be people here who do read that genre, and might want to nominate a few pieces for those categories. So, check out the site, read about the categories you can nominate stories under (we're in the Autumn cycle) and then nominate! I'd love to see some more Globers/Globettes/Globules (what are we using, btw?) win an award through these guys.

* post courtesy of Liana aka Lianoid. Thanks for the reminder, def. something to check out!

10/6/2010 #3
C. Tattiana H-H

RE: Suggestion

I was thinking it'd be neat to have a thread, or perhaps just a single post--makes the most sense, really, dedicated to compiling a list of everyone who has introduced themselves here. I spoke briefly with Xen about it, and she even suggested including some info about each person (i.e. link to a story/website, quote, et cetera), and I think this would be a really neat idea. One other thing we could include is the person's age if each person is all right with that. Since this is a mature community, I just thought it'd be interesting to have that listed as well. Thoughts?

10/7/2010 #4
sophiesix

Cool!

"The globules"

XD

or...

"Head Shots"

or....

"The Cast"

yeah! the Cast!

10/7/2010 . Edited 10/8/2010 #5
lookingwest

Yeah I like that idea. Liana, you are awesome Idea-woman! XD

10/7/2010 #6
thewhimsicalbard

The Cast is my vote!

10/8/2010 #7
xenolith

I like The Cast too XD

but... do we want a whole thread dedicated to it, ie. one post per person, or just the one post with a big list (not that it would be that big... there's not that many of us)

?

10/8/2010 #8
C. Tattiana H-H

Right so, thread or single post? If single post, where?

10/8/2010 #9
thewhimsicalbard

I can't think of anywhere that we could post it as a single post, because it would have to be somewhere easily visible, plus there's the character limit to worry about. I think we have put it in its own thread. Besides, we don't even take up a whole screen on a netbook with the number of threads we have. My vote is for the thread labeled "The Cast".

10/8/2010 #10
berley

I looove this idea. I think having a thread with "The Cast" is a great idea. It would be nice to read up on other Globers and have their age, favourite stories, quotes, authors, and other random info like that.

10/9/2010 #11
C. Tattiana H-H

Hmm, so perhaps a new thread somewhat similar to the Introduction one, but people can only post once--the post with their info. Any other dialogue regarding the posts would take place in the OT. Would that work?

10/9/2010 #12
thewhimsicalbard

Absolutely. The welcome thread would be an introduction, and people who are here at the globe to stay post their info up in the cast list?

10/9/2010 #13
Tekla

Right so, thread or single post? If single post, where?

this is randomsauce, but Liana!

there's one of these in the RG, it actually links to a random post in one of the way early OTs, as the never-ending list of nicknames at teh RG

(yes, I know, boo on me for bringing the RG into this)

but mebbe you can just do that, but start one anywhere and keep linking to it

(and as far and I'm aware, there isn't a character limit for these reply boxes)

just a thought ^^;

10/9/2010 #14
lookingwest

ah, yeah, I know what you mean, we could just post the list in a single post on an OT (no character limit, yeah) and then just link to it in the Welcoming first post by saying: these are all of our members so far.

Now if only the RG updated that nickname list... XD

10/9/2010 #15
lookingwest

and personally I think we can go either way, started a new thread with posts, or just link it.

If we start a new thread, than everyone just posts up their stat or whatever, or would the mods be handling the posts?

10/9/2010 #16
sophiesix

good question. i mean, its gotta be different from the welcome thread, right? Would be kinda fun for someone else (anybody, not just a mod) to write about you, and that would mean you'd have to have chatted for a little while first for people to get to know you?

but i like the idea of a new thread.

10/10/2010 #17
berley

I like the idea of having a different thread, and having it different from the introductions thread. Like, there could be a small questionnaire thing for people to fill out about themselves to post, or it could be fun having other people write stuff about you. Or there could be both? I dunno. haha.

10/10/2010 #18
xenolith

New Thread! One Post Per Person. Pinned. (or non pinned?)

any ideas about what kind of stuff we want in each post?

10/10/2010 #19
berley

If you were a piece of furnature, what would you be and why? What got you into writing? Most memorable books you have read? Worst piece of writing you have ever written? Where are you from? Age? Where do you want to go with your writing? Most embarrassing moment? How did you find The Globe? Are you a cat or a dog person?

Just random stuff I thought up on the spot. haha.

10/10/2010 #20
C. Tattiana H-H

Hmm. How about one recommended FP read (one for poetry and one for prose, possibly?), the writer's baby (story/epic poem/whatever, the writer feels is either their best, or the dearest to them), favourite quote, favourite band, favourite colour (-snort-), favourite quote, age, country, aaand that's all I can think of.

10/10/2010 #21
berley

Oh! I like the idea of having a FP recommendation, though I would probably want to change it periodically since I read so much stuff I like on this site. I also like favourite band and quote.

10/10/2010 #22
xenolith

okie dokie, if we're all keen on this as a thread I can put one up soon. coolies?

10/14/2010 #23
xenolith

Re: Bookclub (and other stuff)

Hi Globe peeps. I've been wanting a book thread here for aaggeess, because I love books. I think it would be a great way to pick up reccommendations, and to have a place to talk about the stories and authors that have inspired us.

What do you guys think. Do you want a book thread? Is there any interest?

If there is, I'd like to have it up by the 26th - which is the Globe's first birthday party. Same too with the Audience thread. We could have a big forum extravaganza! I'm also thinking of a review marathon type thing, just this one time. That should probably go in another post but I don't want to spam the thread up lol.

Any thoughts, comments and suggestions are very much appreciated!

10/14/2010 #24
C. Tattiana H-H

Do eht, Xen! That's a really good idea. Perhaps we can have a monthly group book reading, as well. :D?

10/14/2010 #25
sophiesix

Sounds great Xen, on both counts!

10/14/2010 #26
xenolith

Perhaps we can have a monthly group book reading, as well. :D?

bah, you read my mind. I would live for a monthly group reading haha.

and if, say, we organize a review marathon for the weekend before the 26th, would that be cool?

10/14/2010 #27
sophiesix

monthly book reading of a non fp or an fp? or one for each?

review marathon sounds cool, will be in and out but will fo sho try and get some in :)

Go Globe!!! Happy Birthday!

10/14/2010 #28
xenolith

uuuum maybe non fp? I dunno, never done this before lol.

10/15/2010 #29
C. Tattiana H-H

Review marathon sounds good, as well. Hopefully I'll have finished all of my returns by then. If not... I'll still participate, I guess. :3

I think a FP and non-FP monthly reading thing might be neat. But perhaps we should just kick things off with a non-FP reading? If we do a FP monthly reading thing, perhaps we could choose stories nominated for awards on Project Fiction and La Camp? Dunno, there are tons of great FP stories out there I've always wanted to read, but haven't had the time or motivation to, really. But, again, perhaps we should just stick with a non-FP novel to kick this badboy off.

10/15/2010 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: xenolith sophiesix, lookingwest
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member