The Globe
Shakespeare and other stuff. The big kids club.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »
sophiesix

book shops: thumbs down

online ordering: thumbs up

I will receive my copy in 3-5 days :D

11/8/2010 #31
lookingwest

thursday sounds good and I think I can either get it on my kindle or at the library

I ammm reading 3 other books right now though, so I'm not positive I'll be able to get the reading done...will take some not-on-FP dedication on my part

11/8/2010 #32
berley

I need to finish reading A Scanner Darkly first, which shouldn't take me that long since I'm almost done, then I have to find this book at the used book store by my house and see if I am going to like it. Not a fan of science fiction, so I don't know how fast I will be able to read it, but I will give it a try!

11/8/2010 #33
xenolith

I love science fiction! I just don't read it much coz I'm distracted by other things. Like Hemingway. And F. Scott Fitzgerald.

Hey. SOPHIE! anyone. I found a book by Mikhail Bulgakov that was sci fi! I wanted to get it but it was 12 dollars second hand which is waaaay overpriced, but it's set in Moscow and it's about like... biology gone wrong, or something. So kewl! Anyone read it? Still have to read Master and the Magarita too... once I find it....

11/9/2010 #34
berley

I just never can get into hard core science fiction novels. Like, technically A Scanner Darkly is science fiction, and I am enjoying this book, but meh. I try to keep an open mind, though, so I am going to give this book a try.

11/9/2010 #35
sophiesix

Hey hey! *drools* russian literature... i have so much to read... can we have something Russian one month to force me to do it, lol?

11/9/2010 #36
C. Tattiana H-H

I'm totally down for some Russian lit. :D

11/9/2010 #37
xenolith

WAR AND PEACE?? D:

nah. too epic.

11/9/2010 #38
sophiesix

i'm up for reading it one day... but yeah, that would be one hectic month of reading :D

ok: my most wanted list:

Mikhail Bulgakov The Master and Margarita

Mikhail Lermontov: Герой нашего времени (A Hero of Our Time),

Tolstoy's Hadji Murad.

Chekov's Палата №. 6 (Ward No .6)

Gogol's Dead Souls

Turgenev's Father and Sons (i believe its short!)

Dostoevsky's The brothers Karamozov

11/9/2010 #39
C. Tattiana H-H

Dostoevsky's The brothers Karamozov

That one has been on my list for a long ass time now.

11/9/2010 #40
xenolith

I LOVE FATHERS AND SONS! It's one of my favourites.

otherwise yeah, I second that entire list. nom Master and Magarita or Brothers Karamazov for russian lit book month :p

11/9/2010 #41
C. Tattiana H-H

Dude, we should have an Around The World dealie something I'm so tired omg.

Like, one month we read something Russian. Next, something French. After that, German. Et cetera, et cetera.

Yeah? Maybe? Perhaps we should each write a short list of maybe, hmm, five books we've always wanted to read but never got around to, and we could all focus our nominations around that?

Anyway, all I know is I'm tired. So apologies if this post made little sense.

11/9/2010 #42
sophiesix

how about a different genre type thing each time?

so sci fi, russian lit, post modern weird shit, thriller, french lit, poetry...?

11/9/2010 #43
xenolith

oooh and then NZ/Aus for me and sophie XD

yeah, nah, you made total sense Liana. sounds like a great idea to me!

(also, maybe you should get some rest lol)

11/9/2010 #44
sophiesix

it wouldn't need to be set or anything, but just to keep in mind that we try for something different each month?

11/9/2010 #45
sophiesix

ooh yeah! NZ lit and ... mind goes blank... come on, i know there are good aussie authors... shit, can't think of a sigle one at the moment... except childrens authors, lol... bugger... man this is bad!

11/9/2010 #46
sophiesix

*shamefacedly reverts to googgle*

marcus zusak! there! XD

11/9/2010 #47
xenolith

*shamefacedly reverts to googgle*

D:

haha.

so sci fi, russian lit, post modern weird shit, thriller, french lit, poetry...?

yeah, different things each month. different genre, and country? even time?

*is excited*

11/9/2010 #48
sophiesix

Aha! and Peter Temple. :D

hmm, maybe i shouldn't have brushed off peter carey so easily... no, i didn't like tim winton either, but i read the riders ages and ages ago... couldn't get into carpentaria either, oh gee, i fail... oh see, those others are very hit and miss, but yeah, i guess they've written at least one good book. lol, gregory david roberts is counted?? sure, shantaram was great, but.. well ok.

11/9/2010 #49
sophiesix

Oh! and Janette Turner Hospital. Love her.

11/9/2010 #50
C. Tattiana H-H

I like.

yeah, different things each month. different genre, and country? even time?

And yes.

11/9/2010 #51
xenolith

spose old school nz lit would be janet frame, maurice gee, witi ihimaera, alan duff... but I really like emily perkins, and I want to read lloyd jones, and elizabeth knox.

11/9/2010 #52
xenolith

woohoo first new page!!!1

11/9/2010 #53
C. Tattiana H-H

Partay!

(I is going to bed now, so party on without me).

11/9/2010 #54
sophiesix

ooh i got a book of contemporary newzealand fiction, and almost all those writers you mention Xen are in there. I read the Emily Perkins (Not Her Real Name) and it was Awesome. AWESOME.

11/15/2010 #55
xenolith

haha that's great! I read her book A Novel About My Wife this year, it's bloody good. :)

11/15/2010 #56
sophiesix

ngaragahagh!!

my enders game STILL hasn't turned up at the post office *burst into tears*

see I go into the field tomorrow, and i won't be back til december :( Maybe we can carry on teh enders conversation for two months :D?

In other news, I found Emily perkins "not her real name' short story online... so hope this ridiculous looking link works...

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uIjGgPLv8EoC&pg=PA409&lpg=PA409&dq=emily+perkins+not+her+real+name&source=bl&ots=MAd44Diy39&sig=l9Uo-E3wcf51ZlRoJjwkvrBB0WM&hl=en&ei=qxzjTIuZFI2IuAPL1vjGDg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7&ved=0CEUQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=emily%20perkins%20not%20her%20real%20name&f=false

11/16/2010 #57
C. Tattiana H-H

I had to share this. It's a short story in comic format that is rather creepy and very, very good. Check it out, guys. Takes only a few minutes to read.

http://emcarroll.com/comics/faceallred/01.html

11/20/2010 #58
sophiesix

creeeeeepy!

11/20/2010 #59
lookingwest

all these people named Emily!

Good names, good names.

And that was really creepy o_o I liked it a lot though!

11/21/2010 #60
« Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: xenolith sophiesix, lookingwest
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member