Gossip Forum
A place where you can get reviews. Get tips on your work, and have fun and chat.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 2 3 Next »
RaccoonQueen

I have a question, so I assume this is where I need to post it.

When will the next writing contest/challenge start?

1/30/2010 #31
Mediterranean Grass Monkey

I generally make a rule of signing my reviews, but in certain cases, I come to the conclusion that I better not. Usually, this is when I leave pretty hard critique. Don't get me wrong, I tend to sign my critiques as well, but when I feel that the person will most likely take it out on me and my works, I feel that I just don't have the will to deal with that. I'm not flawless and my writing is anything but; there is no point in calling me names and ignore my advice just because I'm not the god of writing.

So basically, I leave an anonymous review when I want the author to focus on the what I say in the review, not on me as a person. No matter how you put it, hate spam is rather annoying.

1/30/2010 #32
taerkitty

I'm not going to say anyone is wrong to not sign their review - that's a valid fear. However, the way I see things, I'm painting a bulls-eye on me when I post my fiction anyhow, so I may as well continue with my reviews as well.

I've left some less-than-gushing reviews, and many times, the authors have replied back to discuss them. I think, by not signing my reviews, I deprive them of that chance, and I feel that is a disservice to us both.

There have been the handful of times when I felt a review was so utterly negative that it would add more heat than light to the fiction, the author's development, and my own growth from reviewing. At that point, I just PMed the author my thoughts.

1/30/2010 #33
Mizzuz Spock

Erm. Edit. Question's been answered.

So.

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could Chuck Norris? o.o

2/1/2010 . Edited 2/1/2010 #34
Mizzuz Spock

Serious question:

I've noticed that some people are posting that they reviewed certain stories, but they reviewed them a week or longer ago?

Is there any rule against doing this?

2/5/2010 #35
taerkitty

If the previous review was not claimed (at least for Gossip Forum) in a previous review request, that's fine in my eyes. Some people like to post updates and recommendations, where they just state that they reviewed something, but don't ask for reviews. While arguably just posting on the Review thread is an implied ask, I'm going to opt for the soft approach for now and only count specific and explicit requests for reviews.

2/6/2010 #36
Anise Cary

ok another question about the review thread, does someone need to review something from the thread b4 asking for reviews on their own work, or can it be reviews on other pieces? Just want to clarify bc my understanding was that be request a review you should first review a piece from the thread itself.

2/11/2010 #37
taerkitty

In theory, it should be from the thread itself, but there's reality. In theory, reviews should be better than one-liners, but KM, Not and I don't have the time to check on each review. If someone catches someone else trying to sneak one in (Em-Ess, f'ex) then we'll take some action, but in the meanwhile, just posting that you reviewed something is going to pass my muster.

Of course, you should review from our lovely thread. ;)

2/11/2010 #38
Anise Cary

ok thanks, just wanted clarification

2/11/2010 #39
Mizzuz Spock

Is there anyway we could have, like, a separate Rules thread posted and flagged? Preferrably labeled with a big READ FIRST?

So many people don't read the rules, and it's kind of annoying. Maybe if we had a separate post that hung out at the top of the page, more people would be inclined to read the rules.

Just a suggestion. Not sure if anybody else will agree with me, but these non-rule followers are just making me GAH! xD

2/11/2010 #40
Anise Cary

Can I ditto that suggestion?

2/11/2010 #41
taerkitty

I'll leave that for KM to decide. My personal opinion is that people should understand enough netiquette to read the first few posts to a Topic and see if those contain the rules, then proceed from there.

That said, my personal opinion is so often shown to be not unanimous...

2/11/2010 #42
Phantom Rottweiler

*Timidly raises hand* Question. I have a few questions about Slash, this site and this sites posting guidelines. All three are related to the other, in other words.

edited for clearity by Rotti.

One: does slash automatically warrant an M rating or would I be able to keep it T provided the language is minimum, there's no blood/guts/gore and there's no "bedroom scenes"?

Two: is it M or T if the characters share glances, hold hands, maybe so light kissing and the occasional snuggling together to watch a movie at home? (notice the movie bit is just them laying together on the couch) I feel the posting guides are a little...vague...on that front.

Three: does it HAVE to have a bedroom scene or is okay to omit that kind of stuff because, well frankly, I'm not comfortable writing stuff like that...not yet anyways.

2/12/2010 . Edited 2/12/2010 #43
taerkitty

white wolf97 wrote:

i know this is off topic and everything, but i am having trouble submitting new documents. i am going to use the workaround, but i need to know if it it my computer or the site. send me a message if you are getting the same thing.

I'm not one of the people who run FP, I'm just a (very new) user, but tis not happening to me, sorry.

2/15/2010 #44
taerkitty

One: does slash automatically warrant an M rating or would I be able to keep it T provided the language is minimum, there's no blood/guts/gore and there's no "bedroom scenes"?

http://www.fictionpress.com/secure/story/story_tab_guide.php has the guidelines, but they pull from http://www.fictionratings.com/. Sounds like it depends on what the characters do - perhaps "strong but non-explicit adult themes" may describe it.

Of course, in the end, it's up to the site, but it seems to be in 'fire and forgotten' mode so it seems just about anything goes. I've seen some fairly explicit stuff here, so I suspect the people who actually hold the power just don't care anymore. :(

Two: is it M or T if the characters share glances, hold hands, maybe so light kissing and the occasional snuggling together to watch a movie at home? (notice the movie bit is just them laying together on the couch) I feel the posting guides are a little...vague...on that front.

I'd say that's a definite T - 'minor suggestive adult themes.'

Three: does it HAVE to have a bedroom scene or is okay to omit that kind of stuff because, well frankly, I'm not comfortable writing stuff like that...not yet anyways. D

on't write what you don't want to. This isn't a writing assignment. As for what people think is or is not slash, that's really irrelevant. If they don't think it's slash, you can just say, "I'm sorry you feel this way. It's evident to me you're not my target audience, so you will likely not find this work to your liking. While I welcome your attentions, I do not think I can benefit from your feedback."

Or something coarser. ;)

2/15/2010 #45
Mizzuz Spock

Slash doesn't have to be anything like that. It can just be pure "fluff," which is when your characters show their feelings, but it never leads to the bedroom.

If there's nothing explicit or not too much bad language, T is totally fine.

Three: does it HAVE to have a bedroom scene or is okay to omit that kind of stuff because, well frankly, I'm not comfortable writing stuff like that...not yet anyways.

Tis totally okay not to have a bedroom seen, or, if there is one, simply not to write it out. You don't have to write anything you don't feel comfortable with! Slash doesn't always have to be about the physical side of the relationship, anyway.

Hope I helped to answer your questions. :]

2/15/2010 #46
Phantom Rottweiler

*takes notes, nods heas* Ah-ha, I see. Yes, you and 'Kitty' were a definete help on this one. Boy do I feel silly for asking.

Just to keep on topic with questions, why the heck doesn't this site have a Noob field guide with a complete list of whats what? (preferrably with a list of THIS is M, THIS is T, THIS is K+ ect.)

2/15/2010 #47
taerkitty

Just to keep on topic with questions, why the heck doesn't this site have a Noob field guide with a complete list of whats what? (preferrably with a list of THIS is M, THIS is T, THIS is K+ ect.)

I just created one: http://www.fictionpress.com/topic/4324/1576027/1/#1576027.

2/15/2010 #48
taerkitty
Looks like FP is having serious issues. Right now, we can't use the normal WYSIWYG (what-you-see-is-what-you-get, pronounced whiz-e-wig) editor that works like a normal word processor. We're stuck with the HTML editor, so I created a small crash-course topic for HTML newbies here. Please feel free to add to it.
2/23/2010 #49
taerkitty
Here's a work-around for those of us who (used to) use the PF editing window for our stories, but are doubly damned by the current borkage. Composing a post isn't easy, but it's possible. Editing a story chapter after it's been mashed together into HTML in that tiny window is just too much.

The solution is to use a WYSIWYG (What you see is what you get) HTML Editor. There are a few out there, but SeaMonkey seems to be the easiest to use. It's easy, but still a little complicated, but bear with me.

1. Go to the home page for the 'SeaMonkey Internet Suite'. It's at http : //www.seamonkey-project . org/

2. (Of course) Download and install it.

3. (Optional, but recommended) Uncheck the box that asks 'Make Seamonkey the Default'. That's just obnoxious.

4. It looks like a regular browser, but File | New | Composer Page will bring up a saner editor.

5. It has four tabs on the bottom. Write in the 'Normal' tab.

6. Or, if you're editing an existing chapter, go to the '< HTML > Source' tab and delete all the existing text (SeaMonkey will put it back, but that's fine, FP ignores it.) Copy your existing chapter or story out of the horrible sliver of a window, then paste it into the '< HTML > Source' Tab.

7. In the Normal tab, edit to your heart's content, but try to keep the formatting simple. I suspect FP will not barf on any of the fancy stuff (such as font size, color, indenting and all) but it won't show up - they have some pretty uptight filters on what they store vs. what you enter into the compose window.

8. When you're done editing, go back to the '< HTML > Source' Tab.

9. Do a copy-replace for all <br> tags and replace them with <p/> - FP likes 'paragraph', but not 'break' tabs.

10. Select everything, copy it and paste it over the stuff you have in the tiny compose window FP gives you.

One thing to warn you: FP does not like characters like '<','>', and '&' and will mess them up. Best thing to do is to not use them. If you must, you have to write them like this: &amp;lt;, &amp;gt;, and &amp;&amp;. Of course, that doesn't make any sense to anyone who has any familiarity with HTML (usually you don't have to escape the & character in an escape sequence), so you have to do a manual search and replace for all the & characters in the HTML Source tab and replace them with &amp;.

Don't ask.

2/27/2010 . Edited 2/27/2010 #50
J.S. Hopkins
I have a silly question. I haven't posted in a while and I'm working on a new story. When I posted. FP won't let me add a new document so I have to work around it. Which thanks to all you wonderful people I can work with. But now it won't let me get rid of the bold type and I hate posting my story in bold print.
3/2/2010 #51
taerkitty
Look for this string in your document: <b>, <b /> or <b />. Those turn it bold. If you find it, delete it.
3/2/2010 #52
J.S. Hopkins
Thank you sooooo much it worked!!!!
3/2/2010 #53
J.S. Hopkins

Is anyone having issues seeing their stats?

3/26/2010 #54
Phantom Rottweiler

Nope, you aren't the only one. The traffic graphs and story/user stats are down for some reason. I noticed it earlier this morning.

3/26/2010 #55
J.S. Hopkins

okay thanks, this is day two I hope they fix it soon.

3/26/2010 #56
dragonflydreamer

Quick question: In the reviews topic, could I request reviews for a work that isn't my own?

4/6/2010 #57
sophiesix

I've done it and no one crucified me :)

4/6/2010 #58
AvidWriter-92

hello. :) I was just wondering how you put up a link for your story... :P

Thanks! I'm relatively new here, and I just wanted to know that... :P

~Avid. :)

5/30/2010 #59
AvidWriter-92

hello. :) I was just wondering how you put up a link for your story... :P

Thanks! I'm relatively new here, and I just wanted to know that... :P

~Avid. :)

5/30/2010 #60
« Prev Page 1 2 3 Next »
Forum Moderators: K.M.Simpson Not Over You, taerkitty
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member