Gossip Forum
A place where you can get reviews. Get tips on your work, and have fun and chat.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 .. Last Next »
Poll
What's your favourite programme?
1 The Vampire Diaries
2 Glee
3 One Tree Hill
4 Gossip Girl
5 House
6 90210
7 CSI
8 None of the above
9 The Big Bang Theory
View Poll Result. Please vote for one of the choices.
Mizzuz Spock

for Dusk, I have an insane amount of views for my prologue and then the number drops drastically once you get to chapter one. Not very many people read farther for me, either. :/

Ah, I should've used hits instead of views. xD

I check my story traffic more often than reviews, because I want to know if people are eyein' my stuffs. And then it just upsets me when the ratio of hits to reviews is...ridiculously unproportioned.

Of course, people have to look at my prologue before they read other chapters, so I suppose that's half of my prologue hits right there. But still. I can totally tell more people are reading my story than are commenting. Silent readers... *shakes head in disapproval*

But right now, I sort of feel that if I ask people to review my story (even if I reviewed one of theirs) - it's kind of like asking them to eat food that they don't like.

I see your point, but how do they know they don't like it?

You have to be like the stern parent, always encouraging the chillun to eat their greens. They may eventually develop a taste for your story, once they give it a chance.

Of course, I see where you're coming from. You don't want people to be forced to read your work and struggle through it. And that's totally fine. But most of the stories on my favorites list where found through review threads or through review trades. *shrugs* I wouldn't have known about them otherwise.

My writing style is really improper and most readers just can't get over that.

I don't see how your writing style is improper. It reads fine to me.

(Then again, mine's about as improper as you can get sometimes, without going to cht spk...)

Anyway, sorry again for the long post.

RAWRR. NEVER BE SORRY FOR ANYTHING! :O

Kidding. But don't apologize for the long post. It's okay. Adds variety and depth to the OT. :)

and all that jazz.

We use the same language sometimes. "All that jazz" and "whatnot" and...a few other phrases that I can't recall right now.

Not to sound like some kind of creeper. Just something I've noticed. xD

1/23/2010 #301
Mizzuz Spock

I think my mad murdering skillz are starting to work on the forum as well...

It's been pretty dead for a Saturday. o.o

1/23/2010 #302
Vulpine Ninja

What's your mother tongue? Mine is Engrish.

check out my profile then guess 8D

1/23/2010 #303
Vulpine Ninja

The problem I have is that people favorite my work and don't leave a review. They act as if just because they favorite it, that should be enough. It isn't. In fact, it ** me off more than anything else. It makes me angrier than a flame. Because at least when people flame you, they're expressing why they hated your work. (Or you, in some cases.) Favoriters don't even tell you WHY they like your stuff. *sigh*

I'm having the same problem right now.

Since I uploaded These Falling Apples, I get around 5 reviews per chapter. As time passes I get a lot of story alerts and faves. But then I barely see the usernames in the reviews section. So I was like... ok, thanks for liking my fic, but could u at least tell me why you like it? It's okay if you can't give a proper review, but please be kind enough to drop a line. I keep hinting readers to leave a comment in my author's notes, at the same time I feel embarrassed to be begging too much. This is the first fic that exceeded 30 chapters, but in the recent ones I'm getting less and less comments. Well, I don't blame them because I did warn about N*** scenes. but still... they could at least say "I wanna know what's going to happen towards the end, but can you tone down the fluff a bit? I'm a lil uncomfortable with it". I mean, I could take it into consideration!

And also... what happens to the favers!?!?

1/23/2010 #304
taerkitty

Hm. Another dead thread. The Mizzuz must have been here.

1/23/2010 #305
Mizzuz Spock

Guilty as charged. :/

1/23/2010 #306
Mizzuz Spock

And also... what happens to the favers!?!?

What do you mean...? o.o

1/23/2010 #307
taerkitty

Favers, as in FPies who add you or your story to their favourites list?

1/23/2010 #308
1.21 Jigawatts

LOL. I rarely get faves / alerts. Usually, the people who fave my stuff are the types of people who have like 1000 faves. (I've checked profiles to verify this). I've contacted some of them and also noticed, somewhat surprisingly, the people who have faved / alerted my stories tend to be much younger than the demographic that I would have expected to like my stories.

I check my story traffic more often than reviews, because I want to know if people are eyein' my stuffs. And then it just upsets me when the ratio of hits to reviews is...ridiculously unproportioned.

I'm in the same boat. The ratio of hits to reviews for my stories is usually around 200-ish.

I do look at hits more than I do anything else. I've noticed things about where readers tend to stop reading, etc... One interesting thing that I've noticed for each one of my stories is that if a reader reaches a certain chapter, they will usually continue to read to the end of whatever I had posted. Unsurprisingly, this happens to coincide with that "first point of engagement" thing I keep blabbing about.

I mentioned previously that 1.5% ish of total readers who read Tracer reach the end of the introductory arc. The trippy thing is, 1.3% of total readers who read Tracer reached the end of everything I had posted. Same thing for TVIMH - 1.3% reach end of introductory arc, 1.1% reach the end of the entirety posted. So I've only lost 0.2% of readers between the end of the introductory arc and the end of whatever I've posted, it seems. These numbers aren't exactly accurate, because there are a lot more factors that go into the "reader" and "hits" number that FP measures and their interpretation, but they are generally representative from what I've seen.

As far as the review threads go, I think I'll still pop around and review other people's stuff, but I won't demand or expect reciprocation for them.

1/23/2010 #309
Vulpine Ninja

wait... how do you check traffic?? O_o

1/23/2010 #310
taerkitty

Login | Traffic | Story Traffic

1/23/2010 #311
1.21 Jigawatts

Traffic tab (between publish and alert tabs in the main menu) --- Story Traffic. Then click on one of your stories at the bottom to pull up a chapter-by-chapter breakdown.

If you are talking about a different type of traffic, I'll need some clarification on what you mean.

1/23/2010 #312
Vulpine Ninja

oh that.

so weird... i've been here since 2002 but i never rly check other tabs (i think this is a new since a few yrs ago) other than the publish tab lol. Thanks.

1/23/2010 #313
Vulpine Ninja

Surprisingly, my 30+ fic has inconsistent number of hits. I wonder how these people read it o__o

1/23/2010 . Edited 1/24/2010 #314
Mizzuz Spock

I'm pretty sure the Story Stats and User Stats pages have been around since I started.

(Not with this account, my super-dooper old one that I can't even remember the password to it's been so long...) xD

The traffic thing is pretty new, but I think it's been around for a couple years... My memory can't be bothered to walk back that far to clarify, though. @__@

1/24/2010 #315
1.21 Jigawatts

Surprisingly, my 30+ fic has consistent number of hits. I wonder how these people read it o__o

That's good! That means people who usually start reading your story get engaged enough to go the whole way!

In my stories, a large percentage of all of the hits to all of my stories are on the 1st chapter. :(

Percentage of total hits that are from the 1st chapter only:

TVIMH: 13.3%

Tracer: 19.8%

If that limit is extended to hits from the Ch.1 - 5 only:

TVIMH: 31.6%

Tracer: 32.5%

So, almost 1/3rd of the total hits are from the first 1/10th of the story. This is how I know that I lose a lot of people early on.

1/24/2010 #316
Vulpine Ninja

omg... it was a TYPO

i'm supposed to say INconsistent. LOL. my bad...

I got over a hundred hits in the first chap, then the second chap is like 1/6 of the former. There's a drastic decrease in Chap 3, then starting from Chap 4 to 28 the hits fluctuates (maximum is 16, minimum is 9). Increased 10 hits more arnd Chap 29, then went back down, then rise again... the second most hits is at Chap 34 (81 hits).

how do you explain this phenomenon??

1/24/2010 #317
K.M.Simpson

Random question but why is everyone obsessed with that new singer Justin Bieber?

1/24/2010 #318
Vulpine Ninja

Justin who?

lol sorry i'm pretty slow about entertainment news XD

1/24/2010 #319
taerkitty

Who?

1/24/2010 #320
K.M.Simpson

Justin Beiber the little boy singer who has signed up for usher records, I thought he was big in america.

1/24/2010 #321
Mizzuz Spock

I hate that kid.

If I hear One Time ONE MORE TIME... I swear, somebody's gonna get hurt. *eye twitches*

1/24/2010 #322
Mizzuz Spock

the second most hits is at Chap 34 (81 hits).

how do you explain this phenomenon??

Easy. People read the last chapter of what's up to see if it's good or not. :/

1/24/2010 #323
Mizzuz Spock

Random question but why is everyone obsessed with that new singer Justin Bieber?

I saw a middle-aged man walking around the mall last week with a shirt that said "BIEBER FEVER."

And I was thinking, "Did you lose a bet or what?" xD

1/24/2010 #324
K.M.Simpson

High Five.

It's so annoying, my friends obsessed with him. He's only just like made it over here and its like they're already going mad, its like he's got a squeaky voice and sounds like a chipmunk, whats so good about him. Thats right all the little girlies obsess over him. Its like grrr, Chace Crawfords way better.

1/24/2010 #325
Mizzuz Spock

I...don't know who Chace Crawford is. xD

But there's nothing special about Bieber. He's just a kid. Who's trying to sing...R&B? Eh. Whatever. I dun like him or his music.

I'll add to the random questionness:

Why do action stars sign on to do babysitting comedies? It always ends in EPIC FAIL. :/

1/24/2010 #326
K.M.Simpson

I...don't know who Chace Crawford is. xD

He's a hot actor who plays Nate in Gossip Girl, a CW tv show.

What action stars have started to do comedies?

1/24/2010 #327
taerkitty

It makes them seem cute and approachable, so they can migrate from being action stars to family film stars (and maybe even Guvahnators...)

1/24/2010 #328
Mizzuz Spock

Never watched Gossip Girl. I don't really go for those kinds of shows... xD

What action stars have started to do comedies?

Jackie Chan. Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. Vin Diesel.

It makes them seem cute and approachable, so they can migrate from being action stars to family film stars.

Yeeeeah. It ain't workin' for Mizzuz. :/

1/24/2010 #329
K.M.Simpson

I thought it worked for the rock, in the game plan. That was such a good touching movie.

1/24/2010 #330
« Prev Page 1 .. 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: K.M.Simpson Not Over You, taerkitty
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member