Gossip Forum
A place where you can get reviews. Get tips on your work, and have fun and chat.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 .. Last Next »
Poll
What's your favourite programme?
1 The Vampire Diaries
2 90210
3 CSI
4 None of the above
5 Gossip Girl
6 Glee
7 One Tree Hill
8 House
9 The Big Bang Theory
View Poll Result. Please vote for one of the choices.
Mizzuz Spock

I totally just saw that when I researched him on IMDB. *was trying to find that movie* xD

Meh. I never really got into Fringe. I tried to like it. I really did. Mostly because people were calling it the modern day X-Files and I was, like, "Hellz yeah. I love the X-Files!" But... I dunno. I put up with it for five episodes and then the show "accidentally" got taken off my DVR schedule... *whistles innocently*

Don't get me wrong, I like J.J. Abrams. All my friends hated it, but, personally, I really enjoyed Cloverfield. And he did a hell of a job on Star Trek.

But I think I had the same problem with Fringe as I did with Lost...It just couldn't keep me interested. :/

1/16/2010 #91
Mizzuz Spock

Oh. Em. Gee.

Abrams is working on an Untitled Star Trek Sequel. I don't know whether to be excited or terrified.

I mean...is this necessary?

The Spock fangirl in me is screaming, "OF COURSE!" But the movie critic in me is screaming, "NOOOO! NOT A SEQUEL!" x[

1/16/2010 #92
taerkitty

I loathe J.J. Abrams. He creates shows like I write: I make it up as I go along, and then try to say to the reader, "See? I meant to do this."

I love the show Numb3rs, and one of the earlier episodes had the math genius explain 'The Texas Marksman' - a guy fires off a bunch of shots at a blank wall, then circles three of them very close together and claims that's his grouping. Never mind that he wasn't aiming for anything.

I saw that in his Lost, in his Alias. (It's not just him. Heroes does the same thing, and I wish it too a fiery death.) I lost confidence in him as an author, and gnashed my teeth when he was announced as the latest Star Trek director. Oh, well. The franchise was tanking, anyhow.

It was worse when he said in an interview that he didn't follow Star Trek as a kid, that he didn't know it, and he didn't care. He was just going to make a movie. OMFG!

And they cast the guy from Heroes as Spock? As I said above, Kring's Heroes was as execrable as Abram's claims to fame. Oh, someone at Paramount must hate the series with a passion.

I walked into the film expecting it to be another pile of self-congratulatory crap. I seriously expected it to be the last film in the franchise. I was there to mourn it, to bury it.

I came out wanting the sequel right now. Right freaking now.

Why not a sequel? In a genius masterstroke, Abrams has wiped away forty years (realtime) of cruft and restrictive history. The universe is wide open. He can do anything. We don't have to worry about Spock's brother going non-linear and questing for God. Spock's brain will forever remain in his noggin (hope-and-pray-please-dear-God-no-'Spock's Brain'-remake).

Hey, look at the good news. In this revived universe, we have to meet the tribbles sometime. Isn't that enough for a sequel?

1/16/2010 #93
Mizzuz Spock

(It's not just him. Heroes does the same thing, and I wish it to a fiery death.)

Do my eyes deceive me? Or did I just read a Heroes bash? :0

*high five*

And they cast the guy from Heroes as Spock?

Quinto was a good choice. I didn't doubt that for a second. He looked oddly enough like the old Spock, and once I saw the movie, I was extremely happy with the outcome: Quinto-Spock brought some serious sexy back. In fact... Mizzuz was very happy with the casting, overall. It was a bit strange to see the guy from Harold and Kumar as Sulu, though. x]

Spock's brain will forever remain in his noggin (hope-and-pray-please-dear-God-no-'Spock's Brain'-remake).

But those were such fun times... xD *sarcasm alert*

The universe is wide open. He can do anything.

Uh. That's what I'm worried about: He. Can. Do. Anything.

I don't know. Call me a cynic. (Which I totally am, when it comes to sequels.) Ninety-nine-point-nine percent of the time, Part Deux does not match up with the original. There is too much of a good thing. This can be seen especially in Saw. And Shrek. God, I was soooo disappointed with Shrek...

What made Star Trek so great this time around was that it was fresh, and it took everything we thought we knew and just shoved it right back in our faces with a Nelson-from-the-Simpons-laugh: "Ha ha!"

And it was good. It was real good.

Hey, look at the good news. In this revived universe, we have to meet the tribbles sometime. Isn't that enough for a sequel?

I still...don't know...if it's worth it...

Wait. Random thought. So. In this "revived universe..." does Kirk invent gunpowder? :O

1/16/2010 #94
taerkitty

In this "revived universe..." does Kirk invent gunpowder? :O

Not if he watches MythBusters.

One thing - there wasn't a sense that he threw it back in our face - the script respected the genre conventions and a lot of the history. I'm too tired and sleepy to remember all the nods the script made to the canon, but I remember walking out of the movie being very impressed. Just about every bit of 'insider-knowledge' I had about the show showed up.

Well, not every, but enough. I'm still waiting for Transparent Aluminum...

1/16/2010 #95
Mizzuz Spock

Not if he watches MythBusters.

Silly. They don't have MythBusters in space. Pfffft.

the script respected the genre conventions and a lot of the history.

Yeeeeeah. Wellllllllll.

It did stick with the canon, I'll admit. Well, some. It wasn't any more or less than any of the past...ten movies? Embarassingly, I haven't actually seen all of them... but I'm willing to bet they all follow the canon. o_o'

S***. Forgot the rest of what I was gonna say... xD

I'm just going to finish with: Since now there's this parallel universe opened up, they can change a lot. And I don't know if it's going to be fun watching something that should happen not happen...or something get overlooked completely...or...yeeeeah. I'll just shut up now. I know I'll start ranting if I don't. :/

1/16/2010 #96
Vulpine Ninja

I voted for CSI. I love the show cos I get to see how high tech stuff is used in investigations. We don't have their gadgets here. I love science, in fact, I'm taking pure physics as my major atm. The show's main objective is to solve the cases, and I'm ok with the lack of character development. No offense, but I don't really fancy how characters grow (especially in relationships) in American TV series. I watch J-drama, and how they develop is much more overwhelming. Maybe it's the difference in their way of life? Just my two cents.

Second would be House, because I love House's sarcasm! I never really like medical-themes stories it's fun to see his team discussing on the diagnosis.

whew, I spent half of my day here till I forgot about my facebook!

1/16/2010 #97
Mizzuz Spock

Did somebody saaaaaaaaay... House? x3

The funny thing about House is, every episode usually follows a formula:

Something is wrong with the patient.

Now we know what's wrong with patient.

Wait. Nope. We lied. Patient is still dying.

Well, that's weird...must be lupus.

Nope. Not lupus. It's cancer.

Well, that's even weirder. We diagnosed the patient but... Patient is still dying.

Whoops. It really WAS lupus.

Naw. It was really [insert long and complicated explanation for some seemingly totally outrageous medical case].

Oh, now you're cured. :3

And the even funnier part about the whole thing is that I don't understand half the things they talk about. Ah, their medical lingo that might as well be Klingon... But House is such a sad, complex character and I enjoy watching him work. (Don't I sound like such a stalker.) I love House with all my heart. And his quotes are wonderful. I can accept that show for its flaws and predictability of the cases (sometimes people die, though not usually), because the relationships and the plot, overall, is very unpredictable. I swear, there are so many twists in that show, it's almost ridiculous.

As far as CSI is concerned, I liked it. For the same reason I like House. There were some nice twists, but usually every case was solved by the end in a similar fashion. I don't, however, care much for CSI: New York or Miami. Hate those spin-offs.

I've never actually watched a J-drama before, so I can't compare. Really wish I could, though.

1/16/2010 #98
Vulpine Ninja

yea it's always like that XD. but the science stuff makes up for it.

Some Jdrama may seem a lil unrealistic, but when it comes to emotions... you can actually feel it yourself.

1/16/2010 #99
Mizzuz Spock

So...are J-dramas kind of like Japanese soap operas?

1/17/2010 #100
taerkitty

(Pardon the previous post - my mix-up.)

I wasn't familiar with the phrase before now, but Wikipedia redirects searches for j-drama to "Japanese Television Drama".

1/17/2010 #101
Mizzuz Spock

Ah. Yes. I knew that. I just haven't actually seen any. Unless you count...no, nevermind. That was Korean.

Good morning, Gossip forum! :3

My lurking time will be cut short today, as I have devoted myself to wrapping up the latest chapters of my story AND to paying back all bazillion reviews I have collected over the past two weeks. xD

A combination of procrastination, school, laziness, and scholarship applications kept me from doing anything productive. x[

And Current TV. I blame Current TV for everything. x3

1/17/2010 . Edited 1/17/2010 #102
taerkitty

If you blame TV for your writing woes, don't get me started on Hulu.com and NetFlix streaming video...

1/17/2010 #103
Mizzuz Spock

Hulu was awesome. Until they took down Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog and I actually had to BUY it to watch it. (I don't regret doing that, though. Not at all.) I'm too cheap for Netflix. Though I want it soooo bad. There are a million and a half movies I still need to watch before I die! xD

Current TV is mostly just a bunch of NEWS and political satire. And I'm so nerdy that I sit there and watch it.

And the sad thing is, CTV is where I get a lot of my inspiration from.

EDIT: So... I guess that's something productive. The idea button gets pushed, at least.

1/17/2010 . Edited 1/17/2010 #104
taerkitty

LOL. I advised writing up some news folly in a thread on Writer's Block. Take a news story, inflict it on your character. Write it. It'll suck because it obviously doesn't work, but doing this will help you think about what does work. And once that happens, roll back all the news-inspired dreck and start writing from the real story.

Thank God I'm not blocked, otherwise Foster would crash his SUV, have his wife beat the window open with a golf club, and ...

1/17/2010 . Edited 1/17/2010 #105
Mizzuz Spock

...we'd all realize he was TIGER WOODS! xD

1/17/2010 #106
taerkitty

I never said to post it, silly! The point is to write something, something you know is bad, and the back of your mind will go, "This is stupid. He'll never do this. He'll do that instead." GOTCHA! Buh-bye, block.

1/17/2010 #107
Mizzuz Spock

I've done that about five times with the beginning of the Dusk's Chapter Six... I can't get it "just right" and it's killing me. Maybe I should post my problem in the Writer's Block thread. Technically, I'm not blocked, but I am having trouble making the opening to the chapter work without it coming off as a blatant deus ex machina. xD

1/17/2010 #108
taerkitty

My other advice is to chop the last 10% of wordcount in your story, then start fresh from there. :)

There's always that option, you know.

1/17/2010 #109
Mizzuz Spock

The problem is...that's what I've been doing! D=

And I already have the actual chapter written. I'm happy with that. I just absolutely hate, hate, hate the way I got it started. So I'm trying to fix that...

1/17/2010 #110
K.M.Simpson

I have bad problems like that. Thats what makes me do another story, so you have more unfished stories to write. Lol

1/17/2010 #111
Mizzuz Spock

I hate leaving things unfinished. D=

It's like...

Ah, I'm too hungry to think of a good analogy. LUNCH TIME! :]

1/17/2010 #112
Mizzuz Spock

*sigh*

Anybody else upset by the lack of people who READ THE RULES?

It's ridiculous! :0

1/17/2010 #113
taerkitty

Re: Read the rules

Do you like my poll at the top of the In Search Of: Your Writing Partner thread?

1/17/2010 #114
Mizzuz Spock

Yep. It made me giggle. :3

Some people just...ugh. Really. Why are you here if you aren't going to READ things...?

1/17/2010 #115
Mizzuz Spock

*pokes dead thread with stick*

1/17/2010 #116
Vulpine Ninja

So...are J-dramas kind of like Japanese soap operas?

not exactly. Soap operas are endless lol. Well, it kinda depends on which drama you watch. Some may look like a real-life version of an anime (cos some of them are manga adaptations), thus lotsa LOL moments. But their romance is really sweet. However, some are good, some are bad. I recommend Hana Yori Dango and Nodame Cantabile.

enough of that... something random; though I started to hang out here for a few days I suddenly have the urge to write something that I never thought of writing before. Credits to you guys ofc. anyways... I'm ok with vampires, but i'm not a fan of them and they're getting overrated nowadays. But I do have a vampire character lurking inside my ideas bank, waiting to be used. I wanna go for it, but I worry about the story turning typical, although i know it's not another vampire romance crap. I wanna make a summary and an intro that does not give ppl an impression "oh not another vampire tale", but I still need to mention it at the very beginning (as a requirement for the whole plot). Vampire fans would most likely read it, but how do I make it appealing to non-vampire fans too? ('cos I tend to avoid vampire fics even if I like the genre, and I'm not sure what's the factor that makes me want to read one)

1/17/2010 #117
Mizzuz Spock

I think it moved... Ew.

1/17/2010 #118
taerkitty

Thread sez: "I'm not dead yet!"

Kitty sez:

Here's my take on it. Don't call it a vampire story. Don't make your protag dress in black, be so gaunt it's tragic, and, most importantly, lose the ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** fangs. (No, I didn't actually put in that many cuss words. I just typed asterisks.)

I wrote a 'vampire' story that went like this:

An Awakened (my name for the walking parasites) preys on humans at their moment of purest bliss, that most c*** of pleasures, that most secret of sins. By being present, he draws power. With that power, he deepens the intensity his partners feel. And it goes in an ever-raging spiral, the human quest for stronger sensation, the Awakened's lust for more power.

Some Awakened treat their thralls as disposable, but not our hero (of course not.) He kept his last one for a century. Awakened are not immortal, they learn to extend their lives. As for their thralls, taking that much ... passion, that's it, so frequently and deeply tends to weaken their hearts, shortening their lives. Our hero's first partner was a true partner in every sense of the word, and he used his ability on her to extend her life as well.

But, every good thing must end. She died, and he's now searching for a new partner. Someone special. Someone whose nights can be passionate and wild. Someone like, our heroine.

===

There. It's a vampire story in that it's about a human parasite who needs something unusual from other humans to get by. The classic vamp is blood. The Awakened takes what the French call, 'the little death'. They're near-immortal, they have powers, and.. oh, yes

The Awakened can never themselves experience the little death. And they were once human, so they know what they're missing.

1/17/2010 #119
Mizzuz Spock

Soap operas are endless lol. Well, it kinda depends on which drama you watch. Some may look like a real-life version of an anime (cos some of them are manga adaptations), thus lotsa LOL moments.

Lol, I didn't realize you posted! My post after yours makes me look kind of rude. xD

Ah, anyways. I think I may have seen a J-drama before, after reading your explanation. I watched Gokusen, once, because I really enjoyed the anime. I was actually kind of surprised that it was like an alternate storyline, more detailed, but the overall enjoyment was the same. :]

I'm ok with vampires, but i'm not a fan of them and they're getting overrated nowadays.

Agreed.

But I do have a vampire character lurking inside my ideas bank, waiting to be used. I wanna go for it, but I worry about the story turning typical, although i know it's not another vampire romance crap. I wanna make a summary and an intro that does not give ppl an impression "oh not another vampire tale",

I had the same feelings. But, at the same time, I couldn't deny what I was going for. My summary reads: "There's nothing sweet about being sixteen forever. Especially when you're pale, sullen, and gifted with freakish X-men-like powers. Just ask Stella Byrde. Being a vampire is such a killer on your love life. /Glampire free guarantee!/"

Even though I tried to make it appealing, I know it still sounds pretty typical. I've actually been told my summary is misleading and gives the wrong impression: that's it's going to be just another Twilight love story. It certainly doesn't help that I state Twilight as my inspiration. But. It is what it is.

My feeling is this: Just give a book a chance. First impressions hardly last, anyway.

Vampire fans would most likely read it, but how do I make it appealing to non-vampire fans too? ('cos I tend to avoid vampire fics even if I like the genre, and I'm not sure what's the factor that makes me want to read one)

Again, I have a similar problem. xD

Using the Twilight thing is a double-edged sword: I can win over some lovers and haters with the jokes, but I also push away a lot of potential readers because of it. I understand the Twipocalypse is a very, very bad thing, and there are lots of people who won't touch anything with the word "vampire" attached to because of this reason.

I would suggest that if you've got an idea, go for it. Don't worry about this vampire epidemic. The ones who will enjoy and appreciate your story will read it, and everybody else doesn't matter.

Rawrr. I hate it when I make long posts. It makes me sound like such a blatherer.

1/17/2010 #120
« Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: K.M.Simpson Not Over You, taerkitty
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member