Gossip Forum
A place where you can get reviews. Get tips on your work, and have fun and chat.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4
Phantom Rottweiler

"So, my question is this, do you review the root canal stuff in the hope that you can help the author improve? Do you just give them grief for being the literary equivalent of a napalm enema? Or do you do nothing?" (sorry, quote function not working for me today)

IMHO, what I do depends on how much I precieve can be done. If there seems to be room for improvement, I'll help out as much as possible but ultimately it's up to the author. If it's a total eye-gouge, I'll check their other works to see if there is room for improvement and if not, just back away without doin nothin'. But I never give anyone grief for being a literary napalm enema...that just ain't my style.

"keepy-uppy with my ..." Let me guess, you've been to the romance section?

To answer several posts above, I usually try to revise everything after a couple of days. Giving it a total top-to-bottom, paragraph by paragraph, sentence by sentence, chapter to chapter eagle eye check, then run it through (omitted name) that has a text to speech function for that extra oomph power hit.

3/19/2010 #91
Sputnik

What? I can't say testi1cles? It'll have to be knackers then.

Anyway, I meant keepy-uppy in a bad way. Where I'm from keepy-uppy is the act of keeping a football off the ground with your feet. A great deal of romance-fic up here is as effusively unerotic as a sheep in a gimp suit.

Sputnik

3/19/2010 . Edited 3/19/2010 #92
Phantom Rottweiler

I think this fits into reading and writing, so here we go. When writing a dream sequence, is it always italics, or could one skate around it by separating it like 'character falls asleep (insert dream here) character wakes up'. Or using another form of "reality-dream-reality" as in dashes or XLXLXL or that kind of thing?

Then comes in the use of parenthesis. Is it a good or bad thing to use 'em in a story? How common is it? Personally, I think it jolts the flow and adds in another voice, so I refrain from using them.

Lastly, is there a limit on M rated violence? The reason I'm asking these questions is because I'm working on one now that could very well be kicked off the site if some...um...easily offended person stumbles across it, even with warnings and the M rating.

Thoughts? Input? Personal experience?

3/26/2010 #93
Indestructible13

I'm just looking for some perspective here rather than any real advice, but what the hell:

How do the rest of you go about naming your chapters?

3/28/2010 #94
Anise Cary

Sputnik - I tend not to review stuff I can't stand to read. If I can't get past the first couple lines then forget it, I read enough crap in my day, comes from teaching middle school English :)

Rotti - I'm doing a story with flashbacks and I used the ellipsis and a line break then something to denote the person is back in the present, that would work with a dream sequence I'd think. I'd avoid the italics unless it's a short dream, big blocks of italics turn readers off. As for parentheses I try to avoid them, though in my free verse story I had to use them bc I used italics if someone other than the narrator was talking, italics is normally what I do to set off internal thoughts so in this case I used parentheses.

Indestructible - I've only named chapters in one story, and then I quit bc it was a PITA, with that one I tried to make it a short tease of the chapter itself

3/29/2010 #95
Sputnik

Ah, but now I've got a moral dilemma since this individual gave me a review, whats the nicest way to tell someone they're about as literate as George Bush?

3/30/2010 #96
Sputnik

"Lastly, is there a limit on M rated violence? The reason I'm asking these questions is because I'm working on one now that could very well be kicked off the site if some...um...easily offended person stumbles across it, even with warnings and the M rating."

I find that if you tag a story M then most people won't read the blasted thing, so you don't have too much to worry about. And anyway, what one person considers too much another may nod off reading, I should know I nearly got kicked out of a cinema for laughing at Hostel II (which is a terrible film by the way).

TTFN

Sputnik

3/30/2010 #97
Phantom Rottweiler

Yeah, it sucks that M isn't included in the default filter settings, bet most people don't know there are M fics w/o well...um...physical romance...

whats the nicest way to tell someone they're about as literate as George Bush?

If that's an insult, I'm hands off.

But, to get back on topic here, let me ask how would you react to someone giving you that kind of review? As that can clearly affect what you say. As an example, and I could be wrong here...but... point out what was good about said work, and respectfully say that you gave an honest attempt at reading it but couldn't get into it for X reason(s). And if necessary, follow up with strong encouragement to keep writing.

Others might have a different approach so I can't say that's the best way to go about it. Food for thought, no?

3/30/2010 #98
Kryptonian54

It's the writers Job to portray reality as it is and not as we wish it to be. That is what males a story in general intriguing. That is not to say reality can not be manipulated or bent, but rather that a story should set a general guideline for its reality. An example is werewolves being either violent or domicile. It dos not matter if others disagree with what you hace created, what matters is that you can feel proud off your work at the end of the day. I'm sick and tired of people complaining about something being too violent or too dark, people are violent and dark. If they don't want to face that reality then they should look elsewhere and leave those of us that do want to explore that aspect of humanity, alone.

1/4 #99
Kryptonian54

It's the writers Job to portray reality as it is and not as we wish it to be. That is what males a story in general intriguing. That is not to say reality can not be manipulated or bent, but rather that a story should set a general guideline for its reality. An example is werewolves being either violent or domicile. It dos not matter if others disagree with what you hace created, what matters is that you can feel proud off your work at the end of the day. I'm sick and tired of people complaining about something being too violent or too dark, people are violent and dark. If they don't want to face that reality then they should look elsewhere and leave those of us that do want to explore that aspect of humanity, alone.

1/4 #100
taerkitty

It's the reader's job to choose what she reads, what she accepts, and what she rejects. In this case, I choose the latter.

1/4 #101
« Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4
Forum Moderators: K.M.Simpson Not Over You, taerkitty
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member