Gossip Forum
A place where you can get reviews. Get tips on your work, and have fun and chat.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »
K.M.Simpson

Well I've always wanted to post a topic on summary ideas for those that are struggling, or for other people to give their ideas to others too.

So here you can swap and take summary ideas off the other. If you have someones idea off here, please let us know, so someone else dosent take it too.

xxxxxx

1/9/2010 #1
Vulpine Ninja

I'd like to give a little suggestion in writing summaries.

From my observation, a lot of summaries reflect how typical your stories are no matter how untypical you have decided to write. Be it just another cliche plot or a proclaimed unique one, a summary needs to be appealing, intruguing and mysterious. Sometimes you might have to add a lil spoiler, or sometimes you might have to exclude a key term. Just write something 'different' that does not directly show the main objective of the story.

A summary that goes like... "Miss A is a typical girl with a boring life, until a transfer student Mr. B comes along, everything changed...". From he we can already predict what is likely to happen, although our prediction may not be what you have in mind, therefore it doesn't really spark any interest. Try another way... I'm not sure what but be a little more creative.

I'm struggling with writing summaries myself, so I hope we can help each other out in the future ^^

1/9/2010 #2
K.M.Simpson

Here's a summary idea for who ever wants it.

It's romance Btw.

Keisha is a wild child, she loves to hit the clubs and party all night. It's come to point where her parents can't take her drunken behaviour that they hire someone to watch over her tewnty four seven.

1/9/2010 #3
Marina the Reviewer

I like it, kms!!! is that an actual story of yours?? cause i really want to read it:))

1/9/2010 #4
Vulpine Ninja

here's a couple of example of an awesome summary. some of you might come across this cos it's just a translation from a manga XD

1. 'I changed my hairstyle for you. I know you like how I look, when you look down on me. I kiss you there so you can look at my face on purpose.'

2. 'Look... Look... Look at me... This is the best way I know how to tell you. I love you more than I could ever imagine. I’ve finally mustered up my courage and have told you, “I love you” and all I got was “I don’t need you, bastard”. Why are you so adamant about not letting people get close to you?'

Really hot~

1/10/2010 . Edited by taerkitty, 1/11/2010 #5
K.M.Simpson

No Marian lol. I made it up random in my head. But I'm pretty good at summaries I got like a book full of them. And I just thought it would help for whoever wants it. So anyone can have the summary, if they do just tell us here, so someone else dosen't have it. :) I'm better at giving romance stories then any other genes. xxxx

1/10/2010 #6
taerkitty

Summary, up for grabs - just point me at the story and I'll give it an R/R.

Celia again set out the can of cat food at her porch. The large grey-stripped tabby drew near, again with a note tied to his collar. "Thank you for feeding him. Do you know who I am, yet?"

1/13/2010 #7
taerkitty

Here's another prompt:

Under guise of being an itinerant exorcist, priest secretly is collecting the thirty pieces of silver. A slandered and excommunicated nun races to stop him. She knows not what happens should he succeed, but fears the worst.

1/14/2010 #8
K.M.Simpson

Guys, I'm thinking of making a story with someone well writing lol. Anyone wanna take the offer to write one with me?

1/14/2010 #9
taerkitty

I'd like to post one a day, if no one minds. I find this somewhat fun.

Kotone raced to school, excited for the first time since she moved here. Natsumi-sempai's last day in Ritsumeikan Senior High School was Friday, and Kotone wasn't sorry to see her go. Now Takahiro was finally hers! That is, until she saw him walking to school with a girl she didn't recognize.

1/15/2010 #10
taerkitty

The bridge was built centuries ago by a grieving king over the narrows where his son drowned when attempting to cross. Villagers say it is haunted by the young prince's ghost. No one knew why Prince Mallou tried to steal away to the far shore that night, until now, when his ghost appears to Sylvie, descendant of the milkmaid who lived on the other side of the river.

1/16/2010 #11
K.M.Simpson

^^^

That's a good summary idea. If no one uses that in the future then I will.

Cause I love ghost stories. I've even ggone and brought the whole collection of Meg Cabots The Mediators

1/16/2010 #12
taerkitty

Here's one I posted in another thread, then:

I'm in love with my boyfriend's ghost. The student body president and gang bullied him into suicide back when we were all freshmen. My boyfriend loves me - he writes me notes, leaves me flowers. He forgot where he buried a ring he bought for me. I think that's what's keeping him here, the ring. If I find it, I'll lose him.

1/16/2010 #13
Mizzuz Spock

I have lots of ideas, but not a lot of them actually work. When they flatline, I just kind of bury them in the back of my mind...but I guess I can exhume their bodies and lay 'em out here for everyone to see. Maybe someone will get a spark of inspiration. :]

Ellie only tried out for that stupid gameshow because she lost a bet. She didn't actually expect to get picked to be one of the twenty-four women to compete for the love of Greg Sparks, the gorgeous and wealthy lead singer of that sorry excuse for a rock band called Quarterside, on national television. The guy is a total j*** and thinks he's God's gift to music. (Not to mention women.) He so isn't her type. But maybe, just maybe, Nathan the intern camera man is...

There's a hole in the River of Time. And the Timekeepers are not happy. Somebody has messed with the flow of destiny and fates have been drastically altered. It's all Griselda's fault, of course. But, hey. She didn't ask to be psychic. (And if she had, she certainly wouldn't have wanted her third eye to be visible, right smack in the middle of her forehead.) But was she really suppose to just stand there and let that assassin stick an arrow through that poor trelf's* head?

*A trelf is half troll, half elf. *shrugs* It seemed like a good idea at the time. xD

There were only two rules in Hell: One) Have fun! And two) Don't. Touch. The thermostat. Oh, yeah. Lucy was very clear about that last one. But I was in the mood for ice cream. And it kind of helps if it's cold...

1/16/2010 #14
taerkitty

"Elle" - if I didn't suck at romances, I'd go for this one! I love seeing an ego-lunatic get his, but I'd have a problem trying to keep Elle on the show. I'd make Nathan the exec producer, and Elle be someone who just happened to appeal to the show's target demographic. (Yeah, yeah. Let's say it all together now: "Mary Sue." What if I'm a 'suethor?' It's gonna be fun.) That way, the exec can say, "I run things and she stays," and Greg can say, "I'm the star and she goes."

Oh, and if I were feeling evil, I'd have Greg slowly come around, and for Elle to see the seamier side of the ratings game so her life isn't so simple...

"Griselda" - I can't see the physical third eye, too much of a physical liability, even in a fantasy setting (unless it's common for psychics, and charlatans, to manifest this ability this way.) I also can't see the Timekeepers gifting people with these third eyes and expecting them to sit and stare. I'm sure someone else with more creativity than me can do something with this, but this is beyond my skill level.

"Lucy" - I want to read this. What do you mean, this one is a deader? Your /Dusk/ shows that you can turn a trope with hilarious results. This one is just begging for your riotous pen!

1/16/2010 #15
Mizzuz Spock

"Elle" - if I didn't suck at romances, I'd go for this one! I love seeing an ego-lunatic get his, but I'd have a problem trying to keep Elle on the show. I'd make Nathan the exec producer, and Elle be someone who just happened to appeal to the show's target demographic. (Yeah, yeah. Let's say it all together now: "Mary Sue." What if I'm a 'suethor?' It's gonna be fun.) That way, the exec can say, "I run things and she stays," and Greg can say, "I'm the star and she goes."

See, I left my ideas open so others could play off them. x]

But my initial idea for this one was that she'd try to get out of it, but would be blackmailed by the producers. And Greg, oblivious to the producers, would continue to put Ellie through because he liked how she was playing hard to get. Throughout the show, Ellie would connect with the camera man and they'd have a thing going on. Towards the end of the show, she'd also start to fall (reluctantly) for Greg, going for that old cliche: Maybe he's not such a bad guy, even if he does write sucky music. In the climax scene, she was going to have to choose between Greg and Nathan. On national television. I could already hear the producer over the cameraman's headphones screaming, "YES!" Because the whole situation would be reality television gold.

Not going to say it doesn't have it's flaws, 'cuz it totally does. It was inspired by The Bachelor and Flavor of Love and all those other god-awful "find love" game shows. But it was a fun idea.

"Griselda" - I can't see the physical third eye, too much of a physical liability, even in a fantasy setting (unless it's common for psychics, and charlatans, to manifest this ability this way.)

Personally, I don't see the physical third eye as a problem. My philosophy: In the world of fantasy, anything goes. As long as the kind of fantasy world was established early on and kept consistent throughout the piece, I'm pretty sure Griselda storyline could work.

I also can't see the Timekeepers gifting people with these third eyes and expecting them to sit and stare. I'm sure someone else with more creativity than me can do something with this, but this is beyond my skill level.

The Timekeepers aren't responsible for the psychicness. The Timekeepers are a separate entity than the Gods of the world I'd created for this story. They help keep the balance of things in the Real World, and the River of Time resides in its own dimension entirely. The whole idea was heavily influenced by Terry Pratchett's Discworld.

Psychics can see the future, of course, though they don't necessarily have to do anything to change it. And who's to say that sometimes, if they change it, that that isn't what should have happened, anyway? All destinies intertwine and affect one another and sometimes, when there are holes in the River, they work themselves out. Something happens that sets fate back on track. In the case of Griselda, she wasn't suppose to interfere, and when she did, she screwed things up for the world, because the trelf was suppose to die. His death would have been a catalyst for several other destinies, but without him dying, there was no way to set it back on track. The story I picked out was complicated, which is exactly why I starved it of attention and slowly watched it die.

BUT. Should someone want to go along with that story, they are more than willing to take it whichever direction they want.

"Lucy" - I want to read this. What do you mean, this one is a deader? Your /Dusk/ shows that you can turn a trope with hilarious results. This one is just begging for your riotous pen!

I want to read this, too! xD

I'm still considering this story. But as of now, all my attempts have failed, so I'm offering this cadaver up, away from my Dr. Frankenstein mind. (I can never come up with a good ending.) :/

To be honest, I was thinking of adding this to Fired! and turning the whole story into just a collection of one-shots with reoccurring characters. (God, Satan [or Lucifer, in this case], Death, the angel, the demon here, and so on and so on...) The one-shots would almost be episodic in nature, so it wouldn't matter if you read the stories in order, you could still figure out what was going on and, if you had read the stories in order, then there was an added bonus for you. x]

1/16/2010 #16
taerkitty

I know I'm not the only one who wants to see Fired: The Anthology. Go for it!

1/16/2010 #17
Vulpine Ninja

to mizzus spock:

no comment on 'Lucy' and 'Griselda', but the summary of "Ellie" appeals me. :3 (sorry but this might be a lil OOT)

I'm sceptical towards matchmaking shows, so I think it'd be interesting to have a participant who's forced to enter. And I'm quite fond of hard-to-get girls. Anyways, the summary makes me wonder how Ellie would act in front of the camera. Since it's gonna be aired on TV, would she pretend to be enthusiastic about it or grumble in public? Now that's the curious part. And I'd love to see her interact with the other contestants and how they react to her attitude.

And as for Greg, since he was so used to having women fighting over him, unconciously he got bored of that and somehow finds a girl who's pushing him away kind of attractive. Let's say Quarterside IS a popular 'rock band' especially in the mainstream, and their popularity is most likely because of the band members' looks - especially Greg. Ellie has sensitive ears towards music, so in one of their dates Ellie blurted out what she thinks of his music. although Greg has heard negative critiques before, only Ellie's piercing words managed to open his eyes. So while getting to know her, his music slowly evolve (and maybe after the show ends, Quarterside new single/album got 5 out of 5 rating or something). As for Nathan... hmm... you can make Nathan her childhood or high school crush, so her romantic feelings towards him are based on how she felt for him in the past (a good reason why she's reluctant to admit that she's in love with Greg). She will confide to him when she's in trouble. Nathan is close to her because he knew her a long time ago, and possibly develop feelings for her too.

how about adding a lil twist? Greg chose someone else over Ellie (avoid having a typical b*** as a finalist, make her the second best thing) because he notices that she seems to have eyes on Nathan. After the show is over, some time later he dumped the winner and looks for Ellie (by then she's either in a relationship with Nathan or just broke up with him, thinking of Greg and regret treating him badly) for she's his greatest inspiration. Another twist? Nathan is a married man (with children?) cheating on his wife..? XD

Sorry if I'm giving too much suggestions. it's because I really love your idea, i wish it's mine - but i won't steal it ofc (it's dishonourable to do so). This is a rather different kind of harem theme. I'd love to read it, please PM me when you're done with the first chapter!

1/16/2010 #18
K.M.Simpson

But this is why you're on this topic to switch ideas lol.

1/16/2010 #19
Mizzuz Spock

Sorry if I'm giving too much suggestions. it's because I really love your idea, i wish it's mine - but i won't steal it ofc (it's dishonourable to do so). This is a rather different kind of harem theme. I'd love to read it, please PM me when you're done with the first chapter!

Honestly, I was never actually going to pursue it. I give you full permission to use this story idea, if you so wish. You don't even have to credit me. The idea certainly isn't helping me any. It's just taking up space in my head. If you want to take it, please, be my guest. :]

Oh, and:

Since it's gonna be aired on TV, would she pretend to be enthusiastic about it or grumble in public?

In my version, I definitely made her a grumbler. Especially after she was blackmailed into staying on the show. She wasn't allowed to tell Greg about the deal, of course, and she couldn't say anything about it on national television, but she tried to make life hell for the producers...which usually backfired, as it raised the ratings for the show. ;]

Btw, if you decide to take this idea, you can change the band's name. I couldn't actually come up with anything cool, so I just made a pun on Nickelback. "Quarterside?" Yeeeeeeah... xD

1/16/2010 . Edited 1/16/2010 #20
Vulpine Ninja

why, thanks for the offer!

But I'm not sure I can write this kind of thing. I haven't watched a reality TV show for a long time, and I have no idea how it's like behind the scenes - it's gonna be a problem for me to develop it. I could take the plot and alter the setting though. Can't promise you that I'd write it out, but if I do I'll let you read. In the meantime, just let other people take this idea and do it their way (and let me know when it's ready!)

1/16/2010 #21
K.M.Simpson

Daizy was a computer freak, she lived for the computer. You could understand why though, she was ugly and had never kissed a boy in her life, not to mention anti- social. So what happens when she gets sucked into her computer by a virus, and lives in the microsoft world. That happens to be runned by a hot dude.

I had to post this, because it was a random idea that just come to my head. I'm enjoying writing summaries for people.

1/16/2010 #22
Mizzuz Spock

But I'm not sure I can write this kind of thing. I haven't watched a reality TV show for a long time, and I have no idea how it's like behind the scenes - it's gonna be a problem for me to develop it.

This could help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reality_television

There's an interesting bit in there about how some reality TV shows reenact certain scenes that weren't caught right the first time on camera. (I can actually vouche for this. Extreme Home Makeover: Home Addition came to my town once, and they filmed the bus pulling up about ten times. Probably more.) So this would make me think that the cameras aren't on twenty-four seven in a dating reality show, to give the characters freedom from the cameras. (Especially at night?) I don't know. Most people probably don't know the difference. If you can make it somewhat believable, no one will question it. xD

This is what inspired the idea, so it wouldn't hurt to read up on some Flavor of Love history, either: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flavor_of_Love

1/16/2010 . Edited 1/16/2010 #23
K.M.Simpson

There's big brother, that I watched over in the uk. Thats reality tv show. You should look reality tv shows up on youtube. That helps alot too. And I'm a celebrity, I know the states have that too.

1/16/2010 #24
Vulpine Ninja

Thanks guys. I'll think about it. I'm still struggling with my own truckload of ideas, and rather busy with my studies atm. Not to mention writer's block (should have a topic for that too).

1/16/2010 #25
taerkitty

I'm still struggling with my own truckload of ideas

If the ideas are distracting you from your writing (and studies) then dump them down on paper as prompt. If you're feeling generous, post them here.

Sometimes, I get an idea that just consumes me. I'll jot it down and let it simmer there, then turn back to my original story. Maybe.

1/16/2010 #26
Mizzuz Spock

Here's an idea I always wanted to write, but never could:

The boy made of fire fell in love with the girl made of ice. It wasn't forbidden love, exactly. Just impossible. If he touched her, she'd melt. If she melted, she'd put out his fire. And then they'd both be dead. So how was this supposed to work?

I never knew how to actually go about it, though. I think this would be a wonderful piece, especially for some flowery prose. Maybe it could even be done in poetry form? (Still over my head, so I won't attempt it.)

If anybody can use that idea (in any way, shape, or form), please, take it.

1/17/2010 #27
taerkitty

Another one, up for grabs. My feeling is you can't steal ideas. You can steal plots, characters, style, settings, dialogue, but core ideas? If you could, the ancient Greeks would sue Joseph Campbell while he's suing George Lucas.

Ken's family is rich, so why does he need to work right after college? And at their office across the country from school, and from his heartfelt love, Mei? At the airport security checkpoint, he gives her a check made out to the airline. Signed, but no amount filled in. On the memo line was "Only valid on," and today's date.

1/17/2010 #28
K.M.Simpson

I agree, you can never steal an idea, because I've saw alot of people on tv programmes and films have the same ideas.

1/17/2010 #29
Mizzuz Spock

You can steal plots, characters, style, settings, dialogue, but core ideas?

This is exactly what Christopher Paolini did with his books. Eragon is Star Wars with dragons. I'm not going to get too in-depth on this subject. (I know I will start ranting, and nobody wants to see Mizzuz rant.)

And, technically, ideas alone aren't copyrighted. If I wanted to write a story exactly like Twilight except replace the sparkly vampires with piranha mermaids that glow in the moonlight, I could, and Miss Meyer would have nothing on me.

1/17/2010 #30
Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: K.M.Simpson Not Over You, taerkitty
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member