Gossip Forum
A place where you can get reviews. Get tips on your work, and have fun and chat.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Poll
I agree to the rules for "In Search Of: Your Writing Partner"
1 I can't be arsed to read these rules. I'm just selfish that way.
2 Yes
View Poll Result. Please vote for one of the choices.
taerkitty

We know there are some reviewers that really 'get' our stories - they understand the genre, the mood, the theme, the style that we use. They share the same appreciation of the source material. And, most importantly, they give us the kind of review we really, really, really want. (Even if it hurts a bit.)

It'd be nice if we could pair up like that; have someone we know isn't reading and reviewing one of your pieces just to say s/he's reviewed something in order to post their own story on the review request thread. You write something for the partnership, and s/he reviews it. S/he writes something for the partnership, you review it. This doesn't limit you to only writing stuff for the partnership, just your expectation of your partner in terms of which of your works s/he'll be reviewing.

===

To join in on the fun, post an "In Search Of" reply to this thread describing aspects of your writing:

- Your genre for this partnership. List only one. ("Oh, I like this, and that, and sometimes the other thing" will not work - your partner will likely have to match your whole list, otherwise there's a danger you'll work on something that is not to hir interest.)

Remember, a genre is more than just 'fantasy'. Historical? Modern? High? Asian? Try to narrow it down as best you can.

- Your turn-offs. Some people hate first person POV. Others will refuse to read anything that starts with a "Surprise! You're dreaming" opening.

- Your writing strengths.

- Your writing weaknesses.

- Your reviewing strengths.

- Your reviewing weaknesses.

- How long each piece of your work is.

- How long your review are, when reading a piece similar to your own.

- How often you write.

- How quickly you expect a review. (For mercy's sake, let's start at three days, please.)

- A sample piece of your writing. Remember, not your best. Ideally, this is one that hasn't been revised to death. You'll be sharing cleaned-up first drafts, so best to give a sample of what your partner should expect, because that's what s/he'll get.

- A sample piece you reviewed. If it's a multi-chapter work and you feel a particular review best represents your reviewing ability, make sure to say so.

- Most importantly, how serious you are about improving as a writer. Nothing is more disheartening to a reviewer than to have to note the same shortcoming over and again. Be honest here. If writing is just a hobby and you don't expect to improve from where you are, then your future partner will know to expect that, and review accordingly.

If you're completely not serious about improving but want to participate, feel free. We used to call those 'mutual admiration societies.' Nothing wrong with writing for fun and the warm fuzzies of someone reading it and saying, "Love it! Write more!" if that's what you're expecting.

===

Whew, that's a long list. You can post less if you want, but chances of successfully finding a long-term partner will not be as good.

Anyhow, post your reply, then go back to edit it with a "Found one" when you've found someone. I'd advise not erasing the description - it took a while to fill out, and you may find yourself needing it again, sad to say.

If you see someone who matches your wants and needs, PM them, don't post a "Hey, SoAndSo. Are you still looking?"

There's nothing limiting this to a partnership. Law partnerships have multiple members, so why can't we? Just make sure all existing partners agree to the new person first.

You can share documents using email, or DocX on FP, or just post 'em and beat on them in public. You can say you're a review partner or let it be your secret. The point is to pair like-minded people up.

You can post multiple separate and different replies, one for each type of work / style of writing. Post one for your poetry and another for your prose. Or one for your Friendship and another for your Horror genres.

===

For your convenience, here's the 'application form' again:

- Your genre for this partnership.

- Your turn offs. (Optional)

- How long each piece of your work is. (Approximately)

- How often you write.

- How quickly you expect a review.

- A sample piece of your writing.

- A sample of your reviews.

- How serious you are about improving as a writer.

===

Remember, don't reply to any posting here in the thread. Use PM. Also, don't discuss someone's 'application.' "I think it's really unfair that you refuse to read slash. Are you homophobic or something?" is again best settled in PM.

Applications only. And remember to edit them with a "Found" when you're partnered.

1/16/2010 . Edited 1/16/2010 #1
taerkitty

Modern Fantasy. There are people with paranormal powers / supernatural abilities / or just plain magic that walk among us in secret.

Classic vampires. Blah, blah, I vant to read something else.

High school as primary setting. I remember mine well enough. Shudder.

Fanfic, even with the identities changed to protect the guilty. Warp factor get-me-outta-here!

Lots of 'tell' in writing. Don't narrate the setting, let the customer play tour guide. But not obviously.

I feel dialog tags (e.g., "he said, 'something.') is a form of tell, so I try to avoid them.

We can't avoid tropes. It's a landmine. There are so many of them. But if I feel the author isn't at least trying to make the story original, I feel cheated.

Dialogue. I may be deprecating myself, but better to sell what I know I have. I write good dialogue.

Showing who's talking. I keep getting reviews that I'm too confusing. (I'm sorry! I'm working to improve it, seriously!)

Characterization and character development. Remember what I said about fanfic? I'm a bit of a hypocrite. While I don't take someone else' canon lock-stock-and-everything, I do admire many characters and my characters sometimes show their genealogy a bit too blatantly.

Flow. It's actually a reviewing weakness, too - if the piece doesn't flow, I have a really, really hard time reading it.

Homonyms. "They went they're separate ways." Ugh. Breaks the flow.

Plot inconsistencies. "But you said before he hated the city. Why's he going there as the first choice?" Breaks the .. yeah, that.

Tense shifts. Heck, just about everything breaks the flow.

Poetry. I've a stone ear for poetry.

Effective opening and closing for each piece (chapter) of the tale.

Spelling. I catch some, but not enough. Same with punctuation and grammar.

Theme and other subtle aspects. Also if the story is just about tension and low-key emotions. I'm a larger-than-life writer, with very un-subtle characters.

Around 1.5K words per chapter.

Varies, but at least three paragraphs:

1. Opening Effectiveness

2. Closing Effectiveness

3. Overall Impressions

Usually, I add in two or more 'moments,' either praise-worthy turns of the phrase, or places where I disagree with what's done, usually because it disrupts the flow.

- How often you write.

Varies. For purposes of the partnership, I'll submit one piece a week.

Let's say five days. That's a lie, but I'm trying to be reasonable. We all have our own stories, other reviews we owe, and some of us even have real life outside FP...

I only have one active piece, Foster's Gambit.

Rise Of The Dead: Year One, chapter one.

Uh... somewhat? I have a job, and it beats me up pretty good. I know I won't be published, so I'm not aiming that high. I figure there's no point doing something if I'm not trying to get better at it, but I'm really crippled in seeing nuances, so I know I have a ceiling.

1/16/2010 . Edited 1/16/2010 #2
bookwormbelle

Your genre for this partnership.

Eh, I suppose fantasy? Modern fantasy? I have no idea to be honest. Is trippy a genre? That's a word often used to describe Guerrilla Smoke (:

Stories the focus on high school, or middle school, drama. I'm 19 and I've been out of high school for only 2 years but I have no intentions of going back.

Telling instead of showing

Poor spelling

Mostly, I don't like romance stories.

Uhm, this is hard for me. I have a severe lack of confidence in my writing. I guess, my ideas, or concepts, are my strengths. As far as mechanics, grammar, and spelling go, I'd say I'm average.

TENSES!!!! They shift all the time (and not on purpose)

I really like to tell the author how the story reads. Is it smooth and does it flow nicely? Or does the story read like a news article, or is it choppy?

I don't like to focus on grammar and spelling in reviews, but if there's something obvious or something that really bugs me, I'll mention it.

Uhm, well my only active piece is 1500 words. So I suspect the next chapters will be approximately the same length.

It depends on the piece. They can be really long and I can talk about everything from the characters, to the plot, to the setting. Or they can be really short and to the point. I don't try to sugar coat anything, but I try not to offend.

- How often you write.

Not often enough. 30 hours of work + a full time school schedule = less time for fun stuff, especially writing.

Oh, uhm, I would say a week or so. I get very busy, I expect others do as well, so I don't expect reviews to come right away.

Guerrilla Smoke

Why She Won't Talk

Behind the Purple Eyes

I don't plan on publishing anything, but I do want to improve. I have been out of the writing habit for about 4 or 5 years now and I do miss it.

1/16/2010 #3
SpicaCentauri

~ Supernatural, Mystery, Romance, Friendship, Poetry, Life, a little of Fantasy, Hurt/Comfort, and everything else. Yes, I'm not that picky. Except for Horror/Thriller. I read them, but I don't do them.

~ Vampires, werewolves, anything that remotely suggests Twilight. Twilight is fine. Just don't rub it in my face.

~ Uh...slash. Yaoi stuff. And sex. Just not comfortable about it. After all, I'm only 13.

~ Grammatical and/or spelling errors.

~ Plots that aren't original, stories with great ideas but aren't carried out well, plagiarism. Even if I haven't been here for too long to notice anything like that.

~ Description. I'm a proofreader, so I don't have a lot of errors...I think. People say I'm a good writer, though I have low self-confidence, so I don't really think that's true...Yeah.

~ I might be out-of-touch with the story from time to time if I ever I haven't approached it for a period of time. And...well...that.

~ Spotting errors. I'm nitpicky, and I'm sorry about that. Also...recognizing flaws in the flow of the work/article/story/poem.

~ If ever I have any kind of weakness, it's if I like a particular story, I get all fangirly and forget to offer constructive criticism.

~ For each chapter? 1,500 - 2,000 words.

~ Depends on my mood. If I find errors, mistakes and/or flaws, it can be really long. If I like it, it's short.

- How often you write.

~ Whenever my mom allows me to use my laptop, and if I don't have schoolwork. Which means I basically write on weekends. And not even every weekend.

~ I never expect a review. If they want to say something, good. I appreciate that. But they have the choice to forego it, too. I'm not that demanding.

~ Ripples

~ Birds On A Tree

~ Hidden

~ Why She Won't Talk by white wolf97

~ A Reflection Through The Heart by Elyssa Gosling

~ Cherri Raindrop by cookiewolf

Very serious. I'm not halfway there yet. I'm okay, I guess, considering. But I'm not that satisfied yet. I need more cause for improvement.

1/17/2010 #4
Vroooommmmmm

Mostly Fantasy - preferably ancient, Asian or even high will do...modern fantasy is ok if the plot is interesting.., Action, suspense

- Your turn offs. (Optional) First Person Stories, romance(if they are couple with any of the genres above i wouldnt mind but if it is full time romance then i dont think so)

- Your writing strengths.Well People say my describing sense is good...and certain dialogues. My style of writing is ancient fantasy.

- Your writing waknesses.I tend to get my dialogues to be a little stiff as my language is ancient so many people find it tough...some tense issues and punctuation isues which I am now rectifying.

- Your reviewing strengths. For fantasy, i check the opening and the closing, proper showing of what the characters do and the overall plot consistency

- Your reviewing weaknesses.I wont tell you about tenses as I am suffering from them myself....I find it tuff to write modern fantasies so tuff to review those...

- How long each piece of your work is. (Approximately)On an average around 1.6k words per chapter

- How long your review are, when reading a piece similar to your own. The review will be long depending on the interest that plot generates. As I said if the opening and closing is effective, I may go further.

- How often you write. Around 7 hours a day...ie when I get the time. the rest depends on my mood.

- How quickly you expect a review. atleast 3days

- A sample piece of your writing.only 1 piece rite now. http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2760472/1/The_Hashims_Part_1_The_Summoninganother action might be coming up....once I get through half the above piece

- How serious you are about improving as a writer

Well, I am quite serious about it, atleast to become a fantasy writer...I wanna be published sometime in my life...so I am constantly vying for improvements...Any constructive criticisms on my stories will be indeed welcome.

1/20/2010 #5
Vulpine Ninja

-Medieval fantasy

-Supernatural/fantasy in Alternate Universe

-Slash (slash of life still acceptable)

Your turn offs.

-Too many cussing / bad language / excessive potty mouth

-Too much POV switching in one chapter.

-The transition to another scene happens too quickly, or too quick to jump into a relationship or falling in love without a solid reason. I’m ok with slow paced and flat chapters, but nothing too fast.

-Even if I like slash, I don’t fancy the main character to be openly gay.

-Typical high school story; with girl-next-door versus prep or dork versus jock plot.

-Straight to the point romance. Typical romance etc.

-In spite of my fetish for manga, anime and video games, I’m not fond of reading a ‘novel’ whose story is more suitable to be told graphically.

-when I detect that the author does not do his homework for a 'heavy' story. (lack of research is fail)

-When I cannot feel the character's emotions.

Your writing strengths.

-I write emotions in details

-I have complicated characters and character relationships. I pay a lot of attention to develop them.

-I use a lot of metaphors and symbolisms, the way I write may sound kind of poetic.

-My writing style differs depending on whose (character) POV I’m using. This is to sync with their personality. So sometimes I will purposely reduce my competency.

-I do a lot of research, so a lot of my terms, key items or elements will be based on a legend/myth/history.

Your writing weaknesses.

-Slangs, especially American (because I’m not one)

-I suck at describing a objects or locations, especially when the subject is detailed.

-Because I pay too much attention on character developments, the story development might slack a little.

-I don’t fully understand the culture or subcultures in the west, so I either use my country as a setting or an imaginary world. If it is set somewhere outside my country, then my description on the weather, environment and season would be rather vague.

Your reviewing strengths.

-The pace of the story

-I like to analyze the themes, the message etc. Especially if the story is more than meets the eye.

-Detecting the suitability of the story, and pointing out how the scenes are supposed to be arranged.

Your reviewing weaknesses.

-I usually overlook spelling mistakes.

-I tend not to notice grammar mistakes, especially if the story is good. Unless the mistake is too obvious.

-Inconsistent. Most of the time it’s a mere comment. I rarely give criticism.

-Too personal. As in, I want the writer to write the way I prefer.

-I only review if the story is worthy for my opinion, be it bad or good.

How long each piece of your work is. (Approximately)

-Average of 2726.6 words per chapter. Equivalent to 6 pages per chapter.

How long your review are, when reading a piece similar to your own.

-I have no idea, but probably quite long because I would do some comparison.

How often you write.

-Once or twice a week.

How quickly you expect a review.

-As soon as possible. Or else I may stop writing lol.

A sample piece of your writing.

Sunlight and Garlic ( It's a story about a half-vampire, how he was raised, how he grew up, how he deals with his life challenges etc. No romance. Not your typical vampire story. :P )

A sample of your reviews.

Little Lily of the Valley (old one)

Tracer: Chapter 1-6 (recent)

How serious you are about improving as a writer.

I’m not planning to publish anything and get my books known worldwide. But I like to challenge myself, so I do have the spirit to improve. However, I have to concentrate more on my studies or my field. Therefore, I think my seriousness is just 70%.

2/1/2010 . Edited 2/1/2010 #6
empurple
- Your genre for this partnership. Mostly romance, actually. Together with occasional fantasy (as in Blue-Rose Mansion), Supernatural (Loving the Black Cat) and maybe hints of drama, humor, friendship and hurt/comfort. - Your turn offs. (Optional) Wrong grammar seriously. There are just some stories very annoying to read when you can't understand anything. And stories that could be good, but theyre more of bad because of the lack of clicking the enter button on the keyboard. - Your writing strengths. Romance. I always try to be in proper grammar and spelling and when I get too into my work, I am always pleased with my end result. I also think I can (can but not really) write better in first person because I can feel all the emotion. - Your writing weaknesses. Tenses, especially moving ones. And I can't seem to write in present tense. Also, I have a hard time with full descriptive details. - Your reviewing strengths. I tell them what I really think, more so, on what I understand as a reader. - Your reviewing weaknesses. I usually write short reviews and I sugar-coat a lot. (Sometimes using a Kiss-Kick-Kiss comment) - How long each piece of your work is. (Approximately) Averagely 2000+ words - How long your review are, when reading a piece similar to your own. Like I have said, usually short. Occasionally one-liners. - How often you write. I actually write a lot, but I dont get to post them too much because of lack of time. School usually takes most of my time, especially now that I am trying to salvage my grades. So, one-shots I finish quickly but my multi-chapter stories (Love Story and Blue-Rose Mansion) are going to take a while... - How quickly you expect a review. I dont exactly want to wait too long (like a month) for a review but I dont mind waiting a week. I dont go online everyday myself. - A sample piece of your writing. Loving the Black Cat and Whispers from the Dead. - A sample of your reviews. Secret Love by Blueeee - How serious you are about improving as a writer. I have school keeping me busy five days a week, often turning to seven days a week when I get my chemistry and geometry going, but most of my notebooks do have drabbles in them already so I guess I really want to improve somehow. Im willing to take this seriously. And Im not planning to have anything Ive written to be published worldwide anyway. I just want to be proud of something I do. So, Im about 75% serious.
2/26/2010 . Edited 2/26/2010 #7
xRayne wolfx

Whatever really :) I'm a experimental writer at the moment

I also like Slash and dark angst adventures

Your turn offs.

high school story; with girl-next-door versus prep or dork versus jock plot

Not able to feel the character's emotions

Preppy-like fics

Your writing strengths.

Character development, the plots

Your writing weaknesses.

Grammar, tenses, sentcence structures, somewhat bad in spelling

Your reviewing strengths.

Looking at the plot, character, and heart towards the story..

Your reviewing weaknesses.

I'm not a expert at editng so I cannot point out anyone's mistakes very well..

How long each piece of your work is. (Approximately)

Verys between 500 to 2,000 on mircosoft word

How long your review are, when reading a piece similar to your own.

Some short, some long..

How often you write.

Everyday when I don't have any homework or other things to do

How quickly you expect a review.

-As soon as possible. Or else I may stop writing lol.

A sample piece of your writing.

Jester

A sample of your reviews.

http://www.fictionpress.com/r/2692008/

How serious you are about improving as a writer.

Very serious :) I wanna earn a degree in creative writing and become a good author one day.. Its one of my few dreams in life so I'm willingly to do whatever it takes to become better

9/26/2010 #8
Forum Moderators: K.M.Simpson Not Over You, taerkitty
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member