Mages RP
Mages populate the nations, bending the powers of life to their will for good or ill. Join, create your own species or magic powers if you want, and shape the world.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 Next »
Catorrina

This is based on an idea my friends and I came up with a while ago. Anyway, it shouldn't be too complicated...just different. Here's a description of what types of spells each one will be using (just a general idea), and a description of how they'll be viewed in the story, or by any NPCs. I'm going to add any elements suggested by members to this post and the one below it (Creator's names will be in bold before the element, besides my own creations), so it's easy to see which ones "passed" and are being used. If it's not mentioned in the top two posts, then it's either being considered, or has been declined (there will be a message below the posts explaining why)

Creativity is allowed within reason, so if it's not mentioned in the element, your mage may still attempt it... for instance, if they are an Earth mage, they may try to create an earthquake or small chasm, even though that's not part of the description, and a wind mage could, say, push air away from an enemy to suffocate them, but no mage has the ability to instantly kill another.

"Natural Elements"

Your basic magic spells and such. Each person must control at least one of these elements to be considered a true mage. Anyone not holding these elements is either a mortal or practices a different art.

Fire: Raging infernos and powerful fireballs. More physical and destructive. It's more for the outright attackers than anything else

Water: Controlled streams of water and the ability to breath underwater. Still powerful (you can't turn back the tide) but in a quieter way. Mages with the water element are stealthy, and can be a bit manipulative too.

Earth: Tangling vines and shields of earth. The defenders mostly. They can hold their own in a fight, and won't give any ground. They can be seen as stubborn even outside of battle.

Air: Tornadoes and the like. Those who control air aren't typically as strong as the others. They would be overpowered quickly in a fight, if they could be caught. Naturally, those who control air are capable of using it to slow their opponent, blind them, or use the wind to knock them to the ground (or keep themselves from falling) Like the relentless gales they control, these mages have a lot of stamina and speed to them. They are also very quick thinkers.

Storms: Spells speak for themselves. The storm mages can summon lightning and thunder, and are more than a match in strength to the fire mages. Their powers, however, take a good deal more skill to control, and take longer to fully understand. As such, the younger mages are prone to making mistakes, and the older ones rather...arrogant.

Beasts: A bit of a supporter to the earth mages. Some hardly consider beast mages to be mages at all. They possess a strong connection to animals, and can summon nearby ones to attack, or if they are skilled enough, create one of their own. They're by far the most loyal and friendly of the mages, and prefer to travel with one or two companions.

Ice: Dagger-like icicles and shields of ice. The ice mages are a balance between all others. Not as strong as fire, not as fast as air, not as sturdy as earth, but somewhere in the middle. The ice they control can take shape into almost anything, meaning that they have to be quick on their feet. They are the strategists above all else. In general, they are friendly, although somewhat detached from others.

Dimensional: Travel between dimensions at will. These mages can disappear freely into the spirit realms where magic originates, using it as a portal for short distance travel or protection, though it's heavily taxing on the mind and body. A rare ability acquired only when a Dimensional mage brings a pupil to the spirit realms.

(Jade Lin Zheng)Take-Over magic: the ability to 'copy' the body of a creature and convert any part of your own body into that. Enhances yourself depending on what you copied.

(Jade Lin Zheng)Invoking: The ability to summon beings and creatures that you have made a contract with. By forging special keys, you can be allowed to summon the physical forms of the zodiacs, but only if they agree to fight with you.

(Writing-Is-Fun)Barrier magic: The ability to erect a magic force field or shield to protect against attacks.

(StarInTheSuperNova)Energies: the mage can take energy from the different elements, wind, storms and fire being the best and convert it into a kind of power like electricity, which they can then manipulate

(Th3y3ll0wd4rt)Blood: To blood mages, an injury is just another way to kill their enemies. Mages who use blood magic can create weapons and increase their power, performing complex rituals to make themselves immortal. The best blood mages can use the wounds of others to take blood and manipulate it in their own twisted minds.

(Th3y3ll0wd4rt)Bone: Bone mages know no pain. Using magic to twist their own bones in grizzly weapons. They can change their bone structure to make themselves into horrible monsters. There has never been a bone mage that hasn't gone crazy from all the pain the manipulations put on their body. The greatest of the bone mages can not only twist their bones, but the bones of others with nothing but a simple touch.

(Writing-is-Fun)Portal: Inter-dimensional powers active that cause everything to be sucked into a black hole.

(Writing-is-Fun)Buffering: Magic that cancels out other magic, but in the course of usage of it nobody can uses magic.

(Undertaker667)Magma: Combining earth and Fire, the User can control the burning power of flames and the destructive power of earth to create Magma. There are offensive and defensive capabilities(For offensive and defensive types, see Undertaker667's post below.)

(SetTheSkyOnFire)Mind: Not quite telepathic, but can pluck ideas out of people's heads, make them forget things, or put suggestions in their heads, rather like post-hypnotic suggestion. Also, they can make people believe that things are true. For instance, they could make someone believe that they were in extreme pain, or that they were in absolutely no pain at all even when they were bleeding to death.

(WiF)-Some mages can also practice empathy, allowing them to sense the emotions and thoughts of others.

(Writing-Is-Fun) Silent- Mages can control and generate sound waves. Some skilled ones can combine this power with "Light" to make themselves completely invisible.

1/12/2010 . Edited 8/17/2013 #1
Catorrina

"Extra Elements"

Whatever else you may add. Let it be known that these elements typically MUST be paired with one of the natural elements, as these ones are far more difficult to wield, meaning an apprentice mage would likely have learned something else already, just to get by. Also, if something is not listed, you may add it to the list.

These are powerful elements which give the user great power- often at great cost. Whoever uses it will often do so at the expense of massive energy, life force, or their humanity. Be warned.

Light: The powers typically associated with goodness and purity, though in all truth it can be anything but. Those with this skill can fire beams of light and energy and may also bend sunlight and other forms of light to their will, creating illusions if they are skilled enough.

(Catorrina)Darkness/(Writing-Is-Fun)Necromancy: Can be used as one and the same or two different things. Darkness is the power of night and shadows. Some mages may be able to use the darkness to consume another being or their souls, and may also travel by shadows. Necromancers have at least a decent mastery of this skill, and are able to manipulate souls and raise the dead- with limitations.

Twilight: A power caught in between the two forces of light and darkness. It is a mysterious power, that is the most unpredictable.

(Writing-Is-Fun)Futuresight/time: These mages are able to see glimpses of the future, past, or another place in the present. They may manipulate time to their will.

(Writing-Is-Fun)Planet: Very powerful magic that allows one to control gravity. Especially strong ones can tap into the life force of the planet itself.

(Writing-Is-Fun)Dragon: Allows one to use the powers of dragons including shape shifting, summoning rain, breathing fire, flight, etc.

(Writing-Is-Fun)Demon: Allows one to use the powers of demons including shape shifting, massive strength, dark energy, flight, etc.

4/27/2010 . Edited 5/24/2011 #2
Jade Lin Zheng

Here's an element that I think would go well with the Beast Magic. Take-Over magic. the ability to 'copy' the body of a creature and convert any part of your own body into that. Enhances yourself depending on what you copied.

6/4/2010 #3
Catorrina

Sweet! I never would have thought of that!

6/4/2010 #4
Jade Lin Zheng

Invoking - The ability to summon beings and creatures that you have made a contract with. By forging special keys, you can be allowed to summon the physical forms of the zodiacs, but only if they agree to fight with you.

6/8/2010 #5
Catorrina

Approved.

6/8/2010 #6
Writing-Is-Fun

Barrier magic is going to be where a mage can erect a magic force field or shield to protect against attacks.

6/9/2010 #7
Ink and tea-leaves

Energies? Where the mage can take energy from the different elements, wind, storms and fire being the best and convert it into a kind of power like electricity, which they can then manipulate?

7/16/2010 . Edited 7/16/2010 #8
MoshiSquared

Alright, I've got two

Blood: To blood mages, an injury is just another way to kill their enemies. Mages who use blood magic can create weapons and increase their power, performing complex rituals to make themselves immortal. The best blood mages can use the wounds of others to take blood and manipulate it in their own twisted minds.

Bone: Bone mages know no pain. Using magic to twist their own bones in grizzly weapons. They can change their bone structure to make themselves into horrible monsters. There has never been a bone mage that hasn't gone crazy from all the pain the manipulations put on their body. The greatest of the bone mages can not only twist their bones, but the bones of others with nothing but a simple touch.

Note: Bone mages should drink plenty of milk

7/19/2010 #9
Catorrina

Great!

7/22/2010 #10
Billy-bill

I gots one

Necromancer: Can reanimate dead bodies to be their undead soldiers, can also summon demons, how strong the undead are all depends on how creative they can get and how much of their magic they put into the bodies, and how strong the demons they summon are depends on how powerful they, the necromancer, themselves are, they are usually weaker than the necromancer to keep them from betraying the necromancer. They're usually cold and sadistic, preferring to keep to themselves.

8/9/2010 #11
Writing-Is-Fun

Go the awesomeness of Portal magic! Inter-dimensional powers active that cause everything to be sucked into a black hole! Otherwise say hello to a fancy door to somewhere.

Has anyone ever thought of Buffering magic? Magic that cancels out other magic, but in the course of usage of it nobody can uses magic. Thus it turns into fisticuffs fight to the death.

Finally pure RAGE! Reality Altering Great Evil magic. The kind of stuff that is so forbidden they just call forbidden magic. Simply cause its too dangerous to even use. Pump your most evil organ to the max and prepare to send your friends and foes on a rampage for breaking the natural order of the universe.

If one is ready to be serious call my agent. He knows tons of magic tricks.

9/16/2010 #12
Writing-Is-Fun

That last one was a joke you know.

10/15/2010 #13
Catorrina

Last post or last on the list? I kinda figured RAGE wasn't all that serious. ;P

10/15/2010 #14
Writing-Is-Fun

Last on the list RAGE magic was a joke, but maybe not forbidden magic.

10/15/2010 #15
Undertaker667

You do Understand, the Ideas for these types of Magics came from the Manga - Fairy Tail

and Part of Naruto

and An Idea for an element

Magma - Combining earth and Fire, the User can control the burning power of flames and the destructive power of earth to create Magma. There are offensive and defensive capabilities

Offensive

- Roar of the Dragon - By building up heat in the lungs, the user can cover his/her breath into a flame thrower that can be used to hit a specific or a wide spread opponent/attack.

- Quake - By slamming down their foot or fist into the ground or the air around, the vibrations can cause a tremor in the ground and air, that would crack anything. It can be used in different environments. In lakes and masses of water, creating a split between the waters. Flames or Sand Storms, causing a split between them. It has a hard time stopping storms since lightning is an energy form.

- Fist of Thor - Basically grants the user, the power to destroy the ground, or earth around him, creating craters or using that strength to punch someone.

- Revolution - Is an attack that combines earth and fire to create lava pools and rivers around the opponent.

- Pillars of Inferno - Creates pillars of flames that can be created around an opponent and can surround and crush and burn at the same time.

Offensive and Defensive Criss Cross

- Aflame Inferno - Literally engulfs the user in flames, allowing him/her to manipulate into the shape they want and become impervious to projectile attacks.

- Terra Burst - The same with Aflame Inferno, instead the user absorbs earth and an armoured armor is created for him/her. They can manipulate the Earth.

- Terra Inferno - Combines Aflame Inferno and Terra Burst to create an armor of earth and fire. The body engulfed in flames, hardened by earth, showing veins of lava flowing. The eyes are glowing yellow of flames, spikes can be formed on the body to protect the back. The form becomes somewhat of a beast. A long hardened tail, long arms, and long legs, a mask, that covers everything except the eyes

Defensive

- Terra Hold - Creates a wall of earth to protect the user of incoming attacks.

- Inferno Hold - Creates a wall of flames to protect from large non physical attacks and sometimes physical objects that can be burnt

- Stronghold of Father Earth - Creates a literal, base, a stronghold intended to protect the user, or let him/her relax and heal.

10/28/2010 #16
Writing-Is-Fun

Last thing on this list for defensive spells kind of reminds me of Gaara's ultimate defense, ya know his sand bubble. I wonder if the Tsuchikage can fly can Gaara? It would make sense for him to fly since he's the Kazekage. Not the Tsuchikage. Then again well the guy does live in a mountainous area, a place that really hasn't been established too much.

10/28/2010 #17
Writing-Is-Fun

I got another great type of instrumental magic. Your new carry with that violin was pretty awesome. So I thought why not have characters that can only use magic if they have magical items. Essentially if they drop them or lose them they have no powers. Kind of like when Thor, from the marvel universe, throws his hammer. If that hammer doesn't return in 30 seconds to about a minute he returns to his ordinary human self.

On a side note I suggest so many kinds of magics and elements because I really do love magic. What I don't like is when people try to forcefully classify it all the time into groups and stuff. I used to do that in the past it was cool at first, but then I realized it wasn't always as fun for stories because it ended up confusing me as a writer sometimes and really did constrain the universe. That's why when a lot of writers make magic a system in their universe they often times end up breaking or bending a few rules because plot tends to diminish the way magics can be used, or the magic system inhibits said magics.

10/28/2010 . Edited 10/28/2010 #18
Ink and tea-leaves

Can I suggest one? Mind? A mind mage isn't quite telepathic, more they can pluck ideas out of people's heads, make them forget things, or put suggestions in their heads, rather like post-hypnotic suggestion. Also, they can make people believe that things are true, like, they could make someone believe that they were in extreme pain, or that they were in absolutely no pain at all even when they were bleeding to death.

5/19/2011 #19
Catorrina

Great! I'll put it up in the top list so you get credit!

5/19/2011 #20
Ink and tea-leaves

Fabulous, thanks!

5/20/2011 #21
Writing-Is-Fun

I have a long list of elements:

Sword- Able to take bladed weapons and infuse them with magic to empower them with destructive cutting ability.

Food- Able to create food stuffs like tomatoes out of thin air.

Cloth- Able to create clothes with magic and strengthen them with magical threads and needles.

Bow- Able to infuse bows and arrows with magical abilities increasing their efficiency.

Empathy- Able to feel the emotions of people around an area through magical means.

Silent- Able to make oneself invisible by shutting out all presence of the user.

Sound- Able to control and generate sound waves for various purposes.

Gravity- High level magic that allows one to control the forces of gravity on the planet.

Goddess- Bestowed only by a goddess like Lydia it allows the user to generate and use godlike powers for things.

Planet- Very powerful magic that allows one to tap into the life force of the planet. It is a high level magic.

Dragon- Allows one to use the powers of dragons including shape shifting, summoning rain, breathing fire, flight, etc. It is a high level magic.

Demon- Allows one to use the powers of demons including shape shifting, massive strength, dark energy, flight, etc. Like Dragon Magic it is a high level magic.

5/23/2011 #22
Catorrina

Some of these are good, but for the sake of keeping the list short (We already have so many!), I'm going to leave a few out that can already be a part of the other elements.

"Sword" and "Bow" could be used by most mages. Ice mages can sharpen the blades/points, wind mages could increase a bow's efficiency, etc. "Food" could be the same with Earth.

"Goddess" could be everything- the magic is essentially godlike power that Lydia gifted them with.

"Empathy" is good, but I'll combine that with "Mind."

And lastly, "Silent" and "Sound" will be combined, along with "Gravity" and "Planet." They aren't exactly the same, but operate along the same principles, so those with the ability to control one would likely control the other (if that makes sense :P)

I'll list the "high level magic" in the "Extra elements" section, as well.

5/24/2011 #23
Writing-Is-Fun

Metal: The ability to use magic to manipulate metal.

Cloud: The ability to use magic to manipulate the clouds above.

Combat: The ability to enhance physical fighting capabilities through magic.

Alchemy: The ability to use magic and science to transmute things from something else.

Wild: The ability to tap into the beasts of the wild with magic.

Paladin: The ability to smite demons with power light magic and guidelines of chivalry.

Clay: The ability to mold and morph clay with magic.

Rush: The ability to speed up one's foot work with magic.

Trap: The ability to booby trap an area using magic to place objects in many different places.

Search: The ability to sense other people's magic around you.

Fake: The normal type of magic that people consider "magic", yet is really a flick of the wrist or trick of the eye.

Moon: The magic that controls the moon.

Sun: The magic that controls the sun.

Pain: This is magic that inflicts pain oneself to inflict pain on others.

Strength: Using magic to increase one's natural strength.

Truth: The ability to use magic to pull the truth out of someone or something.

Absorption: The ability to absorb another's magic.

5/26/2011 #24
Writing-Is-Fun

Smoke: The ability to use magic to manipulate smoke.

Story: The ability to use magic to make things in books come to life.

Love: The ability to use the emotion of love to make magic.

Shackle: The ability to call up chains to ensnare a foe with magical shackles.

Green: The ability to tap into a higher calling of nature with this magic.

Transport: The ability to make a large object that can transport people via magic.

Life: A high level magic that can bring people back to life.

Death: A high level magic that can instantly kill people.

Sand: The ability to control sand through magic.

Sleep: The ability to put a person to sleep with magic.

Nightmare: The ability to cause people nightmares while asleep.

Disguise: The ability to change a persona completely. To transform into something else via magic.

Paint: The ability to bring paintings and drawing to life with magic.

Hero: This is granted to a chosen hero. It allows them to activate and use the ultimate attack "Hero Attack" and severely injury or kill a great evil with a single punch, slash, etc. It takes twenty years to train.

Unity: Mages gather together to fire off a single beam of energy called the "Unity Beam". This beam can rip through practically anything and makes for an awesome finishing magic.

5/26/2011 #25
Writing-Is-Fun

Portal: Magic that can open up portals into practically anywhere on the planet.

Fusion: Magic that allows people to fuse other magics together.

Decay: Magic that makes things rot and break apart.

Blast: Magic that is the true essence of Abizir Rashek's lightening and fire combinations. This magic explodes when used against anyone and anything.

Healing: Magic that allows one to recover from injuries or provide this care to others.

Illusion: This magic makes mirages and other light tricks occur.

Memory: This magic can erase a person's memories.

5/26/2011 #26
Writing-Is-Fun

Ocean: This allows one to call upon the power of the ocean.

Axe: Give your ax the edge with magic.

Spear: A sharper point is provided with magic.

Ancient: The most primordial form of magic its about as old as reconstruction and deconstruction magic, and very mysterious.

Trinket: Enchant a necklace or ring with magic.

Swamp: This calls upon the power of magic within swamps, bogs, and marshes.

Toy: This makes toys into automaton beings that can and will follow the users every command.

Rupture: This magic can break apart incoming magic it is an extremely weak version of deconstruction magic.

Movement: This magic allows one to move about quicker, move objects and observe the movements of others.

Zone: This magic bypasses many laws of magic and turns an area from one thing to another. For example turning a mountain into an ocean. This can also open areas into places beyond the natural world.

5/26/2011 #27
Catorrina

You're getting really specific, WIF, and starting to come up with things that already exist, although I appreciate the effort. If you can find an association in the already-listed elements, then just assume it's there (Just because it isn't there, doesn't mean it's not part of the element. Sand is still part of the earth, but listing it would create too long/specific of a post). Anyway, the explanations as to why I don't post the elements is below, with each of the posts being in a different (paragraph?)

Metal is earth, cloud could be wind, water, or storm, combat is too vague (tell me how it works and I'll add it) alchemy is earth, again, wild is beast magic, Paladin sounds like a light mage serving as a knight. Clay is, again, earth. Rush sounds like wind mages (or ice if you count skating), trap sounds like teleportation, only not as specific... which Pyra has used as a dark mage if I recall. Some of the characters already seem to sense others' magic, so I won't put search. Fake is... well, fake. I won't count it as an element, but a "poser" character is welcome. Moon and sun fall under light and darkness through association. Pain seems like an extension of black magic, strength falls under the same problem of combat, truth would be part of mind magic (ability to pull ideas from people's heads) and absorption exists in energy and take-over magic.

Smoke comes with fire, story seems like a type of summon magic (I'll create a broader category for this and other summoning magics) Love is mind magic, shackles can be called by anyone (ice shackles, earth shackles, heck you could even bind someone with wind and fire in a sense), green is earth/beast, transport sounds like summoning/construction, Life and Death are god-modding, sand is earth, sleep is mind, nightmare is mind, Disguise I'll mark as "shapeshifting" along with other sub-categories, paint is summoning again, hero is god-modding (considering that the "twenty years" will be out of the story... we don't have that kind of time) and unity isn't an element- it's several mages working together.

You already have portal, I'll add to that one, fusion is take-over or again, working together. Decay works, blast would be fire essentially, healing isn't an element so much as an ability... that will be up to mages to figure out (Aura uses ice to seal wounds, air mages can increase oxygen, blood and bone mages are... kind of obvious really, mind can reduce pain, etc.) Illusion is part of light magic, memory is mind.

Ocean and swamp fall under water mages, axe and spear are the same as bow and sword, and trinket seems to be the same. Ancient is, again vague, toy is too... specific, rupture sounds like buffering, movement is part of air magic and sensing, and zone sounds like too much power.

5/30/2011 #28
Writing-Is-Fun

So much for that then. I was just making sure we covered all the bases. Sometimes people like to separate out things like metal and earth. Ah well we got a good enough list, so new suggestions don't really need to be added now I assume. I forgot I had put portal magic, so I though it would be good to have. Anyway, doubles of elements I see will not do, so we'll just stick with the normal list.

5/30/2011 #29
Catorrina

Don't misunderstand, I love the suggestions you make, and how much work you've put into the site. I'm glad I "hired" you. :)

If you come up with something else, don't be afraid to post. With school coming to a close and the forum just starting again, organizing the elements page has actually been more fun than work. I like seeing what everyone comes up with- even if we can't use it for simplicity's sake, it helps me see what can be modified (when I get the chance, I will put some ideas into subcategories). Plus, it's nice to watch the list grow from no more than ten to... err... a bunch. :D

5/30/2011 #30
Page 1 2 Next »
Forum Moderators: Catorrina Bloodra
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member