Let's Talk about Me
A place to stash stuff I find useful in FP. Probably not useful to anyone else.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
taerkitty

Stuff that I find useful to copy-and-paste, so I don't have to search for it in my email.

Here's the form letter:

I'm sorry, but I've deleted your post to the "Want a Review?" thread in the "Gossip Forum". If you look above in the thread, you'll see that we have mandated that all review requests include a list of piece(s) the posting member has already reviewed.

For your archives, here is the text of your post:

Thank your understanding why we need to do this.

1/17/2010 . Edited 1/23/2010 #1
taerkitty

Here are the rules for posting review requests:

These are required to be followed.

- Review first, then ask. You must review someone else's work for which a review was requested on this thread before you post your own request for a review. Please include the name of the work (and, optionally, the author) in your review request post.

- Don't write one-liner reviews. For example: "Brilliant story, update soon." It's a bad review, because it's basically telling the other people, "I can't be bothered to really read your work, but I want to ask others to review my own stuff." Instead, explain why you liked it.

- Bundle your posts, especially when you are just posting the stories you've reviewed. Please don't have a string of posts each containing one line, "Reviewed SoAndSo, chapter 1." Next post, "Reviewed SuchAndSuch, chapter1." Etc. Instead, go back and edit your initial post.

Edits are easy: In the lower right of each post in the thread is the [Mod] link. Click on it, then click on [Edit] on the menu strip that displays as a result. Make your edits, then click on [Save Edited Post], and you're done.

- No arguments, (or bad attitude with each other). Take that somewhere else. This is a place for those of you who have come for reviews or to just chill.

Here are a few hints / suggestions for posting review requests:

These are not required to be followed.

- In the review, state where you found out about the story. It was one of the Just Ins that met your genre preferences, someone PMed you a recommendation, or (most likely) it was from a review request thread. Ideally, state which one, e.g., "Greetings from the Gossip Forum!"

- In your review request, post links to the poems/stories you recently reviewed will help others go review it, especially if you give a rave review summary in the Review thread.

Links are easy: In the reading window for the work, click on the address bar and press Ctrl-C to copy it. Write the name of the work, highlight it, then click on the 'chain' symbol next to the 'Styles' pulldown in the toolbar. In the resulting window, press Ctrl-V to paste the URL into the 'URL' field. Press [Enter], and you're done.

- In your review request, post a link the author's name with the name of the work you recently reviewed so other can see what else the author has written.

- In your review request, post the summary for your work so readers can decide based on genre and overview. Our summaries are good practice for us marketing our work, so they, along with the line of text stating genre, rating and length from the story list on our profile page make good blurbs.

- To see what you recently reviewed, go to Login | Reviews | Review History. This can help you summarize your recent reviews when posting your review request.

1/23/2010 #2
taerkitty

Here is a sample review I wrote 2012.01.04 for Devil's Playground's Bite, Chapter 1:

Summary:

"I've been told that I don't have a lot of common sense. But traveling with a group of bloodthirsty, trigger-happy cannibals seems a little crazy, even for me... Rated for heavy violence and language."

Good opening, though 'cannibals' may be giving away too much. Maybe make up a name that they're called in this wasteland, akin to how Firefly/Serenity has 'Reavers'?

===

"The sixth reason is... ah, hell. Need I go on?"

I'd stop at three, though I can see why you need to use the previous five to establish the setting, both the post-nuke landscape and the man.

===

"Sure, why not?"

I like the humor in this scene. This is just me, but I'd like it to be a little more frequent - her mental monologue is pretty dry, and there's opportunity for peppering it with more evidence of her snarky way of thinking.

===

"There's a woman sitting in the passenger seat up front; I hadn't noticed her before."

I'm having a hard time envisioning here. See if you can follow why I'm confused:

1. He has a rifle across his back. I was thinking motorcycle, or something else with a backless seat (no, not a horse.)

2. It's a Jeep, she can see something on the back seat, and he has goggles on to 'ward off the wind'. Okay, it's an 'Army-ish' jeep - open top, jump seats, no doors. I'm thinking of the jeeps from WW II films. How is he sitting with a rifle between his back and the seat, I'm not sure.

3. Wait, there's a lady in the front seat? Okay, it's now a 'modern' jeep - doors, hardtop. Basically an SUV with jeep stylings. How did she not see the lady before? Maybe the windows are tinted? That would make the cabin dark when she and he are talking. But how'd she see the stinky bags? Maybe the window was down, both allowing here to see, and smell, them?

Long story short, I don't have a clear idea of the scene, and I wonder if the author does as well. There's something to say for letting the setting unfold, but it's also important that these questions don't break the reader's flow

===

"If I had any common sense at all I'd probably want to stay on edge, but since I don't, I decide to take a nap instead. What can I say? It's been a long couple of days."

Here, I'm losing the feel for the character. The flashes of sharp humour make her seem very savvy and streetwise. She has five-plus reasons to not trust the driver, and she naps?

I realize she probably is exhausted, but the telling seems far too nonchalant, as if she either doesn't know, or doesn't care about the danger.

===

"The blue-haired Asian mute..."

Wait. When the MC awoke, she saw them having a 'quiet conversation.'

The author may know that the blue-hair is indeed mute, but that knowledge has not yet been revealed to the MC. In fact she narrated the opposite. Especially in a first-person story, it's critical to keep a running inventory of what the MC has seen/heard/etc.

===

"Where are they?" the woman murmurs. Her voice is so quiet I can barely catch it, and as flat and emotionless as her face.

Oh, she's not mute. But, on the plus side, I have an easy time envisioning her.

==

"Maybe that something is what normal people call common sense./But like I've said, I don't have a whole lot of that."

Very good close. I like the humour - I just wish it was more common in her narrative. (Though, her description of the hog bags' stench was amusing.)

I have a good idea of her character - she's small, she has a beanie, and a lot of guts. Oh, and holes in her shoes. I don't need to have the whole character in the first chapter, so this is a great start.

1/9/2012 . Edited 1/9/2012 #3
Forum Moderators: taerkitty
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member