Pulp!: A TwoFisted Forum
The legends: Sherlock Holmes. Conan the Barbarian. Philip Marlowe. Doc Savage. Flash Gordon. The Shadow. Come add to the mythos by reading/writing the best pulp stories Fictionpress has to offer.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 Next »
thefilmchick

(I couldn't resist the title.)

I decided to put this thread up before I went to bed. Since I tend to go rambly and chatty all too easily, and since we seem to have common media interests and the like, there should be a general chat thread for all topics that don't fit under the (broadest possible) pulp umbrella, so it doesn't clutter up the 'Welcome' thread either.

An auspicious opening thought: Pepperidge Farm Cinnamon Swirl Bread is magically delicious. But sadly, not so good with strawberry jam. (What can I say? I thought it would be a good midnight snack. Maybe I need sleep more than I thought!)

(Did I mention I am addicted to Shift-9 and Shift-0? I think it's a nervous tic.)

1/19/2010 #1
Jave Harron

As for midnight snacks, yogurt with oatmeal is good. Or just a nice drink of milk (especially skim with nutrient shake thrown in).

1/19/2010 #2
thefilmchick

I can't drink whole milk: I grew up on skim, and whole always tastes... well, 'globular' is probably the nicest way I can put it. I do have some Carnation Instant Breakfast sitting around. Perhaps that will get the accursed strawberry-cinnamon mix out of my tastebuds.

The only oatmeal I have in the house is slow-cook, and if I am making bad decisions like that midnight snack, I'm not sure I should be trusted around the stove!

1/19/2010 #3
Jave Harron

I have oatmeal raw. Just dump into yogurt. Or into bowl and eat like cereal.

For breakfast, have a whole wheat peanut butter sandwich with Total on the side and some fruit. Helps for working out and running in awesomely cold weather.

1/19/2010 #4
thefilmchick

Trying to post links on this site hates me, and I hate it. I need to learn to use the stupid HREF button instead of putting in valid HTML code, because valid HTML code screws up ievery time/i. I feel like the Harrison Bergeron of HTML code and forums!

That is all. Off to play rehearsal!

(See? It did it again, with italics. I'm leaving that one up for spite.)

1/20/2010 . Edited 1/20/2010 #5
DeepSeaDragon

You know, this is probably the first message board I've posted on since... 2002, or something like that. Long time comin', if ya ask me.

HTML is buckets of fun! ...yeah, not really. I've just been using the buttons at the top of the post window to do things like this.

Would you guys believe that I have never had oatmeal in my life?

1/20/2010 #6
thefilmchick

Important question of utter seriousness and haste!

My flower ('Floralis Genérica,' by Eduardo Catalano) does not appear to be showing up.

Is it showing up to you guys, or do I need to upload a new avatar?

1/20/2010 #7
dreamshell

I can't see it, but then again, my computer is shit, anyway. I can't see Bud's either, or even mine.

1/20/2010 #8
Jave Harron

I can see all. If you uploaded new avatar, it can take about a day or so to appear.

1/20/2010 #9
thefilmchick

No, I've had the flower for... man, a few years now (since I last uploaded, anyway). It just isn't visible to me; neither is anyone else's avatar but yours sometimes, Jave. But I am also on an old clunker of a laptop (c. 2003, and it will not die) and dialup, so my picture-fu is wonky at best. Thanks for letting me know!

1/20/2010 #10
Jave Harron

2003? Is your laptop cloned from amber by any chance? XD

1/20/2010 #11
thefilmchick

I don't think so. I think it acquired some sort of magical resilience when faced with Chicagoland winters and endless Westlaw searches.

I have a brand new laptop that I got for Christmas, but it doesn't have a dialup port, and I don't have cable/wireless options in the heart of darkness (Upper Catskills). Since I'm in the boondocks, until I manage to drive into the nearest city to get a USB/phone modem, I'm on TheBeast666 (yes, that is its name) for the next couple weeks.

1/20/2010 . Edited 1/20/2010 #12
Jave Harron

To Mega Therion :)

1/20/2010 #13
thefilmchick

At this point, I believe it is powered solely by spite against its owner, which no doubt lends further credence to its name, be it in Greek or English!

(Maybe I should name the next one HAL-9000 to carry on the tradition. At this point, it is the extremely uncreative 'owner-VAIO.')

1/20/2010 #14
DeepSeaDragon

I can see all avatars just fine, including my own oddly purple-tinted mug. Besides, I think I've got you all beat on bad computers: mine's a 1998 Gateway that has been serviced at least a dozen times. She's been through more hell than my glasses! (to explain: my "war glasses" have been on my face for at least nine years, going on ten.)

1/21/2010 #15
thefilmchick

Now I can see avatars. That's weird. I did say this computer was a spiteful beast, didn't I?

(First dress rehearsal tonight, went surprisingly well. Even if I had to be in a tutu (!!!) for half of it.)

1/21/2010 #16
Jave Harron

My new computer just went to hell, so I'm using a slightly upgraded 2004 one. Essentially, it can't run anything made after 2006 (game wise) without crashing or slowing to a crawl. It was an XP system, but thankfully not Vista. Otherwise I would have lost all my files. And now all I need is to fix a few drivers.

1/21/2010 #17
thefilmchick

Does anyone know if there's a way to change the timezone on the forum (which seems to default to American PST)? (I looked under 'settings' in my profile, and it wasn't there.) No East Coast-West Coast rivalry, but well... I'd like to stay in New York, not California!

1/23/2010 #18
Jave Harron

Seems locked sadly. The only other parameters I can see are the profanity filter, which better be off, dammit.

1/24/2010 #19
dreamshell

You're fucking joking, right? Of fucking course the profanity fucking filter is fucking off. Fuck. =P

And I dunno about the time zone thingy. =|

1/24/2010 #20
thefilmchick

The irony is, of course, that an E-mailed alert of your post shows:

"You're ** joking, right? Of ** course the profanity ** filter is ** off. **. =P"

... typing that out might have been even funnier!

1/24/2010 #21
dreamshell

**, you're right. I wish I'd known about that beforehand. Mother**.

Oh well.

1/24/2010 #22
thefilmchick

I start teaching again tomorrow. 9 am = daystar in full bore = aggghgh.

I wish they'd given me night classes!

1/24/2010 #23
Jave Harron

I start classes next week, so may not be online as much then. PhD classes seem to suck more time than TV Tropes, from what I've heard.

1/25/2010 #24
DeepSeaDragon

Well, the horrid vices of work and sleep have been tearing up my schedule lately. I hardly got any writing done today, and it was my off day! I think I slept for... probably fourteen or fifteen hours total. What a mess.

1/25/2010 #25
Doctor Vile

My sleep patterns are erratic at best. At the moment during weekdays I'm writing from 11am-3am and sleeping from 3.30am to 10am, and reading in between. Thanks for the invite to here anyway, Jave, because it gives me somewhere to cool off and waste time a bit!

1/27/2010 #26
DeepSeaDragon

Always nice to see another face around these parts. Welcome, Doctor Vile. I might have to check out your stuff based wholly on your screenname.

1/27/2010 #27
Jave Harron

Anyone have a day where it seems every device you touch malfunctions? I think I must have become a walking techbane today from some sick cosmic sense of irony.

1/27/2010 #28
DeepSeaDragon

Yes. Every day I fire up this computer, actually. It's like dealing with a very frail old lady; I feel like she could turn into dust at any moment.

1/31/2010 #29
Cam S

I hope that my current silicon-based karma holds, things have been going well, lately, and going into class (where I'm supposed to be telling students about the wonders of the Internet, because they apparently have never seen it before) without working technology would be the most vicious of ironies. Thankfully, Kubrick (the black block of science fiction I'm using as a computer) has not gotten any viruses yet, despite being six months old and running Windows Vista. Funny how things go, isn't it?

Also, I've found that it's impossible to be productive while grading things. And I hardly get that shit done, either, despite cutting down my sleep ration to six hours.

1/31/2010 #30
Page 1 2 Next »
Forum Moderators: dreamshell Jave Harron, Monev11235
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member