Pulp!: A TwoFisted Forum
The legends: Sherlock Holmes. Conan the Barbarian. Philip Marlowe. Doc Savage. Flash Gordon. The Shadow. Come add to the mythos by reading/writing the best pulp stories Fictionpress has to offer.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 2
dreamshell

Chalk this up as another last-minute bail. An inconvenient bout of writer's block and some RL stuff keeping me busy-ish make it very unlikely that I'll be entering the contest.

Still plan to finish the story, though. Then again, I say things like that. A LOT.

Good luck, other peoples.

8/30/2010 #31
Michael Panush

Sorry to hear that. Good luck to everyone else, and just get them whenever you can. I'll try and keep the deadline open as long as possible.

8/30/2010 #32
Lord Monbodo

I have a brief respite from work, which should give me the time to finish my entry. But just in case, leave a few days open.

8/30/2010 #33
Monev11235

I'm not able to submit mine; I'm without a properly-sized keyboard for a week and won't be able to finish it.

8/30/2010 #34
J.A. Fletcher

Gentlemen, I believe I have cursed this contest with my entry.

8/31/2010 #35
Monev11235

I personally would approve of an extension of like 2 weeks for the people who are definitely or possibly unable to finish because of whatever problems they have encountered.

This is mostly because I am one of those people. _

8/31/2010 #36
dreamshell

Well, I'm not very glad to do it, but I guess I'll back up another extension. But I need a little feedback here about what the problem is. Isn't a month a decent amount of time to write a short story? We all have lives, yes, but this is becoming something of a habit.

Let's all try and be more careful about agreeing to things before we know we can follow through on them. Otherwise, I don't really know how to make this continue to work.

8/31/2010 #37
Michael Panush

Okay, you guys get two more weeks and that's it. I really liked the two entries posted so far, so you guys do have something to live up to. Let me know when they're ready.

8/31/2010 #38
SirBayer

I still plan on being finished today.

8/31/2010 #39
Michael Panush

Good to know. Just edit it and post it when its ready.

8/31/2010 #40
SirBayer

Missed my self-imposed deadline due to unforeseen circumstances. Should have it up today.

EDIT: It's finished, and up, but I, uh. Don't know how to use FictionPress all that well, apparently, so all that remains is format.

http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2843745/1/Where_Metal_Shines

Here's the link, anyway. I'll get it into proper chapters (read make it more readable) later today or tomorrow.

9/1/2010 . Edited 9/1/2010 #41
Michael Panush

Thanks for posting. I read your story and thought it was pretty good.

So now we have three stories in the running. The rest of you guys should post soon, or I'll have already picked the winner.

9/2/2010 #42
SirBayer

Sounds like it ain't me. XD

Excited to see how it turns out!

9/2/2010 #43
J.A. Fletcher

I hate to say this, but we're cutting way into this upcoming contest's time by extending the noir contest.

9/5/2010 #44
dreamshell

Uh, what?

If you're concerned one contest's extension makes the next one's time shorter, fear not. Pulp! forum contests Do Not Work That Way.

9/6/2010 #45
J.A. Fletcher

Thank you For Your Reassurance.

9/7/2010 #46
Michael Panush

I think the end is coming up. Post your stories, guys!

9/7/2010 #47
Michael Panush

Okay guys, it's been long enough. The next entry that shows up will be the last. So Dreamshell? You'd better hurry if you want to be a part of the contest. I think four entries is a good number to choose from, so that's what I'll have. Just one more, and then the contest is over and I pick the winners.

9/12/2010 #48
Monev11235

Yeah, my computer's not back for another 2 days. :c

9/12/2010 #49
dreamshell

I'm not entering. And don't boss me, it's my forum, see? Mmyyyyeah.

9/12/2010 #50
J.A. Fletcher

Wow. I hope more people get to enter the next contest.

9/12/2010 #51
Michael Panush

Like I said, I'll wait until there's one more story entered, and then post the winners.

9/13/2010 #52
dreamshell

Three's enough to vote on and I don't think another entry is very likely. Unless someone else posts otherwise, go ahead and wrap this one up, Mike.

9/14/2010 #53
Michael Panush

Okay. I'll be a bit busy this week, so hopefully I'll have my response and the winner (already chosen) up by the weekend.

9/14/2010 #54
Monev11235

Laptop is back and I'm starting to write D:

9/14/2010 #55
Michael Panush

Okay, we'll wait for your entry, and then I'll pick the winners. Dreamshell, put your entry in before Money's, and you'll be in the running too, if you still want to. I look forward to seeing your work?

9/16/2010 #56
Lord Monbodo

Sadly, my entry won't be completed any time soon.

9/16/2010 #57
Michael Panush

Okay, sorry for you, Lord Monbodo, but I'm going to announce the winners now. Feel free to post your story later and I'll happily review it, but I think this contest has gone on long enough.

So, to review the three entries. Overall, they had a lot of good parts, but a lot of problems too.

Sir Bayer, your story was pretty decent. It had an interesting setting, with a cool mix of technology and fantasy, but a lot of it really confused me. I didn't know if it was our world, or an alternate history or a fantastic setting, and the names of the guns, the characters and the references didn't help. I didn't understand the ending at all, unfortunately. So, while you had some good action and good writing, the problems with the plot really hampered it.

Jave Harron, you did a great job, and this is easily the best thing you've written. I can see you took a lot of time describing the plot, adding metaphors to use descriptions, and all the other things I keep on telling you to do for your other stories. The effect was fantastic and this was a very worthy effort. However, the plot was very simplistic and I could see the twist coming from a mile away. Also, your dialogue didn't really have the proper ring to it, and the protagonist seemed to make the main decision for no discernible reason.

J.A. Fletcher, you are the winner of this contest. You did a great job of creating a perfect noir protagonist, femme fatale and supporting cast. Your dialogue had the right twang to it, the action was cool, and the betrayal was believable and made sense. The ending was great too, and had the perfect sense of loss that every good noir has. I'm not sure why you set in a pre-WWI time period, as it would have been better in the 1920s or 30s, with the trappings of those eras better fitting Noir, but you did a good job of capturing the time. So, you win and good job.

Thanks to everyone for particpating!

9/20/2010 #58
dreamshell

With this contest wrapped up, I'm going to be locking the thread and changing the pace a bit by starting a new contest myself. Once it concludes, J.A. Fletcher will be the next one to host.

9/21/2010 . Edited 9/21/2010 #59
« Prev Page 1 2
Forum Moderators: dreamshell Jave Harron, Monev11235
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member