Pulp!: A TwoFisted Forum
The legends: Sherlock Holmes. Conan the Barbarian. Philip Marlowe. Doc Savage. Flash Gordon. The Shadow. Come add to the mythos by reading/writing the best pulp stories Fictionpress has to offer.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Cam S

Hey, folks, I've got an interesting (read: painfully taxing) situation in front of me, and was wondering if any of you would be interested in helping out.

As you might be aware, I run a website that I post writing on to. At the request of a friend, a while back, I published a little bit of writing from someone else, with the tag "not mine."

Also, as a fewer number of you might be aware, I'm in graduate school, and working on my thesis this coming year. Given that it's a creative project, I imagine that it will be taking a lot out of me.

So...to get to the point, after I finish my current long-running project (which Shell has been kind enough to provide feedback on) I was thinking about doing a brief (6-12 week) run with a somewhat Pulpish "Shared World." Getting four or five writers and posting short stories in a common setting. I've already got one collaborator signed up to help, and thus far, we've ironed out that it's going to be a setting centered on superheroes. Other than that, I was hoping to get more people involved before any hard-and-fast details were worked out.

My only caveat is that contributors either (a) use their real names or (b) a pseudonym; I'd prefer not to publish things using screen names. In return for help, I'll include an e-mail address for people to send their feedback and comments to, as well as a link to any website you maintain.

Any takers?

8/13/2010 #1
dreamshell

Count me in, Cam. Elaborate on the specs of this shared world either here or through email. ;)

8/13/2010 #2
Jave Harron

I'm interested. Shoot me an email with some details.

8/13/2010 #3
Cam S

Well, no specs just yet. I'm getting my one other collaborator to set up an account on FP, and I'm going to start a forum as soon as I'm once again back to my hermitage in the mountains of New Mexico (tomorrow evening, or possibly Tuesday.)

All I have in mind, at the moment is that the world will (A) be plausibly hard SF (adjusted for the presence of superheroes, but with believable explanations of power,) (B) be fairly cynical (mostly black-and-gray morality,) (C) be an alternate history with a POD in the 1900s or late 1800s, and (D) avert the whole "Reed Richards is useless" thing.

8/15/2010 #4
dreamshell

Would the setting actually be the late 1800s-1900s, or is that just the point of divergence? 'Cause if it is, that along with a Black And Gray Morality (which I love) makes me think of it being about the hard-nosed ol' great-grandpappies (and -mammies) of more traditional superhero types. Almost like a superhero equivalent of the Wold Newton universe. Or, to use X Meets Y, Deadwood meets Heroes (if the latter didn't suck so terribly). Which sounds indisputably awesome. =D

If that's not the idea, though, I'm totally calling dibs for a future project.

8/15/2010 #5
Cam S

You've got dibs, Shell. This is more contemporary.

Forum: http://www.fictionpress.com/forum/Brainstorming_for_shared_world/4789/

8/16/2010 #6
Lord Monbodo

I'm interested.

8/23/2010 #7
Cam S

Come on over to the forum, and check it out, Mondobo. URL's in the post above yours.

8/24/2010 #8
SirBayer

I'm interested. I'll pop over to your forum and have a look.

9/3/2010 #9
Forum Moderators: dreamshell Jave Harron, Monev11235
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member