A Foreign World
November, 1862. A last battle is held in Lexington, Kentucky, cornering the Union army against the Appalachian Mountains. A surrender is filed and the Civil War ends. Now it is the middle of the month, and reconstruction has begun...
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 27 .. Last Next »
SnowClaw of Windclan
"A very mysterious one, indeed." Mathieu remarked, getting up after looking at the clock. The class was over by about five minutes; at the very least, it had been fairly entertaining for him. The rest of the class left along with him; apparently the indication of the change of classes hadn't been noticed or heard earlier.
3/8/2010 #481
writingbythepower
Walter followed the class, called out, "Mr. Ames! Would you please come back to the classroom for a moment?"
3/8/2010 #482
SnowClaw of Windclan
He huffed in frustration. "Yes Mr. Davis...?" At first the boy turned his head, but he did eventually come back in a lope-like gate, clearly expressing with the look on his face that his time was being wasted. Currently there were about two hours before the next class and taking even a minute from them was mutinous.
3/8/2010 #483
writingbythepower
"Mr. Ames, I don't appreciate your attitude. I understand you may wish to be entertaining to your classmates, that you may feel the need to make a comment. But now I'm telling you: don't. I have no desire to suspend or even expel you if I believe that your actions make it necessary. I'm not saying that you have now, but I am saying you'll be on that road sometime soon if your attitude doesn't change." The voice was stern, calm. They were strict as well, the motions of a man who has held rank and has had rank held against him. Discipline was found, and order must be made.
3/8/2010 #484
SnowClaw of Windclan
"Yes sir." Although he didn't necessarily mean it, he said it anyways and resumed what he was doing in his social group, laughing and joking as he had in Walter's class since it began. The teachers themselves had a break during this hour, the lunch hour, some had left temporarily.
3/8/2010 #485
writingbythepower
Walter let the boy go, sat down at his desk and yawned. The days seemed to be quicker out of the military, now that he had something to do at every hour. It was actually irritating, having so much to do. Sometimes he wished that the war was still on... no, he didn't wish that, rather he wished that he was still in the military. It was a simplier life, basic and yet important at all times. Made him feel like he accomplished something, even the most basic things. Staring at the door, thinking of his students, he asked himself, Can I say that now?
3/8/2010 #486
SnowClaw of Windclan
Laughter erupted from the small group that Mathieu was in as Thomas finished his story, wiping tears from his eyes. They were crescents of amusement as he bowed, smirking. A few students went into imitations of the people that he had been talking about. As the joke, and lunch, came to an end they went to their next classes, for Mathieu that was French. Being of French descent, he didn't mind it terribly.
3/9/2010 #487
writingbythepower
Walter sat at his desk silently, having no students for a little while. The smile that had been on his face were beginning to slowly fade, the thoughts of the world outside this classroom had finally come back to his mind. That world was confusing, unreal. This world... this world he could control, he could enjoy. Looking around with a smile, he nodded at the idea of this seperate world.
3/10/2010 #488
SnowClaw of Windclan
Elliott Reno folded his arms, shifting his weight slightly to one leg as he knocked on the door to Walter's classroom. The History teacher pursed his lips as he waited for his colleague to answer the door, loosely holding a few lesson plans in one hand.
3/10/2010 #489
writingbythepower
Standing and walking over to the door, he answered it and smiled. "Mr. Reno, how nice to see you today. Please, come in." Opening the door wide, he pointed toward a chair where he could see.
3/10/2010 #490
SnowClaw of Windclan
"Thank you." Elliott smiled, sitting down in the chair and crossing his legs. He looked down at his paper, frowning and pursing his lips before drawing them to either side, moving back the corners of his mouth. "I'm very displeased with Mr. Ames. He is failing my class--" he scanned the sheet, "and barely skimming through yours, from what I can see..." He frowned. "I'd like to schedule a conference with his parents, if they are available, and was wondering if you had any opinions to add."
3/10/2010 #491
writingbythepower
Walking over to his own desk and leaning on it, Walter stated, "I'd be more then happy to join you and his parents for a conference. If you'd prefer that it just be you in the meeting, I imagine I could write up several of my concerns. Is there anything that you have in particular that he seems to be doing in your class?"
3/10/2010 #492
SnowClaw of Windclan
"No, I wouldn't mind you coming as well, Mr. Davis." He smiled, before continuing and pursing his lips again. "He's a disruption to the classroom environment, disrespectful, eats in my classroom, and distracts other students." He frowned, sinking into thought. The boy was a problem student, and didn't seem to honestly care about getting an education.
3/10/2010 #493
writingbythepower
"I've had similar issues with him. He's been disrespectful in general, it seems. I believe that something must be done. It's been the first time I've been back in my classroom in sometime, and I believe it when very well except for Mr. Ames' behavior." He nodded, remembering the conflict that he had with the boy earlier.
3/10/2010 #494
SnowClaw of Windclan
Reno nodded in agreement. "There's a handful in every class, it seems." Looking over his plans again, he pursed his lips before he asked, "Do you have any plans for this Friday, would it work for you?" It was good to see Walter again, his replacement hadn't been as likeable. He wasn't a bad person, Mr. Davis, all and all.
3/10/2010 #495
writingbythepower
Nodding, he said, "Yes, I believe so. That day is open, I'm sure. I'm hoping that they are not like some parents who tend to take the child's side over ours." Thinking of many parents who had done that, believing the child's word over the teachers, Walter shook his head in disappointment.
3/10/2010 #496
SnowClaw of Windclan
Reno nodded in agreement, pursing his lips in what looked like a smile, although it was not a happy one. He blinked. "I wish that there weren't as many cases of that as there are. They probably aren't, though, although you never really can be sure." He shrugged slightly. "Have your other students been doing alright?"
3/10/2010 #497
writingbythepower
"For the most part, yes. There are of course several instances where they can become loud, but most of that is simply habit I'm sure. Mr. Ames does not tend to help in those cases. For the most part, no one seems any worse then him, but I'm sure there are things I haven't heard or seen." Nodding, he looked at their desks, wondering how much they talked while he had his back turned, lecturing.
3/11/2010 #498
SnowClaw of Windclan
Elliott pursed his lips in what looked like displeasure at the thought. "I don't know, but half of the things that they talk about were unnacceptable when I was in school." The teacher shrugged, leaning back slightly in his desk. "Life's been treating you alright since you've got back, Walter?" He was slightly concerned, had known the man for a few years before the war.
3/11/2010 #499
writingbythepower
Nodding slightly, Walter said, "Well, life's life. Can't do anything but accept it. It's good to be back here, to be in the classroom." Looking around the classroom for a moment, he turned back to Elliot. "And how have you been?"
3/11/2010 #500
SnowClaw of Windclan
Elliott shrugged and drew his mouth slightly back. "So-so, nothing too exciting has happened to me in your abscence, really...It's good to have you back, Walter." He smiled without showing his teeth, closing his eyes for a moment before he looked down at his lesson plans and then at his watch. "And, if I'm not mistaken, the school is dismissing in a few minutes."
3/11/2010 #501
writingbythepower
Nodding, he said, "Yes, I suppose it is. Well, thank you, sir. It's good to talk to you again." Extending his hand, Walter smiled at his colleague.
3/11/2010 #502
SnowClaw of Windclan
Elliott took his hand in his own and shook it, getting up from his chair and smiling before he left he room to attend to personal matters of his own. The students of the school were leaving through the various doors, talking loudly amongst themselves in still-developing voices. Meanwhile in the city, Bella walked alongside her maid, roaming with no particular thought except to stay out in the chill air.
3/11/2010 #503
writingbythepower
Walter left the school, walking down the streets in the direction of his home. Being back in his classroom had been good, healthy. It seemed to be where he needed to be, where he accomplished things. The streets were mostly empty now, odd because of the time of day, but Walter paid no attention to it.
3/11/2010 #504
SnowClaw of Windclan
One by one, the first flakes of November snow began to fall, little specks of white drifting down from the pale clouds that covered the sky and the sunlight. Bella looked up, decided to go back inside before the snowfall got her wet. She enjoyed being wet in certain circumstances, but being snowed on wasn't one of them.
3/11/2010 #505
writingbythepower
The snow began to fall around him, his head slowly becoming wet by the snow. He smiled, thinking of the coming winter. The winters during the war seemed to be terrible, the weather always seemed to be depressing. Now, however, it was pleasant, a reminder that he could enjoy it without the thought of marching in it.
3/11/2010 #506
SnowClaw of Windclan
Business at the market, however, didn't go inside. Mathieu Ames started towards the cluster of shops hoping to see some of his teenage companions, as they tended to speak and so forth in the area. For a moment he stopped, watching a group of women clad in hooped dresses and shawls, pass, then froze entirely when he saw Mr. Davis.
3/12/2010 #507
writingbythepower
When Walter saw the boy, he sighed. It was always his preference that school and his personal time be seperate, but in the rare cases of bumping into a student or co-worker he knew what would happen. One of two things always seemed to happen, it seems. One, they go over and began a light conversation, usually something that will happen with his fellow teachers. Two, they will ignore each other and go their seperate way, usually something that will happen with the students. However, after the recent discussion with another teacher, Walter walked over to the teenager and smiled. "Mr. Ames, a pleasure to see you."
3/12/2010 #508
SnowClaw of Windclan
"Yeah, a pleasure to see you, Mr. Davis." Mathieu didn't pretend to be thrilled. The thought of his teacher having a personal life was a thought that he hadn't harbored and it made him remotely want to hide in one of the stands until he left. "Buying fruit as well?" His tone was edged with slight sarcasm, as if Walter had tracked him down or something. It wouldn't surprise him, either...
3/12/2010 #509
writingbythepower
"No, actually, on my way home," he said, pointing down the street in the direction of his house. He glanced over to where Mathieu had been looking, taking note of the young women who were walking away from that spot. Grinning for only a moment, remembering what it had been like to be a teenage boy and think of the world of yourself, he looked back at Mathieu.
3/12/2010 #510
« Prev Page 1 .. 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 27 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: SnowClaw of Windclan writingbythepower
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member