A Foreign World
November, 1862. A last battle is held in Lexington, Kentucky, cornering the Union army against the Appalachian Mountains. A surrender is filed and the Civil War ends. Now it is the middle of the month, and reconstruction has begun...
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 28 .. Last Next »
SnowClaw of Windclan
The teenager shrugged as nonchalantly as was managable. This was weird and he didn't like it at all. "Yeah, going back home." He cleared his throat and smirked slightly as he mulled over the happenings of the day, sinking into his own thoughts for a moment. "Sort of figured you lived in the school or something."
3/12/2010 #511
writingbythepower
Walter laughed. "No, no, I don't live there. Just seem to spend a good deal of time there." Now Walter was feeling uncomfortable, fidgeting his feet around. He didn't talk to students like this often, didn't have conversations with them other then was entirely necessary.
3/12/2010 #512
SnowClaw of Windclan
"Are you trying to make a happy face in the sand or something?" Mathieu made a gesture to the teacher's feet. He had other things to do than just stand here and talk to some English teacher but at the same time, he had the feeling he would suffer for turning on his heel and leaving the interaction.
3/12/2010 #513
writingbythepower
Walter looked down at his feet, noticing the movements. "Oh," he said, "That's nothing. Nervous habit. Well.... I suppose I'd better be going. Unless of course there was something that you wanted to tell me?" Somewhat, somehow, he had wished that the boy would give an apology for his actions earlier. However, he knew that there was little if any chance of that happening, but it was nice to hope.
3/12/2010 #514
SnowClaw of Windclan
The teenager's lanky form shifted awkwardly. He wasn't too sorry but the man was embarrassing him, still. "Have a good day...sir..." His mind was wandering and he didn't like the conversation. Turning, he started towards a fruit stand, realized he was rather hungry.
3/12/2010 #515
writingbythepower
"And you too, Mr. Ames." Nodding, he began walking down the street, looking back for a moment as the boy looked around in the market. Mathieu was an intelligent young man, could have potential... if he actually applied himself. So many students acted as he did, not caring for anything but the moment, not thinking of the future.
3/12/2010 #516
SnowClaw of Windclan
Reaching for an apple, he paid for it and sat back, taking a bite and leaning back as he watched the people move through the snow. Sometimes he just stopped and thought like this, let the insecurities surge through him before he could deflect them, gently submitting like sand under the waves. It didn't hurt to sink, and he didn't drown, simply became motionless under the still waves.
3/12/2010 #517
writingbythepower
Walter continued to walk until he arrived home. Walking into his bedroom, he sat down on his bed, then laid down. He took a sigh, thinking over the day. School always seemed to be so long, yet so short. But it was his personal life that gave him a reason to sigh, the personal problems that he seemed to have. Pushing those thoughts away, he closed his eyes and drifted into a light sleep.
3/12/2010 #518
SnowClaw of Windclan
November the 27th

The next day a thin layer of snow covered the ground, although not much. Most were more concerned about the wedding of the Wickhams, the event of which a lot of talk was centered on. Any wedding was a thriving social event and this one wasn't going to be any different.

Bella frowned at the maid. "Make the laces tighter." The woman sighed and jerked them as far as they would go, tying them off. Bella took a moment to catch her breath before she went over her hair with her brush, heading downstairs to meet Pauline. Although rather plain she looked fairly pretty today, her complexion glowing compared to the time of year.

When they were all ready the three women rode in a horse drawn buggy to the wedding site, greeting others they did and didn't know.

3/12/2010 #519
writingbythepower
Walter awoke that morning, had no care for the wedding that everyone seemed to be talking about. He wasn't a social person, did not go to many social events unless having a specific reason. As he walked around the town, however, he noticed many carriages driving in the direction of the church where the wedding was to take place. And, as luck or fate or the devil himself would have it, Walter saw Pauline's face out of one of the windows of a passing carriage, and then suddenly Bella's as well.
3/12/2010 #520
SnowClaw of Windclan
The wedding went along as they always did; the reception was when the social part of the event began. Several recognizable faces were there, even that of Eliott; some of the students were there as well. One of them was Mathieu. He smiled slightly, looked over at a woman with a thick mane of black hair. "Dance with me, Miss?"
3/12/2010 #521
writingbythepower
He didn't know if it was habit or his need to see her, but Walter followed the carriage to the wedding and entered, suddenly happy that his attire was at least somewhat appropriate for the occasion. Looking around, he saw Bella there for a moment and stared at her, angry at himself for being so foolish as to follow her all the way here. But now, as he saw Mathieu holding his hand out for a dance, his rage turned into a feeling that could come to disgust, a thought of dread thinking of one of his students asking what could only be considered the love of his life for a dance.
3/12/2010 #522
SnowClaw of Windclan
Bella debated the offer. There was nothing wrong with accepting the request for a dance; most tended to do such things. Not wrong to do. "If you insist." She took his hand and started across the floor, making an attempt to lead as she always did. Mathieu blinked, had nobody ever taught her to dance? It was rathe runladylike, but she was attractive, anyhow.
3/12/2010 #523
writingbythepower
Walter watched them as they moved toward the dance floor, as they glided around. His face turned red with anger, frustration. Never in his life had he been more jealous, never had he felt so angry at someone. It wasn't Mathieu, truly. While it was awkward having a student dance with the woman who had fallen in love with, it wasn't the boy's fault. The situation itself made him angry, the thoughts that came into his head as they danced around, Bella leading of course. For a moment he didn't move, just watched them. Suddenly, and only for a moment as they seemed to either slow down or stop, Bella and Walter's eyes met, making Walter flinch for a second.
3/12/2010 #524
SnowClaw of Windclan
When the dance ended Bella returned to where she had been sitting, getting satisfaction out of his reaction to what she had done. Mathieu blinked, saw the teacher, saw his expression, froze. Did I just...? Yes, I did...I'm not going to pass literature...He moved into the crowd, seeming to vanish amongst the people. BElla simply smirked, raising both brows.
3/12/2010 #525
writingbythepower
Walter watched the boy run away, felt sorry for him for a moment. However, he was consumed with the expression on Bella's face, the expression of satisfaction of making him angry. Walking directly up to her, he extended his hand. "May I have this dance," he said, not shaking in the least.
3/12/2010 #526
SnowClaw of Windclan
She watched him with a feline glare. "Of course you may, Mr. Davis, although I may state that you are now in competition with your young predecessor." She stood, taking his hand in a stiff grip as they began to dance, her attempts to lead quite obvious, and as obvious as her motions to irritate him.
3/12/2010 #527
writingbythepower
"Am I, now? I didn't know you were in the business of dancing with children." He was sure to not mention that the boy was one of his students, otherwise she would surely never end her rant about it. Instead, he decided to play her game, attempt to combat her moves. It wouldn't be easy, few people in the city, or possible the whole of Virginia, mastered the art of irritation and evil that Bella could muster.
3/12/2010 #528
SnowClaw of Windclan
"It's a matter of personal standards, Mr. Davis." She moved with the dance, stating, "Men like yourself fall below that line." She stated it simply, indirectly stamping down the fact that she did not find him remotely attractive, direct enough for her remark to be taken note of and understood.
3/12/2010 #529
writingbythepower
He gave a grin, said, "Oh, I'm sorry, was that supposed to make me angry? Sad? I believe you mistaken me for someone with a heart. Seems you forgot that it was you who ripped it out sometime ago." It was their game, a constant battle of cat and mouse where he was always the mouse. However, he was quick to his feet and able to make a comment quickly enough, trying to defend himself on this battlefield of insults and emotions.
3/12/2010 #530
SnowClaw of Windclan
The music slowly came to an end and Bella moved away. "I do believe that this dance is over, Mr. Davis. Thank you very much for allowing me such a lovely dance with you." Her voice was ever sarcastic as she headed back towards where Pauline, who was smiling gently, sat.
3/12/2010 #531
writingbythepower
Now Walter was angry. The sarcasm in her voice had not helped him, and now he felt the need to do something. So, after giving a difficult smile and nod to Bella, he walked over to Pauline and extended his hand. "Would you care for a dance, miss?"
3/12/2010 #532
SnowClaw of Windclan
"I...Yes." Pauline smiled slightly, being fond of Walter herself if not only in a friendly way. She drifted alongside him without trying to lead, unaware that she was, in essence, being used. Bella snorted, rolled her eyes, and leaned back in her chair. Let him dance with Pauline.
3/12/2010 #533
writingbythepower
He led, moving gently to the motion of the music. "You know, you are a very beautiful woman," he said, smiling and looking into her eyes. "And very charming, I might add." Somewhat, it was a ploy, but all of the things he stated were true. She was a beautiful woman and rather charming, but he wasn't the woman he cared for. That was Bella, and that's who he truly cared for.
3/12/2010 #534
SnowClaw of Windclan
"Thank you," she smiled slightly, "But I'm afraid I can't accept such praise, not when you care for Bella." She wasn't blind, and had noticed his affections almost from the start, although she had never mentioned it. Her voice was thin, floating, quiet, matching her graceful way of motion. She closed her eyes for a moment, taking a gentle breath and exhaling.
3/12/2010 #535
writingbythepower
"Bella? Bella who?" He gave a small laugh, looked into her eyes. "There is no occasion or rules to tell a woman she is beautiful. It simply happens." He did, for only a moment, look over at Bella. When Pauline's eyes moved for a moment he gave a quick glance at her, noticed she was looking. He gave a quick smirk in her direction, went back to focusing on Pauline before she had a chance to look at him.
3/12/2010 #536
SnowClaw of Windclan
"I don't believe that it is very kind to her," Pauline said quietly, taking a small breath in through her nose, the intake of air silent. She had neither a southern nor northern accent, as her voice was void of any true accenting of any region which might have claimed her.
3/12/2010 #537
writingbythepower
"Well, I believe we both know how much kindness she gives..." He didn't continue the comment, left it at that. Exhaling himself, he looked back at her. "I'm sorry, I don't mean to try to put Bella down. I was simply giving you a compliment. When a man sees a beautiful woman, he can not help but let her know. Few women realize how beautiful they are, and those who do aren't always deserving of such beauty."
3/12/2010 #538
SnowClaw of Windclan
"Thank you, Mr. Davis." She gently moved away from the dance as it came to an end to sit down next to her lashing counterpart. She closed her eyes for a moment, shaking her head slightly back and forth. The relationship, unfortunately, wasn't a very healthy one, even if it wasn't her place to judge...
3/12/2010 #539
writingbythepower
"It was a pleasure to enjoy you company, miss," he said, directly his compliment in the direction of Pauline. Turning to Bella, he gave a small bow. "Bella, a pleasure always." Turning to go, he walked for only a few steps then turned back around. Walking back over to Pauline, he said, "Would you care to join me for dinner tonight? I don't mean to boast, but I am a rather good cook. It would be an honor to have your company."
3/12/2010 #540
« Prev Page 1 .. 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 28 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: SnowClaw of Windclan writingbythepower
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member