A Foreign World
November, 1862. A last battle is held in Lexington, Kentucky, cornering the Union army against the Appalachian Mountains. A surrender is filed and the Civil War ends. Now it is the middle of the month, and reconstruction has begun...
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 12 .. Last Next »
writingbythepower

Walter gave a slight nod, "Well, I hope that you get everything sorted out. Glad to see you alive, most of all. Thinking of that, you see who that is over there?" He pointed his finger over to Jackson on his horse. "Can you believe that? Ole' Stonewall back from the battlefield. Had him at down at V.M.I., wicked teacher. Wonder what he'll be doing now."

1/24/2010 #31
SnowClaw of Windclan

Wade turned his head in the direction that Walter pointed. "I saw him watching the auction a few minutes ago." He observed the man for a moment, taking in the ice blue eyes, the sable hair and beard that framed his face. He wondered what Jackson would do now, too, seeing as the war had been won. There had been nothing like what he had felt when he realized that the war had been won...It had been all at the same time, and screeches and joyous howls and cries rose into the skies.

1/24/2010 #32
writingbythepower

Walter looked over at the general again, nodded. "Wonder what he is thinking right about now. Imagine him and ole' Marse Robert's are feeling good, having whipped them Yanks like they did. Course, the generals over in Kentucky have done quite a lot. Wonder what their going to do over there, in Kentucky. Some think they'll end up seceding with the rest of us, maybe even Missouri and Maryland will follow." He gave a full nod with the comment.

1/25/2010 #33
SnowClaw of Windclan

"You think so?" Wade tilted his head slightly as he thought over the possibility, and then he shrugged. "Well, I guess anything's possible, now. God is on our side, and He's shown that to us." Smiling gently, the Confederate set his hand back on the rail where his horse was tied, mulling over the idea. "We'd get food out of the deal. I wonder how trade's going to be if we ever recover relations with the United States."

1/25/2010 #34
writingbythepower

Walter shrugged. "Don't suppose it should matter. We won't need those Yanks as long as the Brits and the French keep trading with us. Glad that the Valley didn't get hit hard during the war, otherwise we'd be hard to get food now. Course, we can thank Stonewall over there for that." He nodded again and sighed.

1/25/2010 #35
SnowClaw of Windclan

Wade looked over at the general for a moment. "That's true. The ladies like the French things much better than the Yankee clothing, anyways. They go overboard, in my opinion," Wade noted, "And the British are some of the best metalcrafters in the world, at least in my opinion. I was taught to shoe horses by a British man, and I don't think that I would have gotten a better teacher from any other country except for our own Confederacy."

1/25/2010 #36
writingbythepower

Walter smiled and raised his hand as if it had a glass in it. "Yes indeed. The Yanks got nothing on us, not in smarts or strength. The Brits will help, and the French. They need the cotton, and someone to keep the Yankees in check. We'll be up and out of the Union's economic reach before no time, and then not even them over in Europe can touch us." He was fidgeting, getting rather excited about what he had been saying.

1/25/2010 #37
SnowClaw of Windclan

"I hear that the legislature's trying to pass a new bill," Wade noted, "It's to encourage farming more produce, and not just cash crops. From what I understand, they'll be giving land away for people to farm on." He turned, petting both sides of his mare's face as he continued with what he was saying. "I don't think that I'm going to move, though. I'm happier living on a small plot."

1/25/2010 #38
writingbythepower

Walter nodded in agreement. "I may end up buying some more land, buying more slaves to work. That's something else, people are wondering how the European's are going to treat us with slavery. Some say it was the only reason they didn't join us in the first place. Personally, I say we don't need 'em. We fought and won the war by ourselves, we don't need some Frenchie or Brit telling us how to live our lives. I don't know, the politics are a bit beyond me. I've got an uncle who's into it, he's a Congressman or something. Maybe I'll ask him next time I see him." He nodded at the comment and looked down, slightly confused by it all.

1/25/2010 #39
SnowClaw of Windclan

Wade shrugged, the piece of straw in his mouth moving slightly. "Personally, after a little while politics get a bit monotonous to me. Sometimes they're worth reading in the Enquirer, but it really depends on what the issue is. I'm tired of hearing about tax bills, because I don't really think that I'm spending too much more or too much less for the government in the end."

1/25/2010 #40
writingbythepower

Walter exhaled. "I believe that. Thought we left the Union because we didn't want the government interfering in out business. We leave them to have our new government do the same. Course, someone's got to give the money to the government, so I suppose it's not terrible. As long as we're free from ole' Abe and his crazies up in Washington, I'm fine. That's what I fought and killed for, so I didn't have to listen to them. This is my Virginia..... well, our Virginia."

1/25/2010 #41
SnowClaw of Windclan

Wade nodded in agreement. "It's much better to be familiar with our own government, much better. How many times did Lincoln ever go further South than Virginia? President Lee will do a better job, I think. He's a good man, and he knows what he's doing up there. Plus, he's served, and he knows just how much we treasure this nation." Wade, smiling, looked over to General Jackson for a moment.

1/25/2010 #42
writingbythepower

Walter smiled. "I agree. Military men always make good leaders, Washington for example. You never appreciate something when you've fought and killed for it, and Lee understand that. What I do wonder, though, is if the Yanks are going to let us go without another fight. Not as long as Lee is around, I'm sure. He'll send 'em back to Washington again and again. Still, it's something to think about."

1/25/2010 #43
SnowClaw of Windclan

Wade tilted his head slightly. "They'd have to put their military back together again, but at that point, we'll have put ours back together, too, so there shouldn't be much of a problem. You do have a point though, although I don't think that they're really going to put up another fight with us." He ran his fingers through his mare's forelock. The slave auction behind them was winding down to a close.

1/25/2010 #44
writingbythepower

Walter lifted his arms and shrugged. "I don't know, it's possible. I know that some of them don't want it to be over, but a good amount do. Hopefully it will all end up well, and we'll be living in peace for a good amount of time." He looked up at the slave auction, gestured his hand over. "I believe I'll go over here and see if I can buy one. Might be able to use some help at the farm." He extended his hand, "Pleasure to see you again, Wade. Hope it won't be the last time, either."

1/25/2010 #45
SnowClaw of Windclan

Wade shook his hand, meeting his eyes and smiling. "It's a pleasure to see you, too. I do think that we'll see each other around more often, now that the war is over." As Walter left, he set about untying the mare's reins. He debated mounting her but instead decided to walk, as Carter would have to walk and that would slow them down a bit. Turning to Carter, he smiled. "It's good that this war is over."

1/25/2010 #46
Uldaren Bardaniel

Carter nodded. "Good for some of us," he noted quietly, glancing for a moment at the deserted auction block.

1/25/2010 #47
SnowClaw of Windclan

Wade at first blinked, not really thinking that the slave would have said something like that. The Cracker decided to let it go, beginning to lead the mare along the streets. Turning to Carter, he spoke above the quiet hums of the people of Richmonds' voices and hooves on stone. "This is Lucy," he said, making a small gesture to the horse, "She won't give you any problems."

1/25/2010 #48
writingbythepower

Jackson, who had been watching Wade, rode over to him. He moved close to the man, said, "I believe I have seen you before, sir. Last name Thomas, correct?" He looked over to Carter, gave a slight nod. He wished he didn't have to think about this man as a slave, but it kept appearing in his head.

1/25/2010 #49
Uldaren Bardaniel

Slightly started, Carter wordlessly returned the nod to the Confederate general.

1/25/2010 #50
SnowClaw of Windclan

Wade blinked, having not expected General Jackson to come up to him personally. "Yes, sir. Wade Thomas...I was a Corporal under you, sir." He folded his arms behind his back, remembering the Battle of Kentucky for a moment. Maybe Walter was right, and Kentucky would become part of their nation. Wade didn't know yet, but he had the faintest feeling that what Walter said was going to be true, eventually.

1/25/2010 #51
writingbythepower

Jackson nodded, remembering. "Yes, Corporal Thomas. I remember the face. I noticed you there," he said, pointing toward where Wade had been during the auction, "And recognized you. I thought I should come over, acknowledge you. It isn't often I remember men."

1/25/2010 #52
SnowClaw of Windclan

"I appreciate that you did, sir." Wade said, looking over towards the empty auction block for a moment. He was a little bit embarrassed, remembering that Jackson did not support slavery. Then again, did he? Wade hadn't really thought about his own opinions yet, because he had never had enough surplus money to even afford a slave. He probably shouldn't have bought Carter for that reason, either.

1/25/2010 #53
writingbythepower

Jackson nodded. "Yes, yes." He reached over and took out a lemon from his packet on his waist. He tore the skin and put it into his mouth. "Has everything been well for you since after the war?" He looked over to Carter, giving the man a slight stare.

1/25/2010 #54
Uldaren Bardaniel

Carter carefully looked to the side, avoiding the man's eyes. Slaves never looked a white man in the eyes if possible.

1/25/2010 #55
SnowClaw of Windclan

Wade watched him eat for a moment before he answered. "Well, sir, to be frank, my back still hurts me sometimes...They got the bullet out okay, though. I'm more lucky than most men are." He gave a faint smile and noticed Carter looking away. A still feeling crept into his chest for a moment, like he had done something wrong. Then it slowly faded away, like a leaf on the wind.

1/25/2010 #56
writingbythepower

Jackson nodded, still eating the lemon. He raised his left arm up high, doing what he thought balanced his circulation. "I'm glad to hear that. We've all had something happen to us, or someone we know. But God and His grace has led us and our cause through. We must rejoice in that, and worry about nothing else." That's not entirely true, he thought, We must still worry about those men up North. He looked over at Carter again, began to think. "And what might be your name, sir?" He said it as he would to anyone else, never thinking of the color of skin to address a man properly.

1/25/2010 #57
Uldaren Bardaniel

Carter raised his head slightly, still careful to avoid Jackson's eyes. "Ah'm called Carter, suh," he answered.

1/25/2010 #58
writingbythepower

Jackson nodded. "A pleasure, Carter." He then looked back at Wade, the fire in his eyes. It was not in spite against the man, merely some fire that entered him when energy appeared. "Well I do hope that you gentlemen have a pleasant day. Corporal, a pleasure to see you again." Jackson gave a quick salute and then rode off, not thinking about it again. He had a meeting with President Lee that he could not be late for.

1/25/2010 #59
SnowClaw of Windclan

Wade felt the fire in his eyes and wondered about it for a moment before he turned to Carter again. "He's a good man. I served under him." Carter seemed to be a good man, too, from what Wade had observed, but he was, like most slaves, a little timid. Where am I going to keep him? The question hadn't been planned out, either. He'd set up a cot of some sort until he could find something better, he supposed.

1/25/2010 #60
« Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 12 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: SnowClaw of Windclan writingbythepower
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member