A Foreign World
November, 1862. A last battle is held in Lexington, Kentucky, cornering the Union army against the Appalachian Mountains. A surrender is filed and the Civil War ends. Now it is the middle of the month, and reconstruction has begun...
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 .. Last Next »
Star the Foxhound

Senator Jim Bailey stepped out onto the dark streets and raised his eyes towards the stars for a moment before looking down the street. He'd finally gone to see a doctor about his chest after it had been bothering him all day and had it looked it. According to the doctor he'd put too much pressure on the wound when he fell. There hadn't been a whole lot to be done in terms of treatment, but he had been given a mild pain medication which made him feel better. Although, he still wasn't planning on going to the ball.

Bailey started off down the street, sliding one hand into his pocket as he walked.

2/17/2010 #241
writingbythepower

Victor was walking solemnly, not truly caring where he was going. He was looking around, studying each and every person that walked by. That one's an drunk, that one's a soldier, that one's going to have a baby... It was a game, see what he could get out of reading each person. Everything was a challenge, something to figure out and discover. People are the greatest challenge, but also can be the easiest. Speak of the devil, he thought as he saw Senator Bailey. Waving his hand, he called out, "Senator Bailey, what a pleasure to see you!"

2/17/2010 #242
Star the Foxhound

Upon hearing the voice of the other senator, Bailey looked over at him. "Senator Cromwell, it is a pleasure to see you as well."

He stopped walking, although he was unsure whether he wanted to talk with him or not. Victor Cromwell was someone he didn't fully understand, and he wasn't sure who the right person to trust was, Cromwell or Flynn.

2/17/2010 #243
writingbythepower

He didn't give the man time to decide, walked straight up to Bailey and gave him a handshake. "So good to see you out and about, sir. I was afraid that you were ill or something worse. I trust that you are feeling much better?"

2/17/2010 #244
Star the Foxhound

Taking by surprise when Cromwell shook his hand, Bailey gave a small nod. "I am well, Senator, thank you for your concern."

2/17/2010 #245
writingbythepower

"That is very good to hear, Senator," Cromwell said with a large smile. He looked toward the ball, then back at Bailey. "Have you had a chance to see the ball, sir? I only entered for a moment, but it seems to be quite a celebration."

2/17/2010 #246
Star the Foxhound

Bailey shook his head. "No, I have not. I'm not much interested in celebrations and balls."

Even if he had been interested in them, he wouldn't have been there yet that night, seeing as he had had other things to deal with.

2/17/2010 #247
writingbythepower

Victor shook his head as well. "Nor am I. Much prefer to simple walk around and enjoy the night air. Well, then, shall we walk?" He gestured down the streets, beginning to sit himself.

2/17/2010 #248
Star the Foxhound

Still unsure about whether he should trust Cromwell enough to spend much time with him, Bailey hesitated for a moment. But then he figured that it wouldn't do any harm and so nodded. "Sure."

2/17/2010 #249
writingbythepower

He began to walk, looking over at the man every so often. "I don't believe I know where you are from, sir? I know you are from Virginia, but are you from Richmond or some other part?" It was a simple question, nothing underneath it. Eventually, though, he would try to sneak his own agenda entire Bailey's thoughts.

2/17/2010 #250
Star the Foxhound

"I am from Richmond," Bailey said, glancing over at him. "This city has been my home for as long as I can remember."

2/17/2010 #251
writingbythepower

He nodded, looking around the city. "It's a lovely city, sir. I enjoy being here. Not like the cities where I'm from. It's bigger, much more to do." He laughed, patted the man lightly on the back. It was an act, but he enjoyed it still. Nothing could stop it now, it was flowing out of his mouth into the air.

2/17/2010 #252
Star the Foxhound

Bailey nodded. "I enjoy it here, it's all I've ever known."

For a moment he paused. "What part of Tennessee are you from?"

2/17/2010 #253
writingbythepower

"Eastern part, just northeast of Knoxville. Small town no one's ever heard of. Lived their for most of my life, then went to the University of Tennessee. Been in politics ever since. I wanted to make a difference, wanted to give people a better life then I had. Guess that's the reason that I did it." This, of course, was a lie. However, as he was thinking of it, he forgot why he had decided to get into politics all those years ago. Does it matter, Victor? Does it matter in the slightest?

2/17/2010 #254
Star the Foxhound

Bailey nodded, falling silent for a moment. "I never thought that I would go into politics, all those years ago. A lot has changed over the years."

2/17/2010 #255
writingbythepower

He smiled slightly, nodding. "It seems to get hard to remember things as you get older. Although, you're still young, not as old as I am. It just gets harder, trust me." He laughed, patted Bailey on the back.

2/17/2010 #256
Star the Foxhound

"I still remember what I wanted." Bailey gave his head a small shake. "But you don't want to hear me talk about what I wish happened I'm sure. I shouldn't think about the past so much."

2/17/2010 #257
writingbythepower

Victor shook his head. "Speak freely, sir. The past is one of the few things we have that we can treasure. Our own pasts are something to cherish. Please, I insist."

2/17/2010 #258
Star the Foxhound

Bailey nodded. "The past is a treasure, more then anything the future can ever bring. I can't ever go back, as much as I wish that I could. Never in my life did I think I would become involved in politics, I thought that I would always be a soldier. But I can't now, I'm never going to be able to go back out onto the field."

After he said that, he looked down, stared at the road as he continued to walk.

2/17/2010 #259
writingbythepower

He nodded, thinking. "The military was your life before, I can understand that. You do well as a politican, I can say that. It's a pleasure to serve with you." Victor said it with a smile, something he had learned to do. Emotions could be controlled, smiles forced. With the right touch, you can convince anyone anything.

2/17/2010 #260
Star the Foxhound

"Thank you." Bailey smiled faintly. "You do well as a politician too."

His doubt of Cromwell's trust was fading, for he was starting to enjoy the other's company. Cromwell didn't seem like a bad person at home, from the way he was talking, it seemed like he was caring, someone Bailey decided he would like to get to know better.

2/17/2010 #261
writingbythepower

"Why thank you sir. You're too kind." He walked silently for a moment, knew that it was all working. Bailey's not weak, but he's close to it. I can play him as well as I can play anyone. It's rather fun as well. Laughing only on the inside, he continued to walk with the man, not speaking for a moment.

2/17/2010 #262
Star the Foxhound

He gave his head a small shake. "I think that you are very good at your job."

Bailey had no idea how much Cromwell was playing with him, truely believed everything the other man was saying.

2/17/2010 #263
writingbythepower

"I only do what I can. I try, sir, that is all I can do. Try to make life better for the people of Tennessee and of our nation." He believed those words, or at least he used too. Now, he wasn't sure what he believed. Beliefs had changed, ways of thinking, what he really wanted wasn't what it used to be. Doesn't matter. The past is the past. Only worry about the money that you're making today and the money you'll be making tomorrow.

2/17/2010 #264
Star the Foxhound

"I believe that is all of our hopes, to make life better for our nation," Bailey said, "It's our duty as Senators, to carry out the task."

Duty. Once he had talked about the duty of the army, the duty of a soldier. But those days seemed like they were ages away.

2/17/2010 #265
writingbythepower

"Yes, yes it is," Victor said, nodding. This is my chance! Tell him what I need him to hear, NOW! "Our duty is to make sure that the people get what they deserve. Only the right legislation can do that. It is our duty to get that legislation through. Some people don't seem to understand that." He was speaking of Flynn, of course, but did not say the name directly. Leave it open. Let him think he figured it out. Give them what they want.

2/17/2010 #266
Star the Foxhound

Bailey nodded. "I can see where you are coming from Senator. What you are saying makes sense, all of it. It is a lot to think about."

2/17/2010 #267
writingbythepower

"It is, sir. It certainly is. But we must remember that you and I are trying hard to work for the people. Some are working for other things, things I don't approve of. Their own personal beliefs, rather then what the people need. I believe you care about the people sir. That's who I work for, who I care about. Everything I propose is for the people."

2/17/2010 #268
Star the Foxhound

Once again Bailey nodded. "I do work for the people and I want what is best for them. My personal beliefs are not as important as there's are, because we all have a duty to serve them. I agree completely with you Senator Cromwell."

2/17/2010 #269
writingbythepower

He smiled gently. "I'm very glad to hear that, sir. Now, I don't want to poison the well or anything, but I believe I can say that Senator Flynn can become that. Not to say, of course, that Mr. Flynn does not do good things. I believe that he is a very good man, does many good things. However, he tends to vote more on his personal beliefs rather then what the people need. I have seen this, and I vote against it. I hope that you can join me when those times arise. Senator Flynn, and some of the other senators as well, cannot vote as they see fit without the cares of the people. I hope that you agree...Jim."

2/17/2010 #270
« Prev Page 1 .. 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: SnowClaw of Windclan writingbythepower
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member