A Foreign World
November, 1862. A last battle is held in Lexington, Kentucky, cornering the Union army against the Appalachian Mountains. A surrender is filed and the Civil War ends. Now it is the middle of the month, and reconstruction has begun...
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
SnowClaw of Windclan

Texas is the land of dust and rangers. Battles against the Native Americans are a daily occurence and horrific tales are spun about them. Are they true? Few people know, but, because the women love to hear stories of their men's bravado against the savages, they are told often.

1/25/2010 #1
writingbythepower

General Stonewall Jackson rode his horse into a small outpost in eastern Texas. It had been a long journey by train, but he was glad to be done. He looked over to a post, tied his horse to it. Walking into the officers quarters, he say a band of officers sitting together, talking. Giving a full salute, he looked over them with slight disdain. "Gentlemen, I am General Thomas Jackson, reporting here for the night."

2/15/2010 #2
SnowClaw of Windclan

A man with long sable hair moved his mouth a bit and spat, bringing his horse up to the general's and extending a gloved hand. "I'm Riley." The mustang that he rode was bay, nothing special, with a shaggy, dust covered coat and a bored expression. Riley--not a man of the military, but a Texas Ranger--did not hold officers and commanders alike in very high regard. In the end, he thought, physical knowledge and experience were much more important than rank.

2/15/2010 #3
writingbythepower

Jackson looked over at the man, nodded only slightly. "Sir, I am General Jackson. Mr. Riley, sir, are you aware of who is in command of this post?"

2/15/2010 #4
SnowClaw of Windclan

"In command of this post?" Riley, holding the mare's reins in his left hand, held an incredulous expression. He exchanged glances with the three rangers that he had been speaking to, then turned back to Jackson. "There's no command of this post. We were leading ourselves." And most of us would prefer it to stay that way, he noted to himself, although he didn't show or voice it.

2/15/2010 #5
writingbythepower

Jackson didn't nod, simply stared. He looked around the area, noting that it certainly looked that way. It wasn't incredibly well kept, no military order by anyone. Jackson lowered his hand, pushed his cap down below his eye line. "Mr. Riley, this is a military post. Who is the commanding officer?" Thomas was losing his patience, and it was beginning to irritate him.

2/15/2010 #6
SnowClaw of Windclan

Riley was rather irked at the fact that the man hadn't taken him seriously. "Mr. Jackson, there is no commanding officer." He leaned back in the saddle, chewing his tobacco as he watched the General. Riley had no respect for these men that had been spoonfed by the president, and he didn't see any reason for others to hold any respect for them, either. His horse snorted, shifting her weight to her right side.

2/15/2010 #7
writingbythepower

"General Jackson, sir." Jackson wasn't incredible fond that this boy was treating his as a civilian rather then a general, and it truly had reached the final straw. "Sir, I need all personel in this area on the double. I need to speak to all of you." He was serious, and knowing that the man wasn't going to take him as such. These people needed to know discipline, and it was necessary that they learn it immediately.

2/15/2010 #8
SnowClaw of Windclan

Now the fancy man's going to beat us with that silver spoon stuck in his throat. Riley raised a thick brow but didn't respond to what he had said, turning his mare at a trot. He turned to a latino man and spoke. "Sanchez, get the fellows back at the camp and send somebody to bring back the men at the river." Sanchez nodded, responding with an 'mm' and turned his horse, heading off to get the others. Riley brought his mare back in front of Jackson's, leaning back again and moving his jaw to the side slightly, still chewing his tobacco. This man was going to be fun, obviously.

2/15/2010 #9
writingbythepower

Jackson nodded at Sanchez, looked back at Riley. "Mr. Riley, how was this post not reported as having no commander? It is protocol that all military posts have so commander, just as any unit does. Are there no officers here?" For a moment, it was more a curious question then a demanding one. However, he still felt rather demanding in the need for an answer. No discipline here. None. I'll have to change that first.

2/15/2010 #10
SnowClaw of Windclan

"This isn't a post, Mr. Jackson." He huffed on an exhale, chewing his tobacco for a moment. He still leaned back in the saddle as he continued, "We function in groups of five to six that each cover about fifty acres, sometimes more. There aren't any officers or commanders. It's not Virginia, and I'm not in the military." He had taken his chances by calling him Mr. Jackson again, but had made a statement without completely blatant disrespect towards the General.

2/15/2010 #11
writingbythepower

Jackson nodded this time, accepting this as a fact of the West. A fact I will soon change. "Well then, Mr. Riley, we have several things we must settle. As the only person of reasonable sense I have yet to find in this post (he persisted to use this word), I appoint you as the commanding officer. Therefore, you shall note me as General Jackson, and you shall learn some respect."

2/15/2010 #12
SnowClaw of Windclan

Riley raised both brows in a vaguely unimpressed expression. He brought the hand with the reins a bit closer to his waist as his mare started to bend her head as if she wanted to graze. "I don't have a desire to play army games or become some high brass officer, because at the end of the day, a little piece of brass on your shoulder or your neck doesn't make you any more important." He spat out his chewing tobacco, and it landed on the ground to his right. "A piece of brass doesn't add moral significance or phyiscal right to lead."

2/15/2010 #13
writingbythepower

Jackson was coming close to yelling in a fit of rage. "Army games?! I felt no game on the fields of Manassas or Fredericksburg or Sharpsburg, nor did I see any games in Mexico, boy. I did not fight and kill and be shot to have a piece of brass on my shoulder, but I am not going to have some ranger from the desert talk that way about good men!!!" He was red in the face now, his could feel the emotion as well. It made him even more angry, knowing that it was all coming out physically and verbally.

2/15/2010 #14
SnowClaw of Windclan

Riley raised both thick brows, staring at him with a skeptical look, although it was evident that he was insulted. "I'm sorry that Texas doesn't suit your needs." Riley took note of the way that he was acting. Like a spoilt child. All generals are that way in the end, ready to throw a fit if they don't get their way. They're no better than the rest of us. "The Indians don't march or line up like ragdolls in a toy collection when they attack. If you intend on lining my comrades up to be knocked down one by one, you're a fool."

2/15/2010 #15
writingbythepower

"And if you don't think I've fought and killed my share of men, you're a fool." Jackson had calmed down, relaxed. He was willing to compromise, but he knew in the end order would win. "And I rather enjoy Texas. Reminds me of Mexico, beautiful country. Haven't been back to this area in a long time, and I would be lying if I said I didn't miss it." Nothing could phase him again, he was sure of it. His temper had gotten out, and he promised himself that it would not again.

2/15/2010 #16
SnowClaw of Windclan

Riley was still leaning back in the saddle, folded his arms loosely across his chest and spat another spittoon out, a single dark spot on the red, sandy soil under his mare's feet. With Jackson's calming the ranger had seemed to relax if only slightly, although he didn't like Jackson's latest words any more than the first ones. Yes, Riley had known from the moment he saw him that they would have problems. It was an instinct, one of many, and the fact that he was a general, craving order and desiring everything to be perfect, had driven the stake into the dirt. Sanchez arrived with about twenty men behind him, numbering the rangers at about thirty five.

2/15/2010 #17
writingbythepower

Jackson nodded to the men who had just entered, got on his own horse and rode over to them. As he had done with so many troops before, he gave a salute and began a speech. "Gentlemen, I am General Thomas Jackson here to command the forces in the West. My duty here is to prevent any Union forces to try and reclaim this land. Now, as I understand from Mr. Riley here, military order and protocol has been lacking, to say the least. However, this is going to change. Without order, chaos ensues, gentlemen. To the West holds California, still under Federal control. To the South, Mexico, bitter still over the war some years ago. To the North, of course, the United States of America. And finally all around us Comanche and other Indian tribes wait to reclaim this very land. We are going to prevent anything from happening here. That is my duty, and I plan to do just that."

2/16/2010 #18
SnowClaw of Windclan

Riley raised both eyebrows, leaning back in the saddle with the reins in his left hand. His right was on the horn of the saddle, but he was not using it to support himself; his hat was atop his head at a slight angle. "Call me Riley," he stated. That is your duty? We've been doing it just fine on our own, arrogant man. It would have spiraled to chaos by now if that was going to happen. "There's order here." Riley continued, "Just not the kind you're used to." Riley smiled in satisfaction at his words, the corners of his mouth creasing and moving the sable colored stubble ever so slightly. His hat cast a slight shadow over his eyes.

2/16/2010 #19
writingbythepower

"I have no doubt that there is order here, Mr. Riley," Jackson began, ignoring Riley's suggestion, "But proper order is needed. First, this is a military post from now on. A military officer shall be in command of it, and his word is to be carried out as such. I am certain that all of you wish that I were not here, but that is the past, gentlemen. Now we shall prepare ourselves for a fight, whether it comes to us or not. Mr. Riley, when was the last time this post was attacked my either Indians or Federal forces?"

2/16/2010 #20
SnowClaw of Windclan

"It's Riley." Riley stated, raising both thick brown eyebrows again and staring at Jackson with a skeptical expression. His mare shifted her weight again, playing with the metal bit in her mouth. "The Federal forces don't bother us, Mr. Jackson, and we were attacked by Indians yesterday." He sat up in the saddle, shot a spittoon to his right. The mare stomped her foot, shifting again.

2/16/2010 #21
writingbythepower

Jackson grunted slightly, partly for Riley's comments about the Federals but mostly for calling him 'Mr. Jackson'. "Yes, well, we must be prepared for any sort of attack. I personally have never fought Indians, but I know how they fight. For the most part, though, you will be teaching me as much as I will teach. Now, gentlemen, you may go back to your duties. Dismissed." He saluted the men and then rode over to Riley. "Mr. Riley, if you would please follow me." Getting off his horse, he walked steady to an office where he opened the door and held it open for Riley.

2/16/2010 #22
SnowClaw of Windclan

Riley watched him with a jaded expression, raising his eyebrows again at the way that he was adressed. "Riley." Before he followed, he turned in the saddle, making a gesture in Sanchez's direction. "Sanchez, see if you can find something for food." The man responded with a grunt and turned his paint to head off. Riley dismounted, tied his horse at the wooden post that had been built. He followed Jackson with a skeptical look; he felt no need to obey him if he wasn't part of the military.

2/16/2010 #23
writingbythepower

Jackson walked in after Riley, taking a seat. He wasn't going to sit behind a desk, wanted to talk face-to-face. Pulling up a chair across from his own, he gestured toward it and sat down. "Please, sit, sir. I wanted to have a private conversation for a moment. I understand that we both have some personal differences, and I wished to address them. If you wish to state anything first, please."

2/16/2010 #24
SnowClaw of Windclan

"Riley." He corrected, his words making it obvious that he was cross with the other man. He didn't sit down, remaining standing with his weight shifted to one leg and his hand on his hip. He wasn't a fan of talking things out, and that, too, was rather clear. "Mr. Jackson, you have a silver spoon wedged into your throat and five hundred men in Washinton whose rears you need to go back and kiss. This is Texas in an unofficial war with Indians, not Virginia, and it's not a base where you can tell us to step into line and drill." He snorted before he continued, "We function well as we are, and we don't need you."

2/16/2010 #25
writingbythepower

Jackson could only nod for a moment, surpressing the anger. "Well, sir... Riley," he said, correcting himself for a moment, "I have not, nor do I ever plan to have, a silver spoon, as you said, 'wedged in my throat'. I came into command by my own merit in combat, and I hope that you can respect that. Nor do I need to 'kiss the rear' of anyone. No one needs to tell me what you've seen out here, or how things are run. I don't expect anyone to line up and drill, but I do expect order. Now you say that you don't need me, and frankly I would say that I would prefer that you and half those men out there had never seen this post. However, we are in the situation, and therefore we must stride through it. You don't care for the military, I can see that. But an officer will command just as much respect as you can get, and you won't get the respect of the military without being one. So, unofficially of course, I'm appointing you as a colonel. I know we have our differences, but for the sanity and clarity of everyone here we must work together. We both want the same thing, the protection of the West from invasion of any kind. Let us focus on that rather then our differences."

2/16/2010 #26
SnowClaw of Windclan

Riley huffed, folding his arms. "I don't want the respect of rear-kissing men who eat government-issued silver spoons. I have the respect of these men and I don't need a little piece of brass to prove myself, Mr. Jackson." He hadn't specified why he didn't like the military, and didn't intend on it, either. He shifted his weight to his right leg, spitting into the bowl on the floor. "I'll play your army games, Mr. Jackson, but I won't wear a uniform and I'm not going to flaunt a little one by two inch piece of brass like a peacock with new feathers." He glared pointedly at the line of stars on Jackson's collar.

2/16/2010 #27
writingbythepower

Jackson sighed, glared himself. "Very well, Mr. Riley. I don't expect anything from you except respect. You don't want to understand the military, and for the moment I can only agree to disagree with you. However, we have more pressing matters to deal with. I need to become completely up to date with everything that has happened here for the past few months. How often are there Indian raids?" Usually, he would have gotten out a pencil and some paper, but for now he would just make mental notes. Don't play into this man's stereotype. Let him see something else, something he would agree with.

2/16/2010 #28
SnowClaw of Windclan

Riley snorted. Shows just how much he knows about Texas. "Every day. The Federals don't bother us, they're leaving. The Mexicans aren't 'bitter' from your heroic adventures in the Mexican War, either." He raised both eyebrows for a moment, "And I don't think that you would know how they fight, although if you get ambushed, feel free to throw a piece of brass into their eye and see how that goes over." He held the same agitated expression.

2/16/2010 #29
writingbythepower

"I imagine that I can handle my own, sir. I have defended my home as they are defending theirs, I know how they fight. Very well, I'll explain my main concern to you. The Federals are leaving, as you said, but I'm not yet convinced that they want to give up Texas. To our West is land that they took in the Mexican War, but I believe that they fear we'll make some claim to it. The Mexican army poses no threat to me, but I feel it important to never underestimate anyone. How many civilians leave in this area?"

2/16/2010 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: SnowClaw of Windclan writingbythepower
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member