A Foreign World
November, 1862. A last battle is held in Lexington, Kentucky, cornering the Union army against the Appalachian Mountains. A surrender is filed and the Civil War ends. Now it is the middle of the month, and reconstruction has begun...
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 .. Last Next »
SnowClaw of Windclan
Riley, outdoors at that time, approached the White Face after climbing over the corral's fence, watching him. The horse gave him a wild stare, standing still with a wary look on his face as Riley approached with a rope. The White Face bolted' Riley caught his neck with the rope a few seconds after.
2/28/2010 #301
writingbythepower
Jackson could hear what was going on outside, didn't actually know what it was. However, he did not go to explore but instead stayed and watched over Wesley. He prefered to sit and do this much more then watch anything else at the moment.
2/28/2010 #302
SnowClaw of Windclan
Riley, battling the wild creatures kicks and angry snorts, managed to tack up his yet-to-be-broken mount and climbed atop him before the horse could manage to do anything else. Rearing and screeching in anger, they began the same dance that they had before, Riley spurring him forward and the White Face resisting every inch of the way without exceptions.
2/28/2010 #303
writingbythepower
Hearing the sounds, Jackson began to wonder what would happen to Riley if the horse would throw him off. Jackson had been in many dangerous situations, had fought on countless battlefields. Still, the idea of being on a horse like that was beyond him. However, he figured that someone had to break a horse just as much as someone needed to lead men into battle. Everyone has a gift from God, and they must use that gift.
2/28/2010 #304
SnowClaw of Windclan
A good deal of time passed, mostly a blur to him. There were other things--like keeping his balance--more important than the time. Two hours? Three? Still, it was not the time--but the action during it--that marked the moment. The horse stopped. The stallion finally halted near the rail of the fence, panting heavily and only slightly harder than his rider. For a moment, both swayed, their exhaustion overcoming any hostility. Riley slowly set a hand on the horse's neck, knew he had to take advantage of the situation. And slowly, carefully, he dismounted, untacked the creature, offered a small bit of cactus to the animal, part where the hairlike spines didn't grow, inside of it, a piece of the fruit of the Prickly Pear itself.
2/28/2010 #305
writingbythepower
Jackson heared the commotion end, stood and walked out the door. He watched as Riley fed the animal, smiled. So, you finally broke him, Jackson thought. It was nice to see, the beautiful horse finally calm, if not for a moment. Everything seemed to be in a harmony with the animal, and he thought it was a sight well worth seeing.
2/28/2010 #306
SnowClaw of Windclan
Riley slumped against the fence when the stallion finished, leaning back on the fence and panting heavily. He had physical limits; they had been crossed by about an hour. He wiped the slick of sweat off of his forehead with a feebly lifted arm, closed his eyes and leaned back again. The horse returned to his own doings, watching him as it began to chew on the saddle.
2/28/2010 #307
writingbythepower
Jackson decided against going over to him, talking. The man was very tired, that was clear. He needed to rest, not get his blood boiling like he would if Jackson began to speak to him. Returning inside and to his chair, Jackson began rest his head. He had no intention of falling asleep, but one of his many ailments over took him and he fell asleep.
2/28/2010 #308
SnowClaw of Windclan
He would bathe tomorrow, Riley decided, yes, tomorrow. With that he shooed the equally tired horse away from the tack and hung it up on the side of the fence--as if that would do anything to stop the White Face from messing with it--and started towards his tent, laying down and falling asleep fairly quickly.
2/28/2010 #309
SnowClaw of Windclan
November 26: Riley woke up, slowly opened his eyes and looked around the tent. He started to get up, then stopped, his sore muscles tensing and stiffening at the abrupt movement. He was fairly well toned, but there were limits--and apparently clear ones at that. Gritting his teeth, he forced himself up, stretching to help himself a bit. He started towards the dimly lit camp, took a handful of fodder from the bag next to his tent. Approaching the White Face, he held it out; surprisingly, the horse slowly approached, took it, trotted off with his ears pinned.
2/28/2010 #310
writingbythepower
When he awoke, he did not move from his spot. Instead, he sat there and watched Wesley for a moment. Jackson thought for a moment, but then realized that there was not much else to think about. He had spent so much time here simply thinking that he no longer had much else to ponder, and therefore he sat there and watched the clouds in the sky as they went by.
2/28/2010 #311
SnowClaw of Windclan
Riley watched the horse for a moment. He was acting as an ornery stallion now, more than anything else in particular, although it was hardly surprising. He'd accepted that Riley was the dominant one in the relationship, had submitted fairly easily, after that. Still, he wasn't willing to become as friendly as Riley's much older mare--and, for the most part, he never would. Shrugging, Riley leaned back, thoughtlessly chewing his tobacco.

Shannon entered the room with a rag and a basin of soapy water, gently shook Wesley's shoulder. When his comrade opened his eyes, he spoke. "Wesley, you feeling alright enough to sit up?" Wesley blinked, rubbing his eyes, made an attempt to sit up and succeeded. Shannon smiled, turned to Jackson. "In that case, we'll leave him alone to clean himself off. Wesley expressed his thanks. Finally. Being filthy was not enjoyable.

2/28/2010 #312
writingbythepower
Jackson nodded, smiled at Wesley. "We'll be outside if you need anything." He left the room, watched the horse yet again. It truly was a beautiful animal, one of the most beautiful horses he had ever seen in his life.
2/28/2010 #313
SnowClaw of Windclan
Riley turned, saw the two outside. He approached them, although he spoke to Shannon, and not Jackson. "I take it that Wesley's doing better?" Shannon nodded affirmatively, following Jackson's gaze to the horse. "You did a good job with him, Riley."

"One of the more difficult ones."

2/28/2010 #314
writingbythepower
"I'm sure. He's got quite a spirit." Jackson watched as the horse walked around, the angry and energy filled with every stride. It was amazing how much energy the horse had in it, amazing that it was so spirited. He had never seen such a ignorant creature. Looking at Riley, he thought, well, maybe I have.
2/28/2010 #315
SnowClaw of Windclan
"He's not a fragile-hoofed Eastern Thoroughbred, if that's what you're thinking." Riley remarked acidly, watching Jackson with a dull-but-agitated look, "He'll never pick up his feet until his knees hit his chin to pull a carraige for you. Sorry for the dissapointment, there."
2/28/2010 #316
writingbythepower
"No disappointment. Don't believe I've ever sat in a carriage, let alone had a horse that could do that." He looked over to Little Sorrel, smiled. "Little Sorrel's intelligent enough and strong enough to get me where I want to go. Imagine if I didn't have him, I would be walking everywhere." He laughed, smiling at the horse again. It was never a comfortable ride, he was much too tall for that. However, Little Sorrel was still his beloved horse and a companion on the battlefield.
2/28/2010 #317
SnowClaw of Windclan
"God forbid you dirty your gold-plated spurs, walking. What a terrible thought." Riley rolled his eyes. It wasn't too much of a trouble for the hundreds, thousands he marched to the cutting line every time two lofty politicians disagreed. Disgusting.
2/28/2010 #318
writingbythepower
It seemed that everything that Jackson said, so matter how simple, Riley would find some way to twist it to fit his own stereotype. Jackson sighed, not willing to try and confront the man. It was no use, everytime Jackson would say something, Riley would insult him. It doesn't matter who you are or where you're from, Jackson thought, everyone is taught to have a polite conversation. Ignoring Riley, Jackson turned to Shannon and said, "How long do you think Wesley's fever will last?"
2/28/2010 #319
SnowClaw of Windclan
"It seems to be going down, if not slowly," Shannon remarked, thinking for a moment, "His infection's draining, it was more of a fluke than anything else. Liquor can't get deep enough inside of him to clean all of the wound--I assume it's about five to seven inches thick. He was very fortunate that it didn't nick the intestine, the appendix, the lower part of the stomach--he's beyond a fortunate man, at this point. If the arrow had so much as scraped, as touched anything, he probably would've been killed," the man went on to note. He also noted that Riley was listening with interest, although that was one thing that he didn't bring up.
2/28/2010 #320
writingbythepower
Jackson nodded, listening carefully. "Well, that is very good. I'm glad that God has blessed him. I've seen too many good men die because of wounds like that, and I am glad to hear that there will not be one more. Thank, sir. You've done very, very well." Nodding, he looked away for a moment. He wasn't an emotional man, but he felt very close to Wesley now. It was good to know that the man who he had help care for would survive.
2/28/2010 #321
SnowClaw of Windclan
Shannon smiled slightly. "You don't have to thank me. He's one of our own." The bond of rangers was something different, he reflected, bound tighter than the threads on a cotton shirt. Nobody would be left, as long as the horses had legs and even then he didn't doubt that his comrades would go on foot to California and back to help one of their own.
2/28/2010 #322
writingbythepower
"Yes, I understand. Still..." He didn't know how to end the sentence, just let that word hanging. Thinking of that phrase, he thought of the bond between soldiers. It was different, much like the rangers, where being a soldier meant that you were a brother, a comrade in arms. If only the world were like that, Jackson thought, if only by merely being human we were all brothers.
2/28/2010 #323
SnowClaw of Windclan
Shannon nodded in understanding. Riley hung to one side, watching the horse when the conversation about his freind had ceased. Shannon knocked on the door, was told that he could come in. As the doctor--or closest thing to--entered, Wesley was clothed; wringing the last bits of water out of his ebony colored hair. He smiled vaguely, at least I'm clean...
2/28/2010 #324
writingbythepower
After knocking himself, Jackson walked in and smiled. "How do you feel, Wesley?" He was glad Wesley had been given the opportunity to clean himself, to feel like he had control. It wasn't right for a man to feel so helpless, like there was nothing he could do. That was pain and suffering in itself.
2/28/2010 #325
SnowClaw of Windclan
He smiled vaguely as he laid back again, closing his eyes. "Clean." Although the soap--made with cactus and milk--stung, at least he had been in control of his own body for what felt like the first time. It was good at the very least not to have to live with a reminding scent of the fact that you were constantly humiliating yourself in front of others because you couldn't get up.
2/28/2010 #326
writingbythepower
"I'm glad. I told you that you'd be up and doing things soon, didn't I?" Jackson gave a grin, glad to see that Wesley was at least somewhat getting back to his own life. It was important that he try, that he not give up. Jackson had seen many men give up on life, and because of that they would allow themselves to die.
2/28/2010 #327
SnowClaw of Windclan
Wesley nodded quietly. "I suppose, yes..." Although he was wet, he wasn't cold; he had dried off. Mostly, he was still enjoying the fact that he was no longer filthy. He smiled thinly, but didn't open his eyes, tired again. It took quite a bit of energy out of him, even if he was only laying still, sick.
2/28/2010 #328
writingbythepower
"Well, I hope that you get plenty of rest now. The sooner you get rest, the quicker you can get better." Smiling, he turned to Shannon and said in a whisper, "How long do you think he'll be ill?"
2/28/2010 #329
SnowClaw of Windclan
Shannon shrugged. "There's really no way of telling...perhaps a week, considering the way that he's recovering?" Wesley stirred in his newfound sleep, murmuring quietly to himself and burrowing deeper into the covers, warm and safe in his dreams, if not in reality.
2/28/2010 #330
« Prev Page 1 .. 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: SnowClaw of Windclan writingbythepower
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member