A Foreign World
November, 1862. A last battle is held in Lexington, Kentucky, cornering the Union army against the Appalachian Mountains. A surrender is filed and the Civil War ends. Now it is the middle of the month, and reconstruction has begun...
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
SnowClaw of Windclan

SENATE RULES

Each player is limited to one character in Senate.

The following are how things work. Please write this out, in full, when your character does something.

To ask a question:

Senator remains seated.

-Raises sign.

-PT: Mr._____ (introducer of bill), do you or do you not wish to yield to questions?

-Introducer: Yes/no.

-Question is asked.

To move a bill to voting:

-PT: All in favor of moving the bill, say aye.

-Vote.

-PT: All opposed, say nay.

-Vote.

-Objection may be yelled. If so the yeller goes to the Well, explains, and a vote is reheld.

To make a statement:

-Raises sign.

-PT: Mr.____, do you wish to speak for or against this bill?

-Senator: I wish to speak for/against this bill.

-PT: That is your privelege.

-Explanation at Well.

1/25/2010 . Edited 1/28/2010 #1
SnowClaw of Windclan

Senate Seats, Taken

Pro Tempore: Reserved

Georgia: Ulysses Merle Flynn (Snow)

Tennessee: Victor Cromwell (Power)

Virginia: James Bailey (Star)

Mississippi: Jeremiah E. Flanchard (Grappel)

1/26/2010 . Edited 1/28/2010 #2
SnowClaw of Windclan

Seat 5 Senator Ulysses Merle Flynn sat down in the wooden chair amongst the three rows of seats, watching as the senators entered the room. The session would not begin for another forty five minutes at least as the papers were prepared; over a thousand would be suggested over the year. The young man looked over the bills that they had been working on recently, namely tax changes. These will be voted on today, probably. He set a hand on the desk, setting the papers back down. Ulysses said a good morning to the senators as they passed him, knowing that now he needed to wait.

1/26/2010 . Edited 1/26/2010 #3
writingbythepower

Seat 9 Senator Victor Cromwell was silent for the most part, a rarity. Usually he would have found himself up and about, laughing at something. Today, however, he was serious. He looked at the proposal before him, sneered under his breath. Young men thinking they can say what they want, old wind-bag generals thinking they can run a country. Cromwell felt no personal disdain for President Lee, merely a general disdain for all those above him in the political scale. He looked around the room, nodded as the senators passed by. He wondered how many of them were actually worthy of these seats, if any of them were. I am, he thought, And that's all that matters.

1/26/2010 . Edited 1/26/2010 #4
SnowClaw of Windclan

"Good morning." Ulysses stated, pushing his narrow, rectangular glasses up on the bridge of his nose. He did this with his index, middle, and ring finger, a habit of his when he was in thought. He was not too interested in the doings of the other man, or any of the senators in the room; he was aloof and independent in raw nature.

1/26/2010 . Edited 1/26/2010 #5
writingbythepower

"Hmm...." Cromwell mumbled. He wasn't interested in anything but the words in front of him at the moment, read them all letter-by-letter. It was all about the taxes, all about money. Taking the people's money to fill my pockets. He gave a slight smile in the corner of his mouth, thinking. It wasn't entirely true, the taxes went to other things. But, in turn, some percent would end up in his pocket legally or not.

1/26/2010 #6
SnowClaw of Windclan

Ulysses, noting that Cromwell was no more interested in socializing than he was, opened The Merchant of Venice to the page where he had left off. A pound of flesh from his heart...Moving his glasses up on the bridge of his nose again, he sank into the chair, although still sitting up, absorbed in the literature for the time being.

1/26/2010 #7
Star the Foxhound

Seat 4 Senator James Bailey made his way into the room, walking in his usual slow step. He took his seat, and stared towards the front of the room, allowing his mind to slip away into the realms of his thoughts once more. If he didn't have to be in session, he still would have been writing the book he'd been working on for a few months. And so he allowed himself to at least think about it as he waited.

1/26/2010 #8
writingbythepower

Cromwell looked up from his notes at the young Senator, sneered. Weak man, inside and out. The Virginian senator was so pale and looked so weak, Victor wondered how he ever elected. It has to be because he's a veteran. Don't understand it, anyone can get shot. Victor shook his head and began to read again.

1/26/2010 #9
SnowClaw of Windclan

"James." Aware that he was moving the 4th seat out of his thoughts with the greeting, Ulysses closed his book for a moment, holding his place with his index finger. Sometimes the man, intelligent as he was, liked to think on what it was that made Bailey tick. It was a concept. The Pro Tempore brought down the gavel, bringing the senators' attention to the front, and spoke. "This meeting has now begun, and will be resumed where it left off. All in favor of moving the vote, raise your hand and say Aye."

He looked around as the clerk wrote down the figures. "The bill has been moved. Are there objections?" After a moment of silence: "All in favor, say aye." The bill was passed; a few held out. "Would Mr. Cromwell please begin at the Well?"

1/26/2010 #10
writingbythepower

Victor adjusted his suit and walked over to the Well. He looked around the small area where the senators sat. "My fellow senators, I believe that we can all begin today with another cheer for our men who fought. Through their efforts, we are free from Northern tyranny. I am pleased to stand here before several senators who have fought bravely for our nation, and thank them for their service." He looked over to Bailey, sneered again in his head. He could care less, it was all a stunt. But an effective one.

"Now, on to business. The taxes that have been presented today are unreasonable at best, gentlemen. Can we honestly stand here and claim that these taxes are any better then what the North imposed on us before the war? We did not handle tyranny such as this before, and I stand by that we will not do it again!" He saw several nods, heard several men agree, and stopped for a moment to think.

1/26/2010 . Edited 1/26/2010 #11
Star the Foxhound

Bailey watched him thoughtfully as he spoke, listening carefully. He didn't say anything, and the expression on his face didn't change. It was something that he was rather good at, for the most part hiding his pain and emotions. He agreed with what Cromwell said to a point but thought about it. They needed to have some form of government and they needed to have taxes in order to support the government. It wasn't really fair to call any acts of government the same as what the North had done, so long as the acts were necessary.

1/26/2010 #12
writingbythepower

Cromwell continued. "President Lee was a great leader of our men, true. However, as the head of our nation he has yet to prove himself. These bills," he said as he raised the papers up, "Are a disgrace to what the principles that the founders Washington and Jefferson fought for and that those brave men fought for. I understand that taxes must be raised, but on a nationwide level it cannot be done fairly. I not only propose but support of the elimination of national taxes, therefore leaving state taxes. Then, and only then, can a portion of the state taxes be placed into a federal deposit that will be controlled by this Senate. Presidential and Federal powers were what we fought against, and only by having the states strong can be protect what we have fought for in our TWO wars of independence!!"

1/26/2010 #13
SnowClaw of Windclan

Ulysses felt his blood quicken and warm through his veins at this but he held back, calmly raising his seat number and waiting for the Pro Tempore to call on him. "Does the speaker wish to speak for or against this bill?"

Senator Flynn answered with a confident tone. "I wish to speak against this bill."

"That is your privelege."

Ulysses stood, striding towards the Well and clearing his throat; he kept in mind the two minute limit. "Taxes are vital to our society, especially in this time of need. We are rebuilding damaged roads and helping families that have been hurt by the war. We cannot do that without every cent that we can collect. It is different from being taxed by the United States as the Confederate States know what we need."

1/26/2010 #14
writingbythepower

Victor's own blood began to boil. If not for his small patience, he may very well have screamed back. But he kept quiet, gently nodded as the man spoke. Idiot, doesn't know what's he talking about. Taxes are taxes, whether this nation or that one. We learned that in the First Revolution, and now in the Second.

1/26/2010 #15
Star the Foxhound

As the other Senator started talking, Bailey thought about his own views on the taxes. Of course they needed taxes, and if the taxes went to the good of the people, then he didn't see too much of a problem with them, so long as the government was getting the nation back on it's feet. He thought that while they shouldn't tax the citizens too much, that if their was a benefit to the taxes, then they should. By having taxes, it wasn't like they would be taking rights from the states.

1/26/2010 #16
SnowClaw of Windclan

"Mister Speaker, that is all." Ulysses said, leaving the Well and sitting down next to Bailey again. He pushed his glasses up with three fingers, watching Victor with an intelligent, skeptical expression. It was not a personal disdain, but the natural competitive nature of all humans that was moving through his veins, his mind. Strongly opinionated but blessed with strong self control, he was in some ways ideal for his job.

1/26/2010 #17
writingbythepower

Cromwell motioned toward the Pro Tempore, began to speak again. "Now, I respect the young Senator from Georgia's right to speak against my proposed plan. Yet we must remember, Mr. Flynn, that it was the British who said the same thing about their taxes. And the Yankees after them. How many wars are we going to have to fight before we realize that taxes are the main issue. Because, out of taxes defines my state's other rights. I'm sure that you would not wish some Virginian banker to decide your family's fate, because he doesn't understand. I know that taxes are necessary, I am completely able to see that. But Federal taxes are not. Let the Federal government have as little to do with state matters as possible, as our founders intended."

1/26/2010 . Edited 1/26/2010 #18
SnowClaw of Windclan

The young senator from Georgia. He is trying to make me appear less experienced, make my words have less weight. The thoughts were processed within a few seconds and he raised his number, waiting. After one senator spoke for the bill the Pro Tempore turned to him. "Seat Five, do you wish to speak for the bill or against the bill?"

"I wish to speak against the bill."

"That is your privelege." Senator Flynn was reminded of why he enjoyed the job; saw the others waiting for what he would say. The Tennessee representative had indirectly insulted him within his first sentence, and he wished to speak out again. Rising to the Well, he cleared his throat, pushing up his glasses. "There must be some level of regulation within the government. Would President Lee not veto the previous tax raise bills if that was, indeed, what he had intended?"

1/26/2010 #19
writingbythepower

Victor almost stood, wanted to yell back at the senator. But he kept down again, didn't want to turn this into something that would bad on him. He nodded slightly, acting as if he was conceding his ideas. Fool doesn't understand what he's getting into. I'll have him going back to that chair with his tail between his legs.

1/26/2010 #20
Star the Foxhound

For a moment, Bailey debated his thought, but then he raised his number and waited to be called upon. Standing up, he fixed his gaze on Cromwell. "Mr. Cromwell, you said that there is no need for Federal taxes. But how are we supposed to gain the currency necessary to carry out our government duty's without it? By having Federal taxes, we are not taking away rights from the states, we are making sure we have the ability to function properly."

1/26/2010 . Edited 1/26/2010 #21
writingbythepower

Victor broke his pencil as he stared into Bailey's eyes. I'm going to kill that man. He's not supposed to talk, he's supposed to be the goodly senator who's there because he got wounded. If he wants to come at me, then I'll bring him everything I've got. Victor waited as patiently as he could before raising his own number and then striding to the Well. "Mr. Bailey has made a point, and I concede that. He is not a politican, has fought for our nation proudly and I am proud to sit with him here. He does not have the experience that comes with the position, and that in turn is why he says what he has said. Well, I concede Mr. Bailey, I had not thought on the issue of currency. That discussion would be determined in the details of the bill, but for the moment I have nothing to confirm to it. As for the young man from Georgia, I believe sir that the President would listen to the voices of the people. He knows well that the voices of this Senate represents the people, and if he does not listen to what we here have to say, then maybe the President does not understand the people. A veto to a bill that this Senate whole-heartly supports, which through compromise we can do, is against the very principles of our nation."

1/26/2010 . Edited 1/26/2010 #22
SnowClaw of Windclan

"I would like to set out a general reminder that discussion is to be kept civil and diplmatic at all times." The Pro Tempore watched them intently, his eyes moving to Senator Flynn. Ulysses pushed his glasses up, the light from the room reflecting and making them near opaque; they did not show his eyes for a moment. He raised his number. The Pro Tempore answered.

"Mr. Flynn, do you wish to speak for or against this bill?"

"I wish to speak against this bill."

"That is your privelege." Senator Flynn stood, heading towards the Well. The Georgian looked around, locking eyes with Victor. "Mr. Cromwell, I would like to ask why you did not serve in the war? Certainly it was not because you couldn't sacrifice missing time in the senate, as several," he made a gesture, "Of our senators have served in the war." Bring him against a wall, expose him.

1/27/2010 #23
writingbythepower

After Flynn finished, Victor raised his number again. The Pro Tempore acknowledged him, giving him the privilege to speak. He was prepared for this statement, held a smile on his face. He walked briskly to the Well as if he was strolling through a park.

"First, I would like to apologize to anyone if I offended them earlier. Emotions run high, and it was not my intent to insult anyone. I love my country, and I fear for it, fear that we may become what we have fought against. I would like to apologize to any man, whether it be Mr. Bailey or Mr. Flynn, if I in any way made them feel uncomfortable by my statements earlier. Now, Mr. Flynn, I feel insulted, and I would like to graciously state my defense. Please do not think for a moment, sir, that I did not wish to fight for my cause. If it were not for the political necessities that were needed not only here in the Senate but also in my home state of Tennessee, I would have served another way. I did my best to support our cause, sir, giving money and supplies as best I could. My age and lack of military experience could not allow me to do well in service, therefore I sought to do what I do best, serving my country by serving the men of Tennessee in this Senate. Those boys who were fighting needed resources that were supplied by this Senate, and I did my upmost to give it to them. I recognize your own and Mr. Bailey's combat experience and I praise that, but, sir, do not put my reputation and patriotism in dispute."

1/27/2010 #24
Star the Foxhound

Listening to the debate, Bailey looked from Flynn to Cromwell. He didn't have anything else important to say and so figured that he wouldn't speak again until he felt that the time was apporiate. He also didn't think they should be talking about the war and who had fought in it, that time was over for them. And then he decided at the last minute to raise his number and wait to be called on.

Standing up again, he spoke. "While whether or not to serve in the war was an important decision for all of us to make, it doesn't effect our skill in doing our job. We are all Senators and it is our duty to do this job right now."

1/27/2010 #25
writingbythepower

Cromwell nodded at his seat, smiled. Bailey have some use to me after all, he thought, If the man can see that I'm only defending myself. Make Flynn the enemy, make him think I'm the one in the corner. I'll talk to him later, see how naive he really is.

1/27/2010 #26
SnowClaw of Windclan

Senator Flynn watched them both for a moment. The Pro Tempore brough down the gavel. "The question has been moved. It has nothing to do with the bill. Senator, you may be seated." Ulysses walked around the side of the room, pushing up his glasses as he walked, as it wasn't appropriate to walk between the two arrangements of seats, and returned to his own place next to the fourth seat, Bailey. Best to have the votes held. Raising his number, he waited to be called on.

"Mr. Flynn?"

"I would like to make a motion that the question be moved."

"All in favor of moving the question*, raise your hand and say I."

*To vote on the actual bill. This ends all discussion.

1/27/2010 #27
Star the Foxhound

"I." Bailey could see no point in discussing the matter anymore and so raised his hand.

1/27/2010 #28
writingbythepower

No! I don't have the support yet. Enough of them will vote "I" now, will want to vote. If it dies now, can I bring it back? Hmm.... I'll accept this defeat for now.

Cromwell raised his hand, said, "I."

1/27/2010 #29
SnowClaw of Windclan

"I." Several other senators, including Ulysses, raised their hands. Then again, he had been the one that had called for the movement. Looking around, he noted that Victor had voted I as well, probably to prevent further questioning. The clerk wrote down the numbers and showed them to the Pro Tempore, who brought down the gavel. "The I's have it. This bill has been moved to voting. All in favor of the passing of this bill, say I and raise your hand until you have been counted."

Flynn did not raise his hand.

1/27/2010 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: SnowClaw of Windclan writingbythepower
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member