A Foreign World
November, 1862. A last battle is held in Lexington, Kentucky, cornering the Union army against the Appalachian Mountains. A surrender is filed and the Civil War ends. Now it is the middle of the month, and reconstruction has begun...
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 3 4 5 6 7 8 .. Last Next »
Star the Foxhound

((From Richmond))

When Bailey finally made it to the Senate, he was even paler then he usually was, and his hair was rumbled from his fall, dirt that he had failed to brush off on his suit. He made his way to his seat and sank down in it in exhaustion, propping his head up with one hand as he tried to think through the pain in his chest which was making him very uneasy.

2/4/2010 #151
SnowClaw of Windclan

Flynn looked towards him, noticing his harrowed state. The man's hair was ruffled and there was dirt on his suit; he was as pale as a sheet. Ulysses pushed up his glasses, watching him as he spoke. "Senator, I was wondering where you were. What happened?" He was vaguely interested in this, as he was friendly towards Bailey. He could relate to the man.

2/4/2010 #152
Star the Foxhound

"I didn't watch my footing coming here." Bailey hoped that he wouldn't be questioned too much about it, although he knew that if most people fell, they wouldn't have blacked out. He avoided the man's gaze for a moment and closed his eyes. Please have it stop hurting soon. I need to be able to think clearly.

2/4/2010 #153
SnowClaw of Windclan

Senator Flynn didn't question him further, and nodded, pushing up his glasses in his three fingered way. "We will be having the bills from the House sent to us today, and vice versa." It would be interesting to see how things would fare in the House, as two subcultures had developed between the two branches of the Confederacy's bicameral legislature, not to mention that the political views were not exactly the same as they were here due to the population based numbers of seats.

2/4/2010 #154
Star the Foxhound

Bailey nodded, rubbing his forehead for a moment. "Alright, thank you Mr. Flynn. What happened here this morning?"

2/4/2010 #155
SnowClaw of Windclan

Flynn went through a brief recollection of his bill, explaining the points and listing those that had voted for it, as well as those that had voted against it. He was pleased with the result, as he had expected it to pass and it had done just that. However, there would be some time before it went through the House, as they tended to take a while to make major descisions. "Other than that, nothing has happened."

2/4/2010 #156
Star the Foxhound

"Thank you." Bailey stood up then. "I think that I'd better make myself look presentable."

He smiled faintly, although it was a forced smile and slipped outside where he carefully brushed the dirt from his suit and ran a hand through his black hair, trying to flatten it back down the way it had been before the fall.

When he returned to the Senate chamber, he still felt like a mess and his chest still hurt, which continued to worry him, but at least he felt a bit more presentable. He leaned back in his chair and closed his eyes for a moment, still extremely pale.

2/4/2010 #157
SnowClaw of Windclan

When he returned, Ulysses observed him carefully. "You should see a physician. You do not look well at all, Senator," he stated, pushing up his glasses. The slightest bit of concern was evident on his normally expressionless face. Although he made friendships slowly, his allegiance meant loyalty to the death, and he valued loyalty above all other traits.

2/4/2010 #158
Star the Foxhound

Opening his eyes and glancing in the other man's direction, Bailey wasn't sure how to answer. "I'm sure it'll pass..." He said softly, glancing down for a moment. He hated feeling like this, didn't want everyone to think that he was weak. After all, he tried his hardest to do the best he could, but his life was never going to be the same as it had before the war.

2/4/2010 #159
SnowClaw of Windclan

"Is your wound bothering you, Senator?" He had started to use the man's first name when he adressed him, but the two were not yet that close. He did not often refer to people that he knew, besides close friends and family, by their first names. His hands in his lap, his black brows furrowed ever so slightly as he waited for a response.

2/4/2010 #160
Star the Foxhound

Bailey hesitated for a moment, then nodded, not meeting Flynn's eyes or saying anything. He didn't really like mention of his wound, wished that he could put it all past him but knowing how unlikely that was. You're lucky to even be alive.

2/4/2010 #161
SnowClaw of Windclan

Ulysses dropped the topic at that, as he was suddenly uncomfortable with the emotional proximity of the situation at hand. Senator Flynn was an aloof, independent man, doing things himself and making friends very sparsely. He neither needed nor craved human companionship, but allowed it from time to time, as he did not hate it, either. He did not find himself incredibly attracted to either gender, was not a romantic.

2/5/2010 #162
Grappel

Jeremiah huffed slightly as he sat down in his seat, the familiar smells of the Senate house comforting him. Once all of his things were put into place, he realized he must be quite early. He looked around the other seats, seeing only a few other people. The other two senators he recognized immediately, Bailey whining away and Flynn, who seemed to be ignoring him. Flanchard sighed and chewed on the inside of his lip, thinking. He honestly pitied Bailey, and wanted to help him, but a man has pride. He sighed and decided that he would only help him if he were to ask.

2/6/2010 #163
Star the Foxhound

Since no one spoke to him, Bailey just drifted off into his own thoughts. His wound continued to bother him, but he did his best to ignore it, instead thinking back to the story that had been the reason for his rush in the first place.

2/6/2010 #164
writingbythepower

((From Richmond))

Victor walked into the Senate building, had come back from the bank. He had moved money into the account, fifteen hundred dollars. He wasn't happy about it, but didn't seem to care as he walked. He was worried about the current issues, wondered what would happen today in the Senate. For the first time in a long time, he was worried.

2/6/2010 #165
Star the Foxhound

Bailey glanced at him as the other man came in and gave him a small nod, although he still didn't say anything.

2/6/2010 #166
writingbythepower

Cromwell didn't notice Bailey, actually bumped into his chair as Victor began to pace. He couldn't think, was actually rather nervous. It was a odd feeling, made him very uncomfortable.

2/6/2010 #167
Star the Foxhound

Watching Cromwell pace after bumping into his chair, Bailey raised an eyebrow, and stood up, still doing his best to ignore the pain in his chest that seemed to refuse to go away. "What are you doing Senator?"

2/6/2010 #168
writingbythepower

He looked up at Bailey, almost yelled at the man. He was emotional, didn't like it. Instead, he smiled at the man. "Nothing, Senator, nothing. Simply thinking. And how are you today, sir? I do not believe I saw you earlier today."

2/6/2010 #169
Star the Foxhound

"No, you didn't." Bailey said, his voice soft as he looked away for a moment. "I... ran into some difficulties earlier and just got here a little while ago."

2/6/2010 #170
writingbythepower

He looked at him for a moment, though. "I'm sorry to hear that, sir. What kind of difficulties would that be? I hope that you are not in any harm?" He didn't care, only wish to learn something about the man that he didn't already know. A secret that may be useful later, perhaps.

2/6/2010 #171
Star the Foxhound

Bailey wasn't sure how to answer that, smiled tightly even though he was still in pain and paler then usual. "I am alright Senator, thank you for asking though."

He avoided the question of what kind of difficulties he had run into.

2/6/2010 #172
SnowClaw of Windclan

The Pro Tempore brought down the gavel, ending all of the different conversations in the room. Ulysses watched him as the clerk passed out the new bill books, these ones containing the bills from the House. There were more, about twice as many as the Senators in the room had passed and sent to the House of Representatives. "This session is now in order again. Would the clerk please read the first bill?"

"To provide the disabled with a mandatory home in every town."

"The floor is now open for debate."

2/7/2010 #173
Grappel

Jeremiah sat up straight when he heard the gavel strike the desk. He washed out all other thoughts, it was time for business. After hearing the purpose of the bill, immediately he decided it was a good idea, but reminded himself to wait until all details were given.

2/7/2010 #174
SnowClaw of Windclan

Flynn pushed up his glasses, listening wordlessly. It could work, but there was nothing that would ensure the quality. Bed sores could be just as bad in a young man being treated poorly, and some would take advantage of the helpless in horrid ways. There would need to be amendments.

"All wishing to speak for or against this bill, please report to the well."

2/7/2010 #175
writingbythepower

Victor sat there, thinking. The bill was simply, none of his concern. He was thinking about Bella, what to do with that situation. Then he was thinking about Flynn, and then Bailey. He sat there, felt a headache. It was frustrating, difficult. Everything was very difficult for him right now, and it wasn't any easier sitting here.

2/8/2010 #176
SnowClaw of Windclan

Flynn approached the well, noting in the back of his mind that Victor had been silent. It was strange, and making him slightly suspicious. However, he only cared minimally for the matters of other people, and, although he noticed Victor's unhappy expression, combined with the pacing, he did not care about what was going on in his mind or even his emotions. They did not concern him and thus were of no importance at the moment.

"Mr. Flynn, do you wish to speak for or against this bill?"

"I wish to speak against this bill."

"That is your privilege."

Ulysses began to speak, his tone slightly cold as he sank into the technical matters. "Amendments must be made to provide this bill with more stability. In the end, there is nothing to guarantee that these homes that have been proposed will be adequate, or even that they will provide decent care. That is all." He was seated again, waiting.

2/8/2010 #177
writingbythepower

Victor sat there, silently listening. He noted that Flynn had several good points, actually made sense. Well, he can't be wrong all the time, now can he? He nodded slightly as Flynn spoke. After he left, he stood and walked over to the well himself.

"I agree with Senator Flynn," he said, hunched over and not looking at anyone, "That this matter must be taken into severe consideration. The people who are to enjoy these benefits are to be carefully considered, so that no one abuses the help of the government. And furthermore, we must be sure that those who do need this are well taken care of. Money given by the government must be used carefully and with true purpose."

2/8/2010 #178
SnowClaw of Windclan

Ulysses hadn't expected for him to take his side. More than likely, he was going to attempt to get something out of this, in the long run. He pushed up his glasses, wordless. The man tended to be bold in his statements; his hunched over posture and averted eye contact were out of character for him. Guilt over the other night, probably. Nasty man. Ulysses abandoned his thoughts at that. Honestly, he only cared very mildly, if at all. He watched Victor for a moment with a calculating expression, pushing up his glasses.

2/8/2010 #179
writingbythepower

"Government spending is one of the most important things we can control, and I would simply request that before such a bill is passed it be revised." He nodded simply, returned to his seat. Victor put his hands on his face, rubbing his temple. His head was aching, everything seemed to feel weak. He leaned back, rested his head on his hand. The body wasn't prepared for this amount of stress, but he managed as best he could.

2/10/2010 #180
« Prev Page 1 .. 3 4 5 6 7 8 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: SnowClaw of Windclan writingbythepower
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member