A Foreign World
November, 1862. A last battle is held in Lexington, Kentucky, cornering the Union army against the Appalachian Mountains. A surrender is filed and the Civil War ends. Now it is the middle of the month, and reconstruction has begun...
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 .. Last Next »
SnowClaw of Windclan

New York is rapidly growing, and becoming bustling.

1/25/2010 #1
writingbythepower
Dan Sickles, infamous general of the Union army and even more infamous politician of New York, strolled down the streets of New York City, whistling to himself. Truly, he had nothing to whistle for, the war he had fought lost and his power in the military gone. However, it seemed somewhat that an energy filled him and made him whistle, as if that would give him the satisfaction of defeating the Confederates.
3/12/2010 #2
SnowClaw of Windclan
Willie Ford strode down the street confidently, waving at a few people that he knew and smiling at them. "Good morning!" he called, smiling towards one of the ones outside of a small theatre. They smiled, waving back at him. The Navy man was clad in his uniform, his arms moving back and forth slightly as he greeted the people. He saw a man whistling and recognized him as General Dan Sickles. "Good morning to you, General Sickles."
3/12/2010 #3
writingbythepower
Dan looked over at the young man, gave a soft smile. "Good morning, sir." Looking over the young man, he noticed that he was a navy man, obvious full of energy. It was common to see soldiers walk by, even more common to be noticed by them. He enjoyed that, being noticed and recognized. It gave his ego yet another thing to enjoy.
3/12/2010 #4
SnowClaw of Windclan
Willie smiled at him, stopping and saluting. His mouth was a white crescent on his face, contrasting with his flushed cheeks and seeming to make him the poster child that the propaganda loved to employ, these days. "It is good to see you this morning, sir. Might I ask what you're doing today?" He was, indeed, filled with energy for his occupation and for life.
3/12/2010 #5
writingbythepower
"Oh, enjoying a little walk down the streets of New York, nothing more, nothing less." It could be considered rude that he didn't ask how the young soldier was doing, but he cared little for other people's personal issues. He was actually debating whether he should visit Representative Tweed's office today, pay the man a visit.
3/12/2010 #6
SnowClaw of Windclan
Willie was still smiling. "It's a simply wonderful day for a walk around the city." He took a deep breath of the air, enjoying its cool scent. There was snow on the ground, but there wasn't any falling, and people were walking around the city, talking to each other and making little gestures, some bigger than others.
3/12/2010 #7
writingbythepower
"Um..." Sickles said, beginning to lose interest in the conversation. It was his nature, to be rather rude. He cared little for the opinions or advice or talk of people who didn't matter in his mind. If not for some concern for his own image, he may have walked off. However, he knew his role as a political and military figure, therefore smiled softly at the young officer and pretended to pay attention.
3/12/2010 #8
SnowClaw of Windclan
Willie smiled at him. "Have a good day, sir!" He saluted and continued down the street with obvious energy in his step and face. The cheer in his heart was spread to his face, and he held the expression of the newly graduated cadets at midshipmen school. Not by being bright eyed, but by being thrilled with life, living every minute of it.
3/12/2010 #9
writingbythepower
Sickles saluted as well, continued walking. Moving through the streets of New York, he took notice of everything that the rather rich enjoyed. Some, such as those who lived in the Five Points, walk down this road and stare at the houses, wishing they could have the money to have these luxuries. Sickles laughed at the thought, thinking of how corrupt and sad the lives of the rich tended to be. No one is happy, he thought, with what they have.
3/12/2010 #10
SnowClaw of Windclan
Willie found himself humming as he strode down the streets, taking in everything around him with a certain happiness as he made his way forth to no place in particular, although he walked as if he had somewhere to go. "Good morning, ma'am!" He smiled a woman that he passed and she waved back at him, as a lot of other people had. "Good morning, Mister."
3/12/2010 #11
writingbythepower
Fred O'Rourke walked down the streets of New York, his mind running. The world always seemed a rather evil place, but today it seemed alright for some reason. If he was actually thinking about it, Fred might have smiled. Instead, he concentrated on the nice brick roads that the rich walked on as he thought of what he would say when he asked for yet another job. He didn't hear the other man's greeting, simply walked into him. "Oh... sorry."
3/12/2010 #12
SnowClaw of Windclan
Willie smiled, showing a crescent of white teeth. "It's perfectly alright. Good morning, sir! How are you doing this fine day?" His eyes had an enthusiastic look to them and his eyebrows even seemed to be moved slightly in cheer. He didn't need a real reason to be energetic, happy; it seemed to come naturally to him.
3/12/2010 #13
writingbythepower
"Can't be much better then you, it seems," Fred said, his accent coming out. His voice carried an Irish accent, very distinctive. One of the reason he prefered not to talk often was because of the discrimination that he was given for being Irish, but this other man didn't seem to have any reason to pick a fight with him. "Imagine you're feeling right nice, aren't ya?"
3/12/2010 #14
SnowClaw of Windclan
"I'm having quite a good day. I hope that you are as well." Willie said, "I returned from being deployed a few days ago and I'm enjoying my time on the land." He didn't mind being overseas at all, and it didn't bother him. He was happy because it was a chance to see the other people that he knew and exchange stories and greetings.
3/12/2010 #15
writingbythepower
"Deployed? As in the service? You got caught up in that? Poor soul. You ever seen any of the fighting?" He had known a few men who had gone off to war, some of them getting off the boats from Ireland and not even reaching the streets before they were wearing a blue uniform. Good deal of his friends were buried in Maryland or Virginia or someplace like that, never to be seen or cared for again.
3/12/2010 #16
SnowClaw of Windclan
"I enjoy the Navy, actually, sir." Willie smiled at him as he said, "I never saw any of the real fighting, no. My ship was defensive." A lot of people thought that he had been unfortunate to be in the military, but he was dedicated to the Navy, was very pleased with being on ships and being an officer. He enjoyed it very thoroughly.
3/12/2010 #17
writingbythepower
Fred had never cared for any form of the military, mostly saw them as a nuisance. "Well, can't say I care for any of that. Say, where you staying at? How long you in town?" It wasn't often that he made friends, although he didn't really consider this stranger a friend. However, he would enjoy a little company as he walked back to the Five Points.
3/12/2010 #18
SnowClaw of Windclan
"I'm staying for a little while, perhaps a month or two months, maybe even three." Willie continued and said, "I'm staying towards the middle of the city." Smiling, he made a gesture to the left, towards where the home that he was renting was located. He'd stayed in fairly bad quarters compared to the home, so he didn't mind it.
3/12/2010 #19
writingbythepower
"Oh, you can do better then that. Walk with me, I'll show you where I live." He wasn't trying to make the other man feel sorry for him, or even to be disgusted or disturbed by the activities of the Five Points. Actually, he seemed to be able to talk to the man and decided to continue. "The name's Fred O'Rourke."
3/12/2010 #20
SnowClaw of Windclan
"Alright, Fred. I'm Willie Ford." Willie smiled at him, extending a slightly tan hand for him to shake. When Fred took it his handshake was energetic, firm, enthusiastic. There was a certain zest in everything he did, making him sometimes appear like the men used for propaganda posters not only in the way that he looked but in his actions themselves.
3/13/2010 #21
writingbythepower
He sighed as a response to the name, kept walking. Moving swiftly from one street to another, he turned to Willie. "Where ya from? Sounds like Brooklyn, but that might be just my ears." Usually he could tell accents, especially the many accents of the New York City area.
3/13/2010 . Edited 3/13/2010 #22
SnowClaw of Windclan
A white crescent grin appeared on his face again, showing his laughter lines. "I most certainly am, and yourself?" He laughed, knowing how easy the accent he posessed was to identify. However, the certain coarse aspect was removed and was bright, energetic, it was mainly the vowel shift and slur that he kept the vocal aspects of. His accent had also blended with those of the men of Massachussetts and those on his ship, having been often isolated from the mainland.
3/13/2010 #23
writingbythepower
"Ireland, the old country. Came over in '50, when I was twelve. Spent most of my life in the Five Points. How long you been part of the navy?" It was a simple question, a simple conversation. As they walked, the transfer from the rich housing was beginning to change, the middle class homes appearing. Soon enough they would reach the lower class homes, then eventually the lowest place in the state, his home.
3/13/2010 #24
SnowClaw of Windclan
"I've been a part of it for three years now. I'm an ensign, but I'll be a candidate for promotion in a few days most likely, with my serving during the war." Willie looked around, seeing the slums towards the end of his vision. He could already smell them, and although he tried not to move into negative areas of thought, they were far from good housing. There were clotheslines with filthy, old clothes that were really no more than rags strung arcross the towering tenements and trash was strewn on the street. Rats scuttled about in the shadows and a few starving dogs growled at him, their eyes gleaming yellow in the darkness.
3/13/2010 #25
writingbythepower
Fred's eyes followed Willie's, gave a small smirk. "You've never been to the Points, I imagine. Tough neck of the woods, I tell ya. Can't go long without seeing some stuff." He kept walking, keeping in his eyes in front. "You ever kill a man?"
3/13/2010 #26
SnowClaw of Windclan
Willie shrugged. "I don't tend to visit places like this, it depresses me." He kept the same pace, running a hand down his smiling propaganda-boy hairstyle, before bringing it back to his side. At the second question, he shook his head. "I've never killed anybody, although I could have if my ship was sent off. It was a matter of luck, I think."
3/13/2010 #27
writingbythepower
"Ain't luck on these streets. Just a matter of time." As he said that, a pair of teenage boys popped out of an alley, pretending to shoot at each other with wooden pistols. Fred shook his head, knowing full that in sometime they may be trying to kill each other with real pistols. The noise had startled him slightly, making him reach for his knife. Gently, he put it back in its place and continued.
3/13/2010 #28
SnowClaw of Windclan
"Do you have a job?" He asked, continuing in his upbeat step even if it seemed quite out of place in the environment. He tried not to think about it. Perhaps Fred would be able to find a carreer in the military, like so many others would do. "If not, you could always join the Navy. Perhaps we'd even deploy together. They'll give you food and water, clean clothes and a place to stay."
3/13/2010 #29
writingbythepower
He smirked, looked at the other man. "No thanks, they're enough Irish boys dying for your country. I've lived in the Points all my life, never thought about leaving. As for work, I'm a blacksmith, when there's work. Been slow lately, mostly just trying to get by." In reality, a good deal of his work now was thieving, spying, any of the other odd jobs he could do for one of the many gangs in the area. It was good pay, when they kept their word. He never killed anyone for them, but he had killed his fair share of men. It was the unfortunate truth of living in the Five Points, but he survived.
3/13/2010 #30
Page 1 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: SnowClaw of Windclan writingbythepower
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member