A Foreign World
November, 1862. A last battle is held in Lexington, Kentucky, cornering the Union army against the Appalachian Mountains. A surrender is filed and the Civil War ends. Now it is the middle of the month, and reconstruction has begun...
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
SnowClaw of Windclan

Where the President and Vice President work.

1/25/2010 #1
writingbythepower

Jackson rode up the road toward the White House, stopping slowly in front of the sentries. He saluted and told them of his request to see President Lee. He barely caught himself before saying 'General Lee', but thought nothing of it and walked into the mansion. He moved quickly up the stairs, stopping when he came to the small office of Walter Taylor. He saluted Taylor. "Mr. Taylor, if you would be so kind as to inform the President that I am here."

Taylor nodded and walked over the door which led to the Presidential Office. He knocked and opened it, seeing Lee there. "Mr. President," he began, "General Jackson is here to see you sir."

1/25/2010 #2
SnowClaw of Windclan

Lee smiled at Walter as he got up from the chair where he had been sitting, working on a few papers. "General Jackson. Please, have a seat." President Lee headed back to his own desk, sitting down and leaning forward. He placed his hands on top of the desk and watched him, interested in what he had to say at the present.

1/25/2010 #3
writingbythepower

Jackson entered the room, did not take a seat. He prefered to stand, decided against raising his arm again for his circulation. "General..... Mr. President, I hope that you are doing well today. First I would like to say that I am deeply sorry that I was unable to come earlier. My men needed resuppling, and frankly I wasn't sure that those people up there would end the fighting and....." Jackson stopped, unsure what to say. He wasn't a public speaker, wasn't a good private speaker. He found himself mumbling, dragging conversations on and on. He looked up at Lee, smiling slightly.

1/25/2010 #4
SnowClaw of Windclan

Lee watched Jackson's arm carefully for a moment. "General, if you feel that you need your arm to be raised please, do not hesitate to do so in my presence." When Jackson's statement started to fade like they tended to do, Lee smiled back at him, nodding. "I understand, General. Few of us did think that this was going to be the final battle. It surely did not appear as if it would be. The Good Lord was on our side."

1/25/2010 #5
writingbythepower

Jackson nodded, raised his arm high. "Thank you, sir. Poor circulation, you know." He gave a slight sigh, thinking. "The Good Lord was on our side sir, but I wonder if we act to quickly to assume peace. I have heard that General Burnside still has men prepared, possibly for another invasion toward this very spot. I wished to speak to you on this issue, sir, wondering what your plan of action was."

1/25/2010 #6
SnowClaw of Windclan

Robert nodded, as he understood Jackson's problem. The General had probably hesitated because he had viewed it as innapropriate. After Jackson's latter statement, Lee shook his head after a moment of thought. "No. Even General Burnside won't attack, not after a surrender like that...President Lincoln would not be pleased if he did, and Burnside will halt at the wave of a finger from the men in Washington. Sherman may give us problems, on his disposition alone, although we have men to match his temper in this military." Lee thought for a moment. "More permanent negotiations should be made soon."

1/25/2010 #7
writingbythepower

Jackson nodded. "I agree, sir. I am not certain that the Union soldiers have left all of the lands in the West. I believe that men should be sent there to be sure that the area is secure, and if you would like I will either go or recommend someone, sir."

1/25/2010 #8
SnowClaw of Windclan

Lee thought on this for a moment. True, the Union Forces might not have even heard about the battle yet, although a cease fire order had been sent out. He stroked his beard, the charcoal eyes deepening before he turned back to General Jackson. "General, were you to go West, who is it that you would recommend to be sent with you?" The president watched him, awaiting his answer.

1/25/2010 #9
writingbythepower

Jackson thought for a moment, unsure who to say. He could only think of one name. "Nathan Bedford Forrest, sir. He knows the land, has fought well there. He's proven himself, and I believe that he'll do this job effectively. However, I do not approve of some of his..... methods." Jackson was of course referring to Forrest's treating of any one of color, something that he personally despised but overlooked due to the man's military ability.

1/25/2010 #10
SnowClaw of Windclan

Lee pursed his lips, holding a pen in one hand. He waited for a moment, thinking. "General Jackson, I will keep this in mind. However, I believe that it would be in our better judgement to wait for a while longer to let them clear out. Sending you and General Forrest could create the illusion of a military display and we do not want that." His thoughts moved to the Texan rangers for a moment. They were interesting men.

1/25/2010 #11
writingbythepower

Jackson frowned slightly. He was not a diplomatic person, only a military one. But, he believed strongly in Lee's intelligence. "Certainly sir. I do not wish to get the wrong impression, only to destory any chance of another war. I'd prefer that any Union forces are either defeated or expelled back to their own lines. This nation is not safe yet sir, and I do not believe it will be for some time."

1/25/2010 #12
SnowClaw of Windclan

"General Jackson, you are correct in that statement. However, if we were to attack again, it would easily reinitiate the war. God was on our side the first time, but there is no garuntee that He will be the next time. For now we must rebuild our nation, nothing more, nothing less. They will leave with time, and will fight the natives in the Western Territory, if what I think is correct."

1/25/2010 #13
writingbythepower

He nodded, if only slightly. "Yes sir, I agree. The military has no use for the moment, then." He sighed, trying to his best to make sure Lee didn't hear it. He did not wish to sound emotional, wanted to seem detached from the issue.

1/25/2010 #14
SnowClaw of Windclan

Lee watched him for a moment, understanding his emotions even though they were not directly expressed. "General Jackson, the military will be needed and it will be used. But right now, we need to leave it to the rangers and Lincoln. They will take care of it and any more will be interference." He set both hands on the desk, smiling at Jackson in the way that a father smiles at his son.

1/25/2010 #15
writingbythepower

Jackson sighed again, lowering his arm. The blood had almost left it, and the skin tingled. "Sir, I hope that you will respect my wishes to return to the Virginia Military Academy until such time as I am needed. The life of an officer without war is not one that I have any care to live, and teaching was something that could take up my time." He did not truly wish to go back to the Academy, prefered to be at some form of military combat. But military action wasn't possible at the moment, so he would just teach again.

1/25/2010 #16
SnowClaw of Windclan

Lee was silent for a moment before he nodded. "Very well, General. I understand your dilemma and support whatever action it is that you wish to take." Indeed, it did seem, when one looked back to it, that the military was becoming as toy no longer desired by a small child, collecting dust in the bay of a window.

1/26/2010 #17
writingbythepower

He almost looked up, wanted to decline and wish to stay. He didn't though, could think of nothing else to say. He would go back to VMI, in peace, until he was needed again. "Mr. President, sir, if you have any need of me, ever, I want you to know that you have my full support in any action. I know nothing about politics, but I am willing to give a helping hand in anything that you ask of me."

1/26/2010 #18
SnowClaw of Windclan

Lee smiled at him. "General Jackson, you will be needed at some time and I assure you of that. That time may be soon or it may be far in the distance but you will be needed, and you will be called on. I appreciate your sentiments." He looked up from the papers that both hands rested upon, palm-down, worn from work and time holding Traveller's reins.

1/26/2010 #19
writingbythepower

"Thank you sir, it will always be a privilege to serve under you," he said. He gave a slight cough, unsure what to say now. He looked over to the door, then back to Lee. "Was there anything that you wished to speak to me about, sir?"

1/26/2010 #20
SnowClaw of Windclan

Lee thought. Anything that he could say was beyond obvious, didn't need to be mentioned. "No, General. I appreciate that you came by," he said, turning back to his papers to finish signing a few things. He wrote his name in his own handwriting, similar to Armistead's, but not exactly like it. As the door was closed, he turned to Taylor, gave a brief nod.

1/26/2010 #21
writingbythepower

Jackson walked out of the room, not entirely content with himself. While he did not prefer to stay in the military without combat, teaching was never his most remarkable accomplishment. Still, it meant being around his lovely wife. He nodded in agreement with the pyschological compromise, walked briskly down the stairs and toward his horse.

Walter looked up to Lee, gave a slight nod. "And sir," he said, "Is there anything that I may do for you?"

1/26/2010 #22
SnowClaw of Windclan

"Not at the moment, Mr. Taylor. However, when I finish these it would be most helpful of you to have them sent back to the Senate." The bills mainly were more officially declared versions of old policies, as well as the tax changes that needed to be filed by the end of the month. Being in an office was a large change from being on the field, but President Lee was getting used to it, if not gradually.

1/26/2010 #23
writingbythepower

Taylor nodded. "Certainly sir. Be sure to rest, sir, if you are in need of strength." Taylor smiled slightly, hoping that Lee had listened. The older man wasn't stubborn, just didn't think about it. The necessary time would come for him to sleep, as Lee would put it. Any other time there is work to be done.

1/26/2010 #24
SnowClaw of Windclan

Lee smiled ruefully. "Mr. Taylor, I thank you for your concern, but I will be alright until I have enough time to rest." Taylor was an intelligent young man, obviously destined to go far in life. Robert had the feeling that if he lived that long he would see Walter prosper in the new nation that had been brought up, just as the hundreds of others his age, in their prime, would.

1/26/2010 #25
writingbythepower

Taylor nodded. "Alright, sir. Be sure to not write to much and cramp your hand. If you are in need of anything, I shall be right here." He pointed over through the door to his small desk and office space. He wished to always be ready for when Lee was in need of him, so that whatever the President needed done could be done quickly. Walter may not have the intelligence or the position, but he had the strength and energy to carry out anything he could for Lee.

1/26/2010 . Edited 1/26/2010 #26
SnowClaw of Windclan

Cramp my hand? Well, if nothing else, the former aide cared about his wellbeing. Lee smiled gently, half-amused at Walter's sentiment. Cramp my hand. "Yes, Mr. Taylor. Thank you, I shall inform you if anything is needed." He looked down at the papers, reading over a now-familiar tax bill. The president signed it, setting it on the left side of the desk and taking another one from the right side. Light dappled the desk from between the half-open white plantation blinds over the window.

1/26/2010 #27
writingbythepower

Taylor nodded, walked out of the room and over to his desk. He settled down and looked over some papers, thinking. He was used to this, office work. He missed the battlefield as well, wished he could be back in the saddle and riding across fields spreading orders. But, this was the life that he was given, and a joyous one with his new nation's victory. He looked over to the door that led to the Presidential Office. Men like him gave us the victory. He gave us the victory.

1/26/2010 #28
SnowClaw of Windclan

Lee looked over at the stack on the right of the desk. There were three bills left to be read over, each fairly lengthy, but such was the nature of office work, he supposed. The President leaned back in his chair, closing his eyes for a moment, his head bent as if he were looking up at the ceiling. Senators and Representatives were both crafty, different in their ways ever so slightly to where it was just barely evident. And, crafty as they were, they knew how to look for loopholes, to be the enemy to themselves as they looked over their bills. It was an interesting process.

1/26/2010 #29
SnowClaw of Windclan

When he had finished working on the bills, President Lee bowed the door to his secretary's office, clearing his throat to make his presence known. "Mr. Taylor, when you have a moment I would appreciate these being delivered to the Senate." He entered the room, setting the papers on the corner of the table. A gentle smile showed on his features for a moment. Don't cramp your hand, sir.

1/28/2010 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: SnowClaw of Windclan writingbythepower
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member