A Foreign World
November, 1862. A last battle is held in Lexington, Kentucky, cornering the Union army against the Appalachian Mountains. A surrender is filed and the Civil War ends. Now it is the middle of the month, and reconstruction has begun...
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
writingbythepower

Taylor gave a slight smile, shook his head again. "Sir, I'm fine, I promise. It's just rather early in the morning and I this work is not quite as interesting as my mind wished it was. If I feel tired, I will rest. I hope that you do the same, sir." He looked back at Lee, wanting the President to take his advice. Lee was getting old, and needed to rest more to do so much. Taylor could handle a few sleepless nights, but he was sure Lee could not.

2/3/2010 #61
SnowClaw of Windclan

Robert sighed, nodding. He knew that eventually, Walter would get his way, as Mary sided with the aide quite frequently. "I will be back in an hour or so," he stated, turning to leave the room. He gently shut the door behind him, heading down the hall to his bedroom and settling onto the bed to rest beneath the quilts. It soothed his joints, perhaps even made his heart feel better when he laid on his side and rested. Within a few moments, he was asleep, his chest gently rising and falling rhythmically.

2/3/2010 #62
writingbythepower

Taylor smiled, knew the President needed the rest. He looked down at the words he was writing, noticed his hand was not moving fluently. He began to read what he was writing, couldn't make out the words. It was all blury, couldn't be seen. He looked down at them, tried to focus. He leaned in close to the paper, felt his eyelids get heavy. He tried to focus, yelled at himself in his head. He slowly set his head down on the desk and quickly was asleep as well.

2/3/2010 #63
SnowClaw of Windclan

President Lee woke up a few hours later after much thought on Jackson's words. He had sent a courier, not wanting to wake his quietly sleeping secretary in the other room up to run the simple errand, and headed to his own desk, closing his eyes for a moment.

2/10/2010 #64
writingbythepower

((From Richmond))

Jackson got off his horse, tying the reins to a post. He walked into the building as he did before, going up the stairs to Mr. Taylor's office. Taylor was asleep, so Jackson knocked on his desk. Walter looked up sleeply, "General Jackson, sir. A pleasure to see you." Jackson nodded, walked into Lee's office. He stopped, saluted. "Mr. President, you requested to see me?"

2/10/2010 #65
SnowClaw of Windclan

The former general nodded as if it took great effort to do so. There was a certain formal, dignified look to the aging man as he began to spoke, interlacing his fingers on top of the desk. "General Jackson, I took your sentiments into consideration and have decided to assemble a brigade under your command to serve in Texas. However, I do not want nor expect any physical conflict with the Yankees. I do think that you and your men will be able to handle that?"

2/10/2010 #66
writingbythepower

Jackson thought for a moment, nodded. "Certainly sir. I would be very willing to serve in Texas. Under no circumstances would I attack unless provoked, sir." He smiled inside, wanting to be in command of men, even in peace time. Anything better then rotting away in Lexington forever, even though his loving wife would probably want to stay. She will come with me to Texas. She'll enjoy it, where we both can live happily in peace.

2/10/2010 #67
SnowClaw of Windclan

"Mr. Jackson, I trust that you will not fail me, as this is not a military movement as much as it is occupying the state." He smiled thinly, knowing that the order would at the very least allow General Jackson to be placed back into command, instead of resting with very little to do. He could be compared to a racehorse held endlessly in the gates in this time of peace, desperate to run, to command...

2/10/2010 #68
writingbythepower

"Mr. President, I give you my word that in no way will I attack unless I am provoked to do so in defense." He was smiling now, wished to be back in the saddle again. True, he was not commanding men forward into battle, but at least he wasn't sitting and doing nothing. "Is there anything else that you wished to discuss with me, sir?"

2/10/2010 #69
SnowClaw of Windclan

"No, General, there is nothing that I wish to discuss with you at this time. You may leave with the brigade when you see as a fit time." President Lee smiled at him, his mind wandering back to Walter. He was pleased that his secretary had finally fallen asleep...Taylor had been exhausted, and it had been very evident in the way that he had conducted himself...it was good that he had been able to rest.

2/10/2010 #70
writingbythepower

Jackson nodded, stood at attention, then saluted. "Mr. President, it has been a pleasure." He walked out of the room, looked over to where Mr. Taylor was sitting, back asleep. He walked out to his horse, a smile on his face. He would stay in Richmond for a while, would then leave for Lexington and finally Texas. Back in command. Where God has always seen fit for me. He looked up, rose his hands in the air, and gave a short and silent prayer. Then he rode off into the Confederate capital.

2/10/2010 #71
SnowClaw of Windclan

"Certainly." A fatherly affection rose in his throat as he moved forward, quietly shutting the door to his secretary's office. His children had all but grown up now, were around his age as well, come to think of it. There was a certain sense of longing for the days when they were younger, barely learning to walk.

2/10/2010 #72
writingbythepower

Taylor opened his eyes, yawned. He looked over at the door, walked into the Presidential Office. "Sir, were you in need of anything?" He wasn't sure why he had gone in, why he had asked, it was just his nature to help Lee. It made him feel good, to know he had accomplished something good. He tried to smile, gave another yawn. He composed himself and gave a quick smile, walking fully into the office.

2/10/2010 #73
SnowClaw of Windclan

President Lee found himself chuckling softly, shook his head. "No, not that I am aware of, Mr. Taylor, but thank you for your concern." Folding his hands back on top of his desk, he toyed with the idea of asking something, decided to: "Walter, would you like to have dinner with Mary, the girls, and I tonight?" He didn't think that his family had ever really gotten a chance to be in conversation with him.

2/11/2010 #74
writingbythepower
Looking up, slightly surprised by the request, Taylor nodded. "Certainly, sir. I would consider it an honor to spend an evening with you and your family." He gave a smile, looked back down at the papers and wrote a few notes down, trying to remember exactly what he had been thinking before falling asleep.
3/8/2010 #75
SnowClaw of Windclan
"Mr. Taylor, the feeling is mutual. I thank you for being able to come and join us we'll be eating in a few hours." President Lee smiled, bending forward to read something on the desk for a moment before he straightened back up again.
3/8/2010 #76
writingbythepower
"Certainly, sir. It is my pleasure." Smiling again, Taylor yawned and went back to work, writing and thinking until the time came for his appointment with the Lee family. Straightening out his uniform and walking into the private family area of the White House, Walter saw President Lee and smiled as he approached the man. "Thank you again, sir, for this invitation."
3/8/2010 #77
SnowClaw of Windclan
"Mr. Taylor, it is most certainly not a problem. Please, do come in." Robert held open the door. His family was for the most part downstairs, although Agnes was still upstairs. He saw Mildred, smiled gently at the girl. She had always admittedly been his favorite, the baby of the family.

"Lace it a bit tighter." Agnes turned her head slightly to speak to the maid that was tightening the laces on her white corset. She gasped sharply as it knocked the breath out of her, too tight... "A bit less--a bit less--." The maid complied. Much better. She slipped on her dress, looked herself over in the mirror before going downstairs to meet their gust.

3/8/2010 #78
writingbythepower
Taylor walked into the room, walking gently and behind Lee. Seeing Mildred, Taylor took off his hat and gave a small bow. "It is a pleasure to see you, Ms. Lee." He had met all of the Lee family before, but he still believed that proper etiquette was important in front of the Presidential family. And, he thought, proper etiquette in front of a lady.
3/8/2010 #79
SnowClaw of Windclan
Mildred smiled, curtsied slightly. "It's good to see you as well, Mr. Taylor." She felt rather self conscious in her current dress but tried to look more confident around their company. Agnes headed down the stairs and curtsied, smiled at Walter. "Good evening, Mr. Taylor. It'd good that you were able to come for dinner with us."
3/8/2010 #80
writingbythepower
"The pleasure is all mine, miss," he said, bowing again. "May I say that you both look lovely this evening." He could say that, he knew, for two reasons: One, it was polite to compliment the two women and Two, he was in his own committed relationship. Miss Elizabeth Saunders. Smiling inwardly, he thought of her for a moment, thinking of the prospect of marriage again. However, the current event was at hand, and his day dream left as reality came in.
3/8/2010 #81
SnowClaw of Windclan
"Thank you, you look quite well yourself." Agnes smiled, had the feeling that the man was taken. She wordlessly exchanged glances with Mildred, who seemed to take the que by reflex. Mildred seemed dissapointed, but Agnes would prod at her later. Lee smiled, starting towards the table; his daughters followed.
3/8/2010 #82
writingbythepower
Taylor followed the family, standing before the table. Waiting for the ladies and President Lee to sit, he took his own seat. Turning to Lee, he once again stated, "Thank you, again, sir. It is an honor to visit with you and your family." He turned toward the ladies, smiled and nodded.
3/8/2010 #83
SnowClaw of Windclan
As they were seated Agnes muttered something in Mildred's ear, too low for the others to be able to hear. Rooney raised both brows, smiling faintly from where he sat. It was a little awkward sitting across from his father's aide but he was overall fond of the man. Mary was seated, smiled. "It's such a pleasure to be able to have you over, Mr. Taylor," the first lady stated, as if measuring her words, the energy they would take...
3/8/2010 #84
writingbythepower
"Thank you ma'am. I don't believe I can put into words how much I enjoy seeing you and your family. It is an pleasure to merely be here." Taylor smiled, nodded at her. She was a fragile woman, in need of care. It seemed to pattern: Mary needed to be carried for by President Lee, President Lee need to be cared for by Taylor. They were all there for each other, but Taylor saw it as his duty to be there to help the first family.
3/8/2010 #85
SnowClaw of Windclan
Mary smiled thinly. It was good to see young people, although it brought about a certain sense of melancholy towards what she had lost, what she had once been. If only she had the health, the energy... She felt a gentle hand over hers beneath the table, was able to recognize it as her husband's. She smiled slightly, closed her eyes for a moment before taking a bite of her meal.
3/8/2010 #86
writingbythepower
Walter began to eat himself, taking small bites of his food as to not finish early. Looking around the table, he suddenly felt out of place. I don't deserve to be here, he thought, I deserve to be back in my office doing work. He threw the thought out of his head, decided to enjoy the evening with the Lee family. It was not everyday that someone was able to join the first family of the Confederacy for dinner.
3/8/2010 #87
SnowClaw of Windclan
"Tell me about your service, Walter. My pa told me a bit about it, not much though." Rooney smiled, taking a bite of his steak. It was good, cooked quite well by the white house cook. Mary was quietly picking at her food, didn't seem to be hungry. Agnes and Mildred were talking amongst themselves about something; he had a good feeling what...
3/8/2010 #88
writingbythepower
"Well, Walter began, "I do much of the paperwork for General... President Lee. Sending notices to the Senate, getting certain forms and such to him... most of it is simple work. I try to help as much as I can, keeping up the job that I had done during the war." He turned to Lee, as if asking his approval for the response.
3/8/2010 #89
SnowClaw of Windclan
Lee smiled at him. He was like a member of the family, another son, about the right age as well. Rooney nodded. "The war was quite something--but we finished off the Yankees just like we said that we would, didn't we?" He smiled, thinking of the cheering and flags waving when they all returned home.
3/8/2010 #90
« Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: SnowClaw of Windclan writingbythepower
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member